Tristen Newton | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tristen Newton

Reaction Score
Kudos to TN. He’s done something remarkable. I’m trying not to be a doomsday fan because I’m not and don’t want to take away anything he deserves with this performance. I like the core group of players this year but think we’re going to struggle. They are lovable but a good team would’ve blown us out yesterday in the first 10 min with that awfulness of shooting and only flashes of good D. That was an awful Buffalo team. Yes, it’s arguable that we don’t have 3 of our top team players but name one of those 3 that is a sure thing. We all want to believe AJ and Hawk are NBA bound but they both have a bone to chew before that’s any certainty. Who really knows about SJ? And we have a coach in his 5th year with no tourney wins that loves to beat up on cupcakes that gets our casuals worked up - self included. AS is a beast and Clingan is for real but a true frosh that’ll make mistakes this year. Karagan could be special but let’s see when the big lights go on. The others seem to me that they can have great nights and nights where they don’t show up at all. Maybe it’s too early to say that. Next year I’m 100% sold with that class combined with the good leftovers from this year. This year, to me, looks like last year - which isn’t so bad and I’m happy with a hard knocking, lovable team. I could be completely wrong cuz I sure like whiskey. Lets hope they rise and surprise like a few past UConn teams. Sorry for the gloom but yesterdays win wasn’t that impressive. Again happy we won but any of the many power teams we’ve had would’ve won that by 40 or more.
Appreciate the opinion. Your head is in the exact spot mine was last year. We rolled a few cupcakes and many thought we were incredible. But I wasn't convinced we would be any better than the previous team that lost to Maryland in the 1st round.

That said, I'm reversing course this year. I'm seeing a pretty ok team. I'm definitely liking what I'm seeing this year more than what I saw at this time last year.

Tough to articulate everything quite yet, but I think we will be better. I think we will be more athletic, versatile and frankly just better basketball players.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Appreciate the opinion. Your head is in the exact spot mine was last year. We rolled a few cupcakes and many thought we were incredible. But I wasn't convinced we would be any better than the previous team that lost to Maryland in the 1st round.

That said, I'm reversing course this year. I'm seeing a pretty ok team. I'm definitely liking what I'm seeing this year more than what I saw at this time last year.

Tough to articulate everything quite yet, but I think we will be better. I think we will be more athletic, versatile and frankly just better basketball players.
Think the main thing is, last year we were a football team. This year we’re a basketball team. And I can’t wait to see how we look and play healthy against good competition.

Reaction Score
that announcer for the buffalo game was so annoying... pronouncing those t's double sharp
Trist-tin Newt-tin
just say it with me... Tris-tin New-tin

Reaction Score
that announcer for the buffalo game was so annoying
I was chuckling at him constantly bringing up stats at the beginning of the game.

"Well uconn is a great rebounding team, they've out rebounded their opponents by an average of 19 rebounds per game."

Dude we've played two games.

Reaction Score
I like Tristen Newton and I was excited for his acquisition.

Once people realize that with Newton is not a "traditional PG" and if we can show success running an offense with multiple guards/wings who can dribble/pass/score, then more fans will warm up to the idea of him as our "PG".

With our current lineup and without Cole, there's no chance our offense will look the same as it has in the last two years and that's ok as long as we win games, and, would be great if we start to win games in the tournament.

Reaction Score
I think TN is going to be a huge asset. For years we have gone through scoring droughts during games when nobody’s shot is falling. This young man can penetrate and draw fouls very effectively and proved it. He is also a very good free throw shooter. That will help save our butts during those droughts.
When we need to stop the bleeding he can go to the rack and get a foul very effectively and stabilize us.

Also he draws fouls at such a rate that it dramatically effects the other teams foul trouble and can get certain opponents players sitting on the bench. Been a long time since we had that.

Reaction Score
Here it is:

While At UConn: Appeared in 71 games for UConn, all starts, and currently holds the longest streak of consecutive games played and consecutive starts... Has scored 831 points (11.7 ppg), grabbed 588 rebounds (8.3 rpg) and handed out 298 assists (4.2)... Has led the American Athletic Conference in rebounding in conference games in each of last two years ... Named Most Outstanding Player of the 2016 AAC Championship, named to the 2015-16 AAC All-Conference Second Team ... Named AAC Player of the Week twice and to the AAC Weekly Honor Roll once... Was named the American Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year as a freshman, and became just the second UConn freshman to finish a season with at least 300 points, 200 rebounds and 100 assists… Has 17 double-doubles in his career, including a triple-double against Central Conn. as a sophomore, the 11th triple-double in UConn history.
Where is he now? Greece

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I like Tristen Newton and I was excited for his acquisition.

Once people realize that with Newton is not a "traditional PG" and if we can show success running an offense with multiple guards/wings who can dribble/pass/score, then more fans will warm up to the idea of him as our "PG".

With our current lineup and without Cole, there's no chance our offense will look the same as it has in the last two years and that's ok as long as we win games, and, would be great if we start to win games in the tournament.
I’m curious as to why Newton would not be a traditional PG? I’d venture to say I like him a lot more as our PG so far than Cole and our offense has looked so much better these first 2 games than at any point last year.

Reaction Score
I’m curious as to why Newton would not be a traditional PG? I’d venture to say I like him a lot more as our PG so far than Cole and our offense has looked so much better these first 2 games than at any point last year.
I used " " because he doesn't look like a traditional college PG. What's great about college basketball is that lineups have so much more creativity than in the pros, and Newton as our PG is an example of that.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I used " " because he doesn't look like a traditional college PG. What's great about college basketball is that lineups have so much more creativity than in the pros, and Newton as our PG is an example of that.
Oh do you mean height wise? Oh yeah I’d agree and I love that. Newton definitely makes us a very versatile team as a 6’5 true PG who can also get his.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
that announcer for the buffalo game was so annoying... pronouncing those t's double sharp
Trist-tin Newt-tin
just say it with me... Tris-tin New-tin
he plays in New England,
ergo, res ipsa loquitor, the correct and only pronounciation is
'Trist'n Newt'n.'
i call him 'Tris, or Newt.' im not too good at following someone else's rules.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think Newton will be fine in Big East play. With Jackson and Hawkins returning, we won't need as much from him most of the time. Also, Jackson will handle it some and maybe even get him some more open looks. The team really just needs him to be consistent.

All really good points here. Especially the consistency point.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
To be fair, I'd be willing to bet if you put a mic in every Boneyarder's living room during games you would hear similar stuff from the majority of us, even if we don't mean it.

This is what I texted to my sister at the time...

Screenshot_20221117-124641.png

Reaction Score
Newton grabs rebound and always looking to run or pass ahead. I love Rj but he never did this. He was a half court guard. He never or hardly pushed the ball. Jackson and Newton grabbing and going is going to be exciting.

It’s been pointed out but the fact that we shoot like crap and still win by 20. This shows the talent level is going up. When bench can come in and dominate like Joey and Donovan.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If Newton is our 4th best player, then I think we're a pretty damn good team.

Reaction Score
It's kind of unfair to compare RJ to Newton. They may have played the same position, but their games are so different. RJ was built for the half court game. Unless he was clear ahead of the pack, I don't think the coaches wanted him to be going up and down the floor. At the same time, he was excellent at using picks and splitting double teams to his advantage.
Newton has the natural size that on the break you have to foul him or let him go in. He has enough size that it is hard to go over him, especially since he has a shiftyness to him and hunts for contact. The team just needs him to find his stroke, which the past indicates will come with a little time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom