Time for Nika to shine! | The Boneyard

Time for Nika to shine!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Every UConn WBB fan loves Nika’s combination of toughness, relentless defensive effort and leadership. She also pushes the ball up the court in transition with a furious pace. But with the injury to Paige, Nika’s role with the Huskies will change significantly. This past season, UConn had as many as 3 capable pg’s: Paige, Evina & Nika. As of right now, Nika is the sole pg for UConn this upcoming season. In a pinch, Azzi and Lou could certainly fill in at pg, but Nika will be the primary option at pg. As such, there are several things she will need to focus on:
  • Take care of the ball. Nika had a problem as a freshman with some careless passes. She was much better as a sophomore and hopefully will continue to improve as a junior.
  • Stay out of foul trouble. We all know that Nika believes she never commits a foul. Unfortunately, the refs don’t necessarily agree. UConn needs Nika on the court for 30+ minutes a game. She can’t play those kinds of minutes if she’s on the bench in foul trouble.
  • Improve her ability to score. Geno has tasked Nika with working on her shooting this off season. In order to be effective at pg, she can’t allow defenses to play off of her.
  • Stay healthy! Nika’s all out style of play has resulted in more than a few injuries during her first two seasons in Storrs. UConn needs Nika to be healthy and on the court.
I’m going to go out in the limb here. I think Nika will step up this coming season, earning 1st team all-conference honors while leading the Huskies to yet another FF. Of course I may be incorrect. But optimism costs nothing at this point in time.

Reaction Score
At a halftime interview last season, Geno quipped "Nika picks up one or two fouls during the pregame warmup."

I think Nika will step it up this year, because she is that kind of kid. And there's no way she'll want to let down her slime.

sun

Reaction Score
I could see Nika being the "predominantly" full time PG, as long as she plays smart enough to be able to help UConn beat the better teams.
You know that Geno will try different PG packages to deliver enough points to make up for Paige's absence.
Nika may get run a little bit ragged if she's playing her usual hard nose defense & PG.
Maybe Geno will use a committee or tandom approach sometimes in order to train the back ups.
But if UConn loses to some of the better teams and falls out of the top 10, then we might see some changes regarding Nika's PT at PG.
There's 50% - 50%, 60% - 40%, or 70% - 30% etc...
A lot may depend on how much scoring that different packages produce ,and the amount of fouls, rest & injuries and to which players.
It would be nice if Nika could be the primary PG because that would make things easier, but I have a feeling that there may be more of a committee approach for a percentage of the time.
Geno may need to not put all of his eggs in one basket.
Someone needs to step up to fill Paige's shoes, if not as a PG then as a ball handler/play maker & scorer.
With an emphasis on scoring when the clock winds down.
I'd like to see Azzi become an All-American this year.
she certainly has the skills and now the opportunity to carry more weight for the team.

Reaction Score
How to get Nika to change some of her more problematic tendencies without detracting from her intensity, energy and defensive assertiveness?
Probably something that Geno & Company have been wrestling with for a couple of years.
Now the ball is literally in Nika’s court.
She’ll either show her experience and maturity in the face of the changes in her expanded role given Paige’s absence , or she’ll be stuck in the same old hesitation to let the shot go, trying to force passes into coverage, and too much physicality at the wrong time.
I LOVE watching Nika play and really dig her enthusiasm and fearlessness.
She now has, due to unfortunate circumstances, an opportunity to be the leader on the floor, one of the true stars in the conference and, most importantly, the role model for the sophomores and freshman.
Maybe, with her determination and laser focus, she can help turn UCONN’s awful circumstance into a team triumph.
Like Geno says, you have to actually play the games in order to know what’s going to happen

Reaction Score
Every UConn WBB fan loves Nika’s combination of toughness, relentless defensive effort and leadership. She also pushes the ball up the court in transition with a furious pace. But with the injury to Paige, Nika’s role with the Huskies will change significantly. This past season, UConn had as many as 3 capable pg’s: Paige, Evina & Nika. As of right now, Nika is the sole pg for UConn this upcoming season. In a pinch, Azzi and Lou could certainly fill in at pg, but Nika will be the primary option at pg. As such, there are several things she will need to focus on:
  • Take care of the ball. Nika had a problem as a freshman with some careless passes. She was much better as a sophomore and hopefully will continue to improve as a junior.
  • Stay out of foul trouble. We all know that Nika believes she never commits a foul. Unfortunately, the refs don’t necessarily agree. UConn needs Nika on the court for 30+ minutes a game. She can’t play those kinds of minutes if she’s on the bench in foul trouble.
  • Improve her ability to score. Geno has tasked Nika with working on her shooting this off season. In order to be effective at pg, she can’t allow defenses to play off of her.
  • Stay healthy! Nika’s all out style of play has resulted in more than a few injuries during her first two seasons in Storrs. UConn needs Nika to be healthy and on the court.
I’m going to go out in the limb here. I think Nika will step up this coming season, earning 1st team all-conference honors while leading the Huskies to yet another FF. Of course I may be incorrect. But optimism costs nothing at this point in time.
And it's cost is not rising with inflation! ha!

Reaction Score
No one player will make up for the loss of Paige. The sentiment for Nika should be applied to everyone on the team. Imagine what the season would be like if Dorka, Azzi, Caroline, lou, Aliyah, Aubrey along with Nika had outstanding seasons.

Reaction Score
No one player will make up for the loss of Paige. The sentiment for Nika should be applied to everyone on the team. Imagine what the season would be like if Dorka, Azzi, Caroline, lou, Aliyah, Aubrey along with Nika had outstanding seasons.
This is exactly what I expect to happen. Everyone will be inspired by this setback.

Reaction Score
The key to NIka's success it to be the best version of herself as she takes on the new season and the expanded role that she will have. She needs to play within herself and her abilities. She must not try to do more than she is capable of in a misguided attempt to replace all that Paige brings. If she can do that she (and the team) will be fine.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The key to NIka's success it to be the best version of herself as she takes on the new season and the expanded role that she will have. She needs to play within herself and her abilities. She must not try to do more than she is capable of in a misguided attempt to replace all that Paige brings. If she can do that she (and the team) will be fine.
She also needs to keep herself on the floor. If that means dialing back her defensive intensity, then that’s what she’s got to do. It may, however, just mean that she has to player smarter. No reaches, especially when beaten.

Reaction Score
How to get Nika to change some of her more problematic tendencies without detracting from her intensity, energy and defensive assertiveness?
Probably something that Geno & Company have been wrestling with for a couple of years.
Now the ball is literally in Nika’s court.
She’ll either show her experience and maturity in the face of the changes in her expanded role given Paige’s absence , or she’ll be stuck in the same old hesitation to let the shot go, trying to force passes into coverage, and too much physicality at the wrong time.
I LOVE watching Nika play and really dig her enthusiasm and fearlessness.
She now has, due to unfortunate circumstances, an opportunity to be the leader on the floor, one of the true stars in the conference and, most importantly, the role model for the sophomores and freshman.
Maybe, with her determination and laser focus, she can help turn UCONN’s awful circumstance into a team triumph.
Like Geno says, you have to actually play the games in order to know what’s going to happen
I agree! Two memorable quotes from Nika that apply even more in this upcoming year:
"Everybody eats" (i.e. We're all in this thing together), and "With an assist you make two people
happy" (i.e. This UCONN team with continue to bond and "assist" one another in many
predictable and mysterious ways). Go Nika! Go Huskies!!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
It is good to hear so many fans assuming that Aubrey will be back and healthy. Maybe they know something. I remain cautious. but we are going to need every resource we have.
The defense improves with Aubrey and Nika on the floor together. Hopefully their offense will improved so they can be on the floor together. :rolleyes::)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Caroline will shoulder Paige's scoring load.
1659647261092.png

Reaction Score
I wonder if Nika's role will be redefined by Geno as a result of Paige's injury. It seemed to me that on the offensive end Nika's role was toned down quite a bit, not just in terms of her own scoring, but also regarding her ability to create for others. We all know Nika is a very good passer, and yet her assists per minute are nowhere close to what she is capable of. You can only get a modest number of assists hanging out on the perimeter looking for someone who was left open by the defense.

She did that role pretty well but still had too many turnovers, given that she was playing fairly conservatively. The question now is that with Paige gone is Geno willing to turn her loose so to speak. Leaders in assists have to be able to create openings with penetration. I have no doubt Nika could produce a ton of assists and great looks for our players inside, and draw and dish to our great outside shooters in Azzi, Caroline and Lou.

The question is more about the results when that pass is just not there. In her pre Uconn videos Nika took it to the basket fairly often, but of course against much weaker than top Division 1 competition. The ability to finish with at least a passable percentage, and not too many turnovers is still kind of an unanswered question. In my opinion a pull up jumper and floater would be nice, but those are skills that she doesn't seem to have, at least yet.

I hope Geno gives her some rope to try to create for others with penetration. I suspect the reality will be the offense will run great if he does, but she probably will have too many turnovers and and some difficult finishes. Do the benefits exceed the downside with her penetration? I think so, but it has to be given a good trial to know. Otherwise a player with great passing instincts, but a little reckless, will be reduced to a sound system passer from the perimeter, which seems like a waste of her talent to me. Obviously getting out and breaking more would be suited to her talents as well, and maybe as the starting PG this year we can see more of that too.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Nika’s assists and her ability to finish in the lane and whether she has a pop-up midrange jumper are not separate issues. If she’s not a scoring threat inside, she won’t be able to draw other defenders in to help so she can pass to the perimeter shooters.

Currently, Azzi can get her own shot off the dribble, as can Caroline and Lou to a lesser extent. But the offense can’t reach peak potential if they have to do that all the time. Nika doesn’t have to be MoJeff to contribute in this way. But it wouldn’t hurt if she could channel just a little of Mo’s spirit and confidence.

Reaction Score
I could see Nika being the "predominantly" full time PG, as long as she plays smart enough to be able to help UConn beat the better teams.
You know that Geno will try different PG packages to deliver enough points to make up for Paige's absence.
Nika may get run a little bit ragged if she's playing her usual hard nose defense & PG.
Maybe Geno will use a committee or tandom approach sometimes in order to train the back ups.
But if UConn loses to some of the better teams and falls out of the top 10, then we might see some changes regarding Nika's PT at PG.
There's 50% - 50%, 60% - 40%, or 70% - 30% etc...
A lot may depend on how much scoring that different packages produce ,and the amount of fouls, rest & injuries and to which players.
It would be nice if Nika could be the primary PG because that would make things easier, but I have a feeling that there may be more of a committee approach for a percentage of the time.
Geno may need to not put all of his eggs in one basket.
Someone needs to step up to fill Paige's shoes, if not as a PG then as a ball handler/play maker & scorer.
With an emphasis on scoring when the clock winds down.
I'd like to see Azzi become an All-American this year.
she certainly has the skills and now the opportunity to carry more weight for the team.
If UCONN falls out of the top 10?
You’re kidding me, right?
With this roster?
This team will be winning right out of the gate.
May be playing a style that we are as yet unaccustomed to.
Supremely confident here.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Nika's role will be redefined by Geno as a result of Paige's injury. It seemed to me that on the offensive end Nika's role was toned down quite a bit, not just in terms of her own scoring, but also regarding her ability to create for others. We all know Nika is a very good passer, and yet her assists per minute are nowhere close to what she is capable of. You can only get a modest number of assists hanging out on the perimeter looking for someone who was left open by the defense.

She did that role pretty well but still had too many turnovers, given that she was playing fairly conservatively. The question now is that with Paige gone is Geno willing to turn her loose so to speak. Leaders in assists have to be able to create openings with penetration. I have no doubt Nika could produce a ton of assists and great looks for our players inside, and draw and dish to our great outside shooters in Azzi, Caroline and Lou.

The question is more about the results when that pass is just not there. In her pre Uconn videos Nika took it to the basket fairly often, but of course against much weaker than top Division 1 competition. The ability to finish with at least a passable percentage, and not too many turnovers is still kind of an unanswered question. In my opinion a pull up jumper and floater would be nice, but those are skills that she doesn't seem to have, at least yet.

I hope Geno gives her some rope to try to create for others with penetration. I suspect the reality will be the offense will run great if he does, but she probably will have too many turnovers and and some difficult finishes. Do the benefits exceed the downside with her penetration? I think so, but it has to be given a good trial to know. Otherwise a player with great passing instincts, but a little reckless, will be reduced to a sound system passer from the perimeter, which seems like a waste of her talent to me. Obviously getting out and breaking more would be suited to her talents as well, and maybe as the starting PG this year we can see more of that too.
IMO, that's not a good idea based on the reasons you give. Understanding how to attack a defender, see through the defense, find the passing windows, and knowing when to shoot are PG instincts you either have or don't by the time you get to college. The book on Muhl is that she can't pull up to shoot or get all the way to the rim. When she gets to the paint she'll stop and look for the bailout pass. After 2 years of college I doubt those instincts suddenly appear, they show up early in HS like Bueckers or KK Arnold. I wouldn't put the ball in her hands for 30+ minutes a game.

Reaction Score
Nika was happy to pass the ball to get the best/ highest percentage shot. Im sure Nika will be practicing her shooting, ability to get open and her mid range shots now that Paige is out of commission. Dont underestimate Nika's ability to score.

Reaction Score
She went to the basket a little more often and stronger than her freshman year but the biggest offensive weaknesses are that she tends to stop dribbling when she drives right to left through the lane and walks and she doesn't have a real pull up. Actually, it is the same deficiency because a pull up will obviate her being lost in hyperspace when she can't finish with a lay up. I believe I saw some video of her working on it. She doesn't have to be great just a credible threat. She will likely be physically stronger too which will go a long way and will help noticeably on her 3s. If Lou 2 is a very consistent 3 point shooter it will help Nika a lot as well. Nika has a great heart and we love her but these offensive improvements just became must haves.

Reaction Score
IMO, that's not a good idea based on the reasons you give. Understanding how to attack a defender, see through the defense, find the passing windows, and knowing when to shoot are PG instincts you either have or don't by the time you get to college. The book on Muhl is that she can't pull up to shoot or get all the way to the rim. When she gets to the paint she'll stop and look for the bailout pass. After 2 years of college I doubt those instincts suddenly appear, they show up early in HS like Bueckers or KK Arnold. I wouldn't put the ball in her hands for 30+ minutes a game.
I've got to admit I've been reticent to write a reply such as you have, BobbyJ, not so much as to avoid the inevitable shots against the bow from Nika's many fans, but more so because we're all reeling from Paige's latest injury and I figured why bother to quell whatever enthusiasm or future hope any fellow BYer might have.

That said, I believe you're spot on. I've been amazed at how many people have advocated for more minutes for Nika right from the start of her UConn career, when her on-court performance and its impact on the Huskies' fortunes don't merit it. The myths of how she is the reason for UConn's successes are just that.

Nika is so amazingly likable and charismatic that I understand why she's a fan favorite but, in spite of Geno's words of praise, I find it hard to conceive he'd trust the Huskies' season to her as the chief point guard. By committee, whatever one might want to call it, is the way they'll need to go.

Along with everyone else, I'll be rooting for Nika to be substantially improved and enjoy a strong season but, as BobbyJ said, she just hasn't shown topflight point guard talent... attitude and energy, yes, but not the skills.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom