Transfer Portal | Page 32 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Didn't Hurley say something last year that kid's like Kadary Richmond were locked into their destination before they hit the portal? It might explain why our name isn't listed with some of these guys.

Reaction Score
I know everyone wants him but Nijel Pack is such a gamechanger, I do not want to get ahead of myself but if we can figure out how to get him I think we are a top 10 team next year

Reaction Score
Curbelo coming here would be interesting. Seems like something that could work out really well (super talented kid from a big-time team in a tough league at a position of great need) or really poorly (another non-shooter and coming off a pretty terrible end to the season). Would definitely be a talent upgrade over Gaffney, and it would lead to a lot of publicity and intrigue going into next season. I can't say I'm against it, though I'm sure there are better fits out there.
He’s certainly one of the most divisive transfers out there. There’s probably a place for him out there that he’d fit well with, but I’m n
Curbelo coming here would be interesting. Seems like something that could work out really well (super talented kid from a big-time team in a tough league at a position of great need) or really poorly (another non-shooter and coming off a pretty terrible end to the season). Would definitely be a talent upgrade over Gaffney, and it would lead to a lot of publicity and intrigue going into next season. I can't say I'm against it, though I'm sure there are better fits out there.
Certainly one of the most divisive transfers out there. I’m sure there’s a coach that could harness some of the good things he does. But he was brutal last year. Him sitting in their last tourney game and no big ten teams recruiting him says it all…

Reaction Score
i HATED watching curbelo this year, but i don't hate taking a gamble on local-ish talent. would definitely make from some intrigue.

if we could find a grown-man pg out of europe, i would be absolutely thrilled, though.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard in 2 acts:

When Dan Hurley isn't offering anyone

Wake Up Bb20 GIF by Big Brother

When Dan Hurley finally offers someone

it takes you away series 11 GIF by Doctor Who

Reaction Score
Patrick baldwin has to be up there as well.
It actually hates Baldwin. It has him as arguably the worst player on his own crappy team. I’m interested to see where he’s drafted and how he does. It feels like his entire career is riding on his unproven jumper, but if he falls far enough he could also be a steal. Weird situation.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
1) he was quoted saying he wants to play a 4 out 4 guard lineup and 2) he was further quoted as saying he wants a starting PG and another starting scoring G
Show me the quote. I've read the articles and watched the clips. I'm sure he'd like a "starting caliber" scoring guard, but good luck with that. The words I saw used were "scoring point guard"

"When you look at the perimeter, I'm feeling great about Andre and what Jordan can do next year with their length and skill set and athleticism," Hurley said. "You expect Andre to absolutely be a dynamic player. I expect Jordan next year to be one of the top shooters/scorers. I think both of those guys will make a huge, huge jump next year.

"And you're talking about having a center (Sanogo) who's going to be, I would imagine, (Big East) preseason player of the year and a potential All-American. So, it's supplementing those three guys with the things we need in terms of skill and shooting."

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It actually hates Baldwin. It has him as arguably the worst player on his own crappy team. I’m interested to see where he’s drafted and how he does. It feels like his entire career is riding on his unproven jumper, but if he falls far enough he could also be a steal. Weird situation.

Dude clearly can’t create his own shot

His j reputation and size will get him a look though

Supposedly he only had 7 clean looks this year.

That sounds almost impossible to me

And putting up what is described as lackadaisical effort while playing for your dad and risking getting his ass fired is…something

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why? He left Georgetown because he didn't like the program. Now the coach he committed to got fired and they hired a new coach. Why should he have to stay to play for a coaching staff he didn't commit to?

A regular college student can transfer to a new school every single year if they want to. Why should an athlete not have that luxury if they want to do what is best for their future?
I agree, in theory, but in practice it would be a mess. Also, as fishy points out, there is a downside to liberalizing use of the portal. While it undoubtedly facilitates the movement of quality kids upward, it also facilitates the movement of marginal kids out of D1 basketball. De facto free agency is not going to be a good thing for most kids. Many of them are going to lose what would, in all likelihood otherwise be a opportunity to attend four years of college for free.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the cry babies at the next level getting paid tens of millions to play a game can demand trades on a whim, I don’t see why it’s a problem an 18 year old unpaid college student shouldn’t have the right to find a better situation for themselves without a penalty.
The problem is that there is a penalty, namely, the loss of their existing scholarship which is typically a de facto consequence of transfer into the portal.

Reaction Score
4 out and 4 guards aren't the same thing, I don't recall him saying he wanted to play a 4 guard lineup.
navery posted the quote above. hurley wants to bring in 2 more starting Gs, and hawk/jackson/sanogo are obviously the other starters, so that means he wants to play a 4 G lineup.

that's using deduction but i'm almost positive he explicitly said he wanted to play 4 Gs like he did at URI.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
navery posted the quote above. if hurley wants to bring in 2 more starting Gs, and hawk/jackson/sanogo are the other starters, then that means he wants to play a 4 G lineup.
This would be the end of Rock Fight Hurley basketball.

Here’s hoping!

Reaction Score
The Boneyard in 2 acts:

When Dan Hurley isn't offering anyone

Wake Up Bb20 GIF by Big Brother

When Dan Hurley finally offers someone

it takes you away series 11 GIF by Doctor Who
It seems like many have said, we have to have someone or they don’t know what they’re doing. I’ll go with the former, but not feeling great about it.

it seems he is extremely slow to learn obvious things 80% of us see (Can’t play two centers, need multiple dribbler/penetrators, need a bunch of shooters) but at the end of the day ultimately, he does figure it out And is willing to change. That’s very important.

Big spring For him. Is he just a builder or can he take a team a long way in March?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
navery posted the quote above. hurley wants to bring in 2 more starting Gs, and hawk/jackson/sanogo are obviously the other starters, so that means he wants to play a 4 G lineup.

that's using deduction but i'm almost positive he explicitly said he wanted to play 4 Gs like he did at URI.
Except it isn't a quote. It's someone paraphrasing him. He did not say he wanted to play 4 guards. He said he wanted 4 skilled perimeter players.

Edit: he further talks about being able to get skilled size, saying he "should be able to do that at this level". I take that to mean what I always believed. He had to play 4 guard because he couldn't bring in skilled bigs at URI. At UConn he can bring in size with skill. Karaban, Johnson and hopefully more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes.

Him.

Now.

This is the guy

Meh. He's ridiculously streaky and doesn't shoot well from 3. Not sure this is the guy. In the last 10 games of the season he shot 10/39 from 3. He had that 27 point game, but also 3 games of 2 and 0 points in the same span. Wasn't much better at the rim either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom