Tristen Newton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tristen Newton

Reaction Score
I like Newton. Even before the triple-double tonight. Last year in big games we struggled to hide Cole defensively. I'm hopeful that won't be an issue this year.

Its early, but overall I think our backcourt is both more athletic and faster than last year. Promising start.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And some who shouldn't type the first thing that comes to mind.
That's it. I was at the game and jumped into the chat room on occasion. It was mostly nuts and sounded just like the guys sitting behind me at the game. But we're all fans.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
DH said he drew 13 fouls. Wow. Total stat stuffing night if there ever was one. I'm really glad because so far I've been a bit tepid - I like his ability to draw fouls but he's struggled to drop shots (as has most of the team).

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Definitely a coming out performance for him.

Anyone who doesn't think he's a PG after this should stop watching basketball.
I know what you mean, Verne.

Reaction Score
It's going to be a beautiful thing seeing Newton, Hawkins, Jackson, Karaban, and Sanogo together on the floor. Length, beef, speed, agility, complimentary styles... A bully ball guard, a sharpshooter, a high-end finesse point-forward, a court-aware forward, and a power center.

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
He showed me something tonight. Knowing he isn’t the most explosive or the most creative off the drib, he’s strong with the ball, smart, plays under control and uses his size as leverage when he drives. He’s also very unselfish, and back to the size… at 6’5” I can imagine him with Jackson & Hawkins, Karaban & Sanogo.. that is an imposing unit. But the best part for me is how well he plays with Clingan in the P&R game. That will quickly become an unstoppable action if Alleyne & Hawkins are shooting well & the defense can’t cheat underneath.
TN earned the triple double tonight. Best player on the court tonight. Excellent start to the season…. To think we didn’t shoot well & played sloppy and still won by 20

Reaction Score
I posted with confidence when I returned home from the Blue & White scrimmage that there should be no question that Newton is our starting point guard. If his shot was falling, he would have had 30 tonight. To some, he looks lazy or aloof out there, but he just gets to the basket effortlessly. I believe that once he settles into his reimagined role here at UConn, he will impact a lot of games in a big way.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He's drawing 9 fouls per 40 minutes so far this season. There's only 3 other guys drawing that many that have played 3+ D1 games so far.
This is really exciting. I remember that’s when Kemba and Bazz both made their leaps as players. By being able to draw fouls. Even if they had off shooting nights they controlled games by getting to the line like we saw out of Newton. It’s a skill that the best have and everyone on the team can learn from. Especially Hawk and AJ.

Reaction Score
Nice to finally have a guard who can drive to the hoop and finish and not have the ball stolen, tied up, or dribbled away like other guards in recent years.

caw

Reaction Score
Newton just set himself a pretty high bar. I mean every other UConn player that has had a triple double has been drafted. (Marshall, Sheffer, Butler, Okafor, Gordan, Williams, Thabeet, Kemba, Napier x 2, Daniel Hamilton).

Reaction Score
If he’s engaged, you’re right. He’s got a smoothness and feel for the game that not many of our guards have. Diarra and Alleyne are little bulldogs.

Sometimes he gets sloppy or looks less engaged, that’s when he’s average.

If he’s energetic and engaged AND making 3s (he hasn’t shot well yet) he’s gonna be our main creator and a real problem for opposing teams.
Im just interested to see if Hawkins takes that big leap so many are expecting because Hawkins/Newton could he among the best backcourts in the country and if thats the case you have a shot at a special, special season because backcourts win in March.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Dolt? No. At the time I wrote that we had been clanging rushed threes, not finding open people, and let Buffalo come back to take a (brief) lead. It's okay to be unhappy with how a team is currently playing. I'll plead guilty to not anticipating the great turnaround in ball movement, shooting and defense that all came simultaneously toward the end of the first half. They cleaned up that sloppy play nicely, though it made a brief return in the second half leading to an annoyed Hurley timeout.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Dolt? No. At the time I wrote that we had been clanging rushed threes, not finding open people, and let Buffalo come back to take a (brief) lead. It's okay to be unhappy with how a team is currently playing. I'll plead guilty to not anticipating the great turnaround in ball movement, shooting and defense that all came simultaneously toward the end of the first half. They cleaned up that sloppy play nicely, though it made a brief return in the second half leading to an annoyed Hurley timeout.
Exactly, team was playing like crap and Newton forced a couple of shots when he had guys running with him on the break.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom