The Existential Question to be Answered First | The Boneyard

The Existential Question to be Answered First

Reaction Score
No idea why we make it harder on ourselves. Someone in Storrs needs to wise up this time around.

Reaction Score
No idea why we make it harder on ourselves. Someone in Storrs needs to wise up this time around.
We need to get an invite, no two ways about it. Either ACC or Big Ten, even the Big 12 if it’s still viable. I know Dave Benedict and he is working on it but no one knows when his hard work will bear some fruit. Finding a new coach and the right coach is critical for getting an invite.

Reaction Score
Sell your strengths:
1. FBS Program
2. Public Ivy, Top 25 Public State Flagship
3. High APR and graduation rates

These should be major positives for recruiting and conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
I can only assume that a forward looking guy like DB has been laying the groundwork with the key decision makers and stakeholders to prepare them for this juncture ... over the course of years. The new evolved vision should simply be ratified, everyone's head going up and down, and the pre-agreed upon plan put into motion. They should already know all the answers to the questions posed above. I suppose we get to see the answers and the vision when a new hiring is announced. Either a ringing endorsement from a BY in thrall by the new hire, or a grudging acceptance that Benign Neglect is the UConn football future for the foreseeable term.

Reaction Score
We will never endanger our membership in the Big East. Hoops rules in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Starts with the Board. Then cascades down to the Administration and then the AD. Is the Board ready to make real change?
I mean are they not sick of UCONN being a laughing stock? College football is huge and UCONN gets national negative publicity. Fight back!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Big East is not the Big East of old. Yeah, lets hang on to our rivalies with DePaul, Creighton, Xavier and Butler. Those are must see games. Puke. If the opportunity comes along, drop the Big East quickly.
For what alternatives? Big Ten, in a heartbeat. ACC? Definitely. Little 12, meh, I'm not so sure.

But here's the thing none of those invites seem particularly likely, do they?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The Big 12 contract comes up in 2025 and there is no way they continue to get the money they were getting from Fox with Oklahoma and Texas gone.

Big Ten and the ACC are the only leagues I would go to if I am UConn.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
"So without a conference affiliation and with rising admission requirement demands, turning UConn football into a legitimate D-I program remains a Sisyphean task"
Step 2 to the rebuild, or maybe step 1 to help attract the next coach, is to loosen the requirements a little. I'm not suggesting we become Louisville CC, but I would have to imagine a slight loosening would surely help us.
How come I never hear about the admission standards being an issue for hoops?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The folks paying the bills wanted Edsall. How good could their Plan B be? It's all on Dave.

Reaction Score
Sell your strengths:
1. FBS Program
2. Public Ivy, Top 25 Public State Flagship
3. High APR and graduation rates

These should be major positives for recruiting and conference affiliation.
Yes, albeit not new balanced with some admissions flexibility. Clearly, incoming coaches will "need to execute better" than the recent retiree, wacko, and pasqualoni.

Reaction Score
Who the hell decides to name a child "Barth"?
I am clearly not following the speculation closely enough. To me, who they get to coach will be a great fit for the vision. Thus, the vision question interests me and the actual coach hire not so much other than it will help to define what they have in mind for UConn FB.

Which is a long way of saying, who the hell is Barth?

Reaction Score
I can only assume that a forward looking guy like DB has been laying the groundwork with the key decision makers and stakeholders to prepare them for this juncture ... over the course of years. The new evolved vision should simply be ratified, everyone's head going up and down, and the pre-agreed upon plan put into motion. They should already know all the answers to the questions posed above. I suppose we get to see the answers and the vision when a new hiring is announced. Either a ringing endorsement from a BY in thrall by the new hire, or a grudging acceptance that Benign Neglect is the UConn football future for the foreseeable term.
This. We have reached the inflection point. We will soon know the future direction of the UConn football program based on the resources (aka $$$) they decide to invest in the new staff.

Reaction Score
I am clearly not following the speculation closely enough. To me, who they get to coach will be a great fit for the vision. Thus, the vision question interests me and the actual coach hire not so much other than it will help to define what they have in mind for UConn FB.

Which is a long way of saying, who the hell is Barth?
Did you not read the article?...

Reaction Score
We need to get an invite, no two ways about it. Either ACC or Big Ten, even the Big 12 if it’s still viable. I know Dave Benedict and he is working on it but no one knows when his hard work will bear some fruit. Finding a new coach and the right coach is critical for getting an invite.
Dave Benedict is working on it? That’s a good one. He threw the football program into the dumpster - opting to join the Big East. Horrendously short sighted move.

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict is working on it? That’s a good one. He threw the football program into the dumpster - opting to join the Big East. Horrendously short sighted move.
First things first. He had to take care of men’s basketball which was not doing well in recruiting while in the AAC. He fixed that in one fell swoop by joining the NBE. Among other things, if we were still in the AAC Donavan Clingan would have gone to Michigan. Recruiting for Hurley has picked up a lot since our entrance into the NBE. The next move for football is two or three years away.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Dave Benedict is working on it? That’s a good one. He threw the football program into the dumpster - opting to join the Big East. Horrendously short sighted

This take is laughable

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom