Men - UConn Baseball 2024 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2024

Reaction Score
Forgive my ignorance (as usual): how will the cold weather coming through affect the next week plus for the team?
Any big snow will be plowed off field, work indoors as needed. Business as usual, getting back outside ASAP. Maybe a few days of outside limitations. The field condition is no longer an issue and they get out there when it’s really cold.

Reaction Score
Any big snow will be plowed off field, work indoors as needed. Business as usual, getting back outside ASAP. Maybe a few days of outside limitations. The field condition is no longer an issue and they get out there when it’s really cold.
And indoor fielding/team practice at Schenkman for the time it is frostbite cold.

Reaction Score

Looks like the first practice was inside. Next week temperatures are expected to return to over 40 degrees in the Storrs area, so I would expect there might be some outside practices at that point.

Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting to see who ends up getting the majority of the playing time in center field for UConn. It seems to be a contest between either TC Simmons and Drew Kron. I have taken a liking to Simmons ever since he arrived at UConn. I also took a liking to Drew Kron when he played summer ball in 2022 for the Norwich Sea Unicorns of the Futures League. I loved Kron's defense and speed as well as his baseball instincts that he showed in Norwich. One thing for certain, defensively UConn would be in very good shape with either of them in center field. Suppose it is always possible there could be a platoon between the two of them in center field, but we will see what happens.

Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting to see who ends up getting the majority of the playing time in center field for UConn. It seems to be a contest between either TC Simmons and Drew Kron. I have taken a liking to Simmons ever since he arrived at UConn. I also took a liking to Drew Kron when he played summer ball in 2022 for the Norwich Sea Unicorns of the Futures League. I loved Kron's defense and speed as well as his baseball instincts that he showed in Norwich. One thing for certain, defensively UConn would be in very good shape with either of them in center field. Suppose it is always possible there could be a platoon between the two of them in center field, but we will see what happens.
I think if Kron hits a little the position is his. His instincts, legs and arm are all better in the outfield. If they go to Tampa the first weekend and Drew looks over matched at the plate maybe that changes the next weekend at Cal Berkeley. Definitely have some depth out there this year.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
2 years ago TC was a key cog in getting us to 1 win away from Omaha. He was good in the outfield, more than serviceable on the basepaths, and showed occasional pop with the stick. Unless Kron has a higher upside ala Korey Morton, than TC needs to be out there. Just think of the speed with TC Kron and Morton out there

Reaction Score
2 years ago TC was a key cog in getting us to 1 win away from Omaha. He was good in the outfield, more than serviceable on the basepaths, and showed occasional pop with the stick. Unless Kron has a higher upside ala Korey Morton, than TC needs to be out there. Just think of the speed with TC Kron and Morton out there
I agree that TC was crucial for us in that run. However, he looked like a shell of himself last year returning from injury. Would love for him to return to that form but he was given a decent leash last year and it never came to fruition. Would not surpirse me to see Kron start the year or them split time the first few travel weekends before one emerges with a hot bat.

Reaction Score
I think if Kron hits a little the position is his. His instincts, legs and arm are all better in the outfield. If they go to Tampa the first weekend and Drew looks over matched at the plate maybe that changes the next weekend at Cal Berkeley. Definitely have some depth out there this year.
I agree that TC was crucial for us in that run. However, he looked like a shell of himself last year returning from injury. Would love for him to return to that form but he was given a decent leash last year and it never came to fruition. Would not surpirse me to see Kron start the year or them split time the first few travel weekends before one emerges with a hot bat.

In my mind Simmons and Kron pretty much share the same strengths and weaknesses in their game. The biggest difference is that Simmons is a lefty hitter, and Kron is a righty hitter. Both are strong defensive outfielders with good speed. The big question is will either one be showing something on offense when the season starts. I expect that will pretty much determine who ends up getting more time in center field during the season. Simmons was also recovering from injury during fall ball, so I doubt that helped him any in trying to take the job.

Reaction Score

<2024 Preseason Baseball All-BIG EAST Team and Awards

Preseason Player of the Year

Jake Studley, OF, UConn

Preseason Pitcher of the Year

Stephen Quigley, SP, UConn>

Garrett Coe also named to the Preseason All-Big East Team

Reaction Score
Perusing the 2024 Preseason All-American Teams. Players Uconn MAY come across in 2024:

1) First team - Northeastern Mike Sirota CF (.346/18/54) - Saw him last year at Elliott had a big day but was overshadowed by Maldonado. Projected first-round pick (high as #11). He's probably helping drive NE to be ranked in some preseason polls.

2) First team - Kansas St. Tyson Neighbors Closer (5-1/1.85/11 saves) May start in '24. (This game at Elliott is a must attend -see Culpepper below)

3) Second team - UCLA Duce Gourson 2B (.319/10/48)

4) Second team- UC Santa Barbara Hudson Barrett Closer (6-1/1.92/6 saves)

5) Second team - Indiana St Jared Spencer Closer (3-2/3.86/7 saves)

6) Third team - UC Santa Barbara Matt Ager SP (5-4/3.12) UCSB pitching is loaded from what I've read. 8 quality arms battling for starting roles.

Additional Comments
1) Player of Year: Nick Kurtz Wake 1B (projected top pick in this year's draft; Btw saw Caglianone at #4 overall)

2) Pitcher of the year: Chase Burns Wake (transfer from Tenn throws 100mph+ projected top third of first-round pick in draft - Understatement but Wake is stacked - I believe 4-5 projected first-round picks)

3) Kaelen Culpepper Kansas St SS projected first-round pick (no all-America honors)

4) Caleb Lomavita Cal C projected first-round pick (no all-America honors) (saw him last year in series at Berkeley - Caught my eye but wasn't thinking 1st round - standard disclaimer - I'm not a scout and small sample size.)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom