Tristen Newton | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tristen Newton

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Here it is:

While At UConn: Appeared in 71 games for UConn, all starts, and currently holds the longest streak of consecutive games played and consecutive starts... Has scored 831 points (11.7 ppg), grabbed 588 rebounds (8.3 rpg) and handed out 298 assists (4.2)... Has led the American Athletic Conference in rebounding in conference games in each of last two years ... Named Most Outstanding Player of the 2016 AAC Championship, named to the 2015-16 AAC All-Conference Second Team ... Named AAC Player of the Week twice and to the AAC Weekly Honor Roll once... Was named the American Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year as a freshman, and became just the second UConn freshman to finish a season with at least 300 points, 200 rebounds and 100 assists… Has 17 double-doubles in his career, including a triple-double against Central Conn. as a sophomore, the 11th triple-double in UConn history.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Here it is:

While At UConn: Appeared in 71 games for UConn, all starts, and currently holds the longest streak of consecutive games played and consecutive starts... Has scored 831 points (11.7 ppg), grabbed 588 rebounds (8.3 rpg) and handed out 298 assists (4.2)... Has led the American Athletic Conference in rebounding in conference games in each of last two years ... Named Most Outstanding Player of the 2016 AAC Championship, named to the 2015-16 AAC All-Conference Second Team ... Named AAC Player of the Week twice and to the AAC Weekly Honor Roll once... Was named the American Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year as a freshman, and became just the second UConn freshman to finish a season with at least 300 points, 200 rebounds and 100 assists… Has 17 double-doubles in his career, including a triple-double against Central Conn. as a sophomore, the 11th triple-double in UConn history.
The 11th triple-double in UConn history and his stat line was 11p-11r-11a. Last guy to hit 20-10-10 was Shabazz vs Coppin st in 2013 with 22-12-13 according to an earlier post.

Reaction Score
Dolt? No. At the time I wrote that we had been clanging rushed threes, not finding open people, and let Buffalo come back to take a (brief) lead. It's okay to be unhappy with how a team is currently playing. I'll plead guilty to not anticipating the great turnaround in ball movement, shooting and defense that all came simultaneously toward the end of the first half. They cleaned up that sloppy play nicely, though it made a brief return in the second half leading to an annoyed Hurley timeout.

You have to admit, calling a game against Buffalo where it’s 12-11 or something like that a game where we were “going to have to find a way to win” is a pretty ridiculous overreaction. The margin was 25 about 30 minutes later.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Loved what Hurley was doing with him the entire game. He was hyping him up the whole time and kept him in to get the triple double and the standing ovation.

Hurley barely spoke about him in the preseason but he clearly knows how important he is for this team.
That’s a great observation. There’s been a lot of commentary about how sluggish Newton has looked. Maybe last nights game is what’s needed to get his mind right about his role here. He clearly can be a huge contributor for us. He needs to be for us to be as successful as we hope.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The 11th triple-double in UConn history and his stat line was 11p-11r-11a. Last guy to hit 20-10-10 was Shabazz vs Coppin st in 2013 with 22-12-13 according to an earlier post.
My bad; thought it was just triple double (not with 20 pts).

Reaction Score
Newton is a quiet/soft-spoken kid who lets his playing speak for him.. By his own admission.. And to his credit.. He has been disappointed with his progress to date. He'll get it figured out. I think Andre's/Hawk's absence from the lineup has made his task a little more challenging in the first few games re: his impact.

Last night was a good start to building his confidence back up to where it needs to be pre-PKI

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
You have to admit, calling a game against Buffalo where it’s 12-11 or something like that a game where we were “going to have to find a way to win” is a pretty ridiculous overreaction. The margin was 25 about 30 minutes later.
Over-reaction is correct, though I'll contest ridiculous. 1-14 on 3's at one point and sloppy passes/missed openings needed to turn around. Great that it did.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Dolt? No. At the time I wrote that we had been clanging rushed threes, not finding open people, and let Buffalo come back to take a (brief) lead. It's okay to be unhappy with how a team is currently playing. I'll plead guilty to not anticipating the great turnaround in ball movement, shooting and defense that all came simultaneously toward the end of the first half. They cleaned up that sloppy play nicely, though it made a brief return in the second half leading to an annoyed Hurley timeout.

This is accurate. He wasn’t playing like a PG WITH A TRIPLE DOUBLE until later. He wasn’t against BU either.

The team was rushing shots and playing sloppy with the ball at least the first 10 mins of the game.

The way the team and Newton played in the first 10+ minutes wasn’t great. Wasn’t crisp.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I really liked his dribble-drive penetration. There were games over the last handful of years where UConn didn't get to the line 17 times as a team.

What I didn't like...Was it me or was Chris Lewis calling him, "Newtson," all night? Dude just compiled a triple-double. Learn the Man's name!

Broken record time...UConn must improve their 3-point shooting as a team. Newton contributed 0-5 to that.

Reaction Score

I mean we did "find a way to win"... by being way bigger, skilled, and athletic at every position. Does that count?

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Props on the triple double to Newton. While the numbers look good my concern is that when the competition gets better the assists and point guards rebounds will dry up leaving a guy who took a lot of I'll advised shots to the tune of 28percent from the floor. He was also 0/5 from three. He has a lot to improve on but if he can continue to lean into his strengths ie. Fighting for boards, getting to the line and finding the open man he's gonna be a nice piece.

Reaction Score
I think Newton will be fine in Big East play. With Jackson and Hawkins returning, we won't need as much from him most of the time. Also, Jackson will handle it some and maybe even get him some more open looks. The team really just needs him to be consistent.

Reaction Score
Newtons comments in the Courant article about the game were very interesting. Talked about not being able to make a shot from the field so far this season, gave kudos to DC, AK, JC for being big contributors showing what they can add to the team this season, and looking forward to the return of Hawk and AJax. I really like this humble young player. He is going to do big things here over the next 2 years.

Reaction Score
Newtons comments in the Courant article about the game were very interesting. Talked about not being able to make a shot from the field so far this season, gave kudos to DC, AK, JC for being big contributors showing what they can add to the team this season, and looking forward to the return of Hawk and AJax. I really like this humble young player. He is going to do big things here over the next 2 years.
I'm sure this has been discussed in the off-season. Does Newton have another year of eligibility? Covid year?

Reaction Score
Kudos to TN. He’s done something remarkable. I’m trying not to be a doomsday fan because I’m not and don’t want to take away anything he deserves with this performance. I like the core group of players this year but think we’re going to struggle. They are lovable but a good team would’ve blown us out yesterday in the first 10 min with that awfulness of shooting and only flashes of good D. That was an awful Buffalo team. Yes, it’s arguable that we don’t have 3 of our top team players but name one of those 3 that is a sure thing. We all want to believe AJ and Hawk are NBA bound but they both have a bone to chew before that’s any certainty. Who really knows about SJ? And we have a coach in his 5th year with no tourney wins that loves to beat up on cupcakes that gets our casuals worked up - self included. AS is a beast and Clingan is for real but a true frosh that’ll make mistakes this year. Karagan could be special but let’s see when the big lights go on. The others seem to me that they can have great nights and nights where they don’t show up at all. Maybe it’s too early to say that. Next year I’m 100% sold with that class combined with the good leftovers from this year. This year, to me, looks like last year - which isn’t so bad and I’m happy with a hard knocking, lovable team. I could be completely wrong cuz I sure like whiskey. Lets hope they rise and surprise like a few past UConn teams. Sorry for the gloom but yesterdays win wasn’t that impressive. Again happy we won but any of the many power teams we’ve had would’ve won that by 40 or more.

Reaction Score
Kudos to TN. He’s done something remarkable. I’m trying not to be a doomsday fan because I’m not and don’t want to take away anything he deserves with this performance. I like the core group of players this year but think we’re going to struggle. They are lovable but a good team would’ve blown us out yesterday in the first 10 min with that awfulness of shooting and only flashes of good D. That was an awful Buffalo team. Yes, it’s arguable that we don’t have 3 of our top team players but name one of those 3 that is a sure thing. We all want to believe AJ and Hawk are NBA bound but they both have a bone to chew before that’s any certainty. Who really knows about SJ? And we have a coach in his 5th year with no tourney wins that loves to beat up on cupcakes that gets our casuals worked up - self included. AS is a beast and Clingan is for real but a true frosh that’ll make mistakes this year. Karagan could be special but let’s see when the big lights go on. The others seem to me that they can have great nights and nights where they don’t show up at all. Maybe it’s too early to say that. Next year I’m 100% sold with that class combined with the good leftovers from this year. This year, to me, looks like last year - which isn’t so bad and I’m happy with a hard knocking, lovable team. I could be completely wrong cuz I sure like whiskey. Lets hope they rise and surprise like a few past UConn teams. Sorry for the gloom but yesterdays win wasn’t that impressive. Again happy we won but any of the many power teams we’ve had would’ve won that by 40 or more.

North Carolina is the number one team in the country. They beat Gardner Webb by 6 last night. This is a breathtakingly bad post and on this board that’s saying something.

Reaction Score
North Carolina is the number one team in the country. They beat Gardner Webb by 6 last night. This is a breathtakingly bad post and on this board that’s saying something.
Okay, so this team is top 25. A “Breathtakingly” bad take would suggest I’m so wrong that they’re a top 10? Top 5? Please advise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom