The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2023 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2023

Reaction Score
Boone stayed with Kahnle too long lol. Holmes stinks again, way too inconsistent to be your closer. And Torres is the worst base runner since Posada. 9th inning, 1st and 2nd the kid steals third and he stays home at first. Add to that the first baseman was 15 feet behind him not holding him on. Horrible base running but this happens often with him.

Oh yeah down 2 Stanton singled with 2 outs but he can’t score from first so the game isn’t tied like it should be. Yankee baseball at its finest yesterday lol.

Reaction Score
Donaldson released and Bader waived.

Let the youth movement begin!

Too late on Donaldson horrible Cashman move. Bader, like the guy but he’s on the IR way too much.

I’d be pissed i resigned with the Yanks if I were Judge.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Too late on Donaldson horrible Cashman move. Bader, like the guy but he’s on the IR way too much.

I’d be pissed i resigned with the Yanks if I were Judge.
Bader was eating lunch with the team when the news of his demise was flashing on TV.

Reaction Score
Bader was eating lunch with the team when the news of his demise was flashing on TV.

Kinda weird how they do this stuff. I mean he’s waived and plays the same night. It’s no wonder he went 0 fer 4 I guess.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah down 2 Stanton singled with 2 outs but he can’t score from first so the game isn’t tied like it should be. Yankee baseball at its finest yesterday lol.

Stanton only hits when the yanks are way ahead or when then are playing subpar teams (which sadly includes the Yanks right now) in meaningless games. Cashman spent a lot of money on a person who can hit, but had questions on if he could handle the NY spotlight before he even went to the Bronx. The dream of having Judge and Stanton team-up together for a killer middle part of the line-up never materialized. Why he is still in the Bronx and an effective, durable innings-eater like Montgomery is not is beyond me.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Stanton only hits when the yanks are way ahead or when then are playing subpar teams (which sadly includes the Yanks right now) in meaningless games. Cashman spent a lot of money on a person who can hit, but had questions on if he could handle the NY spotlight before he even went to the Bronx. The dream of having Judge and Stanton team-up together for a killer middle part of the line-up never materialized. Why he is still in the Bronx and an effective, durable innings-eater like Montgomery is not is beyond me.
Stanton has 3 or 4 more years left on on his contract. Somewhere around $90 million left. Fat chance of trading him. You could DFA him and eat the money. Hal Steinbrenner is not going to go that.

The Yankees are stuck with Stanton.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Stanton has 3 or 4 more years left on on his contract. Somewhere around $90 million left. Fat chance of trading him. You could DFA him and eat the money. Hal Steinbrenner is not going to go that.

The Yankees are stuck with Stanton.
I think the Marlins pay a lot of the last 2 years.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think the Marlins pay a lot of the last 2 years.
I hope that this is true. I was under the impression the portion they were covering was spread pretty evenly across the remainder of the deal.

Regardless, if he can't play the outfield without ending up in the IL and can't hit when he only plays DH, there is a considerable problem with having him on the roster.

Reaction Score
Bader was claimed off waivers by the Reds. I thought the flashes he showed last season, especially during the playoffs, was the guy we were getting. But that stretch proved to be the exception. Top flight outfielder, but struggled to stay healthy and was not hitting enough to keep him around. Bring in The Martian!

Reaction Score
Was at the Yardgoats/Patriots game last night.

Figure it’s good time to focus on the future. Fun to get a chance to see Jasson Dominguez live. He hit two rockets: a HR to center field and a laser single. Good speed on the bases and held his own at CF too. Glad to have caught him at a good game.

Trey Sweeney impressed too: a smart, solid SS and rocked a triple late in the game.
Crazy how I watched both Dominguez and Wells in AA just six weeks ago and now they are called up to the big leagues!

AAA stats:
  • Dominguez: .419, 10 RBI, 3 SB, 6 R in 31 ABs
  • Wells: .254, .802 OPS, 5 HR, 20 RBI, 2 SB, 16 R in 126 AB

And @Dove is correct: Marlins will pay Yankees 10M in '26, '27 and '28

So below is how much Yankees will pay Stanton each season of his remaining contract:

2024: 32M
2025: 32M
2026: 19M
2027: 15M
2028: 0M, even with Stanton's 10M buyout

Long story short, my guess is the latest Stanton will stay on the team is through the 2025 season and then I'd expect the Yankees to eat the 34M remaining on his contract starting in 2026.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Are new members of the team required to have a star mustache or is that their way of rebelling against the no beard rule? I know a couple of random guys have had them in the past but Rodon had one to start the year and now they call up Wells and he has one.

Reaction Score
Crazy how I watched both Dominguez and Wells in AA just six weeks ago and now they are called up to the big leagues!

And @Dove is correct: Marlins will pay Yankees 10M in '26, '27 and '28

So below is how much Yankees will pay Stanton each season of his remaining contract:

2024: 32M
2025: 32M
2026: 19M
2027: 15M
2028: 0M, even with Stanton's 10M buyout

Long story short, my guess is the latest Stanton will stay on the team is through the 2025 season and then I'd expect the Yankees to eat the 34M remaining on his contract starting in 2026.

I keep telling my son, who is a big Sox fan, that the Yanks will trade Rizzo and Stanton to Boston for Casas. I thnk its a great deal. He does too, I mean, when someone puts up the middle finger and points it at your, it means that idea is #1, right?

Reaction Score
That felt different, yes long ways to go for these kids but nice to see them sweep the Astros in September while they are in the thick of a division race.

I still don’t want Boone or Cashman back stick with the youth and have the analytics team leave them the hell alone.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
So far the "kids" are doing pretty good. Time will tell about their staying power.

I'm more interested in an outside firm coming in and evaluating the organization top to bottom. Steinbrenner is taking a bold move. I am not a Steinbrenner or Cashman fan and have not been for a while.

I don't believe the Yankees can move forward with Cashman as GM and his crew.

Reaction Score
So far the "kids" are doing pretty good. Time will tell about their staying power.

I'm more interested in an outside firm coming in and evaluating the organization top to bottom. Steinbrenner is taking a bold move. I am not a Steinbrenner or Cashman fan and have not been for a while.

The Courant has a good article on the Yankees. Basically, velo does nothing if one can't hit the ball in the first place, find the strike zone for pitchers, nor field a basic grounder. Analytics should support/complement things, not drive the bus. Baseball fundamentals have to come first. Now, if Boone and/or Cashman are behind the devotion to analytics, then they should go.

Reaction Score
I have enjoyed watching the last few games with the kids from the Bronx. That said, the playoffs are a long shot (and should be so that hopefully there will be a house cleaning with management. So, let the fun begin for 2024

Just my opinion, but this is what I would like to see as the starting line-up for 2024. Stop thinking about velo and focus on baseball basics, getting on base, sound defense, and deep pitching. Obviously, I have a big splash or two here as these are the Yankees, but I want to see the Yankees keep this energy.

Starting Pitchers: 1) Cole (R), 3) Rodon (L), Montgomery (L), 4) Cortes (L), 5/6) Schmidt (R)/King (R)/German (R)
Relief: Closer) Hader, Set-up) Loaisiga, Left) Perala, Right) Brito, Long Relief) Loser of 6th Starter

Catcher: Trevino, Wells
First: Rizzo, LeMahieu
Second: Torres, Peraza
Third: LeMahieu, Peraza
SS: Volpe, Peraza
LF: Bellinger, Pereira
CF: Dominguez, Pereira
RF: Judge, Kiner-Falefa
DF: Pederson/Brantley, Judge
Utility/Bench: Peraza, Pereira, Kiner-Falefa, Cabera

Basically, I am looking to focus and splash money at 3B or LF, a new closer, and a #2/#3 starter. The first two will cost money; but it’s the Yankees and Judge’s window is going to close in the next 5 years or so, so go for it. Maybe they can trade Stanton (I’ve asked my Red Sox loving son if he would accept Standon and LeMahieu for Casas and he gives me the finger)? Bellinger looks to be worth the cash as he has the proven the ability to play in higher-pressure environments (Dodgers, Cubs), now hits for average (over velo) and is a left. I want a nasty, young closer and Hader fist the bill here and won’t have excessive pressure on his as the bullpen behind him still looks strong. As for a #3 starter, yes, I am still mad the Yanks traded away Montgomery and I think bringing him back as a NYC proven, consistent LHP would work well for both. Can take a waiver on an older player to fill-in on part-time DH role with Judge.

Batting Order
1) Dominguez (S)
2) Bellinger (L)
3) Judge (R)
4) Rizzo (L)
5) Torres (R)
6) Pederson/Brantley - DH
7) Trevino (R)
8) LeMahieu (R)
9) Vople (R)

This feels like a lot of power and speed-up front, which gives defenses stuff to think about should they try to pitch around them and put them on base. Judge has a lot of protection sandwiched between Bellinger and Rizzo, both of whom are Lefties. In general, there are three lefties and a switch-hitter in the line-up while on the bench there, Wells, who will see a opportunities as a Catcher, PH, and maybe even DH, is a lefty, while Cabera can hit both sides.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
And while I am reading the 2023 free agent summary, I see this on ESPN.

This would be his second strike if proven by MLB (the Courts are separate), he could be out of baseball in 2024.

Reaction Score
Nice.

IMG_3249.jpeg

Reaction Score

Hearing that Hal overruled Cashman to call up the kids. Cashman never wanted the kids called up same with the analytical department. Cashman would still have Donaldson starting if it were up to him. Good on Hal to wake the hell up finally but now he has to follow through and get rid of Cashman.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Hearing that Hal overruled Cashman to call up the kids. Cashman never wanted the kids called up same with the analytical department. Cashman would still have Donaldson starting if it were up to him. Good on Hal to wake the hell up finally but now he has to follow through and get rid of Cashman.
Cashman wants to pick up Gallo for the homestretch.

Reaction Score
I always love Yankee Old Timers' Day. I remember watching with my Dad when I was a kid and still enjoy seeing our old heroes return. One thing that stuck out from today's event was that it seems that the retired players do a much better job of keeping themselves in shape than players of old. El Duque looked like he could still give the team a few innings. Great event.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The above "Oooooof" was related to being no hit for so long.

Now, no Jasson Dominguez until maybe July, 2024, and you know that minor league ball is his future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom