Things one wants to say to Sir Charles | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Things one wants to say to Sir Charles

Reaction Score
Barkley is fine. He's an entertainer. He's there as a sideshow curmudgeon "analyst" who counterbalances dullness and he has to maintain that brand by catering to lowest common denominator audiences who mainly care about grandaddy blue bloods, football brand schools, or trendy up-and-coming teams. As much as UConn has accomplished in the last 25 years, they are still not a national brand. Outside of the northeast region they are just some school that keeps coming up with national basketball titles and whose football program has never accomplished anything outside of the occasional no-name bowl game.

As such Barkley won't even consider or talk about UConn until he absolutely has to.

Reaction Score
I always enjoy Charles, for his entertainment factor, not his college hoops insights
I've been a Chuck fan since the Dream Team in 1992. Out all night partying with the fans, and tossing drunks through windows just seemed to fit his playing style too. Sometimes he's very insightful, but mostly he's just comic relief. I'd love to play a round of golf and drink beer with him.

Reaction Score
Yes he’s entertaining, but doesn’t know dukie about college bb.

Evidenced by (at halftime in the Garden sic) “Michigan State is going to blow UConn out in 2nd half.”

I use to have the YouTube with this, but Tito’s clogs the brain.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It’s his history of picking against us
Who freaking cares….
And that has a negative impact on what besides maybe hurt your feelings?

Reaction Score
I was psyched when Barkley picked, enthusiastically picked Zags to win right before the game. According to him, we were playing great but they were a great team - better than us.
At least man up at end of game instead of whining about 1 foul call.

He is always thanking CBS/TNT for getting paid to do this every year. But watching him at end of Creighton Game / San Diego State - he had nothing to say but whine about call. How about doing your job?

Don’t want the game to be decided by the refs? here’s an idea… don’t foul!

No one said it in broadcast but that was a bad play by the Creighton player.

Reaction Score
Are there really still people who get mad over Barkley’s comments?

I enjoy his NBA analysis and find him hilarious, but even he doesn’t take his own college basketball takes seriously. I can’t imagine getting mad about his college hoops opinions.
Yes it's actually silly, he is a great dude and if Uconn wins in Houston you can bet Charles will be buying for the fans again.

Reaction Score
You guys are weird.

Charles Barkley is not holding some secret grudge against us.

We were a two point favorite yesterday….picking Gonzaga was not exactly a declaration of war.
He adds nothing as an “analyst” is my point. If you want to put a clown in that seat, then just go for Bozo. Don’t throw a guy in there who played the game for years and try passing him off as being credible when all he is is a clown and clearly all he is there for his entertainment value. It’s insulting to fans and makes them look like idiots.

That said, we have to deal with Lily and her “insights” too so I guess that ship has sailed.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It’s his history of picking against us

Ah.

So? You‘re taking offense because someone is not predicting that your team will win often enough? Are you a child?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He adds nothing as an “analyst” is my point. If you want to put a clown in that seat, then just go for Bozo. Don’t throw a guy in there who played the game for years and try passing him off as being credible when all he is is a clown and clearly all he is there for his entertainment value. It’s insulting to fans and makes them look like idiots.

That said, we have to deal with Lily and her “insights” too so I guess that ship has sailed.

He’s better there than you are here.

Also, Lilly is a national treasure/

Reaction Score
If one of our resident nerds could comb the archives and put together a list of people, organizations, states, foods, etc that we have argued have a grudge against UConn over the years I bet it would be a hilarious read.

Reaction Score
Ah.

So? You‘re taking offense because someone is not predicting that your team will win often enough? Are you a child?
Come on now, you have to pick on a longtime UConn fan? It’s his history of “never” picking us. I remember 2014 very well.

Reaction Score
Barkley is not a college hoops expert. But he's sitting at a desk with 3 others that are. He's there for his sometime brutal and often entertaining honesy, saying what others won't. His rant on politicians getting involved with NILs was tremendous. His not being afraid to be bold and at the same time wrong is refreshing.

Reaction Score
Charles daughter graduated from Villanova and he played in Philly. I'm pretty sure he's a Nova fan. That would explain his rooting against UConn. However I still like Charles.
I get it. Fishy? “suggested” some thought he had a grudge against UConn. Nobody said that!!

Reaction Score
You guys are weird.

Charles Barkley is not holding some secret grudge against us.

We were a two point favorite yesterday….picking Gonzaga was not exactly a declaration of war.
Except the whole time before the pre-game he was nothing but praising like we were the second coming of Lew Alcindor/Kareem and the UCLA teams. Then the pre-game show comes and hom and the others picked Gonzaga. What changed since Arkansas?

Reaction Score
Really blows my mind that on the after show last night they chirped about Timme’s 3rd & 4th fouls and how unfair it was for the first 2 min of the broadcast. No respect for Uconn!
Yup. And they both totally ignored the fact that the Zags were already down 12 at that point and Timme had been pretty ineffective to that point. He couldve played 40 minutes last night and it wouldve made no difference.

Reaction Score
Yup. And they both totally ignored the fact that the Zags were already down 12 at that point and Timme had been pretty ineffective to that point. He couldve played 40 minutes last night and it wouldve made no difference.

Can someone remind me of how his 3rd and 4th weren’t his 4th and 5th foul? I mean first play of the game was his first and the ref below the basket absolutely ignored it. Alley oop to AJ he walked right under him and nothing was called.

Timme only flexed once ‘nuff said!

Reaction Score
I love Charles and I hope he picks against us every time. They brought Jay Wright to the main round table for his analysis and he couldn’t even get a word in, Ernie had shout him out to get him to talk.

Reaction Score
Can someone remind me of how his 3rd and 4th weren’t his 4th and 5th foul? I mean first play of the game was his first and the ref below the basket absolutely ignored it. Alley oop to AJ he walked right under him and nothing was called.

Timme only flexed once ‘nuff said!
I agree 100% with this and I even believe he fouled Sanogo one other time before the he picked up his first. Not to mention fouls 3 and 4 were clear-cut.

Reaction Score
Charles insisted that both Gonzaga and Arkansas were “grown men” to do battle with us who he included in that description. I’m quite sure he’ll be saying Miami is something we never faced before next Saturday. Let’s go back to this entire group’s pre NCAA tourney broadcast. You wanna hear something funny? They were all WRONG.
Yup, these basketball expert, analyst God‘s opinions were no better than some bum on a street corner who you would ask “who ya think is gonna make the Final Four”? And both answers were “Alabama” or “Purdue”!
They are entertaining individuals with a great gig, making commercials and pulling down big bucks but……they don’t know what’s gonna happen any more than anyone else.

Reaction Score
I think Barkley is very entertaining and also very genuine. The 60 Minutes piece on him last night was very good. He's a refreshing and I think a much needed voice in sports and I think even beyond sports.

As for whether he's a UCONN supporter or not.......I could give a rat's........

Reaction Score
Chuck is there to be the comedic relief. It’s a nice break from the rest of the talking heads. Just appreciate him for that and realize he probably doesn’t watch a second of college bball the rest of the year and you shouldn’t take his opinions seriously.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom