Transfer Portal Window 2023 | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's 22 years old and has played college basketball for 3 seasons. What he did in high school is far from relevant. It is ridiculous to me when guys cite a years-old recruiting ranking like that matters. Should we recruit Aidan Igiehon since he was a 5* in high school? He averaged 2.6 for Grand-freakin' Canyon University this year.

Curbelo had an 83 and 94 offensive rating the past 2 seasons. That's some of the worst #s in all of high-major basketball. He's a 21% 3-point shooter and has a serious injury history.

There are about 100 guards in the portal who could put up 4 assists and 3 TOs on a lousy team. We already have a plethora of passers anyways. Andre, Castle, Karaban, and Newton are all excellent passers. We need shooters.

Yeah, he's not at our level. Stop kidding yourself.

Excuse me if I take Hurley’s assessment over yours. Anyone can read a stats chart.

Reaction Score
He's 22 years old and has played college basketball for 3 seasons. What he did in high school is far from relevant. It is ridiculous to me when guys cite a years-old recruiting ranking like that matters. Should we recruit Aidan Igiehon since he was a 5* in high school? He averaged 2.6 for Grand-freakin' Canyon University this year.

Curbelo had an 83 and 94 offensive rating the past 2 seasons. That's some of the worst #s in all of high-major basketball. He's a 21% 3-point shooter and has a serious injury history.

There are about 100 guards in the portal who could put up 4 assists and 3 TOs on a lousy team. We already have a plethora of passers anyways. Andre, Castle, Karaban, and Newton are all excellent passers. We need shooters.

Yeah, he's not at our level. Stop kidding yourself.
He's also a bad culture guy unless Hurley could change him

Reaction Score
Ace Baldwin is in the portal. I’d LOVE him next to Castle

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Not close to our level? The kid was a top 50 recruit coming out of HS and our coach says that he sees the floor exceptionally well, which is what we look for a PG to do.

Good lord we don’t want Curbelo on this team. Insanity. No chance.

Incidentally, I took Hurley’s comment more as “you can be a good player if you listen to people who are trying to help you.” It would be stunning to me if we went after this kid.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
Can someone enlighten me on the NIL situation… I follow the PSU hoops board too (went to UConn, live in PA, my son will be a freshman there this fall).. and every post is basically about nil. .. we want so and so player but he’ll cost $40k and this other guy will be 6 figures etc…. But I’ve never seen much talk along those lines here for us. I have no idea, but I would think they would have more resources than we do here, yet every complaint on their board is they can’t afford to “hire” a solid team bc they only have $400k in NIL funding right now. Anyone have any insight?

Reaction Score
Can someone enlighten me on the NIL situation… I follow the PSU hoops board too (went to UConn, live in PA, my son will be a freshman there this fall).. and every post is basically about nil. .. we want so and so player but he’ll cost $40k and this other guy will be 6 figures etc…. But I’ve never seen much talk along those lines here for us. I have no idea, but I would think they would have more resources than we do here, yet every complaint on their board is they can’t afford to “hire” a solid team bc they only have $400k in NIL funding right now. Anyone have any insight?
Our staff is buttoned up in general and I think in regards to NIL that is an especially prudent course. Schools aren't really supposed to be involved with NIL and NIL isn't supposed to be used in recruiting. It is, but no good things come from talking about it.

Reaction Score

Who is georgetown bringing in? Thought Cooley would bring all his players with him

Impressive start to the offseason for Kim English.

Looks like Providence have four starters between Oduro, Hopkins, Carter and Dual/Fernandez.

All they need is a PG and they'll be a pretty good team next year.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Impressive start to the offseason for Kim English.

Looks like Providence have four starters between Oduro, Hopkins, Carter and Dual/Fernandez.

All they need is a PG and they'll be a pretty good team next year.
McNamara immediately back tracked on that tweet, saying no commitment has actually been made.

Reaction Score
Hopkins, Carter, and Floyd kind of don’t have a choice as it stands now. One can never predict what the NCAA will do, but they’ve said second-time transfers won’t be immediately eligible.
Exceptions are almost always made when the coach leaves though.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Good lord we don’t want Curbelo on this team. Insanity. No chance.

Incidentally, I took Hurley’s comment more as “you can be a good player if you listen to people who are trying to help you.” It would be stunning to me if we went after this kid.
Please no. I wish the kid well, but I'd rather not see him in a UConn uniform.

Reaction Score
In the past, yes, but the NCAA has said a change in coach is no longer enough for a waiver. They took away the “run off” clause, too.
It's incredible that even with these adjustments, there are still 1176 players in the portal in March!

As if stands, I love UConn's approach in the portal so far. We have a clear plan: acquire an SG with good size.

Similar to our approach to HS recruiting, we aren't thirsty: we focus on a smaller pool of players and lock in. Personally, I'd love that: if I'm Boogie Fland, I'm like I'm the only PG their recruiting in my class and UConn is only offering four guys right now. I'm a priority.

You can't deny that all of our targets are designed by our staff to feel like a priority, which is special.

MJ1

Reaction Score
In the past, yes, but the NCAA has said a change in coach is no longer enough for a waiver. They took away the “run off” clause, too.
The exception would be if the new coach does not offer a scholarship. I.e Rick Pitino, other than Soriano he did not offer any player a scholarship so they would qualify for a waiver even if they transferred in the past.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't surprise me if UConn has better NIL options for kids for basketball than PSU. Schools themselves can't pay players, so PSU having more money is moot. No one cares about PSU basketball, it's all football. So there are not going to be many people willing to invest money in players on their basketball team. I'm sure players on their football team are cleaning up. UConn basketball is a national brand and there are going to be people/businesses willing to invest in the players.

Reaction Score

Traudt was redshirted this year after ranking as the #64 prospect of '22 and the top prospect from Nebraska.

6'10 229 face-up big who has range. Not known as a rim protector.

Overall, very nice pickup for Creighton. For now, he'll play behind Kalkbrenner, but maybe with his shooting he can get minutes at the 4.

Reaction Score
The exception would be if the new coach does not offer a scholarship. I.e Rick Pitino, other than Soriano he did not offer any player a scholarship so they would qualify for a waiver even if they transferred in the past.

That’s not the guidance schools are getting at this point. My sense is that they’re going to have to have some flexibility, but it’s not their first choice approach.

7D609ECF-61F6-4F4E-911C-E6C62CF92B83.jpeg

Reaction Score

Traudt was redshirted this year after ranking as the #64 prospect of '22 and the top prospect from Nebraska.

6'10 229 face-up big who has range. Not known as a rim protector.

Overall, very nice pickup for Creighton. For now, he'll play behind Kalkbrenner, but maybe with his shooting he can get minutes at the 4.

Big exodus from UVA this year...this one was already known that he was home sick so Creighton/Nebraska were pretty much the only options

Kadin Shedrick is another interesting one to watch from UVA...showed flashes in the season, especially in the tourney loss (put up 15/13 I think). Word is he wanted to transfer last year but parents made him stick it out and he basically packed it in this season...bad attitude, but definitely potential there. Expect to see some big names in on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom