Three Man Weave Twitter Preview Thread - #8 | The Boneyard

Three Man Weave Twitter Preview Thread - #8

Reaction Score

Picture since X media doesn't come through.
uconn3mw.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I agree with the point that our big ??? is the center position. 1-4 we have a couple of bodies at each position that we know have talent, basically.

When Clingan sits, what happens? Can Johnson or Singare hold down the fort? Or is it going to be a guaranteed 10-point run when our starter sits like a few years ago?

We aren't going to have a 1-2 punch like last year--that was an anomaly. But we need servicable. And we really know if servicable is sitting on the bench or not right now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When Clingan sits, what happens? Can Johnson or Singare hold down the fort? Or is it going to be a guaranteed 10-point run when our starter sits like a few years ago?
I wonder if we have periods playing small ball with Ross or Stewart getting some minutes. We still would have decent height. Tough to do against a traditional center though.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I agree with the point that our big ??? is the center position. 1-4 we have a couple of bodies at each position that we know have talent, basically.

We aren't going to have a 1-2 punch like last year--that was an anomaly. But we need servicable. And we really know if servicable is sitting on the bench or not right now.

Big question is a little harsh. Every team in the country has a drop-off when their starting center comes out. It seems a little bizarre that we're being punished for not having the same dominance that few teams in CBB history had from their center position.

Reaction Score
i have bigger preseason expectations for this year's team than i did for last year's team when i thought the goal was a sweet 16. there are not 7 teams better than us. maybe 3-4.

Reaction Score
Big question is a little harsh. Every team in the country has a drop-off when their starting center comes out. It seems a little bizarre that we're being punished for not having the same dominance that few teams in CBB history had from their center position.
We're not being punished. It's a reality.

A major reason we won the NC is because we had little to no drop off when the center comes out(2 All American Caliber Players). We no longer have that competitive advantage, and we will feel that during the season, especially in big east play.

However, I'm looking forward to being pleasantly surprised by Samson and Singare.

I think Samson will have some strong play as a stretch 5, just don't know how long we can compensate his weight differential in the paint.

Reaction Score
i know this year's team doesnt have the same ceiling as last year's but i have bigger preseason expectations for this year's team than i did last year's team. there are not 7 teams better than us.
Can you name the players who are going to replace Sanogo/Jackson/Hawkins?

I'm equally excited about this years team, but we are not as talented or battle tested this season. I bet we're a fringe top 15 team by season's end.

Reaction Score

I'm equally excited about this years team, but we are not as talented or battle tested this season. I bet we're a fringe top 15 team by season's end.
Clingan/Johnson/Castle/Spencer/Ball/Ross/Stewart

I'm not saying this team will turn out better than last year's, it wont, but it dont need to be to make another final 4 run.

there isnt a single team out there that should scare us. KU, Duke, and Purdue are the 3 favorites and they all got worse.

pj

Reaction Score

We're deeper in talent this year. The talent has to translate to the court, and the team has to build chemistry. It can't outperform last year's team, but it has a chance to match it.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We're not being punished. It's a reality.

A major reason we won the NC is because we had little to no drop off when the center comes out(2 All American Caliber Players). We no longer have that competitive advantage, and we will feel that during the season, especially in big east play.

However, I'm looking forward to being pleasantly surprised by Samson and Singare.

I think Samson will have some strong play as a stretch 5, just don't know how long we can compensate his weight differential in the paint.

I get that, but no team had that last year, and I still believe there's a great chance we win it all even if we didn't have Clingan.

I'm not saying we need to be ranked #1, but 8 is too low IMO. I think people are underrating how much talent we have. Hawkins was fantastic, but Spencer should be at a similar level this year. Sanogo was brilliant, but he wasn't an All-American; Clingan could very well be. Andre Jackson is irreplacable, but the player we replace him with is going to be a better shooter. Hell, we're projected to have two lottery picks. This team is going to be really, really good.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Clingan/Johnson/Castle/Spencer/Ball/Ross/Stewart

I'm not saying this team will turn out better than last year's, it wont, but it dont need to be to make another final 4 run.

there isnt a single team out there that should scare us. KU, Duke, and Purdue are the 3 favorites and they all got worse.

I mean it is literally impossible to turn out better than a national championship.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We’re not as good this year - it’s very hard to replace the three players we’re trying to replace.

I’m pretty much okay with any ranking in the top 10-15. We’re good enough to be in any conversation about the national championship.

Reaction Score
I mean it is literally impossible to turn out better than a national championship.
yes but even if this year's team won the chip, it just isnt as good as last year's team from an individual and collective talent perspective

Reaction Score
I get that, but no team had that last year, and I still believe there's a great chance we win it all even if we didn't have Clingan.

I'm not saying we need to be ranked #1, but 8 is too low IMO. I think people are underrating how much talent we have. Hawkins was fantastic, but Spencer should be at a similar level this year. Sanogo was brilliant, but he wasn't an All-American; Clingan could very well be. Andre Jackson is irreplacable, but the player we replace him with is going to be a better shooter. Hell, we're projected to have two lottery picks. This team is going to be really, really good.
Ironically, hawkins the lottery pick is the most replaceable player.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I actually think Clingan can turn out better than Sanogo, Cam can be more consistent than Hawkins, and there’s a lot of things Castle can do that Andre couldn’t.

And that’s no shade to them either as they were all obviously amazing players. Which makes this team so interesting because we may have a more well rounded and talented group of players this year coming off how talented last year was.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
We’re not as good this year - it’s very hard to replace the three players we’re trying to replace.

I’m pretty much okay with any ranking in the top 10-15. We’re good enough to be in any conversation about the national championship.
Last year our margin of victory in the tournament was +17. This year it could be +10 and we would still be a "worse" team.

Reactions: caw

caw

Reaction Score

May have a higher floor than last year though a lower ceiling. There were a lot of flaws BE coaches exploited last year at times. This team appears to be more well rounded individually.

Reaction Score
I think 5ish to 10ish is fair. Slightly because we will be easier to match up with when Clingan is out, and to a greater extent because other teams have reloaded pretty well. Johnson should have some movement advantages against other centers, but I worry when he has to play head to head vs Soriano, Dickinson, Kalkbrenner, etc if Clingan has foul trouble. Optimistically, maybe all the practice against Clingan already shows the staff he can do it. I did love the Europe rebounds he got out of his area with quickness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom