Three Man Weave Twitter Preview Thread - #8 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Three Man Weave Twitter Preview Thread - #8

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
40 minutes of Sanogo/Clingan was without a doubt a massive advantage. But I’m not so sure 28-30 minutes of Clingan won’t make up most of that ground. Being 80% of what we had at the position last year should be more than enough.

Reaction Score
These guys are my number one go to college BB podcast. No arguments with anything they said.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can you name the players who are going to replace Sanogo/Jackson/Hawkins?

I'm equally excited about this years team, but we are not as talented or battle tested this season. I bet we're a fringe top 15 team by season's end.
Donovan replaces Sanogo. So that means we just need to replace last year's version of Donovan. Samson/Singare should be enough to do that.

No one player is going to replace Jackson or Hawkins, but Castle's athleticism and scoring ability is certainly going to help a great deal. Tristan playing more 2 guard will also help with scoring as will, and improved sophomore Karaban and Cam Spencer.

We aren't going to look like we did last year, and I am certainly not going to say that replacing three NBA players is going to be easy, but we have talent and our additions are well-suited to play Hurleys preferred four out style.

CL82

Reaction Score
I mean it is literally impossible to turn out better than a national championship.
Particularly one that won every NCAA tournament game by double digits and all but one by 20 points or more.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Donovan replaces Sanogo. So that means we just need to replace last year's version of Donovan. Samson/Singare should be enough to do that.
I'd have to disagree. Samson/Singare might be serviceable/good as backups, but in no way will they rise to the level of Donovan last year. He had first round buzz as a backup center.

Reaction Score
I'd have to disagree. Samson/Singare might be serviceable/good as backups, but in no way will they rise to the level of Donovan last year. He had first round buzz as a backup center.
I agree in terms of buzz and NBA potential, but getting 7 points and 5 rebounds a game from Samson and Singare also doesn't seem that crazy to have happen. Granted it's only 2 games and not against good competition (Grambling and Stonehill), but the only 2 games Samson got 15+ minutes in he went for 5 points and 6 rebounds and then 7 and 3 respectively. So I could see us getting similar production from the backup 5's, just quieter production

CL82

Reaction Score
True. I was thinking more than the two of them combined replace his level of minutes (10 to 15 minutes a game) and production , which is admittedly more of a reach.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter how good we are in the early season (to a point) or even in the BE (to a point).

It matters if the team figures out how to play together over the season and is a beast in March.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter how good we are in the early season (to a point) or even in the BE (to a point).

It matters if the team figures out how to play together over the season and is a beast in March.
Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I'd like to play well in Jan/Feb too and win a conference regular season title for the first time in 17 years.

CL82

Reaction Score

"Lucky championships" are our specialty.

Reaction Score
When we ask whether this team is better than last year, i need to know if we are comparing it to last January's team or last March's team. Yes to the first and no to the second. The best thing is that this team doesnt have to play last year's team, just the other teams on our schedule.

CL82

Reaction Score
When we ask whether this team is better than last year, i need to know if we are comparing it to last January's team or last March's team. Yes to the first and no to the second. The best thing is that this team doesnt have to play last year's team, just the other teams on our schedule.
We have no idea if this year's team is going to be better in January or March. All we can do is look at the pieces and see how they fit Hurley's preferred style of play. I think the answer is pretty well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree with the point that our big ??? is the center position. 1-4 we have a couple of bodies at each position that we know have talent, basically.

When Clingan sits, what happens? Can Johnson or Singare hold down the fort? Or is it going to be a guaranteed 10-point run when our starter sits like a few years ago?

We aren't going to have a 1-2 punch like last year--that was an anomaly. But we need servicable. And we really know if servicable is sitting on the bench or not right now.
It was a big question last year. One that was answered quite clearly. I'm not worried about it. Johnson has the talent and athleticism to be not just serviceable, but way better than that. It's finally time.

I'm much more worried about the wing play and what we get from the freshmen there.

Reaction Score
40 minutes of Sanogo/Clingan was without a doubt a massive advantage. But I’m not so sure 28-30 minutes of Clingan won’t make up most of that ground. Being 80% of what we had at the position last year should be more than enough.
Clingan will be closer to 26 mpg than 30.

Another question I have -- which I haven't seen discussed many places -- is about Clingan's effectiveness being dependent on chemistry and rapport with guards feeding him for lobs. My recollection is that Clingan got the lion's share of his alley-oop dunks off of feeds from Jackson or Calcaterra. In the latter's case, that may be because they both came off the bench and their minutes often coincided.

But I would not take for granted that Clingan is going to have that same connection with Castle or Spencer. I'll be eager to see how that looks early on.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
It was a big question last year. One that was answered quite clearly. I'm not worried about it. Johnson has the talent and athleticism to be not just serviceable, but way better than that. It's finally time.

I'm much more worried about the wing play and what we get from the freshmen there.

Athleticism, sure. He hasn't proven he has the talent. Literally just hasn't played enough to know. Certainly hope he does, though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Athleticism, sure. He hasn't proven he has the talent. Literally just hasn't played enough to know. Certainly hope he does, though.
Sure, and Clingan hadn't played even a minute. There are always question marks in college basketball because there is so much turnover. We're relying on Castle and Ball and others who haven't played at all. A Junior backup 4-5 isn't the biggest question mark we have. Not even close.

Reaction Score
I played around with some pre-season rankings and returning minutes/used possessions.

Over the last 2 seasons, there were 4 teams that finished in KenPom's top 3 the year before, returned similar-to-us less than 50% of their usage, and yet were still ranked in the top 10 pre-season by AP going into the next year. All 4 got 1-seeds the next year.

Reaction Score
A Junior backup 4-5 isn't the biggest question mark we have.

Who is coming off of a lingering injury, hasn't played competitive basketball in years, and was a raw prospect to begin with. He's definitely one of our biggest question marks.

You've been riding his jock for years now, and the fact remains that he has yet to play meaningful minutes of college basketball.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting... While on paper we may have more talent, we need to replace two elite scorers at their position. Guys who were arguably the best shooter and big in the country. Then you add in Andre and the various things he does... While we have guys here to "replace" those three, I'm not sure any of them can replicate their production or the type of offense they brought to the table.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I'd like to play well in Jan/Feb too and win a conference regular season title for the first time in 17 years.
my wishes for this team, in order of priority, are to:
1) win the BET and/or BE regular season
3) make it to the elite 8

Reaction Score
Clingan/Johnson/Castle/Spencer/Ball/Ross/Stewart

I'm not saying this team will turn out better than last year's, it wont, but it dont need to be to make another final 4 run.

there isnt a single team out there that should scare us. KU, Duke, and Purdue are the 3 favorites and they all got worse.
Can I say this year's team is better? Yes. Castle is an upgrade over AJ offensively and is a great athlete himself. Our overall TEAM shooting is better because we no longer have 4 capable shooters at a given time. This year we will have 5. We have a clutch PG and I believe Samson will be the surprise here. And then there are 3 freshmen I believe will make an immediate impact aside from Castle. Am I calling a Natty? no. You have to get lucky too, with injuries, etc. Too early for that. But talent for talent, I love this year's team better.

Reaction Score
Can I say this year's team is better? Yes. Castle is an upgrade over AJ offensively and is a great athlete himself. Our overall TEAM shooting is better because we no longer have 4 capable shooters at a given time. This year we will have 5. We have a clutch PG and I believe Samson will be the surprise here. And then there are 3 freshmen I believe will make an immediate impact aside from Castle. Am I calling a Natty? no. You have to get lucky too, with injuries, etc. Too early for that. But talent for talent, I love this year's team better.
I think on paper this team is better offensively, which is a bit blasphemous considering last year's team finished #3 in offensive efficiency, and the adjusted figure was the best mark in our KenPom-era team history (since '97). And it was the best by far (like 3 points per 100 pos over '04 and '06, which is generally the difference between an okay offense and a good offense like 2013 to 2014).

So everything is telling me 1) regression, especially shooting and 2) I'm underrating last season.

But man. The more I look at this team, the more I love it on paper.

The only thing that gives me pause is that while Castle is going to be awesome, he may process the game a little slower than Jackson. Jackson got himself in trouble at times by doing things too fast, but his immediate unselfish play set the tone for the team.

That and we have a bunch of scorers and shooters, but do we have the guys who will get the tough out-of-area rebound due to sheer hustle/will?

Reaction Score
I think 5ish to 10ish is fair. Slightly because we will be easier to match up with when Clingan is out, and to a greater extent because other teams have reloaded pretty well. Johnson should have some movement advantages against other centers, but I worry when he has to play head to head vs Soriano, Dickinson, Kalkbrenner, etc if Clingan has foul trouble. Optimistically, maybe all the practice against Clingan already shows the staff he can do it. I did love the Europe rebounds he got out of his area with quickness.
I’m thinking 1ish

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom