The Existential Question to be Answered First | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Existential Question to be Answered First

Reaction Score
Buddy we all want a P5 invite we’ve wanted one forever and it hasn’t arrived. Took a wrong turn at Louisville. If your overall point is that decades of AD incompetence have led us here… no argument there… but being in the Big East doesn’t preclude us one bit from trying to succeed in football. The AAC was the death sentence.
I believe we lost the P5 issue when Senator BloomingIdiot (as AG) sued BC and the ACC. I don't think they forgot. I think the B1G might not invite us because they might think we might not be able member

Reaction Score
I believe we lost the P5 issue when Senator BloomingIdiot (as AG) sued BC and the ACC. I don't think they forgot. I think the B1G might not invite us because they might think we might not be able member

Don't know if this is still a factor but I do believe it was when Louisville rather that UConn went to the ACC.

At the time of the law suit I posted on the CR board some information that I got in a conversation with an SEC official. He told me that bringing in the two Presidents and the ACC commissioner as individuals was looked on by other conferences as shocking. In their opinion, what Bloomie was trying to do was say that these officials had a duty to protect UConn and the OBE that was almost equal to their duty to protect the interests of their own institutions.

Needless to say they found this as totally unacceptable.

Reaction Score
Media market doesn't matter anymore. What matters is how much actual viewer ship the school brings because everything is going to streaming. If cable wasn't dying then yes UConn is attractive because of Hartford-New Haven and it's proximity to NYC and Boston.
This is not accurate. It's still relevant as a measure of eyes balls and advertising value (and the new Big12 will make the point with a $25M a year per school deal). The means of access has only expanded which creates perceived market dilution because the cable traditional network model represented less choice. People don't understand that streaming is an alternate delivery technology and the same effect occurs proportionately across all markets.

Reaction Score
This is not accurate. It's still relevant as a measure of eyes balls and advertising value (and the new Big12 will make the point with a $25M a year per school deal). The means of access has only expanded which creates perceived market dilution because the cable traditional network model represented less choice. People don't understand that streaming is an alternate delivery technology and the same effect occurs proportionately across all markets.
There's no way the new big 12 get $25MM per year

Reaction Score
Don't know if this is still a factor but I do believe it was when Louisville rather that UConn went to the ACC.

At the time of the law suit I posted on the CR board some information that I got in a conversation with an SEC official. He told me that bringing in the two Presidents and the ACC commissioner as individuals was looked on by other conferences as shocking. In their opinion, what Bloomie was trying to do was say that these officials had a duty to protect UConn and the OBE that was almost equal to their duty to protect the interests of their own institutions.

Needless to say they found this as totally unacceptable.
I just hope that the ACC and BC will forgive us. When I heard Bloomie was going to sue, my state Representative was against it. It would be bad blood and it did.

Reaction Score
UConn had several marks against it that all conspired at various times to thwart a move. As a partner with Rutgers, it would have made sense if the B10 had looked at y’all. But I think Delaney had eyes for Tobacco Road and thought Maryland was a better tool to forcing the ACC to open. He gambled and lost.

The Syracuse/Pittsburgh move by the ACC was likely where BC could have roused anti-UConn feelings over the lawsuit. Subbing in Pitt for UConn to not make waves seemed acceptable.

That addition of course opened up Clemson and FSU being able to claim Tobacco Road was too basketball-centric. So with the next expansion of one, they hijacked the process and forced Louisville over UConn despite UConn making more sense. Louisville is one of the great college-crazed metros in the country, and they were willing to open up their wallets to make a good product.

And that gets to the heart of the matter. UConn made the Fiesta Bowl in 2011. But if you asked a normal college fan about that game, and they’ll remember one thing. That UConn sold almost none of their allotted tickets. UConn wasn’t the first or last school to not sell enough, and the storyline is often trotted out when football heavyweights play nouvea-riche. It’s an easy story to write and confirms biases that some programs are better than others. UConn had the misfortune of doing it the same year as realignment hit overdrive. So the last thought many people had of UConn football wasn’t that they made a BCS bowl, but that the fanbase wasn’t there even when they did.

So yes, on some level, moving football to independent status to save basketball while earning less in conference money does have a way of reinforcing the point that UConn is not serious about college football. It may have been the prudent financial move, I don’t know. But sports fans just say “oh, well that makes sense they sacrifice football for basketball.” Its not fair, I mean Wake Forest and Vandy are just kinda grandfathered in without anyone paying much mind. But UConn on the outside had a higher bar to hit. And others just hit it higher.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just hope that the ACC and BC will forgive us. When I heard Bloomie was going to sue, my state Representative was against it. It would be bad blood and it did.

UConn better kiss some a**

Reaction Score

actually you have got that backass ... again

WE lost P5 when BC sniveling their way into the ACC membership. At that point, the Newby State University with no history at that level (but lots of potential as the finest/largest/most successful AD) was locked out - by regional greed and jealousy. The ultimate result though ... I think BC becomes like the French Submarine manufacturer. Just not relevant at some point in the near future. WE are going to Oligarchy; NOT P5. We will have 15 or so Major CFB Brand programs yearning to make ever greater $ ... and BC ain't in that.

We still can have a viable Football Program at a high level. Play regional - the NEW Yankee conference with Army, UMASS, Buffalo, Temple. That is what works. A Clemson or Maryland or Michigan thrown in occasionally.

Reaction Score
They have never invested what is needed.
They've tried, but sadly, many coaches are con artists. All of the coaches we've had so far during the FBS era have egos that outsize the state. They know their pay rate defies logic.

Reaction Score
The cost to get out of the BE is intentionally financially prohibitive because the conference knows we’d move in a second. They also blocked football from moving to a P5 because they were afraid the rest would soon follow. So, we paid $17M to get out of a conference that paid $6M and paid $3.5 Million to get in a conference that pays $4 Million, plus lost the right to move football to a P5 and if we leave the Big East the exit fee is $30 Million. So we invested $20 Million to burnish a sports asset that has limited revenue (BB) potential and cut ourselves off from rebuilding the asset that the market pays value for (FB). I don’t know who in their right mind would cut such a deal. Your local independent business owner would knows better. The smart play would have been enter a P5 for a $7M revenue share for 10 years. That’s how bad a deal it was.

This presumes we had ANY offer for P5. You sir are unhinged.
Basketball is important to us. The move to the Big EAST is hugely supported by our Fanbase. I think Benedict has proven that we can schedule to succeed at this Independent level ... can we throw a decent Football team on the field?

P5 was not going to happen after first BC ... then losing out to Louisville. WE were not going to get taken over Syracuse or Pitt - at that moment. And to huskysupporter ... we would NEVER spend money like a Louisville; so, we were predestined to lose to that kind of player.

The Net. There are gonna be more FBS moving up; nobody is moving down. It will be in our region - I am convinced. Not URI or UNH ... but the CAA level need see the $ available and I think within 5 you will see 3-5 at a higher arc. MAC isn't a great fit for us; as it wasn't for UMASS and ain't for UBuffalo.

Reaction Score
I know everyone on the Boneyard is a huge fan of UConn athletics and academics- as am I.

My question to all- What is the feeling of the average Connecticut resident not invested in UConn football? The men's and and women's BB programs bring tremendous exposure and pride to the state. How does football fit into the equation? Will the state invest and commit to what is required to put a competitive team on the field?

Reaction Score
I know everyone on the Boneyard is a huge fan of UConn athletics and academics- as am I.

My question to all- What is the feeling of the average Connecticut resident not invested in UConn football? The men's and and women's BB programs bring tremendous exposure and pride to the state. How does football fit into the equation? Will the state invest and commit to what is required to put a competitive team on the field?
I think an issue is that UConn and The Rent are far away from the population center of the state in Fairfield County. Add the fact that those in Fairfield County are close to NYC and all that it brings, and UConm football has a tough time competing for awareness, especially when it's historically bad

Reaction Score

15 years ago I would answer that question in the affirmative. After the last decade I am not sure. I believe there is a major portion of the state, Fairfield County, where UConn just does not have the same stature that it enjoys in the rest of the state. Also there are major factions within the University itself that do not believe a strong FB program is consistent with where they would like to be academically. For some reason they see eastern schools as models rather than looking at the mid-west or western public universities as models.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Didn’t seem to be a problem when they were competitive and winning.

Sure, people here would whine about the traffic/travel time but they showed up.

Win and they will come (back)!
winning solves all problems

just win and we'll find a power conference home in 5-10 years. my guess is the ACC will lose two teams to the Big Ten and that's where we'll find our home.

Reaction Score
UConn had several marks against it that all conspired at various times to thwart a move. As a partner with Rutgers, it would have made sense if the B10 had looked at y’all. But I think Delaney had eyes for Tobacco Road and thought Maryland was a better tool to forcing the ACC to open. He gambled and lost.

The Syracuse/Pittsburgh move by the ACC was likely where BC could have roused anti-UConn feelings over the lawsuit. Subbing in Pitt for UConn to not make waves seemed acceptable.

That addition of course opened up Clemson and FSU being able to claim Tobacco Road was too basketball-centric. So with the next expansion of one, they hijacked the process and forced Louisville over UConn despite UConn making more sense. Louisville is one of the great college-crazed metros in the country, and they were willing to open up their wallets to make a good product.

And that gets to the heart of the matter. UConn made the Fiesta Bowl in 2011. But if you asked a normal college fan about that game, and they’ll remember one thing. That UConn sold almost none of their allotted tickets. UConn wasn’t the first or last school to not sell enough, and the storyline is often trotted out when football heavyweights play nouvea-riche. It’s an easy story to write and confirms biases that some programs are better than others. UConn had the misfortune of doing it the same year as realignment hit overdrive. So the last thought many people had of UConn football wasn’t that they made a BCS bowl, but that the fanbase wasn’t there even when they did.

So yes, on some level, moving football to independent status to save basketball while earning less in conference money does have a way of reinforcing the point that UConn is not serious about college football. It may have been the prudent financial move, I don’t know. But sports fans just say “oh, well that makes sense they sacrifice football for basketball.” Its not fair, I mean Wake Forest and Vandy are just kinda grandfathered in without anyone paying much mind. But UConn on the outside had a higher bar to hit. And others just hit it higher.
Jeep, let me correct you on the Fiesta Bowl participation by the fanbase. UConn fans filled at least a quarter of the Stadium, they just didn't buy through the University. UConn only sold a complete package of tickets to the game, airfare, & hotel accommodations & it was at a premium price.
That year, the 1-A National Championship game was also held in Phoenix. Any fan who wished to buy ticket to the Championship was also REQUIRED to by tickets to the Fiesta Bowl & another bowl game held in Sun Devil Stadium. The purchased tickets to the Fiesta Bowl & Sun Devil Bowl were dumped onto the secondary market (e.g. StubHub, Ticketmaster) & sold for pennies on the dollar.
Husky fans (as well as Oklahoma fans) purchased the secondary market tickets, made there own hotel & airfare reservations & saved a bundle.
I was at the game. Husky fans packed the seating from the 50 yard line on the UConn side of the field to the endzone where the UConn Marching Band was seated. There were also fans wearing blue in various other spots in the building

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think an issue is that UConn and The Rent are far away from the population center of the state in Fairfield County. Add the fact that those in Fairfield County are close to NYC and all that it brings, and UConm football has a tough time competing for awareness, especially when it's historically bad

That is the small time thinking. There is literally no one in state of CT that is more than a 2 hour drive to the Rent. For almost every P5 school, a two hour ride to State U's football stadium is considered a short drive.

Reaction Score
Jeep, let me correct you on the Fiesta Bowl participation by the fanbase. UConn fans filled at least a quarter of the Stadium, they just didn't buy through the University. UConn only sold a complete package of tickets to the game, airfare, & hotel accommodations & it was at a premium price.
That year, the 1-A National Championship game was also held in Phoenix. Any fan who wished to buy ticket to the Championship was also REQUIRED to by tickets to the Fiesta Bowl & another bowl game held in Sun Devil Stadium. The purchased tickets to the Fiesta Bowl & Sun Devil Bowl were dumped onto the secondary market (e.g. StubHub, Ticketmaster) & sold for pennies on the dollar.
Husky fans (as well as Oklahoma fans) purchased the secondary market tickets, made there own hotel & airfare reservations & saved a bundle.
I was at the game. Husky fans packed the seating from the 50 yard line on the UConn side of the field to the endzone where the UConn Marching Band was seated. There were also fans wearing blue in various other spots in the building
As I said, that didn’t make the newspapers. They had an angle to write, UConn fit the bill that year, and unfortunately that just happened to be the same year college sports all blew up. Confirmation bias is real and damaging.

Reaction Score
Did Rutgers ever go to BCS? The media just glows about Schiano’s Rutgers and craps on UConn

Reaction Score
2010 UConn maybe wasn't given full credit as an AQ conference champ......UConn was a three way cochamp who went to the BCS on the tie breaker.

In 2010, the Big East had as cochamps, UConn, Pitt, and WVU, all at 8-5.

In 2011, the Big East Champs were WVU, Cincinnati, Louisville...

and 2012, the championship was split between Louisville, Cincinnati, Rutgers, and Syracuse.

There was not a dominant Big East team in those three years.

Reaction Score

I would wager they don’t give UConn football much thought at all.

For both the good and the ill that sentiment implies.

Reaction Score
Didn’t seem to be a problem when they were competitive and winning.

Sure, people here would whine about the traffic/travel time but they showed up.

Win and they will come (back)!
I don't disagree with that. Winning solves a lot of the issues. But I feel that more people would be aware about the program if instead of it playing in Hartford it played in Bridgeport. It just would be visible to a lot more people.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom