The View From Section 241 (UMass) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 (UMass)

Reaction Score
Criticism of ZT is premature in my opinion. He’s a true fresh and has good control of the offense. The game plan is clearly designed to limit mistakes. As for UMass, we didn’t need to throw the ball more than we did, so there was no way the coaching staff was going to risk TOs.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
BL, You always do a great job with these. Just got to say I really agree with your entire summary of this game, particularly how it hinged on a few plays and the lack of energy in the first 1/2 (BC hangover). I also agree about ZT, toughness and leadership are demonstrated, but this program cant be thinking there won’t be a QB competition next august. He has done well as a true freshman, but more will be needed in future seasons. He will need to grow some. His youth and the the WR corp woes give him a pass on the passing game for 2022.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It's totally appropriate, albeit a tad distracting, to have a conversation about what roster improvements we might see for next year. I just don't get the people who think, 10 weeks in, that we should be making radical changes in scheme or personnel. The "where's Puma?" crowd is wearing me out.

Reaction Score
Don looks so much older than when he was DC here, I know he is older, but he looks worn out.

Just finished the replay and it was an ugly game but an ugly game where we win by 17 would have been unthinkable a year ago. An ugly last year against this same opponent was a 2 touchdown loss literally.

Zion Turner, the good is he doesn't turn the ball over which is great for a true freshman. The bad, he doesn't pull the trigger fast enough when guys are open sometimes. On one play he had Aaron Turner wide open streaking across the field and instead pulled it down and took a big hit. Hopefully as gets comfortable seeing college defenses that gets better in future years. There is just a slight hesitancy from him pulling the trigger.
Maybe from him having to be responsible for both sides of the ball. I’m no lip reader but it appeared to me that Mora said more than “great job” at the handshake. Maybe “I have an opening for DC” Lol.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Maybe from him having to be responsible for both sides of the ball. I’m no lip reader but it appeared to me that Mora said more than “great job” at the handshake. Maybe “I have an opening for DC” Lol.
Honestly....I prefer what I have seen from Mora's defense over what a Brown defense looks like.

Reaction Score
Honestly....I prefer what I have seen from Mora's defense over what a Brown defense looks like.
You could very well be right, no argument there. Just looking at it from the perspective of him being a respected former UConn coach.

Reaction Score
Don looks so much older than when he was DC here, I know he is older, but he looks worn out.

Just finished the replay and it was an ugly game but an ugly game where we win by 17 would have been unthinkable a year ago. An ugly last year against this same opponent was a 2 touchdown loss literally.

Zion Turner, the good is he doesn't turn the ball over which is great for a true freshman. The bad, he doesn't pull the trigger fast enough when guys are open sometimes. On one play he had Aaron Turner wide open streaking across the field and instead pulled it down and took a big hit. Hopefully as gets comfortable seeing college defenses that gets better in future years. There is just a slight hesitancy from him pulling the trigger.

57 to 67 is a lot older. Some people have boundless energy at 67 but not everyone.

Reaction Score
Didn't know he was 67. That's getting up there.

My dad didn't make it to 67 - so for some reason I always expect to not be around by then. But then I see all of these super old football coaches and figure that I can hang around for a bit :)

Reaction Score
I agree with the analysis. He’s a true freshman. Not being quite up to speed is hardly unusual.

If we’re talking about the future, I neither count ZT out as the QB of the future nor assume he’s going to start the next three years. He’ll have to improve and we’ll have to see. But we can have that debate two weeks from tomorrow. For now, we have to just improve within the context of who we are.
I hate to quibble with the author of a weekly piece we all look forward to reading, but …..

That debate will begin in 6 weeks, not 2 - after we return from our bowl game!!!!

Reaction Score
I hate to quibble with the author of a weekly piece we all look forward to reading, but …..

That debate will begin in 6 weeks, not 2 - after we return from our bowl game!!!!

That’s a fair, and good, quibble!!!

Reaction Score
My dad didn't make it to 67 - so for some reason I always expect to not be around by then. But then I see all of these super old football coaches and figure that I can hang around for a bit :)
Start coaching! Must be the fountain of youth. For some of these guys they don't last long once they stop coaching. Paterno and Bill Stewart come to mind.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with this take. We had a Top 10 defense nationally with Don Brown.
I loved watching Brown's defenses. as they are very aggressive. But, he takes a lot of risk leaving the defense open to the big play. Also, I think Harbaugh at Michigan ended up not being enamored by the defense and decided to let Brown go after the COVID season in which the defense was average.

At Michigan, Brown's defenses dominated the weaker opponents, but struggled against top 25 teams. Michigan did not beat Ohio State during his tenure as DC and Ohio State scored 56 in 2019, 62 in 2018, 31 in 2017, and 30 (2 OT) in 2016.

Reaction Score
Mac Jones is putting up numbers like Zion. That makes me feel better about our situation.

Reaction Score
Why does Joly come off the field? I will never understand it. He blocks and we have no one that catches like him. He has breakaway speed. I do not want him getting heavier and playing TE. Also why with Cam Ross returning for his first scrimmage play after the short punt he could not field, did we line him up as a back out wide, put him in motion back towards the QB, then as he gets close to Zion, have to stop and reverse his field as we ran some sort of QB run option nonsense. It was a coaching screwup and Cam ran off the field with a limp as he stressed his foot stopping and reversing. Send him down the field and let him get comfortable in a real game. See how UMass covers him. Then give him a throw or 2. That ticked me off. Zion missed the long throw on the post to the student section. It is as simple as that. When Zion runs which is not enough on the RPO he needs to get up to top speed faster and the protect his body when defenders close. We should be running more plays with Zion under center.

Reaction Score
As I said, just because we’re playing with house money doesn’t mean I’m not desperate for the players to be rewarded for their effort this season.. GO HUSKIES!
But that having been said, for the players who’ve been with the program for a while, I will pray for them that we can get to 6 and they get the reward of going bowling. They deserve it.
Badda bing badda boom!!!
We don’t win pretty but it’s a helluva lot better than we’ve had to endure.
See reply above ; )
Getting Don Brown here as DC would be assume!
That is assuming coach Mora thinks it is awesome in his opinion. ;)
We will have 5 QBs on the roster next year with 3 of them having a legit chance to win the starting job and maybe adding 1 more QB through the portal. He will definitely need to improve to win the starting job, but I think he will be able to do that in the off-season.
With all due respect, you seem to think the portal only works for incoming with this post. Me thinks there will be a couple moving with the new world order.

Reaction Score
Why does Joly come off the field? I will never understand it. He blocks and we have no one that catches like him. He has breakaway speed. I do not want him getting heavier and playing TE. Also why with Cam Ross returning for his first scrimmage play after the short punt he could not field, did we line him up as a back out wide, put him in motion back towards the QB, then as he gets close to Zion, have to stop and reverse his field as we ran some sort of QB run option nonsense. It was a coaching screwup and Cam ran off the field with a limp as he stressed his foot stopping and reversing. Send him down the field and let him get comfortable in a real game. See how UMass covers him. Then give him a throw or 2. That ticked me off. Zion missed the long throw on the post to the student section. It is as simple as that. When Zion runs which is not enough on the RPO he needs to get up to top speed faster and the protect his body when defenders close. We should be running more plays with Zion under center.
Wondered that myself. :confused:

Reaction Score
Criticism of ZT is premature in my opinion. He’s a true fresh and has good control of the offense. The game plan is clearly designed to limit mistakes. As for UMass, we didn’t need to throw the ball more than we did, so there was no way the coaching staff was going to risk TOs.
I only speak for myself. It's not a criticism as much as it is an observation. Some things you see in the stadium that you don't see on TV. Overall he has had a very solid freshman year.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Turner is doing exactly what they want him to do. Manage the game with no turnovers and he has done a fine job doing just that.
There were two plays where he escaped when many thought he was caught behind the line. He is more instinctive now than in the first couple of games. You can see it. he has two running backs he can count on and two wide receivers, that is it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom