The View From Section 241 — Liberty | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 — Liberty

Reaction Score
I’m sitting at an airport restaurant at McCarron Las Vegas, so this won’t be a full 241, but there’s absolutely no way I’m waiting until tomorrow to talk at least briefly about this game. I watched the whole game from the sports book at Mandalay Bay, There were, by the second half, a few hundred folks watching ever;y game that was on real TV (they don’t show internet games) and the best I could tell I was the only person focused on the modest screen showing gameday at the Rent. Did that stop me from standing, screaming and arm pumping at critical moments in the game? That was rhetorical. I can’t imagine how much more fun and dramatic it would have been in Section 241, but it was nonetheless a great 3.5 hours (even if the length of the game made me bail on my lunch plans and settle for this CPK at the airport). Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.

So 6-5, 5-1 at home, bowl eligible, on a 5-1 run and with a good chance to, as I understand the rules, guaranty a bowl berth by beating Army and getting to 7-5. You could have offered me whatever odds you wanted to coming into the season that we’d be 6-5, and I would not have taken them. Thank you to David Benedict for being smarter than me and making an outstanding hire. Thank you Jim Mora for bringing in a staff that made players technically better, and thank you, most of all, for making the players believe they could win games when rational people would have doubted. And mostly thank you to the players, who believed in themselves and their ability to win after having been so incredibly clobbered in three straight games that giving up on the season after the last four years would have been natural.

Sometimes, in sports and in life, winning is less about being good and more about not looking a gift horse in the mouth and taking advantage of your opportunities when they arise. Our record aside, we really have a long way to go before we’re the level of football team that we were in the late aughts and that we want to be. But as I say all the time, better is interesting but isn’t what is important. Wins are important. They were the better football team today, but we got three gifts that, with our effort and ability, allowed us to walk away winners. First, very much like our game in Fresno last year, LIberty clearly had the wrong cleats for the field condition. I remember at least four or five times their ballcarrier went down untouched trying to make a cut. Second, when they were destroying us in the third quarter and were about to put a game in a stranglehold like Utah State did in their run, they gifted us 15 yards and a first down, after they had stopped us on third down, and then gave us another 15 yards on a personal foul later in the drive. Those 30 yards, and that second chance, led to Rosa’s second TD run. Third, and most importantly, up 5, at their own 44 or so, 6 minutes left in the game and fourth and short, you punt. You make us go the length of the field, knowing we need 7 to change the outcome and knowing that our offense is not a big play offense. You don’t go on 4th and 1 and let us win the game with a short field. And yet, inexplicably, a veteran and good coach didn’t play the odds and gave us a short field. And then our O made the season, and the D got its stop.

Much more to say, and I’ll add to the thread another time, but what a great day. Am I a weenie that a conference in Vegas can be made not with gambling or clubs or other trouble but watching a football game on TV? Yes. I don’t care. This was a great day nonetheless. And we’re going bowling, whether it takes a win in West Point on Saturday or whether Benedict gets it done in the office. GO HUSKIES!!!

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Excellent analysis. We did get some breaks. I was going to say the football gods are being kind to us for the first time in a dozen years, but it’s really just due to a lot of hard work by everyone in the program: thank you to everyone who made this happen!

Reaction Score
We had just as many slips for no gain. That one equaled out.

The bail out we got from the Liberty penalties helped, but you still need to capitalize. We’ve given other teams the same gifts and paid for it. Part of being good is not making mental mistakes. Liberty made them and we made them pay. That’s good football on our part.

Reaction Score
I’m speechless. I honestly don’t know how Mora did this. His defensive game plan was brilliant.…..and I’ve been meaning to mention this for awhile….the tackling has improved so much I sometimes make sure I’m watching UCONN! And Mitchell and Swenson are playing brilliantly. We have not had a group of backers play like this since Lutrus, Sio and Wilson.

There is still a ton of work to do with the offense, but they are getting it done. I think Rosa may turn out to be quite a surprise for us, to the extent he hasn’t been already. He’s fast and plenty strong. Once he becomes more decisive and loses the head fakes he could be very special. He will end up being an all-purpose back and slot receiver before his career is done.

Congratulations to all involved with the program. Truly inspiring!

Reaction Score
The other team is allowed to help us win. And they did. But it wasn't like we didn't give them plenty of opportunities to win.

Think about this. We had a chance to put away the game (virtually) by converting a 4th down. Couldn't get it done.

On their final drive they had a 4th down. Would have ended the game. We couldn't stop them and they converted to stay alive.

Then their QB threw a pass to a UConn DB. Catch it and the game is over. He drops it.

Three chances to put the game away. Three blown opportunities

The fourth time was the charm. They couldn't convert another 4th down. Storm the field!!!

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Thanks BL. Great preliminary analysis but, in my mind and when all is said and done, I believe the difference was that this Husky team refused to lose. They wanted it more than LU. Totally awesome and very refreshing. Props to the whole team and the coaches, and especially the seniors.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks BL. Great preliminary analysis but, in my mind and when all is said and done, I believe the difference was that this Husky team refused to lose They wanted it more than LU. Totally awesome and very refreshing. Props to the whole team and the coaches, and especially the seniors.

I think that long drive, i already forget if it was late 3rd or 4th, saved our defense as they were out of gas. That helmet to helmet cost liberty a lot as it went from 4th and done to a new set of downs

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Thank you to David Benedict for being smarter than me and making an outstanding hire. Thank you Jim Mora for bringing in a staff that made players technically better, and thank you, most of all, for making the players believe they could win games when rational people would have doubted. And mostly thank you to the players, who believed in themselves and their ability to win after having been so incredibly clobbered in three straight games that giving up on the season after the last four years would have been natural.
So well said. 'Cept maybe the part about DB being smarter than you.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
All I want to say is this:

I was on the field celebrating after the game (got a hug from AD Dave and Andre Dixon). To anyone who couldn't figure out a way to out the time and effort, you missed out and F$#@ You for missing out.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I was on the field celebrating after the game (got a hug from AD Dave and Andre Dixon). To anyone who couldn't figure out a way to out the time and effort, you missed out and F$#@ You for missing out.
FCF, wish I was there like last week but it's a long way back from TX. Watched the whole game here on CBSSN though and pretty much ignored the rest of the family visiting here today. Grandkids were unsure who took over their grandpa's body for 3 hours and I'm sure I'll pay for that one way or the other soon. Go Huskies!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There was some logic, I suppose, in Liberty going for it on 4th and short in their own territory, but I was thrilled they were being I think cocky about their ability to get the first down against the smart play of making us go a long way with our mostly plodding offense. It backfired on them. And kudos to Turner on that TD pass. Not any easy throw. The jury is out on him. He sure doesn’t have quick feet but he is a gamer.

Reaction Score
Here’s the looming question. Is Mora this good or was HCRE that bad?
It’s likely somewhere between, but man! Makes you think that wondering desert for past 5-6 seasons had a lot to do with coaching.

Very excited for these guys. Especially those that worked through lean years, and remained true to the program.

Great job by everyone getting this thing turned around a season or two earlier than predicted.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It’s likely somewhere between, but man! Makes you think that wondering desert for past 5-6 seasons had a lot to do with coaching.

Very excited for these guys. Especially those that worked through lean years, and remained true to the program.

Great job by everyone getting this thing turned around a season or two earlier than predicted.

Portal, better assistants and a better attitude made the difference. Mora was a huge upgrade that has little to do with Edsall other than his unwillingness to adapt.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I don't remember anyone ever talking about improvement, week to week or season to season, under the previous staff... It was roll the ball out for another beat down and then talk about how hard things are here. You hear Mora in that UMass mini-movie yelling "enough is enough!" in the locker room. That's the difference.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
FCF, wish I was there like last week but it's a long way back from TX. Watched the whole game here on CBSSN though and pretty much ignored the rest of the family visiting here today. Grandkids were unsure who took over their grandpa's body for 3 hours and I'm sure I'll pay for that one way or the other soon. Go Huskies!
CTTxus,

any time you and your better half are in the area please let me know. I'll gladly provide tickets for a UConn football game.

Reaction Score

GettyImages-1199346871.jpeg

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
241 view FfldCntyFan Tom g was too busy halftime tailgate sausage. Im.sure he's still celebrating will.post later

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The Defense came up big when they needed to, and the offense scored points early and when they needed to.

The most fun at a game in a long time "though the BC win" was pretty cool as well, but this was awesome

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I’m sitting at an airport restaurant at McCarron Las Vegas, so this won’t be a full 241, but there’s absolutely no way I’m waiting until tomorrow to talk at least briefly about this game. I watched the whole game from the sports book at Mandalay Bay, There were, by the second half, a few hundred folks watching ever;y game that was on real TV (they don’t show internet games) and the best I could tell I was the only person focused on the modest screen showing gameday at the Rent. Did that stop me from standing, screaming and arm pumping at critical moments in the game? That was rhetorical. I can’t imagine how much more fun and dramatic it would have been in Section 241, but it was nonetheless a great 3.5 hours (even if the length of the game made me bail on my lunch plans and settle for this CPK at the airport). Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.

So 6-5, 5-1 at home, bowl eligible, on a 5-1 run and with a good chance to, as I understand the rules, guaranty a bowl berth by beating Army and getting to 7-5. You could have offered me whatever odds you wanted to coming into the season that we’d be 6-5, and I would not have taken them. Thank you to David Benedict for being smarter than me and making an outstanding hire. Thank you Jim Mora for bringing in a staff that made players technically better, and thank you, most of all, for making the players believe they could win games when rational people would have doubted. And mostly thank you to the players, who believed in themselves and their ability to win after having been so incredibly clobbered in three straight games that giving up on the season after the last four years would have been natural.

Sometimes, in sports and in life, winning is less about being good and more about not looking a gift horse in the mouth and taking advantage of your opportunities when they arise. Our record aside, we really have a long way to go before we’re the level of football team that we were in the late aughts and that we want to be. But as I say all the time, better is interesting but isn’t what is important. Wins are important. They were the better football team today, but we got three gifts that, with our effort and ability, allowed us to walk away winners. First, very much like our game in Fresno last year, LIberty clearly had the wrong cleats for the field condition. I remember at least four or five times their ballcarrier went down untouched trying to make a cut. Second, when they were destroying us in the third quarter and were about to put a game in a stranglehold like Utah State did in their run, they gifted us 15 yards and a first down, after they had stopped us on third down, and then gave us another 15 yards on a personal foul later in the drive. Those 30 yards, and that second chance, led to Burns’ TD run. Third, and most importantly, up 5, at their own 44 or so, 6 minutes left in the game and fourth and short, you punt. You make us go the length of the field, knowing we need 7 to change the outcome and knowing that our offense is not a big play offense. You don’t go on 4th and 1 and let us win the game with a short field. And yet, inexplicably, a veteran and good coach didn’t play the odds and gave us a short field. And then our O made the season, and the D got its stop.

Much more to say, and I’ll add to the thread another time, but what a great day. Am I a weenie that a conference in Vegas can be made not with gambling or clubs or other trouble but watching a football game on TV? Yes. I don’t care. This was a great day nonetheless. And we’re going bowling, whether it takes a win in West Point on Saturday or whether Benedict gets it done in the office. GO HUSKIES!!!
nice try, but your petition for the granting of an indulgence is denied.
u didn't go to the game, and that's shameful.

(don't tell anyone, but i didn't go either. prolly gonna have to wear some kind of national flag blue pawprint on my shirt for the next ten years in contrition, and a helmet on the hoops court, too.)

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
nice try, but your petition for the granting of an indulgence is denied.
u didn't go to the game, and that's shameful.

(don't tell anyone, but i didn't go either. prolly gonna have to wear some kind of national flag blue pawprint on my shirt for the next ten years in contrition, and a helmet on the hoops court, too.)
Spliff, a true act of contrition would require far more than you are currently offering.

Reaction Score
Portal, better assistants and a better attitude made the difference. Mora was a huge upgrade that has little to do with Edsall other than his unwillingness to adapt.
I agree, but I would add a couple of other points. First, Edsall allowed the OL coach to also be the OC, something almost no other school does because you need the OL coach to focus on the OL as you are constantly rebuilding the line due to graduations and injuries. Mora has a dedicated OC and dedicated OL coach. Second, I think Edsall wanted to upgrade the QB position through transfers as he did during 1.0, but what decent QB wanted to come to UConn to play for Guifre? Mora/Charlton were able to bring in Roberson, Millen, and Turner which was a huge upgrade. Finally, Mora was given more support staff than Edsall and it shows with who they picked up through the portal. One positive point on Edsall. He does have an eye for overlooked high school talent especially at RB.

One last point. Benedict inherited Diaco and it seems Edsall 2.0 was pushed on him, so Mora is his first real football hire. And, Benedict seems to understand what it takes to be competitive in today's college football with the portal, NIL, analytics, support staff, offensive philosophy,... and I don't think Edsall did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom