2024 Recruiting: - Tyler Betsey down to 7 schools | Page 17 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tyler Betsey down to 7 schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BC had an academic advantage that they squandered. Georgetown too.

People might be shocked to learn this but it's 3x harder to get into Boston U. than it is Boston College, and BU has 3x as many students. Northeastern is much much harder to get into than Georgetown! I saw stats last week that showed G'town with a 20% admit rate. These schools haven't invested in academics. They did the opposite.

I'm not saying they don't care about academics, but they've gone backward in the last 20 yrs.
That last stat is a bit misleading

Reaction Score
I know more than a couple of people from Ohio, and they always prove to me that the smartest people I know are from Ohio; mostly because when they realized where they were located, they promptly left.
Some hot takes about Cincinnati on the yard here. I guess I’m an idiot for moving back to Cincinnati. I’ve been to 40 or so states and a few countries and I think it’s great here. I have to be somewhat smart to have chosen to be a Uconn fan back in the 80s lol.
You might be surprised that Cincinnati is home to the number one pediatric hospital in the country now… there have to be some smart people here

Reaction Score
Well, I got them from a college admissions talk I went to this week run by the head of admissions at U. Chicago.

It was also broken down by Early Admit #s and I was shocked that it used to be much harder to get into those 2 schools than it is now.

My wife went to BC when it had 7k students and I went to BU when we were over 20k, so I thought things were the same. BU seems to have reduced its numbers to 18k, which is likely why its SAT averages rose so high, while BC expanded, which might have corresponded with their drop. Early admits to Georgetown right now gives you an excellent chance of getting in.

Aren't SAT scores going up everywhere because it's optional? And the kids who report scores are the ones who do better?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
BC had an academic advantage that they squandered. Georgetown too.

People might be shocked to learn this but it's 3x harder to get into Boston U. than it is Boston College, and BU has 3x as many students. Northeastern is much much harder to get into than Georgetown! I saw stats last week that showed G'town with a 20% admit rate. These schools haven't invested in academics. They did the opposite.

I'm not saying they don't care about academics, but they've gone backward in the last 20 yrs.
The bolded part isn't borne out by what I've seen here in MA. But then that's mostly catholic HS school kids. They almost all apply to BC, which has to reject most of them. Meanwhile BU very much wants them and they don't get as many of those applicants. BC and BU both have the same 19% acceptance rate. Northeastern acceptance rate is higher than either of them, but they get a lot of applicants. Very practical group of kids from what I've seen, they even turned mine in to one. Georgetown was lower at 14%.

Reaction Score
Aren't SAT scores going up everywhere because it's optional? And the kids who report scores are the ones who do better?
Yes, indeed.

But of course, if you cut the size of your classes, your acceptance rate and your SAT averages will also improve. Here's a mind boggling stat: BU is only admitting 11% of applicants BUT over 40% of those accepted are not submitting test scores. I can only assume that this means the vast majority of students applying to BU are not submitting test scores. This is why it now may look harder to get into BU than it is to get into MIT or Dartmouth (two schools that are not test optional).

Reaction Score
The bolded part isn't borne out by what I've seen here in MA. But then that's mostly catholic HS school kids. They almost all apply to BC, which has to reject most of them. Meanwhile BU very much wants them and they don't get as many of those applicants. BC and BU both have the same 19% acceptance rate. Northeastern acceptance rate is higher than either of them, but they get a lot of applicants. Very practical group of kids from what I've seen, they even turned mine in to one. Georgetown was lower at 14%.
We are all apparently dealing with different kinds of information and statistics. Hooper linked to a stat showing BU at 11%: Class of 2027 Admission Results - College Kickstart

But I was shown graphs like this one at the event I attended with the U. Chicago Dir. of Admissions (this had nothing to do w/ my university work, it was a parent night thing run by U. Chicago, w/ the Dir. of Admissions representing 5 other schools [weird, I know, but true]). This shows early admit rates, but I have others that show BU is more exclusive now than BC:

IMG_7088.jpg

Reaction Score
Why are we all being waterboarded with this stuff? Make it stop
We should further detail this thread by starting to discuss the reasons why college tuition, fees, and room and board have skyrocketed the past two to three decades. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom