The View From Section 241 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Reaction Score
There is no question but that, in the first game of the Mora era, there was a lot to like. We came out and punched a team that finished last year ranked in the mouth on their home field. And then, after losing our QB and our top returning offensive player, dealing with heat and altitude, a hostile environment, and some absurd looking calls (the non-pass interference when our wideout was literally tackled on a long ball and the key 4th quarter call on us that was absolutely not a penalty), we were in the game for 55 minutes. We fought, we didn’t give up when we got run over in the 2d Q, and we kept at it. All good things. A lot has been said already, and the TV coverage was such that I don’t have a lot of depth to add, but my thoughts are as follows.

The running game was unbelievably strong. Whether it’s improvement in Carter, improvement in run blocking or the schemes/plays, too early to tell, but wow were we impressive until they loaded the box. Carter wasn’t top of the depth chart and there was a mention he was limited in camp. I wonder if that’s why he only got 20 carries instead of just being run again and again and again. Passing game was abysmal. Just abysmal. Chase Lundt and anyone who relieved him were overrun constantly, Turner didn’t look like he was anywhere near ready and we’ve lost our two best WRs. Ugh. To be fair to everyone, we have no idea if Roberson was or was not clearly ahead of where Turner is. He didn’t run enough plays that we would know. But in a game where you lose your QB in the second series and then your top WR, I’m not going to even begin to criticize the coaches on personnel and schemes. Let’s give Charlton a few games before fair minded people think they know enough to do that. Bottom line — if we can develope just a competent passing game we could be good offensively, but I’m concerned whether we have the talent yet to do that.

Defense was outstanding to start, got overrun in the 2d Q and then was really really solid in the second half. I got criticized for saying it looked to me like USU took their foot off the gas in the second half, and was willing to play conservatively on O until we cut it to 4, but I still think that might have happened. But we’ll see. Overall, on the road against a good, experienced team with everything happening around them, it was a solid effort. But note that, in a solid effort, we gave up 31 points and a boatload of total yards. So some good things, to be sure, but I’m not totally sold. Mitchell was a God. Didn’t see Bembry make as many plays as I was expecting/hoping. And still no hint of a pass rush, and we clearly don’t have the talent at DB to cover folks without a pass rush. So solid effort but will our D be good? Jury out

Congrats to the walk on kicker from Hall for a fabulous performance (not just the FGs but no returns allowed on 5 KOs) and I thought special teams as a whole — punting, kick returning and coverages — were reallly good. But can we please catch a punt? Even if we go Sanchez and just fair catch them all?

So I wasn’t optimistic coming into the year. A lot of good yesterday, but with all the injuries I’m not as bullish as some that there is going to be a huge improvement this year in terms of wins. But the staff gets good grades for coming in prepared and turning attitudes around, and if they can recruit adequate talent to a team without a conference in Storrs, CT, we could get better. While I was far from being on the bandwagon, I’m also not going to be criticizing if we start 1-5 with a few blow outs. This was a good start. Let’s keep building, even if the injuries make it hard to win as many games as we’d like.

Last edited:

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I agree. My take away points are similar:
  • This is the best coaching staff in a decade or so
  • The players looked strong, confident, and hungry
  • Injuries suck
  • We have work to do, but we are going to win more games this season than we have in a long time

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Really only had one special team SNAFU.

Near end of 1st half when UConn punted, the punter had his worst punt of the game. Really needed a good punt to make them go 40+ yards to get in FG range. He puckered up and shanked it.

Reaction Score
There is not question but that, in the first game of the Mora era, there was a lot to like. We came out and punched a team that finished last year ranked in the mouth on their home field. And then, after losing our QB and our top returning offensive player, dealing with heat and altitude, a hostile environment, and some absurd looking calls (the non-pass interference when our wideout was literally tackled on a long ball and the key 4th quarter call on us that was absolutely not a penalty), we were in the game for 55 minutes. We fought, we didn’t give up when we got run over in the 2d Q, and we kept at it. All good things. A lot has been said already, and the TV coverage was such that I don’t have a lot of depth to add, but my thoughts are as follows.

The running game was unbelievably strong. Whether it’s improvement in Carter, improvement in run blocking or the schemes/plays, too early to tell, but wow were we impressive until they loaded the box. Carter wasn’t top of the depth chart and there was a mention he was limited in camp. I wonder if that’s why he only got 20 carries instead of just being run again and again and again. Passing game was abysmal. Just abysmal. Chase Lundt and anyone who relieved him were overrun constantly, Turner didn’t look like he was anywhere near ready and we’ve lost our two best WRs. Ugh. To be fair to everyone, we have no idea if Roberson was or was not clearly ahead of where Turner is. He didn’t run enough plays that we would know. But in a game where you lose your QB in the second series and then your top WR, I’m not going to even begin to criticize the coaches on personnel and schemes. Let’s give Charlton a few games before fair minded people think they know enough to do that. Bottom line — if we can developer just a competent passing game we could be good offensively, but I’m concerned whether we have the talent yet to do that.

Defense was outstanding to start, got overrun in the 2d Q and then was really really solid in the second half. I got criticized for saying it looked to me like USU took their foot off the gas in the second half, and was willing to play conservatively on O until we cut it to 4, but I still think that might have happened. But we’ll see. Overall, on the road against a good, experienced team with everything happening around them, it was a solid effort. But note that, in a solid effort, we gave up 31 points and a boatload of total yards. So some good things, to be sure, but I’m not totally sold. Mitchell was a God. Didn’t see Bembry make as many plays as I was expecting/hoping. And still no hint of a pass rush, and we clearly don’t have the talent at DB to cover folks without a pass rush. So solid effort but will our D be good? Jury out

Congrats to the walk on kicker from Hall for a fabulous performance (not just the FGs but no returns allowed on 5 KOs) and I thought special teams as a whole — punting, kick returning and coverages — were reallly good. But can we please catch a punt? Even if we go Sanches and just fair catch them all?

So I wasn’t optimistic coming into the year. A lot of good yesterday, but with all the injuries I’m not as bullish as some that there is going to be a huge improvement this year in terms of wins. But the staff gets good grades for coming in prepared and turning attitudes around, and if they can recruit adequate talent to a team without a conference in Storrs, CT, we could get better. While I was far from being on the bandwagon, I’m also not going to be criticizing if we start 1-5 with a few blow outs. This was a good start. Let’s keep building, even if the injuries make it hard to win as many games as we’d like.
I thought the same thing about Bembry, thought he would have been more active, but it’s just one game. For a true freshman, I liked what ZT showed me, yes he made some mistakes but he didn’t hesitate in throwing a TD. I’m hopeful his confidence will grow throughout the season. Millen impressed me with his running ability, hope to see more of him as well. We need a WR, Puma? I would give the coaching staff an A+ with what they had to work with. I wouldn’t poo poo the notion that this game was held at 5000ft. of elevation either. I’m more convinced now that UConn comes away with at least 4 wins this season and possibly 5.

Reaction Score
We need a WR, Puma?

Seriously? We have 3 QB's remaining, we're not converting one to a WR. Please stop with this, (no offense to you) dumb idea that keeps getting floated around this board. It was dumb when we had 5 QB's but now.... Lets convert Millen to a TE while were at it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seriously? We have 3 QB's remaining, we're not converting one to a WR. Please stop with this, (no offense to you) dumb idea that keeps getting floated around this board. It was dumb when we had 5 QB's but now.... Lets convert Millen to a TE while were at it.
The team had a lot of WRs. I would think Rosa or one of the other quick RBs would be more appropriate if needed

Reaction Score
Coming off an ACL repair, I doubt it, and that would leave us with 2 QBs. When he gets healthy he is going to take snaps for us this year.
From what I saw of him before the injury, his greatest asset is his running ability with the ball and his speed, not his passing ability (which though is not too shabby either). I can see him being both, kind of a smaller version of J Rose. He’d be great on trick plays, or just bringing him in to make the defense adjust for a trick play.

Reaction Score
My fear is that we don't have 3 QBs remaining -- we have two and one with experience who isn't ready to play in a competitive game, and may not be this year.

Reaction Score
My fear is that we don't have 3 QBs remaining -- we have two and one with experience who isn't ready to play in a competitive game, and may not be this year.

I understand they were wearing red jerseys, but Tyler Phommachanh did practice. He may not be ready this week, but we shall see what happens in the next few weeks. I don‘t want him playing if there is an elevated risk.

Reaction Score

The first Friday practice Mora singled out PUMA for his performance. If I remember correctly he said "now I understand why everyone was so excited" (about PUMA) he also was listed as an "or" on the depth chart. If he can't play they have done a great job concealing it. I do agree there is always concern about bringing someone back too soon and that is probably where they are at.

Reaction Score
The first Friday practice Mora singled out PUMA for his performance. If I remember correctly he said "now I understand why everyone was so excited" (about PUMA) he also was listed as an "or" on the depth chart. If he can't play they have done a great job concealing it. I do agree there is always concern about bringing someone back too soon and that is probably where they are at.
he said he understood why he started. Dont think he used exited.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Rosa and Tyler P are potential electric and I hope they get a chance.
Looking forward to Syracuse after a win vs CCSU.
Will try to get to my first game in 5 years at 85 and recovering from cancer.
one day at a time. like the rest of us, some will be good ones, and some will be bad ones. twas ever thus.

Reaction Score
Playing Fruit, Michigan, NCS and FS will be quite a bunch of physical games. Going to need the 2/3 deep at all positions, including QB. CM and Tyler Phommachanh (if physically ok) need to be ready to go in (would give them some playing time against CCSU).

If remember correctly, one year of HCREDreamJob1.0 at Maryland had very bad luck and went through 4 or so QB's. College football is a tough sport.

Couldn't find the walk on QB on the roster list, who is the "4th" guy after CM&Tyler Phommachanh?

Reaction Score
Playing Fruit, Michigan, NCS and FS will be quite a bunch of physical games. Going to need the 2/3 deep at all positions, including QB. CM and Tyler Phommachanh (if physically ok) need to be ready to go in (would give them some playing time against CCSU).

If remember correctly, one year of HCREDreamJob1.0 at Maryland had very bad luck and went through 4 or so QB's. College football is a tough sport.

Couldn't find the walk on QB on the roster list, who is the "4th" guy after CM&Tyler Phommachanh?

There isn’t one that we are aware of. Drena is no longer on the roster.

Reaction Score
In response to the OP.

It's hard NOT to believe that Roberson would have played better than ZT. First, the coaches thought he was better, they choose him. He got the most practice reps with the first team. He looked a hell of a lot more comfortable in Utah than Zion. And TR was able to throw a catchable pass into the flat which ZT struggled to do. TZ couldn't make that throw. At least twice he missed open receivers coming out of the backfield. I thought ZT was behind what we saw from Puma last year.

Agree, the defense was pretty effective. And agree, the lack of a pass rush is a huge concern. It looks like the Huskies are playing a soft zone in the secondary, but with little pressure to get the ball out it will easy find the open guy.

Gonna have to take it as it comes.

Reaction Score
The first Friday practice Mora singled out PUMA for his performance. If I remember correctly he said "now I understand why everyone was so excited" (about PUMA) he also was listed as an "or" on the depth chart.
The next day Mora stated that Tyler Phommachanh was sore and perhaps went too hard too soon. Ultimately it sounds a lot like there is still an absence of confidence on his recovery in Tyler Phommachanh’s mind. If you’re not confident in yourself physically it’s hard to perform at your maximum capacity.

Some quotes from mid-August

Tyler Phommachanh himself said:
“Got some things going on here and there but, got to stick to it,” Phommachanh said. “I’m not limited. I don’t know if I’m 100 (percent). My knee still gets a little stiff.

Mora said:
“Tough situation and it hasn’t been that long, so I don’t know if he has true confidence in it yet,” Mora said. “I know this: I love his work ethic and I love his personality. He’s a wonderful person. He’s so likable. He’s a great teammate. I think everybody is cheering for him. But I think it’s obvious to everyone that he’s not 100 percent yet.

“His knee is probably 100 percent healthy but in terms of being back to who he was, like true confidence, I don’t know how he could be. Every player I have ever been around who hurt himself like he did in a serious way, there’s a mental barrier that you have to get over and move through. It’s just a natural part of the progression.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It we lose anymore QBs we might have to install a wildcat emergency offense.
Or make just Rosa a quarterback again, since he couldn’t get a carry in Saturday’s game?

(I kid, I kid)

Reaction Score
Or make just Rosa a quarterback again, since he couldn’t get a carry in Saturday’s game?

(I kid, I kid)
Why kid? What other realistic options are there besides Rosa? They need to convert someone to QB or pick another one up if that is still allowed.

It didn't take long for us to miss Krajewski. I was looking forward to what he could do in Charlton's offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It happens. Turner got thrown in the fire and managed to offense well enough for a true freshman to show there is only up to look forward to with him. He will get more comfortable and be able to make more throws which helps Carter go off hopefully just as much every game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom