The View From Section 241 (UMass) | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 (UMass)

Reaction Score
We won last night and are 5-5, with two chances to get to bowl eligibility. One is against a Liberty team that has certainly performed better than us over the course of the season, but is still somewhat of a mystery and will have to come to our place between two games against P-5 teams in their region, and one is against an Army team that I don’t think is as good as us, but will be at home, desperate for a win and running an attack that is tough to prepare for in one week. Last night, the fan base and the players for a half seemed emotionally flat. That should not have been a surprise since we had a short week coming off an incredibly emotional and important win, and now were 16 point favorites, but you could feel the lack of energy in the building. But we overcame it and got the job done, which was the only goal that mattered. I’m not sure how we were ahead at halftime — we were outplayed, outcoached and out emotioned, but we still managed to nose in front. It took a bunch of luck — a return of a long FG that never should have been attempted, recovering a lateral that the offensive player never realized wasn’t a forward pass and breaking off a 75 yard run that wasn’t supposed to be THAT successful a play. But we were up. And then in the second half, the D took over, the offense did what it had to do with short fields and opportunities and we walked away having won 3 straight at home and 4 out of 5 overall. This from a team that had won a total of four games in the last four years. Was it pretty? No. Was it entertaining? No. Were we at the level we were against Fresno or BC? No. But none of that matters. What matters is we won and are now 5-5. Coming into the season, I would have been o.k. With beating Central, UMass and anyone else if I thought the staff was going in the right decision. We’re now 3-2 against “anyone elses” who aren’t ranked teams. As far as I’m concerned, we’re now playing with house money. But that having been said, for the players who’ve been with the program for a while, I will pray for them that we can get to 6 and they get the reward of going bowling. They deserve it.

The defense in the first half was incredibly disappointing given the level they had played at the prior two home games. Frankly, they were shredded by a really bad passing offense. On the TD, I’ll cut him some slack because it was the first really bad play I’ve seen Malcolm Bell make since he started playing, but I don’t know what happened. Bell had leverage and was in position, and then dove to the outside when the ball was inside. Did he get faked out by the receiver’s eyes? Did he slip? No idea. But even if you take their one scoring play away, the effort and intensity wasn’t there. The DL which destroyed BC never showed up. Yates and Watts, who so dominated last week, were very quiet. But the second half was totally different, as three and outs became the norm and, on 4 of their first 5 possessions, UMass was held to a combined one first down. We need 60 minutes of our best the next two games, but last night, after a worrisome start, it was more than good enough.

I’ve been saying for a month that we’re a different team with Houston healthy. One touch and viola! But we will need more than a cameo from him to get another win. Burns did a really good job last night. Rosa, for 3 quarters, was the same problem we’ve been seeing, but then as the UMass defense wore down in the 4th quarter, we saw the talent that, with more experience, will make him immensely dangerous in future years. Any time you break 250 yards running, shout out to the OL. The passing game, however — yuck. I’m fine with being conservative and not helping the other team with turnovers, but it seemed like last night was a step backwards. WAs it some flatness that Ross and Maririon only combined for one offensive snap? I can’t imagine what Flynn does to get on the field while Jolley only plays a limited number of snaps, Clercius just doesn’t have the speed to get the separation he needs, and Turner has nice quickness that can make plays every so often but hasn’t shown he can make tough catches with any consistency. I’m not sure it’s fair to judge ZT as a throwing QB until we have upgraded the WR position but no one should have any question about his toughness, his leadership and his willingness to play within himself. As I said in another thread, that’s an offseason question — the only thing that might improve passing now is the unlikely scenario of Marrion and/or Ross not just being back but being at 100%. But like the rest of the team, just look to the second TD and don’t question the effort. There was no reason for Rosa to score on that, other than the entire OL just willing the scrum to push forward until all of them entered the end zone together.

Ruelas seems to lose distance as the season goes on. His performance has been good, but for the next two games he has to make everything under 45 ;yards. We won’t be able to give up points every week. Caratin had a big night, and him outpunting his counterpart was the key to us winning the field position battle in the third quarter which led to the rugby scrum TD off a short field drive that allowed us to make the lead comfortable. Kickoff coverage remains below average. Rosa did a nice job returning both kickoffs and punts, though his best kickoff return came back because of an illegal block.

So that’s it. I’ll get to watch some college football relaxed today around golf. Due to a business trip that has to be made to Las Vegas next week I will not be at the LIberty game. I will make sure my two seats are filled and will make it up to myself by heading to West Point for the finale. But if anyone is in Vegas Saturday morning (I delayed my flight home to make sure I wouldn’t have to leave until the game was over) and wants someone to watch the game with, I’ll be in the Mandaly Bay sports book for the opening kickoff (unless someone wants to meet up somewhere else). As I said, just because we’re playing with house money doesn’t mean I’m not desperate for the players to be rewarded for their effort this season.. GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
We won last night and are 5-5, with two chances to get to bowl eligibility. One is against a Liberty team that has certainly performed better than us over the course of the season, but is still somewhat of a mystery and will have to come to our place between two games against P-5 teams in their region, and one is against an Army team that I don’t think is as good as us, but will be at home, desperate for a win and running an attack that is tough to prepare for in one week. Last night, the fan base and the players for a half seemed emotionally flat. That should not have been a surprise since we had a short week coming off an incredibly emotional and important win, and now were 16 point favorites, but you could feel the lack of energy in the building. But we overcame it and got the job done, which was the only goal that mattered. I’m not sure how we were ahead at halftime — we were outplayed, outcoached and out emotioned, but we still managed to nose in front. It took a bunch of luck — a return of a long FG that never should have been attempted, recovering a lateral that the offensive player never realized wasn’t a forward pass and breaking off a 75 yard run that wasn’t supposed to be THAT successful a play. But we were up. And then in the second half, the D took over, the offense did what it had to do with short fields and opportunities and we walked away having won 3 straight at home and 4 out of 5 overall. This from a team that had won a total of four games in the last four years. Was it pretty? No. Was it entertaining? No. Were we at the level we were against Fresno or BC? No. But none of that matters. What matters is we won and are now 5-5. Coming into the season, I would have been o.k. With beating Central, UMass and anyone else if I thought the staff was going in the right decision. We’re now 3-2 against “anyone elses” who aren’t ranked teams. As far as I’m concerned, we’re now playing with house money. But that having been said, for the players who’ve been with the program for a while, I will pray for them that we can get to 6 and they get the reward of going bowling. They deserve it.

The defense in the first half was incredibly disappointing given the level they had played at the prior two home games. Frankly, they were shredded by a really bad passing offense. On the TD, I’ll cut him some slack because it was the first really bad play I’ve seen Malcolm Bell make since he started playing, but I don’t know what happened. Bell had leverage and was in position, and then dove to the outside when the ball was inside. Did he get faked out by the receiver’s eyes? Did he slip? No idea. But even if you take their one scoring play away, the effort and intensity wasn’t there. The DL which destroyed BC never showed up. Yates and Watts, who so dominated last week, were very quiet. But the second half was totally different, as three and outs became the norm and, on 4 of their first 5 possessions, UMass was held to a combined one first down. We need 60 minutes of our best the next two games, but last night, after a worrisome start, it was more than good enough.

I’ve been saying for a month that we’re a different team with Houston healthy. One touch and viola! But we will need more than a cameo from him to get another win. Burns did a really good job last night. Rosa, for 3 quarters, was the same problem we’ve been seeing, but then as the UMass defense wore down in the 4th quarter, we saw the talent that, with more experience, will make him immensely dangerous in future years. Any time you break 250 yards running, shout out to the OL. The passing game, however — yuck. I’m fine with being conservative and not helping the other team with turnovers, but it seemed like last night was a step backwards. WAs it some flatness that Ross and Maririon only combined for one offensive snap? I can’t imagine what Flynn does to get on the field while Jolley only plays a limited number of snaps, Clercius just doesn’t have the speed to get the separation he needs, and Turner has nice quickness that can make plays every so often but hasn’t shown he can make tough catches with any consistency. I’m not sure it’s fair to judge ZT as a throwing QB until we have upgraded the WR position but no one should have any question about his toughness, his leadership and his willingness to play within himself. As I said in another thread, that’s an offseason question — the only thing that might improve passing now is the unlikely scenario of Marrion and/or Ross not just being back but being at 100%. But like the rest of the team, just look to the second TD and don’t question the effort. There was no reason for Rosa to score on that, other than the entire OL just willing the scrum to push forward until all of them entered the end zone together.

Ruelas seems to lose distance as the season goes on. His performance has been good, but for the next two games he has to make everything under 45 ;yards. We won’t be able to give up points every week. Caratin had a big night, and him outpunting his counterpart was the key to us winning the field position battle in the third quarter which led to the rugby scrum TD off a short field drive that allowed us to make the lead comfortable. Kickoff coverage remains below average. Rosa did a nice job returning both kickoffs and punts, though his best kickoff return came back because of an illegal block.

So that’s it. I’ll get to watch some college football relaxed today around golf. Due to a business trip that has to be made to Las Vegas next week I will not be at the LIberty game. I will make sure my two seats are filled and will make it up to myself by heading to West Point for the finale. But if anyone is in Vegas Saturday morning (I delayed my flight home to make sure I wouldn’t have to leave until the game was over) and wants someone to watch the game with, I’ll be in the Mandaly Bay sports book for the opening kickoff (unless someone wants to meet up somewhere else). As I said, just because we’re playing with house money doesn’t mean I’m not desperate for the players to be rewarded for their effort this season.. GO HUSKIES!
Flynn made two very good blocks on two short passes to Turner last week that were big gainers! I am speculating that he is our best blocker of the receivers that are on on roster and not hurt.

Reaction Score
Flynn made two very good blocks on two short passes to Turner last week that were big gainers! I am speculating that he is our best blocker of the receivers that are on on roster and not hurt.

Fair point. On a related note, Aaron Turner did a really nice job of blocking to spring Devontae for the long TD run.

Reaction Score
Fair point. On a related note, Aaron Turner did a really nice job of blocking to spring Devontae for the long TD run.
Devontae was asked post game about the support from his line and he mentioned blocking is a whole-team effort and specifically credited the receiving core for doing their part as well.

Reaction Score
The defensive play or plays of the game was was late in the 3rd when UMass got 8 or 9 on first down but then we forced a 4th down and for whatever reason, they decided to kick the fg. I'll never understand why why these teams who are 1-7 think like that. What do you have to lose?
I watched some of the game when I got home and couple of the UMass players were livid they didn't go for it.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The defensive play or plays of the game was was late in the 3rd when UMass got 8 or 9 on first down but then we forced a 4th down and for whatever reason, they decided to kick the fg. I'll never understand why why these teams who are 1-7 think like that. What do you have to lose?
I watched some of the game when I got home and couple of the UMass players were livid they didn't go for it.
Agree. I would have gone for it there, to try to get within 3, on the theory that who knows if they’d ever get that near a TD again. I was pleased with their decision to take the 3, even before their guy missed the chippy.

Reaction Score

(If you want a chuckle - click the first video and watch Brown’s body language @ beginning)

Reaction Score
Don looks so much older than when he was DC here, I know he is older, but he looks worn out.

Just finished the replay and it was an ugly game but an ugly game where we win by 17 would have been unthinkable a year ago. An ugly last year against this same opponent was a 2 touchdown loss literally.

Zion Turner, the good is he doesn't turn the ball over which is great for a true freshman. The bad, he doesn't pull the trigger fast enough when guys are open sometimes. On one play he had Aaron Turner wide open streaking across the field and instead pulled it down and took a big hit. Hopefully as gets comfortable seeing college defenses that gets better in future years. There is just a slight hesitancy from him pulling the trigger.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Whereas if I see #8 lined up wide I know the play is going nowhere.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Don looks so much older than when he was DC here, I know he is older, but he looks worn out.

Just finished the replay and it was an ugly game but an ugly game where we win by 17 would have been unthinkable a year ago. An ugly last year against this same opponent was a 2 touchdown loss literally.

Zion Turner, the good is he doesn't turn the ball over which is great for a true freshman. The bad, he doesn't pull the trigger fast enough when guys are open sometimes. On one play he had Aaron Turner wide open streaking across the field and instead pulled it down and took a big hit. Hopefully as gets comfortable seeing collrge defenses that gets better in future years. There is just a slight hesitancy from him pulling the trigger.
Yup- and the same on his decisions to take off and run- he doesn't have the speed to hesitate. Fix that with passing and running and he'll be dangerous.

Reaction Score
Yup- and the same on his decisions to take off and run- he doesn't have the speed to hesitate. Fix that with passing and running and he'll be dangerous.
I agree with the analysis. He’s a true freshman. Not being quite up to speed is hardly unusual.

If we’re talking about the future, I neither count ZT out as the QB of the future nor assume he’s going to start the next three years. He’ll have to improve and we’ll have to see. But we can have that debate two weeks from tomorrow. For now, we have to just improve within the context of who we are.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I do not know how much analysis is really necessary when it comes to the offense. UConn had 334 yards of offense against UMass, and UMass is terrible. UConn couldn't put the game away until there was less than 7 minutes left. Mora has done a good job this season, but UConn doesn't have an FBS offense yet, mostly because UConn doesn't have the talent. UConn is 124 out of 131 in total offense in the NCAA FBS. I don't know why anyone would do anything other than play a 1 deep zone, rushing 3 against UConn. UConn is not going to beat anyone deep, and why bother blitzing when the only way UConn scores is if it busts a long run. UConn is basically incapable of executing a long, sustained drive against even an average defense.

When a unit is as bad as UConn's offense is, it is usually a team effort to get there. Mora is certainly going to bring several more offensive players in through the transfer portal in the offseason. I am having fun with this season and am always rooting for the Huskies that are playing, but I do not know how many of the offensive players are going to seeing a lot of the field next year unless they significantly improve.

UConn will be outmatched against Liberty, but the Huskies have a shot against Army. I am looking forward to the games.

Reaction Score
I do not know how much analysis is really necessary when it comes to the offense. UConn had 334 yards of offense against UMass, and UMass is terrible. UConn couldn't put the game away until there was less than 7 minutes left. Mora has done a good job this season, but UConn doesn't have an FBS offense yet, mostly because UConn doesn't have the talent. UConn is 124 out of 131 in total offense in the NCAA FBS. I don't know why anyone would do anything other than play a 1 deep zone, rushing 3 against UConn. UConn is not going to beat anyone deep, and why bother blitzing when the only way UConn scores is if it busts a long run. UConn is basically incapable of executing a long, sustained drive against even an average defense.

When a unit is as bad as UConn's offense is, it is usually a team effort to get there. Mora is certainly going to bring several more offensive players in through the transfer portal in the offseason. I am having fun with this season and am always rooting for the Huskies that are playing, but I do not know how many of the offensive players are going to seeing a lot of the field next year unless they significantly improve.

UConn will be outmatched against Liberty, but the Huskies have a shot against Army. I am looking forward to the games.
We are one good QB and one additional high end receiver away from having a potent run/pass balanced offense. ZT might be that very good QB next year. Though, he still isn’t processing the field very well 10 games in which suggests he might continue to struggle. In any case, next year should be another step up by maturation and experience.

Reaction Score
It was great to see the Rent like that on Fri. The weather certainly helped. I thought the team came out flat which is not surprising given last week. In the second half they took care of business.

ZT was off, but the receivers weren’t giving him much to work with. As I said last week, with the injuries the offense is a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Reaction Score
It was great to see the Rent like that on Fri. The weather certainly helped. I thought the team came out flat which is not surprising given last week. In the second half they took care of business.

ZT was off, but the receivers weren’t giving him much to work with. As I said last week, with the injuries the offense is a lot of smoke and mirrors.

They only threw 13 times. No Idea why Joly does not get more looks. His YAC are pretty good.

Reaction Score

All fair. The good news is that before portal ins and outs, the offense should be much, much better next year. We return the entire offense except Guidone and Burns, and add the QB who won the job, our top two WRs (and maybe Dayton as well), Carter and Brewton. Will that be enough, however, that we can have at least an average passing offense? I have no idea. Neither does anyone else other than the coaching staff. But am I surprised if, now that we’ve had some success, Mora doesn’t go after a QB and a stud WR in the portal or JUCO ranks? Not at all.

But we have two huge games to play first.

Reaction Score

You don’t think the injuries have hurt and contributed to our limited offense? We lost our most talented skill players on offense, Granted we’ll have to add a few more next year but the offensive line and defense have been really good.

We don’t win pretty but it’s a helluva lot better than we’ve had to endure.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

Generally correct but a little over the top. We were UMass down but did it running right at them. Thought we stuck with the running across the line plays too much (Houston did bust his run with that play) as Rosa still wants to bounce everything outside and Burns is better between the tackles.

We do have an issue putting together long play drives as penalties, dropped passes, protection breakdowns or qb slow reads doom these drives. Considering the injuries, Mora, Charlton and co are wizards on getting us to 5-5.
Next year will be better. Just need to get at least 1 more win and next up is Liberty.

Reaction Score
Zion has been qb1 for 9 games now. At some point doesn’t the he’s only a freshman excuse start wearing a bit thin?

Reaction Score
All fair. The good news is that before portal ins and outs, the offense should be much, much better next year. We return the entire offense except Guidone and Burns, and add the QB who won the job, our top two WRs (and maybe Dayton as well), Carter and Brewton. Will that be enough, however, that we can have at least an average passing offense? I have no idea. Neither does anyone else other than the coaching staff. But am I surprised if, now that we’ve had some success, Mora doesn’t go after a QB and a stud WR in the portal or JUCO ranks? Not at all.

But we have two huge games to play first.
Agreed. I'm sure they'd like to add a TE or two and maybe a receiver because some guys are just snake bit with injuries. The "sell job" to portal guys is getting easier.

Reaction Score
We are one good QB and one additional high end receiver away from having a potent run/pass balanced offense. ZT might be that very good QB next year. Though, he still isn’t processing the field very well 10 games in which suggests he might continue to struggle. In any case, next year should be another step up by maturation and experience.
His lack of improvement is concerning, but it seems the conservative play calling is part of that perception. We will have 5 QBs on the roster next year with 3 of them having a legit chance to win the starting job and maybe adding 1 more QB through the portal. He will definitely need to improve to win the starting job, but I think he will be able to do that in the off-season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom