Time for Nika to shine! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Time for Nika to shine!

Reaction Score
I think it’s backwards to hope the perimeter shooter can open things up for the point guard.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nika was happy to pass the ball to get the best/ highest percentage shot. Im sure Nika will be practicing her shooting, ability to get open and her mid range shots now that Paige is out of commission. Dont underestimate Nika's ability to score.
No one doubts Nika’s desire to get assists or her willingness to do whatever it takes to help the team. But as BobbyJ said, Nika doesn’t have innate point guard skills. How many times did everyone yell at the TV that Dorka or Liv were WIDE open in the paint but the ball never got into them? Knowing where to be for the best passing angle is one of those innate skills. So, no, Nika does not always get the highest percentage shots.

FWIW, Evina is like Nika in this regard. I am still amazed the Huskies limped into the championship game having gotten there with Nika and some wings running the point. Geno should have been COY.

I am not denigrating Nika’s ability to be a serviceable PG, though. She’s quick with the ball and she doesn’t seem to be rattled by a press, which I expect opponents to throw at the Huskies this season. Her energy and leadership abilities are nonpareil, which will be important. I just think people shouldn’t expect the second coming of Sue Bird to suddenly appear in Nika.

Reaction Score
As long as no one else is injured, we will continue to be a top five team. However, that is certainly not guaranteed and I am hoping Geno pulls some kind of rabbit out of his hat and finds a player overseas that can help.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
No one doubts Nika’s desire to get assists or her willingness to do whatever it takes to help the team. But as BobbyJ said, Nika doesn’t have innate point guard skills. How many times did everyone yell at the TV that Dorka or Liv were WIDE open in the paint but the ball never got into them? Knowing where to be for the best passing angle is one of those innate skills. So, no, Nika does not always get the highest percentage shots.

FWIW, Evina is like Nika in this regard. I am still amazed the Huskies limped into the championship game having gotten there with Nika and some wings running the point. Geno should have been COY.

I am not denigrating Nika’s ability to be a serviceable PG, though. She’s quick with the ball and she doesn’t seem to be rattled by a press, which I expect opponents to throw at the Huskies this season. Her energy and leadership abilities are nonpareil, which will be important. I just think people shouldn’t expect the second coming of Sue Bird to suddenly appear in Nika.
Nika will be fine. First of all, her fouling has decreased immensely since her freshman year. The point that it is mentioned every televised game is a running joke that Geno keeps going for the media. She is smart, and I think she will rise to the occasion and surprise a lot of people. We know that she can play the position, and her passing skills are above average. Watching past videos of her pre-UConn shows she can shoot the pull-up and drive to the hoop. Per Geno these shooting skills were her homework assignment during the summer, and if she can get past her mental block of always passing it off, she may be a very important, and pleasant surprise to us and our opponents. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt and concentrate on the area that will really need to come through to make us formidable: The front court.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I expect everyone including Nika to step up and improve but to make a FF, Azzi will have to be the biggest star in the firmament and one who can give the team that blind confidence you need so the team can play loose and up to their level

Geno said it last year after the NC State game, you need that one player who can instill the team with supreme confidence to get you over that E8 hump.

Reaction Score
I’m expecting point guard by committee, led by Nika, but she has to stay on the floor. Anyone know if Senechal can play a few minutes at the one? I remember Caroline bringing the ball up at times. I’d prefer not to have Azzi at the one, you want her on the wing. There should be times this year where 5 UConn players on the court are 6-1 or taller.

Reaction Score
Nika will be fine. First of all, her fouling has decreased immensely since her freshman year. The point that it is mentioned every televised game is a running joke that Geno keeps going for the media. She is smart, and I think she will rise to the occasion and surprise a lot of people. We know that she can play the position, and her passing skills are above average. Watching past videos of her pre-UConn shows she can shoot the pull-up and drive to the hoop. Per Geno these shooting skills were her homework assignment during the summer, and if she can get past her mental block of always passing it off, she may be a very important, and pleasant surprise to us and our opponents. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt and concentrate on the area that will really need to come through to make us formidable: The front court.
I'd be happy to give Nika the benefit of the doubt if little doubt remained. However, Bald Huskie, she actually committed more fouls per minute last year than during '20-21, one every 11 minutes compared with one every 14 the previous season. That stat was in the range of Aaliyah and Liv, and far more fouls per than anyone else on the team.

My doubts about Nika, as I stated above somewhere, are that I don't believe she has the point guard savvy or the passing skills requisite for a national title contending point guard. She'll make the effort, for sure. 'Serviceable,' to quite HuskyNan, might be the best description for what we've gotten and likely would receive from Nika this coming season.

Clearly the front court has its question marks, especially what the Huskies will get from the freshmen, but if Nika is your best bet for 30 minutes per game at the controls, I'll remain hopeful yet dubious about the Huskies' prospects to go to the top. And, no, I don't have a conspicuous alternative, rather that it'll need to be a 'by committee' approach until someone proves the obvious solution.

Reaction Score
I expect everyone including Nika to step up and improve but to make a FF, Azzi will have to be the biggest star in the firmament and one who can give the team that blind confidence you need so the team can play loose and up to their level

Geno said it last year after the NC State game, you need that one player who can instill the team with supreme confidence to get you over that E8 hump.
Don't sleep on Caroline! If both Azzi and Caroline have great seasons, we will be having great success. Key really might be Nika's command at the helm of the offense. And what a wild card Amari Deberry could be!

Reaction Score
1st bolded, this isn't close to accurate. It's made up to support your point.
2nd bolded, her passing skills are no better than average and mostly to open players on the perimeter with no creativity.
3rd bolded, those videos were against competition with a talent level below top level HS AAU teams in the US. Top level D1 college defenses are a different story.

Reaction Score
Well, you have to dance with the girls you bring to the ball, so we will have to see how it all works out.

I think it's reasonable to have lowered expectations for the team going into the season on the offensive side of things. Nika will have to learn to control her aggression and temper her emotions to stay on the court as several posters have pointed out. She will be a junior this season and suddenly finds herself in a position I doubt she ever expected to be in. I hope she has the maturity to do the work to make the needed changes in her game to maximize her contributions to the team. I think she will.

If she doesn't, Geno will do what he has to do to put the team in the best position to win.

Reaction Score
I'd be happy to give Nika the benefit of the doubt if little doubt remained. However, Bald Husky, she actually committed more fouls per minute last year than during '20-21, one every 11 minutes compared with one every 14 the previous season. That stat was in the range of Aaliyah and Liv, and far more fouls per than anyone else on the team.

My doubts about Nika, as I stated above somewhere, are that I don't believe she has the point guard savvy or the passing skills requisite for a national title contending point guard. She'll make the effort, for sure. 'Serviceable,' to quite HuskyNan, might be the best description for what we've gotten and likely would receive from Nika this coming season.

Clearly the front court has its question marks, especially what the Huskies will get from the freshmen, but if Nika is your best bet for 30 minutes per game at the controls, I'll remain hopeful yet dubious about the Huskies' prospects to go to the top. And, no, I don't have a conspicuous alternative, rather that it'll need to be a 'by committee' approach until someone proves the obvious solution.
I disagree. First off, Nnika doesn't foul. Second, Nika has a sufficient skill level to lead UConn up to and through the NC game. Third, Geno likes the way UConn's offense runs when Nika is on the floor. I don't know who to put more faith in, your judgement or Geno. I'll go way out on a limb and say Geno. Having said all that, Nika isn't going to play 35 minutes per game, so yes, something else is needed. If it's a "committee" then that is not a good thing for UConn.

Reaction Score
I’m not worried about Nika fouling out. I’m worried about probably having to play her more than 20 minutes a game. If Nika or Azzi get hurt we might as well eliminate the point guard position because we wouldn’t have a backup.

Reaction Score
I guess if SC had to play Amihere at PG last year we can make do somehow if Azzi or Nika get hurt but it won’t be easy.

Reaction Score
I guess if SC had to play Amihere at PG last year we can make do somehow if Azzi or Nika get hurt but it won’t be easy.
Amihere brought the ball up the court. She was not an effective point guard. That's expecting too much of her, even though she is quick for 6'4" and has decent handles.

Caroline can bring the ball up the court, but she too is not really a point guard. Neither is Lou. Aaliyah was occasionally a 'point forward' in high school and probably had better skills for that role than Caroline Lou or Amihere. But she doesn't have that kind of quickness anymore.

If Nika and Azzi have to miss games, of course, we'll have to bite the bullet and let Dorka bring the ball up the court... er, I mean Caroline and Lou. But it will have to be a different offense. For one thing, the team will be noticeably slow. Caroline is no sprinter -- she's just a smart player who doesn't get out of position often. Lou looks to be a little quicker, but I doubt she's going to be as smart as Caroline within the UConn system. That will take time.

What would a lineup without Nika and Azzi look like? Caroline, Lou, Aubrey (for her speed), Ayanna, Aaliyah. We pound the lane and try to open Lou up from the perimeter. It's a huge lineup -- like the lumbering lineups Tennessee sometimes puts on the court -- no one under 6'1", and strong with Aaliyah and Ayanna (or Ice) punishing anyone who tries to drive into the lane. I hope we don't have to run this lineup for long, since it will be so vulnerable to a quick opposing point guard, like Charisma Osborne, who shredded a similar lineup last year.

Reaction Score
Heh, SC won a championship with Amihere playing PG for 3-4 games. I don't think they liked it but they did what they had to do. There were a lot of other guards on that team but they put the ball in Amihere's hands. We have to think outside the box sometimes. And this was Dawn Staley's decision, who knows something about being a point guard.

Reaction Score
Heh, SC won a championship with Amihere playing PG for 3-4 games. I don't think they liked it but they did what they had to do. There were a lot of other guards on that team but they put the ball in Amihere's hands. We have to think outside the box sometimes. And this was Dawn Staley's decision, who knows something about being a point guard.
Sure, but they still had Cooke and Beal available for those games, as well as Grisette and Rivers, and Boston is a bit quicker than our bigs. Their overall team speed was just better than ours would be in such a situation. In effect, they played without a point guard for a few games.

We can do it, too. But we’ll be slower. We may take some losses. Even SC almost lost to Stanford without Henderson at point guard. I hope we don’t have the injuries that put us in such a situation. Still, I’m curious to see what would happen.

Reaction Score
The point being that SC had almost all but 2 of their guards available yet they put the ball in Amihere's hands. It may be that Caroline is our best PG option after Azzi and Nika. It's not necessarily a conventionally sized PG.

Reaction Score
The point being that SC had almost all but 2 of their guards available yet they put the ball in Amihere's hands. It may be that Caroline is our best PG option after Azzi and Nika. It's not necessarily a conventionally sized PG.
Well I am glad we started to talk about Caroline as an option to run the offense with Azzi staying as one of our two 3 point treats along with Lou. Caroline offers us penatration, size and another 3 point shooter. I think she is a much better outside shooter then she showed last year. I think she rushed a lot of shots because she had too. She was our leading scorer for quite awhile last year. A lineup of Caroline as PG, Azzi as the 2, Lou at the 3. Aaliyah at the 4 and Dorka at the 5 I think is a potent offensive team. We would then have Nika, hopefully Aubrey, Deberry as the first 8. Brady and Patterson might show early and demand playing time. We will be OK but we would have been better with Paige but we will have to learn how to deal with it. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Well I am glad we started to talk about Caroline as an option to run the offense with Azzi staying as one of our two 3 point treats along with Lou. Caroline offers us penatration, size and another 3 point shooter. I think she is a much better outside shooter then she showed last year. I think she rushed a lot of shots because she had too. She was our leading scorer for quite awhile last year. A lineup of Caroline as PG, Azzi as the 2, Lou at the 3. Aaliyah at the 4 and Dorka at the 5 I think is a potent offensive team. We would then have Nika, hopefully Aubrey, Deberry as the first 8. Brady and Patterson might show early and demand playing time. We will be OK but we would have been better with Paige but we will have to learn how to deal with it. Go Huskies
This is an interesting line-up, my first reaction was that this would restrict Caroline from operating near basket which is a nice aspect to her game, but with the motion offense and all it’s movement, Caroline could still be around basket plenty. If Lou is a good shooter, then Caroline would get decent 3 pt attempts too. I’d rather Caroline shoot the 3 than Nika, who while she has made some, seems more reluctant to shoot- maybe Geno is telling her to become more assertive on offense. I like our offense better when the 5 plays up high and Aaliyah sets up down low. Maybe Dorka as PG isn’t so crazy after all?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Amihere dribbled the ball up the court as a backup pg during a handful of games in the middle of the season. When the Big Dance rolled around, not only did Amihere not play pg, but she played fewer & fewer minutes when Dawn limited PT, as most coaches do in the Tournament.

In the championship final vs UConn, Amihere played 9 minutes, with a stat line that included 1 basket, 1 rebound, 1 personal foul and 0 assists. I seem to recall Dawn lamenting the fact that she had not done an effective job of integrating Amihere into the lineup, or something to that effect.

Amihere is a talented player. But she is most certainly not a pg.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Yes, that line-up you project is pretty potent, but we can't put all of our eggs in one basket. That line-up has no game breaker player coming off the bench, meaning in a close game the starters will be playing too many minutes. This is what happened last year, so Lou has to come off the bench to not give our opponents a reason to pack the paint. I happened to see a highlight video of Lous season last year, and after viewing it I felt a lot better about her talents. Yes, lower competition, but the girl can shoot with pretty good moves. Also has a good handle driving, so if anyone doubts her abilities, check it out. I believe Nika may be the huge piece of the puzzle. If she can play conservatively, her presence on the court means the others will not be saddled with the PG position, meaning they can do what they do best, score. Maybe Aubrey can become the defensive guru that Nika is since she has always been one of our best defensive players.

Reaction Score
This is an interesting line-up, my first reaction was that this would restrict Caroline from operating near basket which is a nice aspect to her game, but with the motion offense and all it’s movement, Caroline could still be around basket plenty. If Lou is a good shooter, then Caroline would get decent 3 pt attempts too. I’d rather Caroline shoot the 3 than Nika, who while she has made some, seems more reluctant to shoot- maybe Geno is telling her to become more assertive on offense. I like our offense better when the 5 plays up high and Aaliyah sets up down low. Maybe Dorka as PG isn’t so crazy after all?
With our "motion" offensive I don't see that Caroline will be " restricted from
operating near the basket". Remember those shots from the corner and the
backdoor cuts, as well as those high feeds from Dorka and ONO? Caroline is
"SWEET CAROLINE" and the tune she carries will be great to listen to watch!!
Go Huskies!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom