The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
And @navery12 was first with the scoop...

Good bye Gary Sanchez!!! And sadly, good bye Gio Urshela, too.

The star coming back? Josh Donaldson at 3B. He can still rake and is signed through 2023.

Reaction Score
Lol another player who won’t be able to play in Toronto. Watch as the Yankees have to play them in the postseason this year and will be on the road without Judge and Donaldson and whoever else was dumb enough to remain unvaccinated.

Reaction Score
Was surprised to read about this trade this morning as Boone had just said that Gio would be the everyday shortstop. I don't know too much about the shortstop that the Yanks got back, but if Donaldson is being brought in to play 3B, where does DJ play?

With regards to Sanchez, I see him leave with mixed emotions. It's not that I haven't watched all those painful at-bats these past couple of years, but I can't help but remember what a beast he was his first couple of seasons. I kept waiting for that version to return, but he never could do so consistently. I hope he's able to re-discover his plate discipline in Minnesota as he has obvious All-star talent.

Reaction Score
Was surprised to read about this trade this morning as Boone had just said that Gio would be the everyday shortstop. I don't know too much about the shortstop that the Yanks got back, but if Donaldson is being brought in to play 3B, where does DJ play?

With regards to Sanchez, I see him leave with mixed emotions. It's not that I haven't watched all those painful at-bats these past couple of years, but I can't help but remember what a beast he was his first couple of seasons. I kept waiting for that version to return, but he never could do so consistently. I hope he's able to re-discover his plate discipline in Minnesota as he has obvious All-star talent.
There has to be another move coming. Out on Olson he got traded to the Braves just now, hearing Yankees didn’t pull the trigger on Olson because the A’s wanted Anthony Volpe, I say you sign Freeman then then trade Gleyber for a starting pitcher.

Reaction Score
Justin Lange is a 6’4 220 RHP who was The #34 overall pick in the ‘20 draft. MLB.com lists Lange as the #8 prospect in SD’s pipeline.

From MLB.com:
Scouting grades: Fastball: 65 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 45 | Overall: 50

Lange put his name on the map with a big-time fastball that erupted in the early spring preceding the 2020 Draft. He routinely hit the upper 90s and touched 100 mph, vaulting into the supplemental first round, where he signed with the Padres for $2 million as the 34th overall selection.

Lange's fastball sits in the mid-90s and can feature both run and sink. He has the makings of a second power pitch in a slider that could become a plus mid-80s weapon with bite. The pitch is inconsistent, however, and should be a focal point of Lange’s as he begins to face pro hitters. He will also incorporate a changeup, which he rarely threw against high-school opposition.

A quick-twitch athlete, Lange added 25 pounds of muscle in the offseason prior to the Draft and had one of the best bodies in the 2020 high school pitching class. He has a huge ceiling but will need time to reach it, given his unrefined secondary pitches and shaky control and command. His slightly unorthodox low-arm-slot delivery also raises a few question marks.

His birthday: 9/11/01. Wild.

Reaction Score
Today is my birthday. I want Trevor Story.
Happy birthday to you, but dont expect Cashman to sign Trevor Story lol. Correa signs with the Twins 3 years 100 mill with an opt out what a joke. Winning championships are no longer a priority with this franchise anymore, staying under the luxury tax is the priority but hey lets give Hicks 70 mill.

Reaction Score
Saw an old buddy yesterday:

IMG_0112.jpg

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Happy birthday to you, but dont expect Cashman to sign Trevor Story lol. Correa signs with the Twins 3 years 100 mill with an opt out what a joke. Winning championships are no longer a priority with this franchise anymore, staying under the luxury tax is the priority but hey lets give Hicks 70 mill.
Thanks for the BD wish.

Aaaaand, the Red Sox just got even better on offense. Signed Story to 6 years.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the BD wish.

Aaaaand, the Red Sox just got even better on offense. Signed Story to 6 years.
But we just signed Marwin Gonzalez!!!

The Correa deal pisses me off the most. That’s a no-brained UFA move with the complete lack of long term risk.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
well, at least some of the clown posse here figgered out it's 2022 now, and have finally moved their thoughts to this board, and not the 2021 one. enlightenment!
and oh, happy birthday to dove. or not. depends upon what he says.
zoning people, they're a weird lot. always yammerin on aboot setbacks, variances, wetlands, traffic studies, fees...
no wonder it's so hard to get anything built.

Reaction Score
I'm just starting to catch up on the MLB offseason...

This rotation...is it set for the year?
  1. Cole
  2. Severino
  3. Montgomery
  4. Taillon
  5. TBA
    1. Schmidt
    2. Gil
    3. King
    4. Garcia
    5. Cortes?
Is this what we're working with? I can't believe King and Schmidt are already 26.

Reaction Score
I'm just starting to catch up on the MLB offseason...

This rotation...is it set for the year?
  1. Cole
  2. Severino
  3. Montgomery
  4. Taillon
  5. TBA
    1. Schmidt
    2. Gil
    3. King
    4. Garcia
    5. Cortes?
Is this what we're working with? I can't believe King and Schmidt are already 26.
Too many variables to rely on in the rotation, with health and potential. Amazing what a difference it would make to add one proven starter.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
well, at least some of the clown posse here figgered out it's 2022 now, and have finally moved their thoughts to this board, and not the 2021 one. enlightenment!
and oh, happy birthday to dove. or not. depends upon what he says.
zoning people, they're a weird lot. always yammerin on aboot setbacks, variances, wetlands, traffic studies, fees...
no wonder it's so hard to get anything built.
You got a permit for that?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As with most every season, this one will come down to health. For the Yankees, especially the health of their starting pitching. On paper, a 1-2-3 or Cole, Severino & Taillon is pretty impressive. Any one of those guys has shutout capabilities. I'm concerned that Yanks won't be able to outslug the opposition as they have in years past, so they will more dependent than ever on solid pitching. Should be a fun season, but I pretty much say that every year before the first pitch is thrown.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
As with most every season, this one will come down to health. For the Yankees, especially the health of their starting pitching. On paper, a 1-2-3 or Cole, Severino & Taillon is pretty impressive. Any one of those guys has shutout capabilities. I'm concerned that Yanks won't be able to outslug the opposition as they have in years past, so they will more dependent than ever on solid pitching. Should be a fun season, but I pretty much say that every year before the first pitch is thrown.
and none of ur going to a game while we're in the midst of an epic winning streak, which we will have again.
pepperidge-farm-remembers-5b860b.jpg

i have learned everything aboot this life from cartoons.
and yes, it will be a fun season.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Do we think another trade will happen? Or is DJ going to be a super sub? Are we really just going to hope Severino returns to form?

It feels like cashman has already decided to not go for it this year. By not signing a shortstop or getting a top starter, the Yankees are pretty much the same as last year.

I do think they have better defense, but I don't have a great deal of confidence in their starting pitching and the offense is the same at best.

I guess there is always an option to add pieces mid year if necessary, but to me this feels like a 90 win team with an early exit from the playoffs.

Or am I missing something?

Reaction Score
Do we think another trade will happen? Or is DJ going to be a super sub? Are we really just going to hope Severino returns to form?

It feels like cashman has already decided to not go for it this year. By not signing a shortstop or getting a top starter, the Yankees are pretty much the same as last year.

I do think they have better defense, but I don't have a great deal of confidence in their starting pitching and the offense is the same at best.

I guess there is always an option to add pieces mid year if necessary, but to me this feels like a 90 win team with an early exit from the playoffs.

Or am I missing something?
Doesn't seem like they're gearing up for any major upgrades via trade. Unless they're bluffing, they seem to be high enough on their homegrown shortstop prospects that they didn't want to make a major commitment that might block them from coming to the major league team in the next couple of years.

I think one thing we've seen over the past few seasons, is that the team that takes the field opening day likely won't stay the same for long as injuries come into play. I don't see Donaldson playing 140 games at 3rd at this point in his career. I think there will be plenty of ways to get DJ into the lineup.

Similarly with the pitching, so much will depend on how healthy that rotation stays. Cole has been a workhorse, but none of the other starters gives you any sense of confidence that they'll be able to stay in the rotation throughout the season. If they stay healthy, they have the goods to be an outstanding rotation.

But, at the end of the day, they look like a 90 win team that will make an early exit from the playoffs lol

Reaction Score
My theory:

They'll try really hard to make the playoffs, but if/when they are out of the hunt, they will trade Gallo, Chapman, Britton, Taillon, Green, etc to gain assets and then use those assets to retool the team for 2023. That's part of the season why they didn't go for any of the big FAs this offseason.

If that's the case, I'm OK for it this season.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
My theory:

They'll try really hard to make the playoffs, but if/when they are out of the hunt, they will trade Gallo, Chapman, Britton, Taillon, Green, etc to gain assets and then use those assets to retool the team for 2023. That's part of the season why they didn't go for any of the big FAs this offseason.

If that's the case, I'm OK for it this season.
That makes sense but it's frustrating. It felt like getting a top shortstop (Story or Seager) that can switch to third in a couple years (after Donaldson) made sense. Plus adding a #2 or 3 starter. Add those two pieces and I feel they could have made a serious run without putting up a barrier to the young shortstops.

But that would require opening the checkbook...which doesn't appear to be the current mindset.

Oh well...I guess our strategy this year is "hope". As in...let's hope the starting staff is healthy and pitches to full capability. Seems like a shaky strategy, but it's all we have.

Reaction Score
That makes sense but it's frustrating. It felt like getting a top shortstop (Story or Seager) that can switch to third in a couple years (after Donaldson) made sense. Plus adding a #2 or 3 starter. Add those two pieces and I feel they could have made a serious run without putting up a barrier to the young shortstops.

But that would require opening the checkbook...which doesn't appear to be the current mindset.

Oh well...I guess our strategy this year is "hope". As in...let's hope the starting staff is healthy and pitches to full capability. Seems like a shaky strategy, but it's all we have.
I have just assumed the Yankees won’t do any trades because teams will be asking for Volpe, Dominguez or that other SS prospect they have, it will just be scrap heaps that get acquired hoping you can strike gold. That’s the issue with trying to get a proven number 2-3 pitcher, Cashman loves to hug his prospects. A 4-5 pitcher I could see them making a trade for.

I don’t like the way Luis Gil was handled last year, if a guy gets called up and does the job give him a chance you could easily manage his pitch count, skip a start whatever.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I have just assumed the Yankees won’t do any trades because teams will be asking for Volpe, Dominguez or that other SS prospect they have, it will just be scrap heaps that get acquired hoping you can strike gold. That’s the issue with trying to get a proven number 2-3 pitcher, Cashman loves to hug his prospects. A 4-5 pitcher I could see them making a trade for.

I don’t like the way Luis Gil was handled last year, if a guy gets called up and does the job give him a chance you could easily manage his pitch count, skip a start whatever.
I would feel better about this strategy if the farm system actually produced top talent. Why can Tampa do it year in and year out and the Yankees can't? Especially with pitching. And it's not like they traded away their talent...the prospects they have traded have turned out to be busts or mediocre at best.

I hope they are sitting pat becuase the farm system is that good, but History tells me they will need outside help.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom