Turkey Day Menu Discussion | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Turkey Day Menu Discussion

Reaction Score
I am jealous of my brother. His fiancé is southern and they do fried chicken, ribs, mac and cheese, etc. I’m sure someone in my family will screw up the turkey but I will be making this and can gorge myself.

I’m also partial to the Southern theme, but with Turducken and oyster stuffing.

Reaction Score
Pumkin martinis? I'm intrigued. Recipe?
Pumpkin Martini recipe used is from Abigail's Grille+Wine Bar-Simsbury,Ct.
1 +1/2 shots of Vanilla Vodka
1 +1/2 shots of Baileys
1 1/2 shots of Pumpkin Spice Liquor (non-cream type)
1 shot of Spiced Rum
Put in Martini shaker with ice.. Shake and dispense.. Above measurements for one serving.. "Pours" of shots can be liberal.. Number of participants dictates double/triple,etc the pours into shaker.Dusting of cinnamon or nutmeg on top if of interest.

I use above recipe for a seasonal change for Halloween/Thanksgiving/Football season and immediately pivot to end-of -year recipes for the Holiday season. Word of caution-- The second one goes down much smoother than the first. Keep Uber on speed dial--Stay safe and enjoy.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
1 +1/2 shots of Baileys
1 shot of Spiced Rum
Put in Martini shaker with ice.. Shake and dispense.. Above measurements for one serving.. "Pours" of shots can be liberal.. Number of participants dictates double/triple,etc the pours into shaker.

I use above recipe for a seasonal change for Halloween/Thanksgiving/Football season and immediately pivot to end-of -year recipes for the Holiday season. Word of caution-- The second one goes down much smoother than the first. Keep Uber on speed dial--Stay safe and enjoy.
That's 5 1/2 shots of various liquors in one drink....I want to party with you

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
1 +1/2 shots of Baileys
1 shot of Spiced Rum
Put in Martini shaker with ice.. Shake and dispense.. Above measurements for one serving.. "Pours" of shots can be liberal.. Number of participants dictates double/triple,etc the pours into shaker.Dusting of cinnamon or nutmeg on top if of interest.

Calling that mess a "martini" is like calling a Long Island Iced Tea a riff on a classic Manhattan.

Reaction Score
Calling that mess a "martini" is like calling a Long Island Iced Tea a riff on a classic Manhattan.
I do plenty of the classic Martinis.. This is strictly a seasonal spin by a restaurant with their wording -by a restaurant barkeep- that has an occasional place in the rotation when friends come by.. Many of whom request a taste based on previous positive experiences.

Know your audience when they come to your house. My Grandfather introduced me to the virtues of a good Manhattan.

Back to UConn BB

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This year we're at my wife's aunt's house. So I can just hope for the best (and bring wine and my own beers). My preferences:

Turkey: smoked or fried. Brining is overrated.
Mashed Potatoes: yes, lots of them and without any weird crap in them
Gravy: not that thin stuff, and for God's sake, no onions or anything
Stuffing/Dressing: best if made with some crumbled sausage. No onions. No or minimal celery. Does celery improve anything?
Cranberry sauce: fresh from boiled berries, not canned. Use orange juice to cut the tartness, round out the flavor.
Pies: yes. Pecan need not apply.

Any other food item is superfluous. Make a green bean casserole if you like. Maybe squash with marshmallow on top. It's just not the main event.

Never thought of T-Day as a cocktail day. Beer while watching football, wine with dinner and after.

Reaction Score
It's getting to be crunch time so let's talk Turkey Day.

Turkey - Wet or dry brined, no brine, roasted, fried, smoked, spatchcocked, other?
Stuffing - In the bird or on the side. What's your go to?
Sides - Must haves and hard passes.
Cranberry - Can shaped jelly, homemade or none of the above?
Desserts
Leftovers

(Please note, this is an August West free thread. His stupid take on turkey is outdated schlock and is not welcome here.)
Turkey - no strong opinion. It's fine however.
Stuffing - on the side
Sides - whipped potatoes, flaky layers biscuits, roasted delicata squash
Cranberry - yes, whole berries in can + mandarin oranges + walnuts
Desserts - 58 oz Costco pumpkin pie
Leftovers - yeah but get sick of it by Sunday

Reaction Score
I love turkey, Smoked, fried or in the oven. I will eat jelled cranberry sauce but love cranberry and orange sauce that my wife makes from my families recipe. We usually have two kinds of dressing. One made from giblets and the other is a bread stuffing with raisins from my mother's recipe. Most dinners also include mashed potatoes, corn and other vegetables along with rolls. Dessert consists of multiple pies such as pumpkin, squash, coconut custard and mincemeat and I love them all.

All that being said, I will probably not have homemade turkey this year since we are staying home and I don't want to cook turkey and eat it for two weeks. We will find a restaurant somewhere to enjoy turkey.

I grew up in an Italian household. We always had turkey for Thanksgiving. Christmas and New Year's was when the lasagna and home made raviolis became part of the meal along with ham. Christmas Eve was an abridged version of Feast of Seven Fishes with baccala, smelts and other seafood. I sure miss those days.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I love turkey, Smoked, fried or in the oven. I will eat jelled cranberry sauce but love cranberry and orange sauce that my wife makes from my families recipe. We usually have two kinds of dressing. One made from giblets and the other is a bread stuffing with raisins from my mother's recipe. Most dinners also include mashed potatoes, corn and other vegetables along with rolls. Dessert consists of multiple pies such as pumpkin, squash, coconut custard and mincemeat and I love them all.

All that being said, I will probably not have homemade turkey this year since we are staying home and I don't want to cook turkey and eat it for two weeks. We will find a restaurant somewhere to enjoy turkey.

I grew up in an Italian household. We always had turkey for Thanksgiving. Christmas and New Year's was when the lasagna and home made raviolis became part of the meal along with ham. Christmas Eve was an abridged version of Feast of Seven Fishes with baccala, smelts and other seafood. I sure miss those days.

Same here.

Do not forget the scungilli salad. Was never a fan but it is for sure a staple for the Italian households.

Reaction Score
This year we're at my wife's aunt's house. So I can just hope for the best (and bring wine and my own beers). My preferences:

Turkey: smoked or fried. Brining is overrated.
Mashed Potatoes: yes, lots of them and without any weird crap in them
Gravy: not that thin stuff, and for God's sake, no onions or anything
Stuffing/Dressing: best if made with some crumbled sausage. No onions. No or minimal celery. Does celery improve anything?
Cranberry sauce: fresh from boiled berries, not canned. Use orange juice to cut the tartness, round out the flavor.
Pies: yes. Pecan need not apply.

Any other food item is superfluous. Make a green bean casserole if you like. Maybe squash with marshmallow on top. It's just not the main event.

Never thought of T-Day as a cocktail day. Beer while watching football, wine with dinner and after.
What happens during appetizers before dinner? My guests usually arrive somewhat parched

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What happens during appetizers before dinner? My guests usually arrive somewhat parched
That is football time. Beer is the beverage. My wife likes to eat T-day at an irrationally early time.

Reaction Score
Visiting in-laws in Calif, going to restaurant which isn't ideal, but brother-in-law's wife always causes a scene at home (lots of swearing and storming out the door), so thought is in a public place she'll behave better. Why my in-laws keep inviting her is a mystery, I guess trying to appease their son. With a restaurant meal you don't get leftovers, but maybe I can cook something out there anyway after Thanksgiving so we have a regular holiday feast, even if just for a smaller crowd (4 people).

So, what should I get turkey wise for meal for 4 with some leftovers afterward? No need for 20 pound bird, should I just get a smaller one like 10-12 pound? I like dark meat so I'm not thinking turkey breast, but that's an option I guess. Or, should I just get some turkey legs and/or thighs?

Reaction Score
Visiting in-laws in Calif, going to restaurant which isn't ideal, but brother-in-law's wife always causes a scene at home (lots of swearing and storming out the door), so thought is in a public place she'll behave better. Why my in-laws keep inviting her is a mystery, I guess trying to appease their son. With a restaurant meal you don't get leftovers, but maybe I can cook something out there anyway after Thanksgiving so we have a regular holiday feast, even if just for a smaller crowd (4 people).

So, what should I get turkey wise for meal for 4 with some leftovers afterward? No need for 20 pound bird, should I just get a smaller one like 10-12 pound? I like dark meat so I'm not thinking turkey breast, but that's an option I guess. Or, should I just get some turkey legs and/or thighs?
I would like more details on why she swears and storms out. Sounds very exciting.

Reaction Score
Hot cider always goes well before the meal. During and after the meal, my family often consumes multiple bottles of wine. One year is was about 15 but we had a good crowd. That is the day I normally break out the Beaujolais Noveau since I know little about wine.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
Turkey: Roasted fresh turkey from Tivoli Farms up in Accord, NY (we are renting a house in Accord to be close to my daughter in Kingston)
Stuffing: Sausage and mushroom stuffing in the bird
Sides: Mashed taters, peas and onions, carrots and onions roasted with the bird, braised brussels, mashed turnip, roasted sweet potato mash, cranberry orange compote, pan gravy
Dessert: Apple crisp, pumpkin custard pie, chocolate chip and white chocolate chip chocolate cookies

Not sure where we are hiking this year but it is always a 5 or so miler.
I’ll be attending a race the Saturday after Thanksgiving in Accord, NY. My friend is racing a his car at the speedway.

Reaction Score
I would like more details on why she swears and storms out. Sounds very exciting.
Last time when she came over, her mom had been in a car accident, my mother-in-law asked about her mom and was told "I don't want to talk about it" and didn't say anything more. She then goes to sleep on the sofa because she doesn't join what activities there are, she's interested in herself and not others. 10 minutes later, my mother-in-law asks her son about the accident person's condition because he's in the kitchen, but she heard this and got very mad, "I told you not to discuss it, you can't respect my boundaries" more curse words, then out the door she goes, brother-in-law has to follow along with wife, and all this happens within 20 minutes. My in-laws are stunned but this has happened each of the times we have visited (maybe it's us?). I'm not crazy about my mother-in-law but she's no worse than many others, it's easy enough to ignore or tolerate her, out of respect for them and my wife. Why she can't do it is a mystery, and you'd think she could as she is some kind of psychologist and helps people with problems.

Reaction Score
Last time when she came over, her mom had been in a car accident, my mother-in-law asked about her mom and was told "I don't want to talk about it" and didn't say anything more. She then goes to sleep on the sofa because she doesn't join what activities there are, she's interested in herself and not others. 10 minutes later, my mother-in-law asks her son about the accident person's condition because he's in the kitchen, but she heard this and got very mad, "I told you not to discuss it, you can't respect my boundaries" more curse words, then out the door she goes, brother-in-law has to follow along with wife, and all this happens within 20 minutes. My in-laws are stunned but this has happened each of the times we have visited (maybe it's us?). I'm not crazy about my mother-in-law but she's no worse than many others, it's easy enough to ignore or tolerate her, out of respect for them and my wife. Why she can't do it is a mystery, and you'd think she could as she is some kind of psychologist and helps people with problems.
I’m sure there is a normal psychologist or two, but I’ve never met one. As a sane person, the last thing I want to do is talk to crazy people. You’ve got to have your own story to seek out that job.

Reaction Score

Wow, she seems great.

Reaction Score
Stuffing i add bacon or sausage

Cranberry

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member