UConn/Baylor Game Cancelled | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn/Baylor Game Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hopefully Kim and everyone at Baylor will be OK. Unfortunately, these cancellations will happen throughout this season, assuming we get through the season.

It’s worth noting that, unlike UConn, Kim sent everyone home for Christmas.
What's your point?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Hopefully Kim and everyone at Baylor will be OK. Unfortunately, these cancellations will happen throughout this season, assuming we get through the season.

It’s worth noting that, unlike UConn, Kim sent everyone home for Christmas.
Sad, and I also hope everyone is OK, that said I can't believe how reckless Kim was, she put her health at risk, her teams health at risk, and her season at risk. We are all expected to do the right thing and act responsibly, plus she has the added well being of her team on her plate. No I don't know all the particulars but it does seem short sighted sending her team home while she enjoyed a family get together.
Kim has to live with the results of her decisions, as does her team, UCONN,& all the fans of both teams, plus the national audience looking forward to the game. Am I being to harsh? Maybe, if so I'm good with it. After all is said and done at this point the health and well being of all is of the utmost importance. Praying for a full recovery for Kim and all involved.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What's your point?
When you go home for Holidays, there is always a potential risk for exposure from family or other people. Not that it still can't happen when you are on campus but kids will be kids. Coaches can only tell players to be smart when they do.

I think as Nick Saban earlier this year, athletes are probably safer in their bubble with their team competing than they are at home. They are constantly tested and monitored routinely throughout the week. Less time to go off "party" and get exposed as well. If we didn't have a season, what do you think a lot of these kids would be doing?

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
If Kim tested positive after making contact with her staff and players, it makes total sense to cancel.

Considering what we know about this virus, and the potential impact of a positive on so many people, it looks a little odd that she didn't wait until AFTER the results came in to contact team and staff. Second guessing? Yes, guilty. But this is COVID-world and things are different now. She has ready access to testing and apparently gets the results quickly. Why not be sure.

'Nuff said. Total bummer for both programs.

Reaction Score
Pro football is employing an inexcusable “next man up” mentality when it comes to positive Covid cases.
I agree! The NFL is plowing through the middle of town like a Panzer tank in a WWII movie, knocking things down, shooting anything that moves. WCBB not so much. The power of the public. Billion dollar industry. Will be interesting to see if any reports of malfeasance by the league are uncovered or revealed after the dust clears. Similar to how it used to behave regarding concussions? Remember, the shobiz credo, "the show must go on". There's a deep heritage of this philosophy in our culture. Merriam Webster says it goes back to Shakespeare.

Reaction Score
I believe that if UConn does not play a another game out of Conference and does go undefeated in the Big East they will still end up one of the #1 seeds. COVID is the one that is doing it and I don't think the NCAA would end up punishing UConn because they didn't happen. They were scheduled and it's no ones fault that they had to be cancelled. I would love to see Louisville and UConn play, but I don't see it happening. Jeff has decided to play powder puffs so he can get his team up to speed for the ACC run and then the NCAA's if it happens.
You don't know Walz very well. His track record over 14 seasons shows that he will play anyone, anywhere. He's been reaching out to every team he can think of during this craziness. Had two replacement games with Top 15 teams lined up only to have Covid-related issues force changed plans. The on-off-on-off-on-off game with UNC resulted in one of those Top 15 scheduled-cancelled-rescheduled-cancelled situations.

I'd love to see Louisville play UConn here, there, or anywhere. So would all of our fans.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yea, except Baylor’s players were fine. Kim probably had Christmas in Waco with family members. Would she have done anything differently if the players had not gone home?

My point being that she spent Christmas AT HOME with family members. This is what our girls would have done. If Kim was exposed by a family member(s), the same thing could have happened to one or more of our players.

Not throwing shade on Kim here. She did nothing wrong. Most of us spent Christmas with our close families, I did. That's what you do at Christmas.

I'm simply saying that it happened to Kim. It can happen to anyone. By remaining on campus and in a relative "bubble", our girls avoided the possibility of being exposed by a random family member (not knowing they were carrying the virus) during family gatherings at home or other family member's homes.

Had one or more of our girls returned to campus positive, our program would have been put on "pause" again. Been there, done that. That's a road we don't need to go down again. We're still playing catch up from our late start.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not sure about her thinking she is "smarter than the scientists"

I see a lot of coaches giving the okay for the athletes to go see their families. It certainly is a risk going home as you just don't know what goes on when they are away. At the same time during this pandemic, I know mental health is a major issue and a lot of these kids have been restricted already a ton and haven't seen their families in a while. LSU recently had an athlete try to commit suicide due to lack of social contact from others due to this virus and being away from people. Its a very sad thing.

With that said, the players seemed to do okay for Baylor after going home. The issue was Kim getting exposed and then tested positive much later after having multiple negative and no symptoms at the time she came back. Its very unfortunate but this won't be the last time something happens like this this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
NFL gonna NFL

The issue is she returned and was in contact with the team, then she tested positive. So now all the players have to be tested and further evaluated before being cleared.

If she had not returned to team activities on Monday, this game would get played. I'm not blaming Kim at all, was just saying. This virus works weirdly as do testing results at times. A large portion don't show symptoms then test positive in different stages while others have very different reactions to the virus.

Interesting, this is what i mean, so complexing, there just needs to be more consistency in testing, we need better answers.

Reaction Score
Sad, and I also hope everyone is OK, that said I can't believe how reckless Kim was, she put her health at risk, her teams health at risk, and her season at risk. We are all expected to do the right thing and act responsibly, plus she has the added well being of her team on her plate. No I don't know all the particulars but it does seem short sighted sending her team home while she enjoyed a family get together.
Kim has to live with the results of her decisions, as do her team, UCONN,& all the fans of both teams, plus the national audience looking forward to the game. Am I being to harsh? Maybe, if so I'm good with it. After all is said and done at this point the health and well being of all is of the utmost importance. Praying for a full recovery for Kim and all involved.
Spot on IMO! Is it possible to have good thoughts for Kim's health and recovery and also vehemently disapprove of her actions? I say YES!
I think Geno has played this entire situation perfectly from Day 1. He has been a positive voice as a leader and he has challenged his team to do the right thing. And as a great leader, he has used his strength and the strength of the program to not only pull his team closer together but to also keep them safe.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
My point being that she spent Christmas AT HOME with family members. This is what our girls would have done. If Kim was exposed by family a family member(s), so may have one or more of our players.

Not throwing shade on Kim here. She did nothing wrong. Most of us spent Christmas with our close families, I did.

I'm simply saying that it happened to Kim. It can happen to anyone. By remaining on campus and in a relative "bubble", our girls avoided the possibility of being exposed by a random family member (not knowing they were carrying the virus) during family gatherings at home and other family member's homes.
Maybe, however Kim has added responsibility that most of us don't. Not to beat that smelly ole dead horse, but she appears to have been reckless.

Reaction Score
Pro football is employing an inexcusable “next man up” mentality when it comes to positive Covid cases.

Places of employment have done it too.This whole shut it down if some one tests positive is just not a feasible situation. Have some plan reschedule the game next week if you have to. Need to expect and react to positive tests not run away and hide from it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My point being that she spent Christmas AT HOME with family members. This is what our girls would have done. If Kim was exposed by family a family member(s), so may have one or more of our players.

Not throwing shade on Kim here. She did nothing wrong. Most of us spent Christmas with our close families, I did.

I'm simply saying that it happened to Kim. It can happen to anyone. By remaining on campus and in a relative "bubble", our girls avoided the possibility of being exposed by a random family member (not knowing they were carrying the virus) during family gatherings at home and other family member's homes.
I spent Christmas and New Years at home with my wife. We FaceTimed everyone else. I would much rather have spent the holidays with my son and his family, or my brother and his family, but missing one holiday season with family pales in comparison to the possibility of spreading this terrible virus.

Reaction Score
I spent Christmas and New Years at home with my wife. We FaceTimed everyone else. I would much rather have spent the holidays with my son and his family, or my brother and his family, but missing one holiday season with family pales in comparison to the possibility of spreading this terrible virus.
I moved to Alaska to teach young people in a Native village. My Mom is 92 and I haven't been able to get to see her since July 2019, because of this pandemic. My sister suggested I not come to the lower 48 because of the risk to her and to Mom.
Everybody that is responding responsibly to the situation has a story like ours.
Come on Kim!!!

Reaction Score
This is potentially a big blow for UConn. They may only have 1 legit "test" with SC before the Final Eight/Four. What happens if UConn loses the game to SC - does that knock them from a 1-seed due to very weak schedule? I think its imperative for UConn to schedule more games with ranked teams now!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm not sure about her thinking she is "smarter than the scientists"

I see a lot of coaches giving the okay for the athletes to go see their families. It certainly is a risk going home as you just don't know what goes on when they are away. At the same time during this pandemic, I know mental health is a major issue and a lot of these kids have been restricted already a ton and haven't seen their families in a while. LSU recently had an athlete try to commit suicide due to lack of social contact from others due to this virus and being away from people. Its a very sad thing.

With that said, the players seemed to do okay for Baylor after going home. The issue was Kim getting exposed and then tested positive much later after having multiple negative and no symptoms at the time she came back. Its very unfortunate but this won't be the last time something happens like this this season.
I get that you're Kim's biggest cheerleader, but please don't minimize her irresponsible behavior.

Why the point about "much later"? It's within the normal incubation period between exposure and positivity. Previous negative tests and the absence of symptoms mean diddly squat at that point, and she's smart enough to know that.

It's "unfortunate" in the sense that willfully reckless behavior resulting in an accident is unfortunate.

Reaction Score
To them, the money the NFL makes is worth that risk. Women's basketball don't make enough money to even begin to consider risks.

Yes I get that, just think you could have an improvised plan in place to reschedule.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I believe that if UConn does not play a another game out of Conference and does go undefeated in the Big East they will still end up one of the #1 seeds. COVID is the one that is doing it and I don't think the NCAA would end up punishing UConn because they didn't happen. They were scheduled and it's no ones fault that they had to be cancelled. I would love to see Louisville and UConn play, but I don't see it happening. Jeff has decided to play powder puffs so he can get his team up to speed for the ACC run and then the NCAA's if it happens.

Agreed. I think UCONN is safe unless they have a bad loss along the way. At the end of the day seeding isn't going to matter with the tournament likely being held in one location, assuming we still get a normal tournament. If they follow S-curve, the difference between being #4 or #5 is negligible with no crowds and everyone playing in the same location. I dont see any way UCONN drops lower than 5th if they win out, even if they don't play SC.

Reaction Score
I get that you're Kim's biggest cheerleader, but please don't minimize her irresponsible behavior.

Why the point about "much later"? It's within the normal incubation period between exposure and positivity. Previous negative tests and the absence of symptoms mean diddly squat at that point, and she's smart enough to know that.

Send a email to Baylor’s medical staff. that’s a reasonable argument and it’s weird that the Baylor medical staff would clear her to go back to see her team.

i just disagree with people attacking for allowing the kids to go home to see their families. We can agree to disagree on that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom