Turkey Day Menu Discussion | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Turkey Day Menu Discussion

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Recipe please.

Roasted sprouts, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, touch of honey, crushed peanuts and as many of these as you want to subject your extended family to.

F97C8EF9-CB72-4451-945E-7528995B832E.jpeg

Reaction Score
We hate turkey, so being from Sicily we’re having chicken cacciatore with toasted raviolis ( I make this), and lasagna from Maggianos little Italy in Orlando, I’m going to a concert there on Wednesday and will bring it back to Fort Myers. Absoduckinglutely hate turkey.

Reaction Score
Stuffing: On the side/dressing. Sausage and sage mandatory.
Stuffing/Dressing: best if made with some crumbled sausage. No onions. No or minimal celery. Does celery improve anything?
i've been looking for a good sausage stuffing w/o celery. anyone willing to share a link to a recipe?

Reaction Score
i've been looking for a good sausage stuffing w/o celery. anyone willing to share a link to a recipe?
Serious Eats is always my go to.

You should be able to freely omit the celery. But also if you chop finely and sweat it for 10 min as directed in the recipe you probably won't notice it.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Serious Eats is always my go to.

You should be able to freely omit the celery. But also if you chop finely and sweat it for 10 min as directed in the recipe you probably won't notice it.
celery is essential in good stuffing imho

Reaction Score
I am jealous of my brother. His fiancé is southern and they do fried chicken, ribs, mac and cheese, etc. I’m sure someone in my family will screw up the turkey but I will be making this and can gorge myself.

That...looks phenomenal....

Reaction Score
I found myself at Denny's last year in Cocoa Beach and spied a Turkey dinner on the menu. Unlike some on this board, I love turkey so I ordered it. I'm sure it wasn't anything special but it would have scratched my itch. I heard the cook in a heated talk with the manager after the order. I could hear him say something about who orders turkey at Christmas? Turns out they forgot to thaw the gravy so I passed on the turkey dinner while thinking to myself "hasn't this cook very watched 'A Christmas Story'"? We mother used to eat turkey for both Thanksgiving and Christmas although for Christmas it was not the only entree.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I found myself at Denny's last year in Cocoa Beach and spied a Turkey dinner on the menu. Unlike some on this board, I love turkey so I ordered it. I'm sure it wasn't anything special but it would have scratched my itch. I heard the cook in a heated talk with the manager after the order. I could hear him say something about who orders turkey at Christmas? Turns out they forgot to thaw the gravy so I passed on the turkey dinner while thinking to myself "hasn't this cook very watched 'A Christmas Story'"? We mother used to eat turkey for both Thanksgiving and Christmas although for Christmas it was not the only entree.

You're a brave man

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Visiting in-laws in Calif, going to restaurant which isn't ideal, but brother-in-law's wife always causes a scene at home (lots of swearing and storming out the door), so thought is in a public place she'll behave better. Why my in-laws keep inviting her is a mystery, I guess trying to appease their son. With a restaurant meal you don't get leftovers, but maybe I can cook something out there anyway after Thanksgiving so we have a regular holiday feast, even if just for a smaller crowd (4 people).

So, what should I get turkey wise for meal for 4 with some leftovers afterward? No need for 20 pound bird, should I just get a smaller one like 10-12 pound? I like dark meat so I'm not thinking turkey breast, but that's an option I guess. Or, should I just get some turkey legs and/or thighs?
fresh thighs and wings are readily available in the super for $3-$4 pound. i buy it all the time and wrap the seasoned pieces in oil or buttered foil, and toss them into the wood fire. fuhghettabootit.
hotel breasts can be found in 4-5 pound size also. couple bags of stuffing, can or 2 of cranberry, a few baked potatos, a salad, some roasted vegetables, mebbe sauteed mushrooms, some spinach and garlic, then a pie, cake, or danish.

very disappointed to see the lack of luv here for duck, pecan pie, celery, breads, and somebody here has a definite issue with onions. and what aboot lamb chops? is everyone here Canadian? i guess that a nice fresh Kali pomegranate is out of the question. kinda hoped that i might read a goose recipe here. forget that, instead i get cocktails with six ounces of hootch, gordan ramsay, and something called 'squash with marshmellow.' what, no chocolate sauce or siracha with that?
youse a bunch of uncivilized talking farm animals, and now i'll have to check my soles as i walk out of this pen.
(ya know, a fancy place would have a rip roaring argument going over 'best cracker' by now. there is no winning the cheese one.)
here
mks-mre-08.jpg

might as well skip seeing ol snoop at the parade, too.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This year we will be having Thanksgiving at our next door neighbors. He's a retired chef so we know the food will be very good. Living in a 55+ community, there are a lot of us whose families are north. Next year will be our turn to host.

However, we will cooking the Thanksgiving dinner for ourselves about a week later. Small, fresh bird, never frozen, about 12 pouds in the oven. The bird will be basted with sherry. My mother-in-laws secret. Mash potatoes made with sour cream, butter and roasted crushed garlic. Bread stuffing made from scratch. Again, my mother-in-laws receipe. Green bean casserole. Rolls and butter. Home made gravey from the drippings of the bird. Dessert is apple pie and colonial innkeeper pie.

The wife will have her Chardonnay and I will have my bourbon.

And then there is the left overs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
fresh thighs and wings are readily available in the super for $3-$4 pound. i buy it all the time and wrap the seasoned pieces in oil or buttered foil, and toss them into the wood fire. fuhghettabootit.
hotel breasts can be found in 4-5 pound size also. couple bags of stuffing, can or 2 of cranberry, a few baked potatos, a salad, some roasted vegetables, mebbe sauteed mushrooms, some spinach and garlic, then a pie, cake, or danish.

very disappointed to see the lack of luv here for duck, pecan pie, celery, breads, and somebody here has a definite issue with onions. and what aboot lamb chops? is everyone here Canadian? i guess that a nice fresh Kali pomegranate is out of the question. kinda hoped that i might read a goose recipe here. forget that, instead i get cocktails with six ounces of hootch, gordan ramsay, and something called 'squash with marshmellow.' what, no chocolate sauce or siracha with that?
youse a bunch of uncivilized talking farm animals, and now i'll have to check my soles as i walk out of this pen.
(ya know, a fancy place would have a rip roaring argument going over 'best cracker' by now. there is no winning the cheese one.)
here
mks-mre-08.jpg

might as well skip seeing ol snoop at the parade, too.
There’s not much better in the universe than a good Turkey wing.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Found it!!

We are hosting 12 people.

I will have a 20lb bird dry-brined and grilled. Also, will supply cheese and suprasat plate, my ultimate mashed-potatoes. And an ode to my wife's grammy, a creamed corn casserole. From Stewards of the Land I pre-ordered a chocolate whiskey pecan pie.

Two kiddies are coming so I will whip up a simple Mac and cheese and offer a homemade creamsicle orange jello dessert.

Others will supply sides and desserts.

Reaction Score
The setup has to be buffet style go up and help yourself.I can’t stand passing food around the table.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

so i head down to the friendly neighborhood super where i buy duck a few times a year, to pick up a couple last night. plenty there last week.
no duck. i head to the back to talk with butcher guy, and tell him. he's all 'whut? no way.' we walk back out to the giant cooler, and he tosses frozen stuff around, finds nada.
'i put around 40 in last night, all gone. it's your fault.'
'ur the one chatting up how inexpensive it is, i remember, and now everyone figured it out. a $3.29 a pound duck sure looks inviting when next to it is a $4.25 a pound turkey hotel breast. i never sold 40 in a day before.'

(im thinking, 'yeah that $4.75 a pound chicken breast didn't help, either.)
i ain't tellin youse or anyone else aboot this stuff no more. had to stop myself today from telling a friend aboot that killer za dough in the super that i found, made since 1910. too risky.

just eat chimkin, and leave the good stuff for us.

what the heck is a 'suprasat plate?' (two posts back.)

Reaction Score
Has anyone ever tried stuffing with venison sausage? I have an abundance this year but am worried about it being too dry and crumbly with the standard mirepoix/bread/egg/stock/sausage in a cast iron method

Reaction Score
Has anyone ever tried stuffing with venison sausage? I have an abundance this year but am worried about it being too dry and crumbly with the standard mirepoix/bread/egg/stock/sausage in a cast iron method
Just add more butter then.

Reaction Score
Wet brine for 12 hours and then air dry in fridge for 2 days. Juicy with crisp skin and great flavor after roasting

This is what I did this year with apple cider instead of water on the wet brine. I’ll post how it came out.

Reaction Score
don't burn the house down
Amen. But unless you’re an idiot and dip a frozen turkey into the pot or do the frier in the house you should be good to go. May as well bring my BB gun and shoot my eye out too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom