Transfer portal part 2 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal part 2

Reaction Score
tenor.gif

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Any chance coach freese is stepping away. She's gone through a lot the past couple years. On Twitter someone mentioned this has happened a lot at Maryland but I can only really remember Lexie Brown and Shakira Austin.

Also do u think the transfer portal and recruiting are a different skill. It's interesting, the schools that may have struggled bringing in a strong recruiting class can still make a significant step up via the portal. The thing is though it's so much upper class man because of the grad transfers and COVID year, I guess it's not the proper way to build a program. Like I'm interested if Kara Lawson goes as heavy this year with the portal additions.
Brown, Austin, Mikesell, and Slocum off the top of my head. Others include Jenna Staiti, Natasha Cloud, Olivia Owens. The number of transfers isn't startling as much as its all of these players leaving after great seasons. Austin and Mikesell had great sophomore years and left, Slocum was NFOY, Brown/Reese/Owusu were All Americans. I've been a Brenda defender since she develops players well and has consistently kept Maryland a strong program for 15+ years but something is seriously wrong if your best players consistently leave year after year.

Reaction Score
Notable that she doesn't thank the coaches. And she did seem to get a lot less playing time this past year. (Though to be honest, she also seemed notably less fit, which matters a lot when you are partially running the point. She was so much less impactful in our March game than our November one.)
I like the part where she envisioned her jersey hanging from the rafters. No thanks (replying to Owusu Tweet).
Im The Best Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On Reese...TN was in her finals list. She end up there...and they become a top 5 team with depth issues. Other options for her off the top of my head...UCLA, ND, N. Carolina, Duke, Texas. To shorten this post...secondary...UCONN, SC...LSU.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
On Reese...TN was in her finals list. She end up there...and they become a top 5 team with depth issues. Other options for her off the top of my head...UCLA, ND, N. Carolina, Duke, Texas. To shorten this post...secondary...UCONN, SC...LSU.
I think she'll stay close to home, her younger brother plays on the Maryland men's team too.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think she'll stay close to home, her younger brother plays on the Maryland men's team too.

Maybe her brother is in the portal as well. The coach who recruited him is gone.

Reaction Score
I hope some ambitious filmmaker is doing a documentary called "the portal". Lot of drama and stories here.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
As far as NWHoopfan being unbiased, I will have to disagree with that. He is always making snide remarks about SC.
What can I say, Dawn invites it w/ that huge chip on her shoulder and us against the world approach, playing the "no respect" card long after South Carolina became one of the most respected programs in the country. I don't like her shtick, thus I don't like her team.

Reaction Score
Exactly. She has a foul proof coating she applies liberally before every game.

Okay, just to prove I'm not a liar, I looked up her stats. 51 fouls in 37 games. Not even 1 1/2 per game.
Assume the officials think “if we’re going to let everyone else hack her forty times a night, might as we’ll save her 5”

Reaction Score
These high school players might want to start jumping on their scholarship offers quicker.
Honestly know a coach at a high level Atlanta program (every rotation player goes to college) who says he can’t get his players to understand the impact of the extra year and the portal.

Mid and low level D1 girls think they can wait for a better offer that’s never going to come because college staffs are waiting for the portal. Said savvy D2’s could clean up just by being patient.

Reaction Score
Ha ha, that sounds like the old Shaq arguments. It is true, if it's not called, it doesn't count.

edit--and I was of the opinion that Shaq should've fouled out of every game he ever played, what with the way he liked to put his shoulder straight thru the defender's chest and knock them backward 5 feet
This might explain it then, as the general consensus is every player guarding college Shaq would’ve fouled out if the refs didn’t shrug and say “he’s big. Whadda ya expect?”

Reaction Score
I think it's fair to question how she is officiated. She gets away with a lot of contact, that is not an unreasonable assertion to make. NWHoopfan is pretty unbiased and I have seen similar sentiments from other fanbases. I can only imagine the kind of numbers Brink could put up if she had the freedom Boston does from refs.

I have seen her several times as well and she does get away with a substantial amount of contact. In the tournament alone, I saw her plow through screens with nothing called. Some of her offensive rebounds are actually offensive fouls. When you are a star, you get benefit of the doubt though.
I'm totally biased and I do think she gets away with calls at times like any other player, but not the extent some make it out to be. But I will say that Boston is a very fundamentally sound player that plays with a high IQ. She plays as the officiating allows and adapts and she knows how to use body as an advantage. Whenever she's unsure about a call she actually asks(not argue) with refs what they are calling and makes the appropriate changes. She picks when to gamble and her timing is usually pretty good. Again I'm biased but I think in my attempt to be objective, she's one of the better post players I have seen as it relates to playing well without fouling. Which I find pretty remarkable given how often she is fouled and mauled in her double/triple team coverage but she doesn't really retaliate for the cheap fouls that get many post players in trouble when in a similar situation.

Reaction Score
That's Diamond Miller. She is expected to stay along with Shyanne Sellers.

I'm going to bed. I have a splitting headache.
I'm so sorry, Maryland is going through it. If it's any consolation a few years ago we (SC) had an exodus that seemed like a real setback for the program at this time of year in 2019. As a result we ended up in better shape after those players left and we've experienced our best run of basketball ever since. So you never know if it could be a blessing in the longrun.

Reaction Score
Any chance coach freese is stepping away. She's gone through a lot the past couple years. On Twitter someone mentioned this has happened a lot at Maryland but I can only really remember Lexie Brown and Shakira Austin.

Also do u think the transfer portal and recruiting are a different skill. It's interesting, the schools that may have struggled bringing in a strong recruiting class can still make a significant step up via the portal. The thing is though it's so much upper class man because of the grad transfers and COVID year, I guess it's not the proper way to build a program. Like I'm interested if Kara Lawson goes as heavy this year with the portal additions.
The Marylands fans can comment on their coach specifically, but in both the women's and the men’s game, coaches who are euphemistically “old school” (because it’s impolite to say ash pole) coaches have struggled to keep kids unless they’re winning bigly.

Before, you could smile and play nice during the courting, then show the day to day after they signed and the players didn’t have much choice. Suck it up or lose a year. Now, if players don’t like the way they’re treated, they can peace out.

It’s similar in nature to the explosion in divorces after no fault became widespread. Eventually, the divorce rate leveled off and has since even declined a bit from the peak because people adapted to the new reality through changing their behavior. Coaches will have to do the same.

/Fingers crossed this doesn’t follow the trend ITT that is definitely coincidental of Carolina fans getting called out for responding to a comment from a fan of another school not specifically about a player in the portal.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This might explain it then, as the general consensus is every player guarding college Shaq would’ve fouled out if the refs didn’t shrug and say “he’s big. Whadda ya expect?”
Sorry I've drifted us off topic now, but re: Shaq I don't remember him in college much, more as a pro. I guess it's a glass half empty or glass half full thing, depends on how you look at it. To me, his 325 or 350 lbs. dished out way more punishment to opponents than he ever received. Here's a career defining moment for me: Sabonis gets Shaq's knee buried into his chest, then gets hit w/ a T when he grabs onto said leg to try to keep from falling over backwards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom