Men - UConn Baseball 2024 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2024

Reaction Score
I was looking at the UConn baseball roster on the UConn athletics website. In their biography sections for each player, it now says that Tom Galusha, Jude Abbadessa, and Kyle Peters are now out for the season with injuries.

Reaction Score
I was looking at the UConn baseball roster on the UConn athletics website. In their biography sections for each player, it now says that Tom Galusha, Jude Abbadessa, and Kyle Peters are now out for the season with injuries.
More of the Tommy John bug although the first I heard of Peters, and an injury…

Reaction Score
More of the Tommy John bug although the first I heard of Peters, and an injury…
I believe Peters was recovering from TJ. Not sure if he had a setback or they are being very cautious with him.

Reaction Score

Took another look at the UConn baseball roster on the UConn athletics website. Another RHP, freshman Frank Spirito is out for the season due to an injury. Three of the players out for the season are freshmen, and Abbadessa is a sophomore.

If all 4 of the pitchers who are out for the season with injuries are not currently on a baseball scholarship with UConn, I believe there will be no need to make any other player cuts to the roster prior to the start of the spring season.

Reaction Score
Took another look at the UConn baseball roster on the UConn athletics website. Another RHP, freshman Frank Spirito is out for the season due to an injury. Three of the players out for the season are freshmen, and Abbadessa is a sophomore.

If all 4 of the pitchers who are out for the season with injuries are not currently on a baseball scholarship with UConn, I believe there will be no need to make any other player cuts to the roster prior to the start of the spring season.
Another transfer pitcher I had seen on the Uconn roster before/ in the fall.... but noticed is no longer listed is-

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The first 17 games outside the Northeast I break into 3 chunks:

#1 (6) 3 in Tampa and 3 @ Cal-Berkeley Manageable - good teams but not playing anyone ranked.
#2 (7) 3 @ Auburn, 3 @ UCSB and 1 @ UCLA - Toughest stretch of season on paper. All ranked teams in at least 1 poll. Gauntlet
#3 (4) 1 @ UC Irvine and 3 @ Cal-Baptist - Sort of like chunk 1. Good teams but manageable

First 2 weeks they get a chance to get their feet wet then it's big boy baseball with that second chunk.

Excited to see the initial on-field product in Tampa, but my hunch is patience will be warranted as this team is a work in progress (e.g. pitching will need time to take shape, develop, and form an identity).
I agree that it might be a work in progress early as a team, but I think the pitching, however they utilize it, is the strength. Quigley Cooke Coe Aftim Quinn Sullivan all have game experience n the coaches know what they have there. Finding out how the back end of the bullpen plays out will take some time, but the arms aren’t unknown at least. That’s my reasoning for wanting to see Cooke in the pen. My assumption is Aftim /Cooke will see a lot of innings by years end. That’s ok, better here then summer ball. Maybe it plays out that both Coe/Cooke end up being the backbone of the bullpen n others stepped up to give QS on the weekends…

Based upon what those who’ve posted on boneyard or social media, it seems the losses of Abbadessa/Galusha may be difficult to overcome. 2 bigtime arms from what I’ve read.

Reaction Score
I agree that it might be a work in progress early as a team, but I think the pitching, however they utilize it, is the strength. Quigley Cooke Coe Aftim Quinn Sullivan all have game experience n the coaches know what they have there. Finding out how the back end of the bullpen plays out will take some time, but the arms aren’t unknown at least. That’s my reasoning for wanting to see Cooke in the pen. My assumption is Aftim /Cooke will see a lot of innings by years end. That’s ok, better here then summer ball. Maybe it plays out that both Coe/Cooke end up being the backbone of the bullpen n others stepped up to give QS on the weekends…

Based upon what those who’ve posted on boneyard or social media, it seems the losses of Abbadessa/Galusha may be difficult to overcome. 2 bigtime arms from what I’ve read.

To me a big key for the idea of moving any of the current leading weekend starting pitchers candidates to the bullpen (S. Quigley, Cooke, Coe) depends on UConn baseball developing some of the pitchers on the staff to the degree of being solid starting pitchers as the season progresses. Both Cooke and Coe have shown in the past that if healthy they can be very reliable out of the bullpen, but the key would be finding and developing pitchers in a solid starting role.

Reaction Score
To me a big key for the idea of moving any of the current leading weekend starting pitchers candidates to the bullpen (S. Quigley, Cooke, Coe) depends on UConn baseball developing some of the pitchers on the staff to the degree of being solid starting pitchers as the season progresses. Both Cooke and Coe have shown in the past that if healthy they can be very reliable out of the bullpen, but the key would be finding and developing pitchers in a solid starting role.
Well it appears Quinn is a candidate or maybe better said, a product of the development, according to ur post and some of the news coming out of summer/fall ball comments.

UConn developing players is one of the main reasons I say their on the “cusp”. Literally a few players away is realistic. By away, I mean CWS.

Reaction Score
Regression does not seem to be an issue with the baseball program and it’s players…

Reaction Score

Agree they have a lot of live arms no question and the potential is there hence my excitement. The key will be developing it into a staff that can consistently get guys out at the D1 level (repeat comment by me). By "develop: I mean:
1) Predictable starting rotation that's not constantly in flux (+results and no injuries)
2) Group of middle/late-inning guys who eat up innings (should be doable given quality arms so low risk)
3) Closer who can close games at this level of play. This is not easy.

Agree Abbadessa hurts big time and I don't know much about Galusha but like you said heard good things. I'm very interested early on if we see guys like Tommy Turner (a very interesting prospect) and/or Sean Finn get shots in that middle/late-inning role. I did not see either throw in the fall. I was looking up scouting reports on the freshmen pitchers and 2 common themes were mentioned: 1) "Very good student" and 2) "Teachable". That's a good foundation for growth and success.

Reaction Score
Agree they have a lot of live arms no question and the potential is there hence my excitement. The key will be developing it into a staff that can consistently get guys out at the D1 level (repeat comment by me). By "develop: I mean:
1) Predictable starting rotation that's not constantly in flux (+results and no injuries)
2) Group of middle/late-inning guys who eat up innings (should be doable given quality arms so low risk)
3) Closer who can close games at this level of play. This is not easy.

Agree Abbadessa hurts big time and I don't know much about Galusha but like you said heard good things. I'm very interested early on if we see guys like Tommy Turner (a very interesting prospect) and/or Sean Finn get shots in that middle/late-inning role. I did not see either throw in the fall. I was looking up scouting reports on the freshmen pitchers and 2 common themes were mentioned: 1) "Very good student" and 2) "Teachable". That's a good foundation for growth and success.
Yea I’m not familiar w/ any of the freshmen either so it’ll be interesting to see who gets those shots. I forgot to mention him earlier, but Ellison is another guy and important one at that. The coaches mentioned him being somebody who might get an opportunity early last season and that turned out to be true. He had a role all year. I hadn’t heard any comments re any particular freshmen this preseason. We’ll find out here next week.

Reaction Score
I'm inclined think that in addition to Braden Quinn, other pitchers who may have a shot at moving into the starting rotation would be Gabe Van Emon or Tom Ellisen. Still it will be interesting to see what the coaches say in their preseason interviews with Chris Jones, I'm guessing those interviews will most likely be posted next week a few days before the start of the season. At least those interviews will give us a better idea of how particular players are looking during the fall and preseason, and thus we'll have a better idea of who may be filling what roles on the team, both in terms of the pitching staff and position players.

Reaction Score
I'm inclined think that in addition to Braden Quinn, other pitchers who may have a shot at moving into the starting rotation would be Gabe Van Emon or Tom Ellisen. Still it will be interesting to see what the coaches say in their preseason interviews with Chris Jones, I'm guessing those interviews will most likely be posted next week a few days before the start of the season. At least those interviews will give us a better idea of how particular players are looking during the fall and preseason, and thus we'll have a better idea of who may be filling what roles on the team, both in terms of the pitching staff and position players.
I know nothing about Van Emon, but u might be right about Ellison. It’d be a nice luxury to be able to keep Ellison in the pen and get QS Sat/Sun from other guys. It’s a lot to ask considering ur most experienced arms would hypothetically be in the bullpen outside of Quigley. A pen of Coe Cooke Ellison Aftim Sullivan amongst few others would be extremely strong on paper. I’m not sure that’s realistic though.

Reaction Score
But was the bulking up more of negative impact on the field in terms of performance baseball wise? Or were the effects more rating based as u alluded to? I guess my point is so u agree that bulking up, in general baseball wise, was typically better as a player or was the negative effect on the rating u were given more the issue?
Definitely agree that too much bulk is a hinderence but I dont think we have any guys who are to that point. Obviously pitchers programs are different from catchers and corner infielders but more mass balanced with flexibility reduces injuries as well. Take a peak at MLB players now a days if you see them in atshirt/cutoff/shirtless and shorts. Those guys are more muscular than most think because baseball uniforms hide it more than basketball and football. 60ish games in 100 days takes a toll on a body. One of the good changes I saw during my time was the focus on in season lifting. Previously we would lift hard all fall and winter and then go into the season with no more heavy lifting until the season was over.

In terms of the actual weights, sure there could be some guys are getting bumped up a couple lbs but its not like we are doing it to look good on paper as a whole team. I honestly think those are legit gains over the fall season. Especially for the young guys in their first or second year lifting. 20-30lb gains are not out of the ordinary from 17/18 to 20-21 year olds, probably should be the expectation.

Reaction Score
Jake Studley @ #78:

Definitely agree that too much bulk is a hinderence but I dont think we have any guys who are to that point. Obviously pitchers programs are different from catchers and corner infielders but more mass balanced with flexibility reduces injuries as well. Take a peak at MLB players now a days if you see them in atshirt/cutoff/shirtless and shorts. Those guys are more muscular than most think because baseball uniforms hide it more than basketball and football. 60ish games in 100 days takes a toll on a body. One of the good changes I saw during my time was the focus on in season lifting. Previously we would lift hard all fall and winter and then go into the season with no more heavy lifting until the season was over.

In terms of the actual weights, sure there could be some guys are getting bumped up a couple lbs but its not like we are doing it to look good on paper as a whole team. I honestly think those are legit gains over the fall season. Especially for the young guys in their first or second year lifting. 20-30lb gains are not out of the ordinary from 17/18 to 20-21 year olds, probably should be the expectation.
Good stuff. Baseball seasons regardless of the level at the college level and above is taxing on the body, no doubt about it. MLB players are certainly in better shape then generations ago, but guys playing typically full seasons back the opposed to today is baffling. Another discussion for another day! And that goes for all sports.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about Van Emon, but u might be right about Ellison. It’d be a nice luxury to be able to keep Ellison in the pen and get QS Sat/Sun from other guys. It’s a lot to ask considering ur most experienced arms would hypothetically be in the bullpen outside of Quigley. A pen of Coe Cooke Ellison Aftim Sullivan amongst few others would be extremely strong on paper. I’m not sure that’s realistic though.
Seemed like they were prepping 4 guys as starters in the fall- Cooke, Coe, Quigley and Van Emon. 5th guy in line seemed like it might be Quinn. I’d assume that’s pretty much how they will open the season although with few midweeks at the beginning of the season that 4th guy might end up as a piggyback or bullpen role depending how games play out.

Reaction Score
Seemed like they were prepping 4 guys as starters in the fall- Cooke, Coe, Quigley and Van Emon. 5th guy in line seemed like it might be Quinn. I’d assume that’s pretty much how they will open the season although with few midweeks at the beginning of the season that 4th guy might end up as a piggyback or bullpen role depending how games play out.
I hear ya I’m assuming the same but if Quinn were to be a legit sat/sun starter that would only leave one wknd spot open to fill…if that were ever a reality, leaving all those guys Cooke Coe Ellison etc available for weekend/midweeks bullpen work, then overall it’d be a possibility. It’s a stretch, but only for the typical regular season. Tournament time it plays out that way often.

Reaction Score

From what I recall, in the preseason prior to the start of the regular season, usually about 8 pitchers are stretched for possible use in a starting role every year. It does not necessarily mean that they will all be used in a starting role with the team.

Reaction Score
I know this has been out there for awhile, but news to me as of yesterday…Loer the lefty pitcher outta Xavier transferred to LSU. Would a transfer of this caliber ever be a serious consideration from both sides or is the conference ultimately the issue if transferring w/ in the BE rather then say the SEC where it’d be considered a lateral move at worst. Is that fair? Uconn would have been perfect if it was a fit for all involved. My knowledge of Loer is simply his competing against Uconn last season and what the general consensus was.

Reaction Score
I know this has been out there for awhile, but news to me as of yesterday…Loer the lefty pitcher outta Xavier transferred to LSU. Would a transfer of this caliber ever be a serious consideration from both sides or is the conference ultimately the issue if transferring w/ in the BE rather then say the SEC where it’d be considered a lateral move at worst. Is that fair? Uconn would have been perfect if it was a fit for all involved. My knowledge of Loer is simply his competing against Uconn last season and what the general consensus was.
I don't think UConn is ever going to be at a point where we're competing with LSU for transfers, they're one of the top baseball programs in the country. The reason we got him likely isn't an intra-conference transfer issue, we had Casey Dana transfer from Seton Hall to UConn a few years ago

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn is ever going to be at a point where we're competing with LSU for transfers, they're one of the top baseball programs in the country. The reason we got him likely isn't an intra-conference transfer issue, we had Casey Dana transfer from Seton Hall to UConn a few years ago

UConn baseball has another transfer on the roster this season from Seton Hall. LHP Joe Cinnella, a grad transfer. We will see if he has a positive impact for UConn on the coming season, but I am inclined to think he is not quite the quality player as Casey Dana was. Still, having another lefty on the pitching staff is hardly a bad thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom