Three Man Weave Twitter Preview Thread - #8 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Three Man Weave Twitter Preview Thread - #8

Reaction Score
The only real basketball people who have a problem with Andre is his opponent’s coaching staff. He just finds a way to win.
Who said they had a problem with him?

Reaction Score
I just think it's a fool's errand to try to compare Andre's offensive output to anyone. In all my years of watching UConn basketball he was unique as a complete donut offensively. I loved the kid and you can put me in the camp that thinks his absence will be a bigger issue than some are conceding, but he made Taliek look like a polished scorer. Getting 28% from Castle is going to be different than 28% from Andre because I assume it would be on a higher volume of shots, he'll be shooting contested shots, shots off of curls, off the bounce, and, beyond that, Castle can still beat guys off the dribble and pull up from the mid-range, can score at the rim, basically has an offensive package that bears no resemblance to what Andre brought to the table.
I agree with almost all of that. I'm just in the camp that if Castle is shooting 28% from three come February, this place won't see it as "no big deal".

I've been one of Andre's biggest defenders/supporters on this board, we're going to miss so much of what he brings to the court, and I noted early on their offensive skillsets are nothing alike. I'm just talking about their 3pt shooting percentage, and how this place will react to it.

Reaction Score
Yeah Spencer is not Hawkins in many ways but in some he is a better overall ingredient. Maybe even more so this year than he would’ve been last. The steady, consistent, savvy vet added to what overall is a young squad is a wonderful addition.
A question for those that think Cam is an upgrade over Hawkins. Think he will be drafted higher than 14?

Reaction Score
I am not as bullish on this years team as I was with last years team. A few reasons.
We are missing our 2 go to guys on offense. Need a bucket? Feed Adama or run a quick hitter for Jordan.
Lost our best defensive player and facilitator.
Lost our 2 leaders.
We were pretty much injury free. I know Samson missed the season but did we miss him?
We will be everyone’s biggest game. That wears on a team.
So much depends on Clingan. How does he respond? Teams will include Karaban as a big part of their game plan. Can he rise to the occasion?
Really, really, really hard to repeat.

Reaction Score
A question for those that think Cam is an upgrade over Hawkins. Think he will be drafted higher than 14?
I don't think Cam is better then Hawkins, but this is a silly comparison regardless. Draft is based on future value vs elite competition. We're wondering if a 5th year Cam Spencer will be better then s sophomore Hawkins vs. NCAA comp.

Hawkins is a more skilled shooter. His screen work and contested shooting is a level above Spencer. The question is how much Spencer's playmaking makes up the gap.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hawkins was a better player than Spencer last year. Spencer is here to help fill the void of Hawkins/Joeys elite shooting, not to live up to the overall package Hawkins provided.

Reaction Score
eehhhhh okay, not worth debating about. but it's not an either/or situation. part of his scoring issue was his inability to consistently make wide open shots from 3. you can't say one didn't impact the other. his poor shooting from deep is why we had to move him to the baseline in the offense. he thrived because we didn't ask him to do the thing that was an issue for him.

Castle brings a much more polished offensive game to the court, if Andre had his ability to get to the lane and finish he'd have been a top 5 pick. But 28% needs to improve for him and the team to reach their potential. I can't see Hurley parking him on the baseline the way we did with AJ
He won't park Castle on the baseline the way he did with AJ because that would take away what Castle is so good at. He parked Andre on the baseline later on in the season because he figured out that played to his strengths.

Reaction Score
I just think it's a fool's errand to try to compare Andre's offensive output to anyone. In all my years of watching UConn basketball he was unique as a complete donut offensively. I loved the kid and you can put me in the camp that thinks his absence will be a bigger issue than some are conceding, but he made Taliek look like a polished scorer. Getting 28% from Castle is going to be different than 28% from Andre because I assume it would be on a higher volume of shots, he'll be shooting contested shots, shots off of curls, off the bounce, and, beyond that, Castle can still beat guys off the dribble and pull up from the mid-range, can score at the rim, basically has an offensive package that bears no resemblance to what Andre brought to the table.
Agreed on all of it but Andre was a complete donut scoring wise, not offensively. I know that's what you meant.

Reaction Score
Agree #100%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom