Men - UConn Baseball 2023 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2023

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
The cool thing is that apart from Grand Canyon, all of the other programs in the top 25 are “name” programs. Great job by us and our social media accounts.

I guess in this case 13 is a lucky number.

Reaction Score
What are any thoughts of their 2023 pitching?
Will not be as strong as 2022 but definitely have some solid arms. Biggest factor may be how Cooke and other returning arms perform. Cooke, for example, was brilliant at times last year, against solid competition (eg BC, USC), but not so great against slightly higher level teams. If he can level up this year, we will have at least one very solid weekend starter a la Peterson. At least that’s how I see it. Not as confident about newer arms but I’ve been proven wrong on that before!

Reaction Score
What are any thoughts of their 2023 pitching?
Will not be as strong as 2022 but definitely have some solid arms. Biggest factor may be how Cooke and other returning arms perform. Cooke, for example, was brilliant at times last year, against solid competition (eg BC, USC), but not so great against slightly higher level teams. If he can level up this year, we will have at least one very solid weekend starter a la Peterson. At least that’s how I see it. Not as confident about newer arms but I’ve been proven wrong on that before!

I posted the following on the Fall Ball thread a few weeks ago. I have modified it slightly here.

Prior to the start of last season, to me, the depth of the UConn pitching staff was a big question mark on the team. Overall, things turned out quite well in that department last season. The one advantage was that UConn had both Peterson and Gallagher returning to the team as weekend starting pitchers, and it would be safe to say that they both probably turned out to be better than any of us fans were expecting. I would expect Willis to be the chief closer out of the bullpen again, but other roles in the bullpen could shift around depending on who ends up being a starting pitcher this spring.

At this point for the coming spring season, it would be safe to say that there are more questions about the pitching staff than there are about regular lineup. While there are certainly questions at this point on who will fill the starting pitching roles, I do think there appears to be plenty of depth to the UConn pitching staff for the coming season. At worst, I think the pitching will be okay for next season, even though the starting pitching needs to be sorted out. On the other hand if UConn baseball gets a few breaks, the pitching could end up being quite good as well. although I have to admit that it would be hard to match up with what Peterson and Gallagher did last season. Just going to have to stay tuned in to see how things develop as the next spring season approaches.

Given what has gone on in the fall season so far, at this point I would expect Ian Cooke and Andrew Sears to be in the spring weekend starting pitching rotation at the start of the season. Not sure at this point who else on the UConn pitching staff is truly competing for starting pitching roles this season. Also important to remember that 3 of the first 5 weekends of the coming season will require 4 starting pitchers. To me one of the most interesting things that go on in the early part of UConn baseball seasons is how the pitching staff develops.

Reaction Score

Hmm.....No mention yet as to whether or not UConn baseball visited the UConn cemetery today. Seems that usually there are 2 or 3 captains on the baseball team every season, it's a rare year when only one captain is selection. Whatever the case, congrats to David Smith being selected as the team captain.

Reaction Score
Hmm.....No mention yet as to whether or not UConn baseball visited the UConn cemetery today. Seems that usually there are 2 or 3 captains on the baseball team every season, it's a rare year when only one captain is selection. Whatever the case, congrats to David Smith being selected as the team captain.
Congrads for sure Smith! Great Leader … i didn’t see run today i was in area … hmm me 2 … one of the posts the day before said CAPTAINS will be chosen. They have a few that could have assisted him ( Albino Rhino , TC, Morton, and maybe one of the pitchers) But as you said Smith is a Leader so good luck !

Reaction Score

Actually, David Smith clocks in at No. 96, but that is still pretty nice. Still, it is also good to see that D1Baseball.com takes into account fall work outs. Also interesting is that David Smith was eligible for the draft last summer, but wasn't taken.

Reaction Score
Actually, David Smith clocks in at No. 96, but that is still pretty nice. Still, it is also good to see that D1Baseball.com takes into account fall work outs. Also interesting is that David Smith was eligible for the draft last summer, but wasn't taken.
They caught it too…

Reaction Score

Freshman Tom Ellisen was redshirted by UConn last season. Still, there were times during the game broadcasts last season that Chris Jones would talk about Ellisen, saying that the coaching staff was very high on Ellisen's ability and that Ellisen could very well be a substantial contributor to the UConn pitching staff in future seasons.

Reaction Score

In the games and the scrimmage that I went to this fall in Storrs, Freeberger was consistently hitting third in the batting order. I would think that pretty much tells you what the coaching staff thinks of his offensive ability. The other interesting aspect to his game is that Freeberger can play multiple positions on the field, as well as pitch. From the way he was used in the fall, it would seem he will likely be penciled in at 3B. But since 3B may be the spot where UConn has the most depth on the team (Luke Broadhurst and Ryan Daniels can also play there), it is always possible that Freeberger could find himself playing elsewhere on the defensive side of things.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom