The View From Section 241 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Reaction Score
Or make just Rosa a quarterback again, since he couldn’t get a carry in Saturday’s game?

(I kid, I kid)

That’s what I was implying except I wasn’t joking.

It would sort of be like when Darius Butler was our emergency QB for a bit.

Reaction Score
There is no question but that, in the first game of the Mora era, there was a lot to like. We came out and punched a team that finished last year ranked in the mouth on their home field. And then, after losing our QB and our top returning offensive player, dealing with heat and altitude, a hostile environment, and some absurd looking calls (the non-pass interference when our wideout was literally tackled on a long ball and the key 4th quarter call on us that was absolutely not a penalty), we were in the game for 55 minutes. We fought, we didn’t give up when we got run over in the 2d Q, and we kept at it. All good things. A lot has been said already, and the TV coverage was such that I don’t have a lot of depth to add, but my thoughts are as follows.

The running game was unbelievably strong. Whether it’s improvement in Carter, improvement in run blocking or the schemes/plays, too early to tell, but wow were we impressive until they loaded the box. Carter wasn’t top of the depth chart and there was a mention he was limited in camp. I wonder if that’s why he only got 20 carries instead of just being run again and again and again. Passing game was abysmal. Just abysmal. Chase Lundt and anyone who relieved him were overrun constantly, Turner didn’t look like he was anywhere near ready and we’ve lost our two best WRs. Ugh. To be fair to everyone, we have no idea if Roberson was or was not clearly ahead of where Turner is. He didn’t run enough plays that we would know. But in a game where you lose your QB in the second series and then your top WR, I’m not going to even begin to criticize the coaches on personnel and schemes. Let’s give Charlton a few games before fair minded people think they know enough to do that. Bottom line — if we can develope just a competent passing game we could be good offensively, but I’m concerned whether we have the talent yet to do that.

Defense was outstanding to start, got overrun in the 2d Q and then was really really solid in the second half. I got criticized for saying it looked to me like USU took their foot off the gas in the second half, and was willing to play conservatively on O until we cut it to 4, but I still think that might have happened. But we’ll see. Overall, on the road against a good, experienced team with everything happening around them, it was a solid effort. But note that, in a solid effort, we gave up 31 points and a boatload of total yards. So some good things, to be sure, but I’m not totally sold. Mitchell was a God. Didn’t see Bembry make as many plays as I was expecting/hoping. And still no hint of a pass rush, and we clearly don’t have the talent at DB to cover folks without a pass rush. So solid effort but will our D be good? Jury out

Congrats to the walk on kicker from Hall for a fabulous performance (not just the FGs but no returns allowed on 5 KOs) and I thought special teams as a whole — punting, kick returning and coverages — were reallly good. But can we please catch a punt? Even if we go Sanchez and just fair catch them all?

So I wasn’t optimistic coming into the year. A lot of good yesterday, but with all the injuries I’m not as bullish as some that there is going to be a huge improvement this year in terms of wins. But the staff gets good grades for coming in prepared and turning attitudes around, and if they can recruit adequate talent to a team without a conference in Storrs, CT, we could get better. While I was far from being on the bandwagon, I’m also not going to be criticizing if we start 1-5 with a few blow outs. This was a good start. Let’s keep building, even if the injuries make it hard to win as many games as we’d like.
You forgot the other atrocious call of allowing USU to run out-of-bounds for about 10 yards and then come back in to make a catch.

Reaction Score
You forgot the other atrocious call of allowing USU to run out-of-bounds for about 10 yards and then come back in to make a catch.

Didn't forget it -- I don't think that was nearly as atrocious. Not even sure if it was incorrect. He was clearly shoved out of bounds. I know the rule is you're supposed to then come back in promptly, but I don't know that's he's required to put on the brakes, make a right angle reentry and then run his pattern either. Hardly an expert but I think there is a lot of judgment in terms of how quickly you have to come back in.

Reaction Score
Didn't forget it -- I don't think that was nearly as atrocious. Not even sure if it was incorrect. He was clearly shoved out of bounds. I know the rule is you're supposed to then come back in promptly, but I don't know that's he's required to put on the brakes, make a right angle reentry and then run his pattern either. Hardly an expert but I think there is a lot of judgment in terms of how quickly you have to come back in.
Exactly... judgement. If the EXACT same thing happened to us, it was a call. It was a 1 hand push.

Reaction Score
Exactly... judgement. If the EXACT same thing happened to us, it was a call. It was a 1 hand push.

I thought the refs were very one sided against us. But you can't assume they would make (or not make) a call on a play that never happened. Their receiver was clearly pushed out. The time we had an illegal touch our TE wandered out of bounds on his own for no apparent reason. Neither of those are on the refs.

Reaction Score
Wonder what happened to Drena? There are a few players on the roster who played Quarterback in HS, including Rosa and Kevin Dunn from Berlin. Not saying they should be considered for QB, but at least they have some HS QB experience god forbid we need to go to a 5th or 6th string QB. I'm sure Mora has a couple of the more athletic guys filed in the back of his head for QB in an emergency situation.

Reaction Score
I thought the refs were very one sided against us. But you can't assume they would make (or not make) a call on a play that never happened. Their receiver was clearly pushed out. The time we had an illegal touch our TE wandered out of bounds on his own for no apparent reason. Neither of those are on the refs.
Apples and oranges on the 2 situations. Their receiver clearly abused the discretion of the refs by taking so long to return in bounds. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it. Appreciate your 241 as always though.

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges on the 2 situations. Their receiver clearly abused the discretion of the refs by taking so long to return in bounds. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it. Appreciate your 241 as always though.

To be clear, you may be right that the better call would have been to disallow the catch. But I don't find that to be absurd, like not flagging a DB for ankle tackling a WR from behind because you're guessing whether he would have gotten to the ball, or the PI call where the DB was clearly playing the ball on an underthrown pass.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To be clear, you may be right that the better call would have been to disallow the catch. But I don't find that to be absurd, like not flagging a DB for ankle tackling a WR from behind because you're guessing whether he would have gotten to the ball, or the PI call where the DB was clearly playing the ball on an underthrown pass.
When the announcers said the refs determined that he couldn’t have reached the ball I was thinking “yeah, because he got tackled.”

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that this is part of USU's plan. On the play being discussed, not only did the WR not immediately attempt to get back in bounds, he drifted a bit further from the sideline over the first few yards where he continued his route. There were a few other plays later in the game where their WR did something similar (but did not get a reception). It looked to me like it was planned where they remain out of bounds (if pushed) for a number of yards to make it easier to get open.

Reaction Score
I do wish Krajewski stayed. He’d have been worlds better with this staff. I understand moving on was part of a shift to the new guard, but I’d have liked to keep him. All we had to do to keep him in the fold was give him a fair shot at #1. He was entrenched here in so many ways. Girlfriend, charities etc. Steven Krajewski was a Husky.

Reaction Score
Oh, I totally agreed on those already.

Reaction Score
I do wish Krajewski stayed. He’d have been worlds better with this staff. I understand moving on was part of a shift to the new guard, but I’d have liked to keep him. All we had to do to keep him in the fold was give him a fair shot at #1. He was entrenched here in so many ways. Girlfriend, charities etc. Steven Krajewski was a Husky.
What makes you think he wasn't given a fair shot?

Reaction Score
What makes you think he wasn't given a fair shot?
I don’t think they wanted him. He’s been gone for a long time. He didn’t leave last week. After spring practices, he left, presumably because he was told they would go in a different direction. I’m not saying it wasn’t fair, just that I wish we hung on to him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don’t think they wanted him. He’s been gone for a long time. He didn’t leave last week. After spring practices, he left, presumably because he was told they would go in a different direction. I’m not saying it wasn’t fair, just that I wish we hung on to him.

He left because Roberson beat him out in spring practice and he wanted a place he could play.

Players transfer.

Reaction Score
He left because Roberson beat him out in spring practice and he wanted a place he could play.

Players transfer.
Exactly. I have no problem with it. I just wish we still had him. I think he’d be much better this year. Maybe they did try to keep him. Idk.

Reaction Score
Nice review @businesslawyer .... but I think our DBs are decent enough to cover....when you have no pass rush, like we didn't have all day Saturday, even the best DBs in the business will look bad. Gotta rattle tge QB more consistently back there.

Reaction Score
Nice review @businesslawyer .... but I think our DBs are decent enough to cover....when you have no pass rush, like we didn't have all day Saturday, even the best DBs in the business will look bad. Gotta rattle tge QB more consistently back there.

That absolutely could be right. It was one game under an entirely new staff and circumstances. We got hints yesterday. To really have a feel for who and what we are, we’ll no more after Central and Syracuse.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Lack of pass rush makes it tough on DB's.

Overall I thought they played okay.

Only one play where it looked like Bell and the other DB got mixed on coverage and Bell dropped back 10 yards off the receiver for an easy catch. I think that play was a blown coverage more than a crappy defensive call, a DB misreading the WR's route or plain old hesitant coverage by Bell.

Reaction Score

Players transfer.
More than ever. The days of recruiting and development have been greatly diminished. Rosters are year to year and they have to recruit players to stay.

Reaction Score
Lack of pass rush makes it tough on DB's.

Overall I thought they played okay.

Only one play where it looked like Bell and the other DB got mixed on coverage and Bell dropped back 10 yards off the receiver for an easy catch. I think that play was a blown coverage more than a crappy defensive call, a DB misreading the WR's route or plain old hesitant coverage by Bell.

stuff like this too. tunnel screen to the slot. Stop it after the play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom