Tunes you digging right now | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Tunes you digging right now

Reaction Score
That should be a very interesting show. Obviously they will play songs from their albums but what will be intriguing is what songs they will select from Plants past (Zeppelin and solo) and covers. Saw Robert Plant on his Manic Nirvana tour and it was outstanding, his voice was spot on. Should be a memorable night of music.
Just learned that one of my favorite jazz guitarists, Bill Frisell plays throughout Raise the Roof. He's one of my favorite live acts and it would be pretty cool to see him tour with Plant/Krauss. If you haven't seen Frisell live, I highly recommend, very transcendent stuff to hear in person.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Jackson Browne had a new album out in '21. I've just been streaming it. Some better than others, but mostly good. This song just sounds like his vintage stuff from the 70s and 80s. He's looking grizzled, but the voice hasn't changed AT ALL.

Reaction Score
A friend told me that Burke Shelle of Budgie a Wesh heavy metal band in the early 70's passed away yesterday. Their sound was reminiscent of early Rush and Black Sabbath. RIP, in tribute I played this album of theirs the debut album. Full album

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Caught this one on XM tonight.

Probably had been 30 years since I heard this song.

Live version from mid 80's is outstanding. No background singers. No autotune. No background dancers. Helluva voice.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And same song 20 years later. Same lack of background singers or autotune.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
between the loony weather, and sum looney fans here ('we're great! we stink!' pick a board, any board...) this one jumped for me this am.

sumone should tell that cartoon kid to put some pants on.

Reaction Score
This is an awesome video. I even watched a video which explained why 7/4 is important.

Reaction Score
I learned this week that the Mighty Mighty Bosstones are breaking up.

In my middle school years, they were a seminal band for me. I played saxophone in school, liked punk music and was teaching myself bass. At the time, the Bosstones were a perfect conglomerate for my musical development and their pop sensibilities helped me appreciate their music past my angsty punk middle school years.

"The Impression That I Get" was their one-hit wonder that got them international radio play but when I listen to it now in my mid-30s, I see it as a brilliant song. The narrator is a sheltered white man who's lived a life of relative ease and he's dealing with mixed feelings about whether or not he can handle real life pressures if/when faced with it. Just a genius narrative to explore in a pop song.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Loved that song as well. Had no idea they'd been around for almost 40 years.

If this is true, it's a sad way to go out for both the band and its fans.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I learned this week that the Mighty Mighty Bosstones are breaking up.

In my middle school years, they were a seminal band for me. I played saxophone in school, liked punk music and was teaching myself bass. At the time, the Bosstones were a perfect conglomerate for my musical development and their pop sensibilities helped me appreciate their music past my angsty punk middle school years.

"The Impression That I Get" was their one-hit wonder that got them international radio play but when I listen to it now in my mid-30s, I see it as a brilliant song. The narrator is a sheltered white man who's lived a life of relative ease and he's dealing with mixed feelings about whether or not he can handle real life pressures if/when faced with it. Just a genius narrative to explore in a pop song.

The true genius is the dude getting paid just to dance. I love that.

Let me guess: they are breaking up because of his solo career.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Bez was in the band Black Grape one of the better funk electronic rock genre bands for just their 1st album which this song is on. I can acutely say is one of my favorites.

Best album of the 90s, IMHO.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Heard this yesterday in the car. Not sure I have really appreciated what a great song this is, but yesterday it just registered. Guess I'm getting older too.

It's an awesome song. Funny, I saw a New Orleans supergroup of sorts called Dragon Smoke at Stage One in Fairfield a few years ago and Ivan Neville, a pretty tough dude, covered it. He introduced it by saying something like "All you dudes out there, you know you sing this when it comes on the radio and you're driving in your car alone." And I absolutely do (but not afraid to sing it with others around either...).

Sometime in the past two years or so it dawned on me while singing it that what she's describing is actually an avalanche, or snow slide, but not a landslide. Since that time I have floated this theory twice when it came on around a fire with different groups of friends, and both times much comedy ensued as we tried to sing it with "avalanche" in place of "landslide" each time the refrain came around.

Reaction Score
Heard this yesterday in the car. Not sure I have really appreciated what a great song this is, but yesterday it just registered. Guess I'm getting older too.

You are in luck! David Letterman had a running bit back in the day starting Stevie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom