Men - UConn Baseball 2024 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2024

Reaction Score
Has there been any news coming out of camp considering we’re 2 weeks out…? Weekend staff outlook? Setup/closer roles? CF? Etc etc. I haven’t seen anything posted on this platform at least.
I guess the biggest news seems to be they've have been eating well over the winter. ;) ...It looks like most of them put on more weight (10-20 lbs or more) than guys on the football team do in an off season. Bulking up for maximum results ? IDK, but I was seriously shocked when I looked at the new weights on this years roster.....compared to last fall. I guess the roster still has to be paired down (red shirts, etc.) from 45 to the 35 players ( IIRC) that they need to play with. They used 32 players in games last year.

1706967886602.jpeg

Reaction Score
I guess the biggest news seems to be they've have been eating well over the winter. ;) ...It looks like most of them put on more weight (10-20 lbs or more) than guys on the football team do in an off season. Bulking up for maximum results ? IDK, but I was seriously shocked when I looked at the new weights on this years roster.....compared to last fall. I guess the roster still has to be paired down (red shirts, etc.) from 45 to the 35 players ( IIRC) that they need to play with. They used 32 players in games last year.

View attachment 95998
Good stuff here but I’ve never personally put a lot into team measurable’s in sports. Especially baseball. Bulking up in baseball is entirely different. It’s not necessarily always a good thing…also I think team height/weight numbers are greatly exaggerated.

Reaction Score
Good stuff here but I’ve never personally put a lot into team measurable’s in sports. Especially baseball. Bulking up in baseball is entirely different. It’s not necessarily always a good thing…also I think team height/weight numbers are greatly exaggerated.
True, it is what it is...seems new for Uconn BB to bump numbers up like this though. Can't recall it over the years & years of following this stuff. And it's not like teams across all sports, pro & college, don't fudge some #'s.

Lately it seems like ever recruit, portal or otherwise, shrink when they get to Uconn and are measure in the 8th of an inch metric, that I hate, BTW, which Edsall ( Mr. Ethical, LOL) installed for his Uconn FB rosters. (can't they just round up like a normal college program, SMH! )

Reaction Score
Has there been any news coming out of camp considering we’re 2 weeks out…? Weekend staff outlook? Setup/closer roles? CF? Etc etc. I haven’t seen anything posted on this platform at least.
NEBJ and D1 baseball.com should be releasing season previews shortly. From what I've read so far from the fall stuff. Quigley, Cooke, and Coe will start out as weekend starters assuming they are healthy.

Reaction Score

View attachment 95998

The online roster on the UConn athletics website currently lists 44 players when I looked at it yesterday. The roster limit for the spring playing season is 40 players this season, so 4 players will have be removed from the spring playing roster. There were postings on the Boneyard suggesting that Jude Abbadessa and Tom Galusha may miss the season due to injuries, so they may not be on the spring roster if they are not currently on a baseball scholarship with UConn baseball. Players on a full or partial scholarship must be included on the spring roster, whether or not they are able to play.

Reaction Score
NEBJ and D1 baseball.com should be releasing season previews shortly. From what I've read so far from the fall stuff. Quigley, Cooke, and Coe will start out as weekend starters assuming they are healthy.

D1Baseball.com has recently been releasing conference season previews, but they have not yet done the Big East preview. Hopefully it will be soon.

Yes, it would seem that S. Quigley, Cooke, and Coe look to be the most likely weekend starters assuming they are healthy. However it would not surprise me if Cooke and/or Coe end up having big roles out of the bullpen if a some other pitchers on the staff emerge and make a big impression on the coaching staff as possible starting candidates. Cooke and Coe have both shown in the past that they can be quite impressive out of the bullpen. But until something like that happens, it certainly looks like Cooke and Coe will be weekend starters.

Reaction Score

Luke Broadhurst

Last season Broadhurst got all his playing time at the D.H. spot. It will be interesting to see where Broadhurst gets playing time this season, whether he continues getting time at D.H., or possibly at either 1B or 3B.

Reaction Score
True, it is what it is...seems new for Uconn BB to bump numbers up like this though. Can't recall it over the years & years of following this stuff. And it's not like teams across all sports, pro & college, don't fudge some #'s.

Lately it seems like ever recruit, portal or otherwise, shrink when they get to Uconn and are measure in the 8th of an inch metric, that I hate, BTW, which Edsall ( Mr. Ethical, LOL) installed for his Uconn FB rosters. (can't they just round up like a normal college program, SMH! )
Yea i would think a majority of programs do…I wasn’t referring to Uconn exaggerating measurable’s, I myself assume it’s done across the board in sports.

Reaction Score
Amore piece on Garrett Coe:

Backdoor cutter <<

A very good piece on Coe. From the article:

<Coe may start on one of the weekend slots, or could be a reliever that pitches multiple innings for the Huskies this season. During the double-elimination Big East and NCAA Regional tournaments that can stretch a staff, Coe has been invaluable.>

Reaction Score
I think Quinn is a possible candidate to end up in the weekend starting rotation for UConn this coming season.
I’m inclined to think for Coe considering their lefties but they brought in a few I believe. Maybe for Cooke. Hope so

Reaction Score
The first 17 games outside the Northeast I break into 3 chunks:

#1 (6) 3 in Tampa and 3 @ Cal-Berkeley Manageable - good teams but not playing anyone ranked.
#2 (7) 3 @ Auburn, 3 @ UCSB and 1 @ UCLA - Toughest stretch of season on paper. All ranked teams in at least 1 poll. Gauntlet
#3 (4) 1 @ UC Irvine and 3 @ Cal-Baptist - Sort of like chunk 1. Good teams but manageable

First 2 weeks they get a chance to get their feet wet then it's big boy baseball with that second chunk.

Excited to see the initial on-field product in Tampa, but my hunch is patience will be warranted as this team is a work in progress (e.g. pitching will need time to take shape, develop, and form an identity).

Reaction Score
The first 17 games outside the Northeast I break into 3 chunks:

#1 (6) 3 in Tampa and 3 @ Cal-Berkeley Manageable - good teams but not playing anyone ranked.
#2 (7) 3 @ Auburn, 3 @ UCSB and 1 @ UCLA - Toughest stretch of season on paper. All ranked teams in at least 1 poll. Gauntlet
#3 (4) 1 @ UC Irvine and 3 @ Cal-Baptist - Sort of like chunk 1. Good teams but manageable

First 2 weeks they get a chance to get their feet wet then it's big boy baseball with that second chunk.

Excited to see the initial on-field product in Tampa, but my hunch is patience will be warranted as this team is a work in progress (e.g. pitching will need time to take shape, develop, and form an identity).
Hope for Rain/Snow the Week of 3/19. Has letdown written all over it. As u mentioned, bigtime schools, going back n forth out west, quick turnaround and difficult games to get motivated for even though URI is pretty good. Hoping for cancellations…then to Rutgers

Reaction Score

Agree with this. I'm inclined to think that UConn baseball has a bunch of potentially talented players on the roster, both in terms of position players and pitchers, but it seems to me there are very few positions on the team where positions are firmly set with a particular player ready to go. As is said above, for UConn baseball to a big impression on college baseball this season, players need to develop and fit into various roles on the team, both in the starting lineup and on the pitching staff.

Reaction Score
Not sure there is much exaggeration. When I was there, we weighed in right in front of the strength coach on the first day of testing (either fall or spring). Your body weight had a big impact on your strength rating. No idea if its still in place but we used to have a metrics based system that would rank you based on your weight and position so beefing up your weight would negatively impact your rating.

Reaction Score
Not sure there is much exaggeration. When I was there, we weighed in right in front of the strength coach on the first day of testing (either fall or spring). Your body weight had a big impact on your strength rating. No idea if its still in place but we used to have a metrics based system that would rank you based on your weight and position so beefing up your weight would negatively impact your rating.
But was the bulking up more of negative impact on the field in terms of performance baseball wise? Or were the effects more rating based as u alluded to? I guess my point is so u agree that bulking up, in general baseball wise, was typically better as a player or was the negative effect on the rating u were given more the issue?

Reaction Score
But was the bulking up more of negative impact on the field in terms of performance baseball wise? Or were the effects more rating based as u alluded to? I guess my point is so u agree that bulking up, in general baseball wise, was typically better as a player or was the negative effect on the rating u were given more the issue?
As for the measurable’s and exaggeration, you were there, I’ll take ur word that their legit at Uconn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom