The Existential Question to be Answered First | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Existential Question to be Answered First

Reaction Score
We beat Wyoming this weekend. Absolutely no one expects this outcome. It will be like the game against Houston in 2015.
Houston was from the hot humid south, and the the game at the Rent was in freezing rain and sleet. And Houton took UConn lightly. Wyoming I suspect is not going to feel out of place in the sun. 75 F, and humidity in the 50's. Even it they take UConn lightly, by the half they will have covered the spread. What happens when Wyoming puts in their 2's and 3's is anyone's guess, but personally I won't be excited if UConn scores 21 points. Not having Wyoming covering the spread by the end of the half would be cause for minor satisfaction.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Accept an invitation to the MAC, that’s were we are right now, we need to stop embarrassing ourselves no matter what’s schools are paying to beat us to death, it’s all an unfortunate reality we ain’t never ever never gonna be what we once were.. NEVER

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Existential question??

What happened to Ellington?

I mean it used to be rolling farm land with a combination of some cattle for dairy and corn. Nice place, smelled weird. All gentrified now with homes and cars.

Will Ellington ever get back its charm?

Reaction Score
Houston was from the hot humid south, and the the game at the Rent was in freezing rain and sleet. And Houton took UConn lightly. Wyoming I suspect is not going to feel out of place in the sun. 75 F, and humidity in the 50's. Even it they take UConn lightly, by the half they will have covered the spread. What happens when Wyoming puts in their 2's and 3's is anyone's guess, but personally I won't be excited if UConn scores 21 points. Not having Wyoming covering the spread by the end of the half would be cause for minor satisfaction.
I was at that game. It was not freezing rain and sleet, it was a nice balmy fall evening. Sherrifs got his head wacked and Tim Boyle took over. The trick play to our QB turned TE for a TD was awesome. We stormed the field. When's the last time that happened?
1632290068603.png

Reaction Score
I was at that game. It was not freezing rain and sleet, it was a nice balmy fall evening. Sherrifs got his head wacked and Tim Boyle took over. The trick play to our QB turned TE for a TD was awesome. We stormed the field. When's the last time that happened?
View attachment 69872
I stand corrected. I was thinking of the UCF game in the afternoon. Thats not gonna happen this Saturday though.

Reaction Score
Existential question??

I mean it used to be rolling farm land with a combination of some cattle for dairy and corn. Nice place, smelled weird. All gentrified now with homes and cars.

Once gentrified, always gentrified. Forever. Unless, of course your name is Bartholomew which you shorten to Barth for everyday usage. In that case, beauty is in the beholder and Ellington never lost its charm.

Ellington has not lost its dairy smell, however. I base this on data I collected last year on a trip to visit the business that installed our new septic system.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Accept an invitation to the MAC, that’s were we are right now, we need to stop embarrassing ourselves no matter what’s schools are paying to beat us to death, it’s all an unfortunate reality we ain’t never ever never gonna be what we once were.. NEVER
Wow. Apparently Grammar is the lady who married your Grampa.
Thank you for your interest in UConn Athletics.

Reaction Score
Existential question??

Second round of white flight happened.

Reaction Score
So a hypothetical ACC invite comes and you think we decline? Ooooookayyyy…
The cost to get out of the BE is intentionally financially prohibitive because the conference knows we’d move in a second. They also blocked football from moving to a P5 because they were afraid the rest would soon follow. So, we paid $17M to get out of a conference that paid $6M and paid $3.5 Million to get in a conference that pays $4 Million, plus lost the right to move football to a P5 and if we leave the Big East the exit fee is $30 Million. So we invested $20 Million to burnish a sports asset that has limited revenue (BB) potential and cut ourselves off from rebuilding the asset that the market pays value for (FB). I don’t know who in their right mind would cut such a deal. Your local independent business owner would knows better. The smart play would have been enter a P5 for a $7M revenue share for 10 years. That’s how bad a deal it was.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not sure how you can say the smart play was P5 when it wasn’t on the table. I'm not able to double check the math above but I don’t think the math and terms worked out like that (@huskymedic )

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict is working on it? That’s a good one. He threw the football program into the dumpster - opting to join the Big East. Horrendously short sighted move.
Do you believe in this latest round of realignment uconn would have been invited to Big XII based on previous performance? If your answer is no, the next question is, would you rather be in the Big East with a decent independent schedule for football, or would you still like to be in the AAC where the most attractive teams left are Memphis, Temple, and Navy?

Reaction Score
The cost to get out of the BE is intentionally financially prohibitive because the conference knows we’d move in a second. They also blocked football from moving to a P5 because they were afraid the rest would soon follow. So, we paid $17M to get out of a conference that paid $6M and paid $3.5 Million to get in a conference that pays $4 Million, plus lost the right to move football to a P5 and if we leave the Big East the exit fee is $30 Million. So we invested $20 Million to burnish a sports asset that has limited revenue (BB) potential and cut ourselves off from rebuilding the asset that the market pays value for (FB). I don’t know who in their right mind would cut such a deal. Your local independent business owner would knows better. The smart play would have been enter a P5 for a $7M revenue share for 10 years. That’s how bad a deal it was.
Thank you for this - I was trying to say the same thing but I think you definitely did it more coherently, lol. Still depresses me when I read it though.

I let myself have hope with football - “maybe they will pay head coach more”, “maybe they will increase assistant coaching salary pool”. If you read your above numbers - what would give me any impression that AD Dave and the BoT will okay spending what is needed on football?

Reaction Score
This is like the start of the monologue of every psychotic in every movie I’ve ever seen. “Don’t you see? People are emotionally weak. Can’t handle pain….”
Sounds like a post game presser by Randy Edsall after a loss.

Reaction Score
Do you believe in this latest round of realignment uconn would have been invited to Big XII based on previous performance? If your answer is no, the next question is, would you rather be in the Big East with a decent independent schedule for football, or would you still like to be in the AAC where the most attractive teams left are Memphis, Temple, and Navy?
It’s a tough question - not the would I rather be in the NBE because the answer is absolutely not.

the tough question is whether UCONN would be invited. In order to have been invited UCONN would have had to invested in their football program for the last decade plus. Which, as we know hasn’t happened. BYU no brainer for Big 12. I don’t see why UCONN wouldn’t be strongly considered due to media market, strong basketball program, and investment (which never happened) in football.

Reaction Score
It’s a tough question - not the would I rather be in the NBE because the answer is absolutely not.

the tough question is whether UCONN would be invited. In order to have been invited UCONN would have had to invested in their football program for the last decade plus. Which, as we know hasn’t happened. BYU no brainer for Big 12. I don’t see why UCONN wouldn’t be strongly considered due to media market, strong basketball program, and investment (which never happened) in football.
Tens of millions have been spent on UConn football. Stop being freaking emo. Or find a new hobby.

Reaction Score
I assume it must be a term for a northeastern public university at a certain level...

Michigan and UVA are the two that always come to my mind first when the term Public Ivy is used.

Reaction Score
Starts with the Board. Then cascades down to the Administration and then the AD. Is the Board ready to make real change?
Hopefully the board will be on board with a young coach. I'm not looking for the second coming of Bear or JoePa, but someone who will put an offense that isn't offensive to fans. It's boring to see run, run, pass punt. We need a coach who'll make the fans stay until the end. I want a defense that will be a terror to opposing teams.

Reaction Score

Media market doesn't matter anymore. What matters is how much actual viewer ship the school brings because everything is going to streaming. If cable wasn't dying then yes UConn is attractive because of Hartford-New Haven and it's proximity to NYC and Boston.

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict is working on it? That’s a good one. He threw the football program into the dumpster - opting to join the Big East. Horrendously short sighted move.
DB saw that the AAC is not doing anything for the basketball teams, so to save it he moved back to the BE. DB knew the AAC was also bad for football, UConn Tulane is blah UConn Syracuse or UConn BC is what fans want. We are playing Clemson and Ohio State, DB will get a coach who'll make UConn into a top 50 football school....

Reaction Score
These payouts typically get negotiated down. Then the payments are not typically one time but spread over years. If the me payments received are greater then what you are paying out then it makes cents particularly long term.

Reaction Score

I believe the freezing rain was a different game, I remember trying to stay covered for that one. The game against Houston I recall sitting behind our bench and the weather was nice. I’ve checked the historical weather information for that date and it was 52 and sunny In Hartford.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom