UConn/Baylor Game Cancelled | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn/Baylor Game Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think we can all agree we knew this season would play out like this. I am not sure why anyone needs to be thrown under the bus for getting sick. Please just pray for everyone to get through this safely and be grateful for what games we do get to play!!!

Reaction Score
Pro football is employing an inexcusable “next man up” mentality when it comes to positive Covid cases.

Inexcusable how? Players and teams have been penalized for breaking the strict protocols, if you can safely pull it off why not. You gotta have a reactive and realistic approach to this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Inexcusable how, players and teams have been penalized for breaking the strict protocols, if you can safely pull it off why not. You gotta have a reactive and realistic approach to this.

I would add proactive in here as well. Teams had to put plans into place based on what the NFL outlined, and not all teams did it the same way. Some teams have had better success managing through things which should be commended because of what they put in place before the season started.

Reaction Score
In the immortal words of Ricky Watters "For who for what?"
With all the COVID related cancellations going on across the country I'm seriously appalled at the people that think UCONN's WBB priority right now should be finding another game.
Why! Any game right now creates additional risk of COVID exposure to the team and the staff.
Shouldn't we be caring more about the team and staff as human beings than we do about then entertaining us? Stay safe everyone, protect yourselves and your loved ones. This too will pass, soon I hope.
.......End of rant........
You make it seem like everyone is safe unless they play sports. Mulkey caught the virus at home, not on Baylor's campus. And you seem to feel that the players are safer at home. What's your evidence?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
USF just had a game cancelled for SAT and have nothing until next week. I’m sure Jose and Geno would play if they could make it work. USF only lost to Baylor by a few.
The St. Louis University Lady Billikens is on their third 14 day quarantine because of the virus. They have played two games and had the last nine games postponed. Their first five conference games were included in those nine.:confused:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You make it seem like everyone is safe unless they play sports. Mulkey caught the virus at home, not on Baylor's campus. And you seem to feel that the players are safer at home. What's your evidence?
I have never said or posted anything remotely close to these absurd (bolded) statements.

Reaction Score
With all the COVID related cancellations going on across the country I'm seriously appalled at the people that think UCONN's WBB priority right now should be finding another game.
Why! Any game right now creates additional risk of COVID exposure to the team and the staff.
Shouldn't we be caring more about the team and staff as human beings than we do about then entertaining us? Stay safe everyone, protect yourselves and your loved ones. This too will pass, soon I hope.

I inferred that "additional risk" referred to playing games. Show me how. How is playing a game any worse than spending holidays with family? I say it may be less risky.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I inferred that "additional risk" referred to playing games. Show me how. How is playing a game any worse than spending holidays with family? I say it may be less risky.
You have inferred crookedly. My statement had nothing to do with playing vs staying home and spending holidays with family. It has everything to do with playing ANOTHER game (make up game). Every additional game brings the team and staff in contact with a new set of people that have to provide logistics to support the event. The more people you come in contact the more the risk at least that's what the CDC tells me.

Reaction Score
You have inferred crookedly. My statement had nothing to do with playing vs staying home and spending holidays with family. It has everything to do with playing ANOTHER game (make up game). Every additional game brings the team and staff in contact with a new set of people that have to provide logistics to support the event. The more people you come in contact the more the risk at least that's what the CDC tells me.

I think not playing gives an appearance of greater concern by the schools but in reality offers little.
Of course there is risk. But there is risk all around. In fact I say there is less risk playing one basketball game than me going to the grocery store. Those players have a professional support staff watching their backs 24/7. When I go shopping my only protection is the degree to which those in the store are protecting themselves voluntarily. I have never been tested nor even asked to test and I assume that the grocery store has many like me walking through every hour. What Duke has done provides no additional safety. I lived in a dorm and safety was not high on my list and my bad decisions were regretted the next day but not when I did them. If the NCAA cancelled basketball altogether I can guarantee that there would be more positives among the players than if they all played and practiced under the current guidelines.

My suspicion about schools stopping play is that some of them stopped only because they hit a tipping point with players wanting to stop. On a wbb team that could be 4 out of 10. Then they say that it was "the players' decision". Just about all these teams were off to horrible starts and it may be that some players would play but not under the conditions laid out for their behavior. UConn has nothing but highly motivated players but college bb is loaded with players to whom basketball is a means to an end and the thought of saying goodbye to your significant other(s) for months and living in a closed environment with team mates is too big a price.
And all these things are ignored in everyone falling over themselves to protect their players.

Reaction Score
The big east also has 5 teams who are currently on pause. I almost wish the conference would do back to back games at one location given the uncertainty of the season. Each big east team plays 5 sets of 2 home games, and 5 sets of 2 away games. It seems like half the battle is getting teams onto the court. Once you have a pair of teams cleared to play, get their two games in while you can. Reduces the total conference traveling in half.

So far this season, the non-conference schedule has been a dumpster fire. If no more cancellations/additions, we will end at Umass Lowell, Tennessee, and South Carolina. We are currently on a stretch where we will play 2 games in 24 eligible days (12/23-01/15). Crazy season. At this point I plan to enjoy any opportunity to watch our team, since there likely won't be a ton of games.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The big east also has 5 teams who are currently on pause. I almost wish the conference would do back to back games at one location given the uncertainty of the season. Each big east team plays 5 sets of 2 home games, and 5 sets of 2 away games. It seems like half the battle is getting teams onto the court. Once you have a pair of teams cleared to play, get their two games in while you can. Reduces the total conference traveling in half.

So far this season, the non-conference schedule has been a dumpster fire. If no more cancellations/additions, we will end at Umass Lowell, Tennessee, and South Carolina. We are currently on a stretch where we will play 2 games in 24 eligible days (12/23-01/15). Crazy season. At this point I plan to enjoy any opportunity to watch our team, since there likely won't be a ton of games.

The Big South made that decision back in Nov/Dec

Reaction Score
So you’re saying shut it down? Ok, that’s a point of view. No ranting necessary IMO.
I thought Geno and UConn were still open for business. If they are, which I believe is so (although I miss things, like the ACC rescheduling a day ago), then aren’t we striving for the best season for the players that we can, as safe as we can.
Therefore, IMO Let’s play if we can.

Reaction Score
I think not playing gives an appearance of greater concern by the schools but in reality offers little.
Of course there is risk. But there is risk all around. In fact I say there is less risk playing one basketball game than me going to the grocery store. Those players have a professional support staff watching their backs 24/7. When I go shopping my only protection is the degree to which those in the store are protecting themselves voluntarily. I have never been tested nor even asked to test and I assume that the grocery store has many like me walking through every hour. What Duke has done provides no additional safety. I lived in a dorm and safety was not high on my list and my bad decisions were regretted the next day but not when I did them. If the NCAA cancelled basketball altogether I can guarantee that there would be more positives among the players than if they all played and practiced under the current guidelines.

My suspicion about schools stopping play is that some of them stopped only because they hit a tipping point with players wanting to stop. On a wbb team that could be 4 out of 10. Then they say that it was "the players' decision". Just about all these teams were off to horrible starts and it may be that some players would play but not under the conditions laid out for their behavior. UConn has nothing but highly motivated players but college bb is loaded with players to whom basketball is a means to an end and the thought of saying goodbye to your significant other(s) for months and living in a closed environment with team mates is too big a price.
And all these things are ignored in everyone falling over themselves to protect their players.
SMU 0-6 cancelled their seaeon.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I don't share your suspicion. I'm not sure why you compare your situation & risk regarding COVID with the players and the coaching staff. Every single WCBB player had the option to opt out of playing (still do) without loss of scholarship. Very few did, For me to share your suspicion I would have to believe that young women (more than 1/2 UCONN WBB team) who are 6.5 months removed from attending their senior proms are capable of comprehending the dangers of COVID to themselves and others. The Duke women have made their decision and have provide a very credible reason for doing so. The tipping point for Duke per Jade Williams was when they asked the NCAA to ensure that the opposing teams were tested everyday as the Duke team was being tested. The NCAA refused. I applaud the Duke women for the decision they made.
I would also strongly reject you notion that "college bb is loaded with players to whom basketball is a means to an end....." or that UCONN is unique in this regard. I know better. The difference between UCONN and other women's basketball programs is not in the dedication to the game it is in the talent level. I guarantee you that the women's team at Vanguard are equally dedicated to the game as the players talented enough to wear a UCONN uniform.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So you’re saying shut it down? Ok, that’s a point of view. No ranting necessary IMO.
I thought Geno and UConn were still open for business. If they are, which I believe is so (although I miss things, like the ACC rescheduling a day ago), then aren’t we striving for the best season for the players that we can, as safe as we can.
Therefore, IMO Let’s play if we can.
I wasn't saying shut it down in this particular post which was before I found out the Zavier game was postponed. I was saying don't go seeking a makeup game for Baylor. I would not be opposed to a shut down at this point. Time for some concerned adults to step in.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
SMU 0-6 cancelled their seaeon.
& No crowds allowed anywhere
& Duke WBB shut down
& 5 Big East WBB teams have had to Pause
& 3 SEC teams have had to Pause
& 5 ACC Teams have had to Pause
& The Ivy League cancelled the season for all winter sports
& the Patriot league said only conference games
& Stanford couldn't play home games in 2020.
& COVID cost Trevor Lawrence the Heisman trophy.
& COVID rates are worse now ( and rising) than when the NCAA, NBA, MLB suspended operations last year..
& UCONN WBB has had 5 games postponed or cancelled so far this year & have played 6 games yet the calendar says is 2021.
----seriously what are we doing here?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You try hard to play these games for the student athletes. The coaches are at these schools for what 30 plus years? The kids only are at school for a very short time, and will never get this time back. If the colleges don't want to play, the best players should all go to WNBA where they figured it out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You try hard to play these games for the student athletes. The coaches are at these schools for what 30 plus years? The kids only are at school for a very short time, and will never get this time back. If the colleges don't want to play, the best players should all go to WNBA where they figured it out.
The NCAA is essentially giving this year "back"-no one is losing eligibility by playing this season, no one is losing scholarship by opting out, no one is sitting a year in the case of transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom