Turkey Day Menu Discussion | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Turkey Day Menu Discussion

Reaction Score

so i head down to the friendly neighborhood super where i buy duck a few times a year, to pick up a couple last night. plenty there last week.
no duck. i head to the back to talk with butcher guy, and tell him. he's all 'whut? no way.' we walk back out to the giant cooler, and he tosses frozen stuff around, finds nada.
'i put around 40 in last night, all gone. it's your fault.'
'ur the one chatting up how inexpensive it is, i remember, and now everyone figured it out. a $3.29 a pound duck sure looks inviting when next to it is a $4.25 a pound turkey hotel breast. i never sold 40 in a day before.'

(im thinking, 'yeah that $4.75 a pound chicken breast didn't help, either.)
i ain't tellin youse or anyone else aboot this stuff no more. had to stop myself today from telling a friend aboot that killer za dough in the super that i found, made since 1910. too risky.

just eat chimkin, and leave the good stuff for us.

what the heck is a 'suprasat plate?' (two posts back.)

Duck used to be cheaper, they’re all from Canada. I have a killer Emerill recipe 2 way duck, a pain to make but oh man.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Has anyone ever tried stuffing with venison sausage? I have an abundance this year but am worried about it being too dry and crumbly with the standard mirepoix/bread/egg/stock/sausage in a cast iron method

Is it mixed with pork? Should ne fine. Are you legit stuffing inside turkey or doing it as a dressing in a baking dish or casserole? Inside turkey should keep it plenty moist.
Outside maybe add it to rest of stuffing at end??

Reaction Score
Use to love Thanksgiving when my wife was still alive. She would get up around 5 and cook all day. Her stuffing was on the side with sausage and spinach. Olive salad with black and green olives chopped carrots and celery with olive oil and vinegar. Only have it on Thanksgiving. I always bought a fresh frozen butterball so no need to brine. Now I go over to my daughter's. Nice day.

Reaction Score
Use to love Thanksgiving when my wife was still alive. She would get up around 5 and cook all day. Her stuffing was on the side with sausage and spinach. Olive salad with black and green olives chopped carrots and celery with olive oil and vinegar. Only have it on Thanksgiving. I always bought a fresh frozen butterball so no need to brine. Now I go over to my daughter's. Nice day.
You should try your best to make her food and celebrate her tomorrow. Cheers to you and yours.

Reaction Score
My FIL makes it every year, had a bite, not for meeeeeeeeeee..

The in-laws have OK'd me making some southern mac & cheese with the spread today, so pumped.
Tiger Woods Win GIF

Reaction Score
Chopped up Brussels sprouts and Capicola is amazing I always try and mix it with mash potatoes and gravy.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
That sounds pretty good! Enjoy the day with your family!

Reaction Score
12 lb-er. Wet brine since Sunday. Sausage-cornbread stuff in muffin pans. 2 Squashes, homemade cranberry sauce. Brown grqavy from dripings. Going into over w carrot, celery, parsly, and shallot, olive oil.

Reaction Score
Amen. But unless you’re an idiot and dip a frozen turkey into the pot or do the frier in the house you should be good to go. May as well bring my BB gun and shoot my eye out too.
Three Headways in a two fried turkies done and didn’t burn down the in-law’s house.

1669316184134.gif

Reaction Score
Is it mixed with pork? Should ne fine. Are you legit stuffing inside turkey or doing it as a dressing in a baking dish or casserole? Inside turkey should keep it plenty moist.
Outside maybe add it to rest of stuffing at end??
Ended up doing outside in a baking dish. Cut with a bit of pork for fat. Was a huge hit. Would highly recommend in the future

Reaction Score
Do people still eat mincemeat pie on Thanksgiving? I remember my grandfather having it in the early 70s and even then it seemed outdated.
My mother in law makes it. I've never seen anyone eat it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Very quiet Thanksgiving with just my wife and two cats.

Enjoyed a fabulous beef stew cooked in a crockpot for 24 hours. Dedicated the meal to @August_West who had to go through the motions of a gobble gobble meal.

Reaction Score
We had a good meal at Hilton Cocoa Beach. Turkey, ham, roast beef, lobster bisque and my favorite which is grilled grouper. Plenty of sides, desserts and unlimited mimosas. Not a bad meal if I couldn’t spend it with siblings. Wife was happy which was even more important.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ended up doing outside in a baking dish. Cut with a bit of pork for fat. Was a huge hit. Would highly recommend in the future

Mrs Diesel knocked it out of the park again with her sage and sausage stuffing. She starts with Pepperige Farm stuffing, adds in the sage sausage and pan drippings.

So good on Tha ksgiving and was even better this morning ING heated up with some eggs. Runny yolk absolutely enhances the whole thing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We had a good meal at Hilton Cocoa Beach. Turkey, ham, roast beef, lobster bisque and my favorite which is grilled grouper. Plenty of sides, desserts and unlimited mimosas. Not a bad meal if I couldn’t spend it with siblings. Wife was happy which was even more important.

Grouper, grilled, blackened or fried is my favorite fish when done right.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
PXL_20221125_213223550~3.jpg

Except for the green bean casserole, this was every dish served at a Thanksgiving deferred until Friday because the husband in the hosting house was scheduled for a 24-hr firefighter shift on Thursday.

There was stuffing w/sausage from inside the brined bird, and dressing without pork cooked in the oven. Gravy made from the drippings. Also sliced ham.

Corn pudding was a first for me, and I liked it. Broccoli casserole, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese (primarily for the 9 kids), green salad w/mandarin orange slices, and both a cold cranberry & orange rind relish and a cooked cranberry & orange sauce. I roasted Brussels sprouts, multicolored mini sweet peppers, and carrots in separate pans though in the same 400 degree oven.

I was too stuffed to eat any of the 5 pies, but did have a portion of vanilla ice cream topped with fresh whipped cream and served inside of chocolate cookie/cake bowl that was made by a young teen. There was a bourbon-apple cider cocktail available from a pitcher, that was poured into sugar-rimmed glasses that contained a cinnamon stick.

Watched the end of the USA-England soccer match while cooking, and later the first half of UConn WBB vs. Duke during desert time.

10 adults and 10 children, ranging from 10 months to 15 years (including 7-year old triplets). 3 generations, minimal drama, and overall an enjoyable bunch of mostly southern Hoosiers.

Looking forward to leftovers later today.

Reaction Score
View attachment 81114

Except for the green bean casserole, this was every dish served at a Thanksgiving deferred until Friday because the husband in the hosting house was scheduled for a 24-hr firefighter shift on Thursday.

There was stuffing w/sausage from inside the brined bird, and dressing without pork cooked in the oven. Gravy made from the drippings. Also sliced ham.

Corn pudding was a first for me, and I liked it. Broccoli casserole, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese (primarily for the 9 kids), green salad w/mandarin orange slices, and both a cold cranberry & orange rind relish and a cooked cranberry & orange sauce. I roasted Brussels sprouts, multicolored mini sweet peppers, and carrots in separate pans though in the same 400 degree oven.

I was too stuffed to eat any of the 5 pies, but did have a portion of vanilla ice cream topped with fresh whipped cream and served inside of chocolate cookie/cake bowl that was made by a young teen. There was a bourbon-apple cider cocktail available from a pitcher, that was poured into sugar-rimmed glasses that contained a cinnamon stick.

Watched the end of the USA-England soccer match while cooking, and later the first half of UConn WBB vs. Duke during desert time.

10 adults and 10 children, ranging from 10 months to 15 years (including 7-year old triplets). 3 generations, minimal drama, and overall an enjoyable bunch of mostly southern Hoosiers.

Looking forward to leftovers later today.
Broccoli casserole, love that. Next year going to add Mac and cheese too. I vote for having 2 Thanksgivings every year. Unsure about the date for number 2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom