2024 Recruiting: - Tyler Betsey down to 7 schools | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tyler Betsey down to 7 schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just had a momentary freakout, saw Betsey's story posted a final 4 and we were not included, after 10 seconds of disappointment I realized it was just a repost of someone else's final 4

Reaction Score
20230901_130627.jpg

Reaction Score
Recruiting is hard. Even the summer after winning a damn chip.

Reaction Score
Other than for the crowd that thinks every local kid is a UConn lock was there ever any indication that we had any particular advantage over other programs with this kid? If there was I missed it.

Reaction Score
Other than for the crowd that thinks every local kid is a UConn lock was there ever any indication that we had any particular advantage over other programs with this kid? If there was I missed it.
There was not. I think a lot of people here conflated the idea of "I really want this kid to be at UConn" with "this kid really wants to be at UConn"

Reaction Score
The Alabama sales pitch is a good one and Oats is both a good coach and recruiter.

I don't see the appeal of Cincinnati at all, but seems like a personal connection.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Think we’ve been recruiting him longer than Bama and Cinci. The local advantage is obviously a real thing, and we watched most/all of his AAU games. I don’t think any (real) insider said he loved us more than anyone else, but I think we were right to be optimistic about our chances.

Reaction Score
Think we’ve been recruiting him longer than Bama and Cinci. The local advantage is obviously a real thing, and we watched most/all of his AAU games. I don’t think any (real) insider said he loved us more than anyone else, but I think we were right to be optimistic about our chances.
He did have a fellow recruit comment on one of his social media posts where I believe he was either in UConn gear or posting about UConn saying something along the lines of “just commit there already”. And his mom has been mentioned in stories where I believe she indicated her preference would be to have him close to home. And UConn is famous for recruiting the moms.

Reaction Score
He did have a fellow recruit comment on one of his social media posts where I believe he was either in UConn gear or posting about UConn saying something along the lines of “just commit there already”. And his mom has been mentioned in stories where I believe she indicated her preference would be to have him close to home. And UConn is famous for recruiting the moms.

And neither of those is Tyler actually expressing a preference.

Reaction Score

Again, based on what? That we were recruiting him longer than those schools and he's local? You keep saying it's "obviously a real thing" but it would seem like more of a "real thing" if there was a quote from the kid that, for example, staying close to home is important to him - the closest he's come is acknowledging that UConn is in Connecticut and that's where he's from.

None of that has anything to do with anything the kid has ever said.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
All will be okay when we get Flagg (manifesting).

Knowing his family, I didn’t think he’d end up here from a gut feeling (not any real info). Would’ve been pleasantly surprised but we’ll be okay regardless.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati at this point is an afterthought who hasn't advanced in the NCAAT in many many years.

1 Sweet Sixteen in the last 20 years.
The last time they made an Elite 8 was 1996.
Last Final 4 is 1992.

This is an eternity of nothing for Cincinnati.

Alabama with Oats has some appeal, but as the #1 team in the country, they were thoroughly depantsed by Hurley and UConn.

Going to Cincy is just going to bury you in terms of getting seen by eyeballs.

Reaction Score
It just feels like this one isn’t likely to happen. No information, just gut. Not sure if it’s him, us or lack of chemistry/vision for his role.

Reaction Score
If Karaban comes back, we will potentially have Alex, Stewart, Ross and Abraham all at forward. I absolutely LOVE shooters, so losing him will sting, but we still should be well stocked at forward. As far as "need" goes, securing a center and a couple guards are much more dire for next years roster.

Reaction Score
I feel like we might be being used here to up NIL offers.
Or we are hanging in there with him as a buffer in case someone defects, or to drive up the NIL market kind of like when the Yankees or Red Sox show some interest in a free agent just to drive up the price on a player they don't super prioritize to eat up other teams' salary expenditures to hit the cap.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Again, based on what? That we were recruiting him longer than those schools and he's local? You keep saying it's "obviously a real thing" but it would seem like more of a "real thing" if there was a quote from the kid that, for example, staying close to home is important to him - the closest he's come is acknowledging that UConn is in Connecticut and that's where he's from.

None of that has anything to do with anything the kid has ever said.
Are you actually suggesting there’s no advantage to recruiting local recruits? I have to provide evidence that local schools usually do better with recruits in their area?

Reaction Score
Are you actually suggesting there’s no advantage to recruiting local recruits? I have to provide evidence that local schools usually do better with recruits in their area?
No, you're entirely missing the point/his question. He's asking for evidence that Tyler Betsey specifically wanted to stay home and play for UConn over other schools. The vast majority of local recruits we have had an advantage with, but it's not 100%. There have been plenty of Tremont Waters who just had no interest

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No, you're entirely missing the point/his question. He's asking for evidence that Tyler Betsey specifically wanted to stay home and play for UConn over other schools. The vast majority of local recruits we have had an advantage with, but it's not 100%. There have been plenty of Tremont Waters who just had no interest
I don’t have evidence of that. My point was we usually feel good about local recruits because they’re local, and in this case the staff went really hard on top of that.

If he was literally asking for a quote from Betsey that he knows doesn’t exist, whats the point? I thought the point of his original post was to ask why everyone was so confident he was coming here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom