The View From Section 241 — Liberty | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 — Liberty

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Most of the FCS talent stems from Red Pants tenure.
Very true.

For some reason Diaco mistook the directive of having student athletes that were also students into a belief that as long as he recruited kids that stayed out of trouble and graduated, in field performance didn't matter.

Yes, he did bring in some players with sufficient talent to compete at the level we needed but there were too few of those and far too many who, while having sufficient size, did not possess anything close to the athleticism necessary.

Reaction Score
Kids today don’t seem to respond to tough love well.

They aren’t being soft at UGA, Michigan, tOSU, and Bama.

Saban doesn’t kiss recruit’s butts.

If you are going to go the tough love route then there has to be a payoff. Tough love plus continuing to suck is what we had,

From everything I have heard about Mora he’s very demanding and tough on his people. But he is very respected so it works.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

If you are going to go the tough love route then there has to be a payoff. Tough love plus continuing to suck is what we had,

From everything I have heard about Mora he’s very demanding and tough on his people. But he is very respected so it works.
Sure he does, but a recruit ceases to be a recruit once that fax (Do they still commit via fax?) is received by the Athletic Dept. Donny Marshall was talking about the Calhoun transformation during the BU game. Something to the effect of, "Remember that nice old gentleman from your living room? You won't be seeing him again."

Edsall's problem was that the game evolved, rules changed, super conferences finally happened, and the entire process passed him by. In the 90s and 00s, there were only a few QBs who could handle what evolved into RPO. When he came back, that was the norm. He (as well as Diaco) didn't think a pass heavy open offense could work in the northeast, while also disregarding how they were playing ball in Foxborough and East Rutherford. He was recruited and coached a Big East roster to play in the Southeast-based AAC. Finally, he saw the transfer portal as a sign of player disloyalty, without also recognizing the hypocrisy of his own actions following the Fiesta Bowl.

Anyway that is all in the past. UConn is bowl eligible, with a solid chance to win at least 7 games.

Reaction Score

Exactly this. Tough love that brings results people learn from and deal with. Tough love that serves no purpose just makes the boss a jerk.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I line mora's attitude on things. Hard but quick to love. It makes people want to do the work if they know the praise is going to come after the effort.

That "today" attitude is more that you need to reinforce quicker but this doesn't mean you reinforce marginal behavior. I think attention span is part of it. Possibly our overpraising culture, sure. Hard glove soft glove. If a guy at a gym belts out an epic set of five you celebrate it immediately as opposed to catching up later after the workout. However if it ain't epic you don't celebrate it.

I think that's the difference. Long term waits on feedback in this era doesn't work well. Rewarding short term outstanding work will breed more frequent outstanding work

Reaction Score
Edsall (and Cory) recruited much better than Diaco. My seats were behind the bench and you could easily see better athletes were committing. I posted about it a number of times. One of the reasons I thought they would start winning (I was wrong).
The coaching and schemas were just bad. The running game had one play left or right. Took forever to develop and was easy to plan for. Contrast to this years staff where they run multiple formations (that diamond one is cool) and have a mixture of quick hitters, stretches and options. They very much remind me of the 49ers.
Mora and his staff are going to coach up, scheme up, build up and encourage guys to be their best. No excuses from them or their players. Here we are approaching Thanksgiving with something else to be thankful for, UConn football.
Your are 100 percent correct. Edsall found running backs with great speed and the current staff are utilizing that speed in the play designs! As one poster said a few weeks ago, bringing too many players close to the line scrimmage on defense it is a risky proposition against UConn. If Rosa, Houston or Turner ( on a swing pass) get pass that first wave of tacklers there is a good chance they take it to the house. I love what our offensive coordinator has done this year!

Reaction Score
Your are 100 percent correct. Edsall found running backs with great speed and the current staff are utilizing that speed in the play designs! As one poster said a few weeks ago, bringing too many players close to the line scrimmage on defense it is a risky proposition against UConn. If Rosa, Houston or Turner ( on a swing pass) get pass that first wave of tacklers there is a good chance they take it to the house. I love what our offensive coordinator has done this year!
Also utilizing Burns as a bruiser back has helped

Reaction Score
Sure he does, but a recruit ceases to be a recruit once that fax (Do they still commit via fax?) is received by the Athletic Dept. Donny Marshall was talking about the Calhoun transformation during the BU game. Something to the effect of, "Remember that nice old gentleman from your living room? You won't be seeing him again."

Edsall's problem was that the game evolved, rules changed, super conferences finally happened, and the entire process passed him by. In the 90s and 00s, there were only a few QBs who could handle what evolved into RPO. When he came back, that was the norm. He (as well as Diaco) didn't think a pass heavy open offense could work in the northeast, while also disregarding how they were playing ball in Foxborough and East Rutherford. He was recruited and coached a Big East roster to play in the Southeast-based AAC. Finally, he saw the transfer portal as a sign of player disloyalty, without also recognizing the hypocrisy of his own actions following the Fiesta Bowl.

Anyway that is all in the past. UConn is bowl eligible, with a solid chance to win at least 7 games.

Huh?

Reaction Score
I line mora's attitude on things. Hard but quick to love. It makes people want to do the work if they know the praise is going to come after the effort.

That "today" attitude is more that you need to reinforce quicker but this doesn't mean you reinforce marginal behavior. I think attention span is part of it. Possibly our overpraising culture, sure. Hard glove soft glove. If a guy at a gym belts out an epic set of five you celebrate it immediately as opposed to catching up later after the workout. However if it ain't epic you don't celebrate it.

I think that's the difference. Long term waits on feedback in this era doesn't work well. Rewarding short term outstanding work will breed more frequent outstanding work

You can be tough and still celebrate victories both big and small.

You can also be rigid and tough but with no point. That’s Edsall.

Is it better to be feared or loved? The answer is both.

Reaction Score
Which word don't you understand? Saban very well kisses recruits' butts until they are no longer recruits.

No actually he does not. You have no idea of what you are talking about.

There are literally books written about Saban and recruiting. The sales pitch is that you come to Alabama to work harder than anyone else and be the best.

You should delete your post.

Husky25

Reaction Score
No actually he does not. You have no idea of what you are talking about.

There are literally books written about Saban and recruiting. The sales pitch is that you come to Alabama to work harder than anyone else and be the best.

You should delete your post.
Nah, I don't think I will...There is more in it than just the Saban/Calhoun bit.

Kissing a recruits' butt does not have to mean a coach is on his hands and knees, begging the recruit to play at their school. I can't imagine many coaches with that type of pitch being very successful.

On the other hand, a sales pitch must include something that the recruit wants to hear or it's not much of a pitch. Just by a coach of Saban's caliber making contact with a recruit is a signal of how much he is wanted.

Reaction Score
Burns is one of the MVP's of this team. He plays many positions at a very high level.
He is very talented P5 level RB and I’m glad he has gotten more use as the season as gone on. The OL opening holes for north south runners makes a huge difference too.

Reaction Score
Nah, I don't think I will...There is more in it than just the Saban/Calhoun bit.

Kissing a recruits' butt does not have to mean a coach is on his hands and knees, begging the recruit to play at their school. I can't imagine many coaches with that type of pitch being very successful.

On the other hand, a sales pitch must include something that the recruit wants to hear or it's not much of a pitch. Just by a coach of Saban's caliber making contact with a recruit is a signal of how much he is wanted.

Do some research. You’re incorrect. Some places are so good they sell themselves.

Husky25

Reaction Score
...The sales pitch is that you come to Alabama to work harder than anyone else and be the best...
Do some research. You’re incorrect. Some places are so good they sell themselves.

You reference Saban's sales pitch then comeback with, "some places sell themselves." All the while, missing the point of the original anecdote.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom