Time for Nika to shine! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Time for Nika to shine!

Reaction Score
I agree that Lou probably comes off the bench to be our scoring threat when Azzi or Caroline are subbed but she may be one of our top 5 in Crunchtime.

Reaction Score
Can't you just imagine having Azzi Caroline Lou on the court together? Either with Nika in a 4 out, or with Dorka Aaliyah (with Ice and Ayanna subbing in) this would be a potent offensive group.

Run this group for 5 mins early and 5 mins late, and then run the other team ragged with the all D lineup -- Nika Azzi Caroline Aubrey Aaliyah (subbing Ayana in).

And if there's anything left, hit them with the BIG lineup -- Dorka Ice Aaliyah Caroline and either Nika or Azzi, and let Amari and Ayanna sub in for Dorka and Aaliyah.

Oh, the possibilities!

Reaction Score
It seems that quite a few posters over several different threads, are discounting what Nika will contribute to the teams success this season. Some have characterized her as 'serviceable' and a decent passer, others have speculated that Azzi or Caroline would be better options at point guard (save for the fact that they would be burdened in doing so as they are needed as scorers - so we have to settle for Nika) and lastly it will have to be 'point guard by committee' this season.

When Geno recruited Nika I don't believe he did so as someone that could simply fill out the roster, but rather as, 'someone who is a basketball player rather than someone who plays basketball', a comment he has made in reference to her and others on the roster. He saw something he liked in her game and I would argue still does. Over her two seasons at Uconn he has called on her to be a significant contributor to the teams success. He has challenged her to come back, this upcoming season, adding some offense to keep the defense honest so they can't play off her. He has said several time that the team is better with her on the floor. I believe she has heard that challenge, understands why it is needed and will have worked at addressing it. She, as much as anyone on the team, post Paige's ACL injury certainly realizes that she needs to step up to help fill the major void left by Paige's absence this season.

Of the five returning players (that played significant minutes) last season, Nika is first in steals and assists and is virtually tied with Caroline, among the three returning guards in offensive, defensive and total rebounds. And then there is what she brings on the defensive end.

She, has expressed on more than one occasion, that she hadn't seen her role as being a scorer with the groups of teammates she has had her first two seasons, but rather as a facilitator and energy/intensity bringer. I have expressed in prior threads that I don't believe Geno shared that view and has expressed that with her. She indicated that she 'gets it now' and before leaving campus earlier this summer indicated 'it was time to grow up some and take a bigger leadership role'. I think she will and expect her to continue to grow in importance to the teams success this year, rather than as some, with seemingly much lower expectations, simply hope for her to be 'serviceable at point' .

Reaction Score
I haven’t seen anyone discounting Nika’s contributions. But many of us are aware of her limitations as a point guard. Despite this, I (and many likeminded folks) think it’s important for her to get playing time. I see the Tennessee game from last year as a model of Nika at her best, wreaking havoc on their point guard, getting steals and fast break scores, and generally disrupting the other teams game plan. I love her for this.

But, and it’s a big but, we all also remember how Geno used her sparingly in the latter half of tournament games. He knows what we suspect, namely that Nika’s limited offense allows opponents to sag off her and double others. She can pass well in the half court set, but once we’re facing our real competition, she won’t be able to do that if she isn’t also a threat to score off the drive. And currently she isn’t.

She knows all this, and she’s working in it now. I look forward to seeing Nika 3.0. She’ll be awesome, mainly because Nika 2.0 was already pretty great.

Reaction Score
Has anyone on the BY done a Nika cameo?
Yes, I asked her to give a birthday shout out to my dad who will be 100 when the season starts. He has joined me over the last decade to become an avid UCONN wcbb fan and I try to get over to his place to watch most games with him. I plan to share the video with him closer to his birthday in October. Nika's video was great she has such an engaging personality which was in full display!

Reaction Score
Yes, I asked her to give a birthday shout out to my dad who will be 100 when the season starts. He has joined me over the last decade to become an avid UCONN wcbb fan and I try to get over to his place to watch most games with him. I plan to share the video with him closer to his birthday in October. Nika's video was great she has such an engaging personality which was in full display!
That’s so awesome all the way around!

Reaction Score
I haven’t seen anyone discounting Nika’s contributions. But many of us are aware of her limitations as a point guard. Despite this, I (and many likeminded folks) think it’s important for her to get playing time. I see the Tennessee game from last year as a model of Nika at her best, wreaking havoc on their point guard, getting steals and fast break scores, and generally disrupting the other teams game plan. I love her for this.

But, and it’s a big but, we all also remember how Geno used her sparingly in the latter half of tournament games. He knows what we suspect, namely that Nika’s limited offense allows opponents to sag off her and double others. She can pass well in the half court set, but once we’re facing our real competition, she won’t be able to do that if she isn’t also a threat to score off the drive. And currently she isn’t.

She knows all this, and she’s working in it now. I look forward to seeing Nika 3.0. She’ll be awesome, mainly because Nika 2.0 was already pretty great.
I completely agreed with you and the South Carolina final was a prime example of matchups and how they can cause you to win or lose against the best competition. In the first quarter with Dorka down I am sure Liv and Aaliyah were told not to foul because we were short handed for bigs. That led to everyone standing with their hands up while and SC crashed the boards with Dawn knowing we were short on Bigs. This caused them to jump ahead and we never came back.
SC also has 5 really good defenders and the shut our team down to 9 points in the first quarter. Paige didnt try and takeover yet. Now our problem was to try and score against this defense. Paige can score on anybody but it is was hard for her just coming back from injury. The only other matchup advantage we had was when Caroline came in the game and scored down low because of her size advantage. Nika didnt help with the matchups and Geno as you have said stayed away from her in the latter part of the tournament.
The point of my previous comment was we have other options such as Azzi and Caroline. Knowing Nika she is working all day on her game because she wants to not let her teamates down as well as her good friend Paige. We all hope Nika version 3.0 comes back and surprises us with penetration and scoring and kicking out and knocking down 3 pointers. Her leadership and intensity has never been a question.!!!!!! Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Not sure why some feel the need to constantly defend Nika, commenting that she will play score more this year, be the dominate defensive guard in the US, play the most minutes of any guard, etc. Hope those forecasts are correct but if she plays as well as she did the 2nd half of last year, we will be a top 5 team. Basketball is a game of matchups and we have one of the best mix of guards this year with Nika, Azzi, Lou and Caroline able to mix and match as needed. I view Aubrey as a small forward, but she also can shut down big guards. No one can replace Paige, but I predict this group will shoot 3's more consistently, play better defense, and implement a motion offense that most teams will find difficult to overcome.

Reaction Score
Just sent in a request for a Cameo from Dorka for my buddy who graduated from Uconn in the 70's, fan from day one of Uconn wcbb! I'm sure he will get a kick out of her video message.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
At a halftime interview last season, Geno quipped "Nika picks up one or two fouls during the pregame warmup."

I think Nika will step it up this year, because she is that kind of kid. And there's no way she'll want to let down her slime.
The consensus seems to be that Nika MUST tighten up her game. She will be perceived as a leader as an upperclassman. She must be ready to play 29-33 minutes a night. She must stay on the floor (especially in the first half) by staying out of foul trouble. She’s got 4 fouls to give. She must choose wisely when to risk a foul (choose her battles).

There will be nights when Nika will be whistled for two fouls before the seats are warm. Those nights the reserves must be ready to make a significant contribution minute and production wise.

Her back up should see significant playing time. She’s aggressive but must play under control by realizing she’s more valuable to Geno and the team if she can stay on the floor. The longer Nika is in the game, the better our chances are of winning the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Nika is so great. Really nature. Has an inner confidence and toughness about her.

I believe Nika's little sister, Hana, is now planning to play for BALL STATE, no??
Hana's first Verbal Commitment was to one the schools in the Illinois system,
Urbana?? I plan to follow Hana!! Go Huskies! Go Muhl sisters!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I believe Nika's little sister, Hana, is now planning to play for BALL STATE, no??
Hana's first Verbal Commitment was to one the schools in the Illinois system,
Urbana?? I plan to follow Hana!! Go Huskies! Go Muhl sisters!
I believe she committed to the University of Illinois and opted out after the coaching change. Dam, we could have used her.

Reaction Score
Every UConn WBB fan loves Nika’s combination of toughness, relentless defensive effort and leadership. She also pushes the ball up the court in transition with a furious pace. But with the injury to Paige, Nika’s role with the Huskies will change significantly. This past season, UConn had as many as 3 capable pg’s: Paige, Evina & Nika. As of right now, Nika is the sole pg for UConn this upcoming season. In a pinch, Azzi and Lou could certainly fill in at pg, but Nika will be the primary option at pg. As such, there are several things she will need to focus on:
  • Take care of the ball. Nika had a problem as a freshman with some careless passes. She was much better as a sophomore and hopefully will continue to improve as a junior.
  • Stay out of foul trouble. We all know that Nika believes she never commits a foul. Unfortunately, the refs don’t necessarily agree. UConn needs Nika on the court for 30+ minutes a game. She can’t play those kinds of minutes if she’s on the bench in foul trouble.
  • Improve her ability to score. Geno has tasked Nika with working on her shooting this off season. In order to be effective at pg, she can’t allow defenses to play off of her.
  • Stay healthy! Nika’s all out style of play has resulted in more than a few injuries during her first two seasons in Storrs. UConn needs Nika to be healthy and on the court.
I’m going to go out in the limb here. I think Nika will step up this coming season, earning 1st team all-conference honors while leading the Huskies to yet another FF. Of course I may be incorrect. But optimism costs nothing at this point in time.
" In a pinch ...?" We are in a pinch. The team will deal as best they are able. Good luck.

Reaction Score
Nika reminds me, and probably others, of Kelly Faris. She has a similar ferocity on D. Faris wasn’t stuck playing point guard and she was a little better at finishing at the rim and perhaps a better rebounder. Otherwise, their contributions to the team seem similar. Nika can turn the tide in a close game, provide a spark that ignites something, and this is just what Faris did so often. Above all, each of them just brought so much energy to the floor. And whoever they were assigned to guard would end up demoralized.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Nika reminds me, and probably others, of Kelly Faris. She has a similar ferocity on D. Faris wasn’t stuck playing point guard and she was a little better at finishing at the rim and perhaps a better rebounder. Otherwise, their contributions to the team seem similar. Nika can turn the tide in a close game, provide a spark that ignites something, and this is just what Faris did so often. Above all, each of them just brought so much energy to the floor. And whoever they were assigned to guard would end up demoralized.
You are right, and I would add that Kia Nurse is another apt comparison. Her 3-point shot would come and go, but her defense and her hustle were constant. All three of these players (Kelly, Kia, and Nika) were team players through and through, and Geno had to persuade them to take their own personal offensive skills more seriously.

Reaction Score
No one player will make up for the loss of Paige. The sentiment for Nika should be applied to everyone on the team. Imagine what the season would be like if Dorka, Azzi, Caroline, lou, Aliyah, Aubrey along with Nika had outstanding seasons.
Yup. This isn't all on Nika. Every member of the team has to play their game. If everyone is 100% healthy and the team has developed a solid chemistry and understands their role within the team concept, good things are going to happen, all the while lifting up Paige and keeping her in the team mix.

Reaction Score
I always agree, my take on Nika is different. I believe you overlooked a great Point guard in Caroline. No Geno never used her as such. However, if you watch all the games she played, she is an excellent passer. She sees the court extremely well, she is a quick learner. She shoots the three and drives with the best of them, sometimes a bit carefreely. (is there a word?)

Nika, is exceptionally better in 2 areas: Shooting and not fouling (as much). She will be better in both this year. If you expect an "all out--give it your all--take no prisoners" to change drastically--you really don't want that to happen. What is great about Nika is--NIKA.

Nika shall never ever be PAIGE. She came to us when we needed her and she drove this team to victories we were not expected to win. The same is true of Caroline. Geno is loyal, Geno hates to lose, Geno adapts (some never thought so, we've seen proof), and he'll adapt his players. The great ones excel, the not so great find another team. Nika, is working on being great.

Oldude, please accept my apology for "Cheerleading for Nika and Caroline". I believe!

Reaction Score
I don’t think Nika’s assists and her ability to finish in the lane and whether she has a pop-up midrange jumper are not separate issues. If she’s not a scoring threat inside, she won’t be able to draw other defenders in to help so she can pass to the perimeter shooters.

Currently, Azzi can get her own shot off the dribble, as can Caroline and Lou to a lesser extent. But the offense can’t reach peak potential if they have to do that all the time. Nika doesn’t have to be MoJeff to contribute in this way. But it wouldn’t hurt if she could channel just a little of Mo’s spirit and confidence.
Mojef was one of my favorites. Nika is a totally different body style. Aerodynamics aren't part of Nika as they were with Mojeff. When your center of gravity is low, you don't float through the air with the greatest of ease. You don't easily stop and pop to do that you need speed and Nika at time reaches supersonic, but not in the pack in the lane. Mojeff could. A Stanford Professor says often, it is becoming my Mantra: You don't need to be perfect to be good.
Most things AZZI, I believe. When she breaks the Freshman ice, look out!

Reaction Score
I've got to admit I've been reticent to write a reply such as you have, BobbyJ, not so much as to avoid the inevitable shots against the bow from Nika's many fans, but more so because we're all reeling from Paige's latest injury and I figured why bother to quell whatever enthusiasm or future hope any fellow BYer might have.

That said, I believe you're spot on. I've been amazed at how many people have advocated for more minutes for Nika right from the start of her UConn career, when her on-court performance and its impact on the Huskies' fortunes don't merit it. The myths of how she is the reason for UConn's successes are just that.

Nika is so amazingly likable and charismatic that I understand why she's a fan favorite but, in spite of Geno's words of praise, I find it hard to conceive he'd trust the Huskies' season to her as the chief point guard. By committee, whatever one might want to call it, is the way they'll need to go.

Along with everyone else, I'll be rooting for Nika to be substantially improved and enjoy a strong season but, as BobbyJ said, she just hasn't shown topflight point guard talent... attitude and energy, yes, but not the skills.
Not a shot across your bow. Nika,I've defended her here, because I see what you don't see. Personality,drive, determination. She just won't accept defeat. Geno sees that too. Or is he wrong in playing her when games are on the losing side of the W collumn? I respect your opinion, and your right to express it. My opinion is different. However, while it is fun to state those opinions here--GENO and probably only GENO will determine Nika's playing time. No offense intended.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I always agree, my take on Nika is different. I believe you overlooked a great Point guard in Caroline. No Geno never used her as such. However, if you watch all the games she played, she is an excellent passer. She sees the court extremely well, she is a quick learner. She shoots the three and drives with the best of them, sometimes a bit carefreely. (is there a word?)

Nika, is exceptionally better in 2 areas: Shooting and not fouling (as much). She will be better in both this year. If you expect an "all out--give it your all--take no prisoners" to change drastically--you really don't want that to happen. What is great about Nika is--NIKA.

Nika shall never ever be PAIGE. She came to us when we needed her and she drove this team to victories we were not expected to win. The same is true of Caroline. Geno is loyal, Geno hates to lose, Geno adapts (some never thought so, we've seen proof), and he'll adapt his players. The great ones excel, the not so great find another team. Nika, is working on being great.

Oldude, please accept my apology for "Cheerleading for Nika and Caroline". I believe!
I don’t feel like Caroline has the handle to be a point guard per se. But the hallmarks of an Auriemma team are movement and passing. So, to an extent, everyone’s going to take turns filling that role.

Reaction Score
Nika,I've defended her here, because I see what you don't see. Personality,drive, determination. She just won't accept defeat. Geno sees that too. Or is he wrong in playing her when games are on the losing side of the W collumn?
To the contrary, in March Geno often left Nika on the bench at crunch time, or occasionally used an offense-defense platoon. Why? It's a deep mystery, but it may have something to do with her scoring limitations. In the 4th quarter, when teams are evenly matched, and both teams are locked in, we can't afford to play 4 on 5 in the half court offense.

However, while it is fun to state those opinions here--GENO and probably only GENO will determine Nika's playing time.
You're not being serious here, I hope. Because I'm waiting for my paycheck as Geno's BY consultant.

But the hallmarks of an Auriemma team are movement and passing. So, to an extent, everyone’s going to take turns filling that role.
Truer words were never spoke, nor writ. This is what Stanford runs, too, a positionless offense. Watching games from the Stewie-Steph years, the speed of the passing game is stunning. We haven't often matched that in the last two seasons.

Reaction Score
To the contrary, in March Geno often left Nika on the bench at crunch time, or occasionally used an offense-defense platoon. Why? It's a deep mystery, but it may have something to do with her scoring limitations. In the 4th quarter, when teams are evenly matched, and both teams are locked in, we can't afford to play 4 on 5 in the half court offense.

You're not being serious here, I hope. Because I'm waiting for my paycheck as Geno's BY consultant.

Truer words were never spoke, nor writ. This is what Stanford runs, too, a positionless offense. Watching games from the Stewie-Steph years, the speed of the passing game is stunning. We haven't often matched that in the last two seasons.
I like what you say. As for Nika on the bench. There is a time for Nika and a time not for Nika. Which can be true of each player. Geno, also, feeling a bit snake bit--with all the injuries, may have been keeping her in reserve, knowing in those games her--SPARK would not be needed. As much as I like Nika--she isn't Paige, Caroline, or CW. Her talent is in her desire --her never give in never give up. SPARK.
Every sidelining isn't a physical injury, yet physical. Geno, allows his players some level of privacy. Personally, I have no need to know why any player isn't playing, yet I'm curious

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom