The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022

Reaction Score
Refresh my memory....was there ever a risk Jeter would walk? Were his negotiations ever as public as Judge's?

I am surprised he turned down that offer from Cashman. He is a big guy and likely to have injury issues. Stanton is clogging the DH spot, so that's not an option. 7 years sounded about right to me. Hopefully they can work it out...if not...I wont be devastated.
The Boss was there so a deal was getting done with Jeter and no social media back then. I can recall when Jeter was a FA in 2011 he was 37 so no market for him and details of the deal became public, and Jeter was pretty pissed at Cashman for leaking it, still to this day.

Im sure Judge looked at Anthony Rendon contract, which is 300 mill but this is the Angels were talking about who throw around stupid money, look where its gotten them.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i think that they are playing us, which is their right to do. they're in the entertainment biz, and having the will he/won't he stuff is just so much free advertising.
on the udder hand, and only learning here that ol 99 has some jab biz going on, it's also likely that people can have mixed emotions on that. look at the actual number of folks in the stands so far. empty seats, opening series, red sox.
i wasn't there, and so too a whole pantload of pals, sox and yankee fans, seem of the mind 'i don't need no stinkin hassles.'
lots of things have changed...

but not us winning! expect more, lots more.
cone is getting senile. on the intro to pivaretta or whatever, his last season data is on the screen as cone excitedly says 'pretty good!' the data was a sea of nothing. on the udder, udder hand, they put up marinaccio or whatevers data, and they were lit. then he makes his intro, stumbles a bit, then came back to roast the sox. impressive.
mr stanton is now 6 straight games with a blast, and looooooooooie is back. throwing 100 mph peas.

Reaction Score
I'm probably too young or started following baseball too recently, but have there been any other Yankees that have gone from universally beloved to somewhat of a pariah with the fanbase as quickly as Judge has? Between this contract situation regarding his rumored counteroffer and antivaxx stance (which will probably become even more of an issue when they finally start playing games in Toronto - or if they have to play the Jays in the playoffs), it seems like the fanbase turned on him extremely quickly.
Not me, the Yankees have become a corporate PR machine, this is the same front office that fired Girardi even though he over achieved in 2017, and hired Aaron Boone because hes a nice guy. Judge has done more for my team to win a world series then the Yankees have under Hal. Fans do buy the Yankees propaganda, that is backed by the local media being an optimistic fan is one thing but the ones constantly defend the team their part of the problem.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Buster Olney wrote about some more details regarding contract extension talks with Judge

The Yankees and Judge were not close to reaching an agreement in their negotiations, according to sources; in fact, they weren't really even in the same financial universes. In speaking with reporters Friday, Cashman outlined the Yankees' extension of $213.5 million over seven years, or $30.5 million a year -- and sources said that total package was about 60 to 70% of the range that Judge sought: $36 million annual salary over a contract length of nine or 10 years.

In designing their offer to Judge, industry sources say, the Yankees considered the contracts among the big league's four highest-paid outfielders: Giancarlo Stanton, Judge's teammate, signed his 13-year, $325 million deal at age 25. Bryce Harper signed his 13-year, $330 million deal with the Philadelphia Phillies at age 23 -- for an average annual salary slightly above Stanton's, about $25.4 million annually.

Mookie Betts whose 12-year, $365 million deal is considered to have about $26 million in annual value, in present-day value, because of the high share of deferred money (a trademark of recent Dodgers contracts).

Only Mike Trout's whopper deal, signed at age 27, exceeds the annual rate that Judge sought: $426.5 million over 12 years, for an average annual value of $35.5 million.

The Yankees' perspective through their negotiations with Judge, who turns 30 on April 26, was that because Stanton, Harper, Trout and Betts signed at much younger ages than Judge, their respective teams had a greater chance to invest in the peak years of those players' careers. Harper, Stanton, Trout and Betts all first signed professionally out of high school, accelerating their paths to the big leagues at a younger age. Judge attended Fresno State, and was picked by the Yankees in the first round of the 2013, when he was 21 years old.

The Yankees' offer would've covered Judge's age 31 through age 37 seasons. Yankees officials felt they might be able to entice Judge by offering more in annual salary than Stanton, Harper and Betts, even though it was slightly less than Trout. Judge's salary request was slightly north of where Trout stands, and depending on the accounting, would make him the highest-paid player in baseball.

In the negotiations between Judge and the Yankees, Judge's camp made the argument that he's worth more to the Yankees because he's already established as a New York star. The Yankees countered that the pinstriped franchise is worth more to Judge than any other team would be, as a foundation for his brand. A decade ago, the Yankees and All-Star second baseman Robinson Canoreached an impasse in their negotiations, and Cano signed a 10-year, $240 million deal with the Mariners -- and Cano hasn't appeared in a playoff game since.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Buster Olney wrote about some more details regarding contract extension talks with Judge

If the details in that article are accurate...I agree with cashman on this. Committing big dollars beyond age 37 is not smart.

I still think they should have signed Bryce Harper.

Reaction Score
I'm probably too young or started following baseball too recently, but have there been any other Yankees that have gone from universally beloved to somewhat of a pariah with the fanbase as quickly as Judge has? Between this contract situation regarding his rumored counteroffer and antivaxx stance (which will probably become even more of an issue when they finally start playing games in Toronto - or if they have to play the Jays in the playoffs), it seems like the fanbase turned on him extremely quickly.
I no longer live on the East Coast, so I don't get to listen to talk radio, but I follow the Yankees on TV and in the press and I don't get the sense that the fans have turned on Judge at this point. I read the NY Post daily and their columnists have not yet started to tear into Judge. I think there's worry that the deal didn't get done yet, but it's hard to knock a guy for betting on himself. This situation is unlike, let's say, Kristaps Porzingis with the Knicks where Porzingis was viewed as a villain for forcing his way off the team. I watched the YES opening day broadcast and Judge seemed to get, by far, the loudest ovation during the opening lineup announcements. I think even if Judge leaves in free agency after the season he will still be met with an ovation when he returns to Yankee Stadium wearing another uniform. That last statement is null and void if that uniform is a Red Sox uniform ;-).

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i like aaron judge. he's been fun, and sometimes productive, but looking at his resume with plain old cold logic, and thinking he's been much more than box office candy, doesn't work.
not much there other than a stellar season 5 years ago, and a noteworthy obp. that's it. 1500 hits, 400 hrs, or 1000 rbi's for his career currently look like a stretch. they compare his record to others similarily situated, and we find the names jon nunally, jayson bay, and brian giles. who?
i've never cared much aboot money in sports. what people make or what they're worth means mostly nuthin to me, as they all seem to eat regularly.
i do, as most fans, periodically have an attachment to some athletes for their funability and winability. that's it. so, if he stays, fine. and if he goes, also fine. there's enuf new york hype nonsense in this world already.
im good with giancarlo being the big bopper for the next decade. at least he's got a pantload of hrs and ribbys already. 350 and 900, by resume.
Aaron Judge Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
kinda underwhelming, especially from someone trying to shake down the system for best in class cash. if he is getting pigeonholed into the kyrie label, it does make me respect him more. still doesn't change my view of his stats, or potential.
just cuz i like u, doesn't mean im going to hire u, cuz u ain't starving, either. imma soft touch for those starving types.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I think even if Judge leaves in free agency after the season he will still be met with an ovation when he returns to Yankee Stadium wearing another uniform.
I’m not so sure. If he wins a World Series this year and then leaves, people will be more forgiving. If he bails for a slightly better contract elsewhere without a WS ring here, I think the boos will be louder than when Bregman and Altuve returned to the Stadium for the first time.

My guess is Cashman will tell Judge, go out and see what you’re worth to other teams, then come back and see us. They did that with Jeter years ago when he was going into free agency and wanted a boatload of cash that his sabermetics didn’t support.

Reaction Score
I’m not so sure. If he wins a World Series this year and then leaves, people will be more forgiving. If he bails for a slightly better contract elsewhere without a WS ring here, I think the boos will be louder than when Bregman and Altuve returned to the Stadium for the first time.

My guess is Cashman will tell Judge, go out and see what you’re worth to other teams, then come back and see us. They did that with Jeter years ago when he was going into free agency and wanted a boatload of cash that his sabermetics didn’t support.
Im sure the Yankee brass leaked out the details of what was offered to get the fans to say “oh look how greedy Judge is”. We have no idea what was said in those negotiations. According to Ken Rosenthal Judge asking for 9 years was BS. The Yankees also said Correa asked for 300 mill that was later debunked by his agent.

About the 14 minute mark some really good talk about Judge.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Im sure the Yankee brass leaked out the details of what was offered to get the fans to say “oh look how greedy Judge is”. We have no idea what was said in those negotiations. According to Ken Rosenthal Judge asking for 9 years was BS. The Yankees also said Correa asked for 300 mill that was later debunked by his agent.

About the 14 minute mark some really good talk about Judge.

Rosenthal did not say that. He said 10 years was not asked for, but that a 9 year contract including this season was. He also corroborated the $36M AAV ask from Judge’s camp.

Reaction Score
Man, in three innings tonight Paul O’Neill bashed New Britain and Coney showed love for Norwalk.

StllH8L8ner

Reaction Score
Im sure the Yankee brass leaked out the details of what was offered to get the fans to say “oh look how greedy Judge is”.
I guess Cashman was on Carton & Roberts and said he told Judge’s camp that if they didn’t come to an agreement, they would be releasing the offer details to the public. Interesting tactic to persuade the current face of the franchise to stay.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I guess Cashman was on Carton & Roberts and said he told Judge’s camp that if they didn’t come to an agreement, they would be releasing the offer details to the public. Interesting tactic to persuade the current face of the franchise to stay.
That is an interesting tactic. I would guess it was a preemptive strike to prevent Judge from building up sympathy with fans.

And...I think it worked.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So....I don't like when the lineup has Judge, Stanton and Gallo in a row. Especially Stanton and Gallo back to back. Top closers will easily punch them out at the end of games. Stick Torres or DJ between them.

Reaction Score
Anyone have any favorite Yankee streamers there’s so many. I listen to Jomboy, NYY news, and Yankee recaps. I like NYY news the best because they call it like it is, Jomboy does call out the Yankees but there is a limit to what they can say because they have connections to the YES Network.

Reaction Score
That is an interesting tactic. I would guess it was a preemptive strike to prevent Judge from building up sympathy with fans.

And...I think it worked.
Cashman sure knows how to play his cards right I’ll give him that, protected by the local media like no other.

StllH8L8ner

Reaction Score
Nester “Don’t call me Dan” Cortes….Yankees most reliable pitcher these days?

Reaction Score
Vlad Guerrero Jr is having himself quite an evening. 4-4 with 3 HR. The first one was aided by Aaron Hicks who played an effort in catching the ball at the wall in CF into a HR, but the next two were absolute no doubters. The second one ricocheted off the far wall out in left center, and his third reached the second deck.

If they ever get their BP sorted out this year, this team is going to be one tough out.

Of course, the underreported story is how the Yankees spent more than 600% their allotted bonus pool $ on their IFA class of 2014, which hamstrung their ability to sign anyone of significance in the 2015 IFA class.

Vlad Jr signed with the Blue Jays for $3.9m. The Yankees 2014 class is basically a collection of guys who either haven’t reached the bigs, never will, or had some success as RP.

Nice work, Brian.

Reaction Score
Chapman has been a very good to excellent Yankee, but last night was a little taste of post-Chapman life for the Yankees.

Between Wetteland, Rivera, Robertson and Chapman, the Yankees have been rostering elite closers since the mid-90s, but I'm all for a closer-by-committee for 2023, even now.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Chapman has been a very good to excellent Yankee, but last night was a little taste of post-Chapman life for the Yankees.

Between Wetteland, Rivera, Robertson and Chapman, the Yankees have been rostering elite closers since the mid-90s, but I'm all for a closer-by-committee for 2023, even now.
I am glad Boone didn't let him work through it. I think they will figure out the bullpen...I am still more worried about the offense.

StllH8L8ner

Reaction Score
Yanks score one run in 13 innings against the Orioles….and Boone is losing his mind on the umps. Maybe aim some that fire toward your own hitters?

Reaction Score
Yanks score one run in 13 innings against the Orioles….and Boone is losing his mind on the umps. Maybe aim some that fire toward your own hitters?
He gets ejected after the game too lol.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Nester “Don’t call me Dan” Cortes….Yankees most reliable pitcher these days?
Looking Nasty today. Sure, some high and away pitches but he's baffling the birds so far.

Reaction Score
Looking Nasty today. Sure, some high and away pitches but he's baffling the birds so far.
Cortes is quickly becoming one of my favorite Yankees.

Last year, I felt like he was a bit of an Aaron Small type pitcher, a "keep riding the hot hand" guy, but in a sport filled with so many overpowering fireballers, it's great to see a true craftsman, a real "pitcher". With all his change of speed, arm angles and windup magic...so much fun to watch.

10 Ks in 4 innings. Wow.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom