The Dunk & Women's Basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Dunk & Women's Basketball

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I told my high school age daughter half jokingly to forget about college......the most profitable career she could ever have would be as the owner of a chain of tattoo removal shops
I've told friends I'm amazed there's still robberies going on. How do these guys make a getaway with their pants falling around their ankles?

Let's not forget the future looks bright for audiologists (most under 30's already have moderate hearing loss from overly loud headphones), osteopathic medicine (bad hips and backs from waddling like ducks. Bad necks from looking down at their phones all the time), and general medical care as that ink is slowly sipped into their bodies through their blood streams. This of course shortening a lifespan that is already the first to be shorter than their parents.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This conveniently came up at the end of the clip featuring Monique Billings in another thread. Alleged top 10 dunks by women.

Just can't throw it down w/ the explosiveness and power that men do. I absolutely do not watch women's basketball to see dunking. If you do, you are wasting your time.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I just hope certain players on the UCONN WBB team dont read this thread :confused:

JordyG

Reaction Score
I just hope certain players on the UCONN WBB team dont read this thread :confused:
And which one is in danger of dunking and will now avoid rim rocking because of our majority opinion? How will the majority opinion here that shooting, passing, boxing out etc. is more important than check me out dunks affect their play and the play of future Husky's? How many current or future Husky's have so many tattoo's that one more and they're officially Japanese Manga?

Reaction Score
no doubt that there are highly ranked players that find Geno's strict rules regarding tattoos, social media etc. a turn off..............that's one of the reason's players end up at Maryland, Louisville and South Carolina...............I've heard that Dawn and Jeff have offered to pay to send Geno on a long religious retreat in the Italian Alps so that he could hear daily fire and brimstone sermons ..........:rolleyes:

JordyG

Reaction Score
no doubt that there are highly ranked players that find Geno's strict rules regarding tattoos, social media etc. a turn off....that's one of the reason's players end up at Maryland, Louisville and South Carolina.....I've heard that Dawn and Jeff have offered to pay to send Geno on a long religious retreat in the Italian Alps so that he could hear daily fire and brimstone sermons .....:rolleyes:
I've heard, though it's not confirmed, that Brenda Frese has offered to deliver them. An eternal pre game and halftime speech.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
what fans... that the problem with the Womens game, lack of fans and others are thinking dunking would bring some more.

UConn's attendance has declined over the years and you'd think with 4 straight titles it would be the "greatest show on earth". Lets not fool ourselves and act like WCBB fans are packing arenas coast to coast
Have a Dunking contest in October, and see how many fans show up.

Reaction Score
The Huskies don't fill the seats at Gampel & the XL Center not because they've lost fans but because the recent policies of the Athletic Dept. & Ticket Office have turned long time season ticket holders off and they'd rather watch the games at home than pay through the nose because THEY"RE UCONN FANS! There are hundreds of fans that have been screwed and just became fed up to pay the high prices!
1. The policy to sell 3 game packages to either Gampel or XL for $15.00 a game or $45.00 a package without a donation, while season ticket holders are paying $20.00 a game and must donate over $200.00 to get seats!
2. I have friends that were huge contributors for years and had prime seats at both Gampel & H.C.C. then he retired as a big time lawyer and they cut their donation way down and each year they got moved back up off the floor till they had upper Gampel and LL at H.C.C.! He called the ticket office to find out why he was being moved back and was told, "If you don't like the G-D D--N. seats don't get them we have a 1,000 people waiting for them" and the guy hung up on him! That was the end of season tickets!
3. The Arena at Harbour Yard in Bridgeport charging 3x to 4x the cost of comparable seats at Gampel or XL and raising parking from $5.00 to $20.00 for the UCONN game there!
4. The Big East Conference Tournament at Rutgers was about $50.00 for all-tournament tickets then they moved to the XL and Lou Perkins (in his last year there) was asked what should we charge for the Tournament tickets and he said charge whatever you want UCONN fans will pay anything for their Huskies and prices went way up! After 3 years of attendance down to 3,000 to 5,000 they lowered the cost to the present $99.00 all games!
5. The first & 2nd rounds and Regional tickets being priced 2x to 3x higher than any other areas/Regional because UCONN was there! Now lower prices.
6. When I started in 1998 getting season tickets UCONN couldn't do enough for their season ticket holders. Meet the player end-of-season banquets with a free meal and stuff at Regional Sites! Now they charge big dough for everything!
7. This year ALL sports season ticket holders are being charged an extra $20.00 a person for surcharge on "fixing the fields fee"! To raise money to upgrade the Soccer/Field Hockey/Baseball etc. fields!
These are just a few of the things that have turned off the fans over the years!
More dunking isn't going to bring the fans back!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
close to 400, 000 views... looking at Our Girls

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
our darling Maya goes wild over Glory's dunk

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
our most recent darling Stewie seems to be enjoying herself before her days at UConn

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Those are some weak dunks...... my friend's 15 son can dunk better than that... and he's just 5'7 at the most. Point being...... women aren't capable of doing any highlight reel type dunk that would wow the average crowd.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Those are some weak dunks. my friend's 15 son can dunk better than that... and he's just 5'7 at the most. Point being. women aren't capable of doing any highlight reel type dunk that would wow the average crowd.
thats why it shouldnt even be a discussion on the WCBB board... and why posters are so much in a uproar about dunking and it turning into the mens game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No UCONN WBB is going to dunk during a game as long as Geno is HC! No matter what he says his players won't dunk!
Tina, Maya, Stewie, and others dunked in practice but never during a game because dunking is the biggest "look at me in BB and UCONN is the anti look at me program!

Reaction Score
thats why it shouldnt even be a discussion on the WCBB board... and why posters are so uch in a uproar about dunking and it turning into the mens game.
Thank you. Geez. Maybe folks need to get a grip. Talking about women players dunking is like talking about dogs dancing on their hind legs. What's surprising is not that they don't do it well. What's surprising is that they do it at all.

In the case of women basketball players, dunking is unusual enough that a player who wants to try it in a game has to really think about the strategy. DO you do it to be "in your face" to the other team? Will that rile up the other team, which then stages a comeback? Do you do it when your team is safely ahead? Because what if you miss? Do you really want to be on someone's highlight reel as a lowlight? All this stuff rattles around in their heads -- with good reason -- and they decide a layup -- maybe a fancy one, like a reverse, but a layup nonetheless -- is the right call. And you know what? It is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No UCONN WBB is going to dunk during a game as long as Geno is HC! No matter what he says his players won't dunk!
Tina, Maya, Stewie, and others dunked in practice but never during a game because dunking is the biggest "look at me in BB and UCONN is the anti look at me program!
There's an interesting point. Totally agree that the program is run in such a way that players never try to draw attention to themselves. But it's interesting, isn't, that at the end of the year, when the accolades occur, UConn players get more than their share. They are on plenty of highlight reels and All-American rosters. Maybe that Geno guy is onto something.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Most of the people in this thread

16031eeb5aeef03cccc53a5a2aee6871b628e8dc849f1e4699fd5f90b8f41a0d.jpg

Reaction Score
Every year or so this subject comes up, and I tend to say the same thing every time. So if you've heard it before (and even less likely, remembered it), please forgive me.

The game of women's college basketball is played primarily below the rim. This is because most players cannot play above the rim and the few who can tend not to, for a variety of reasons. A major reason that I gravitated to WCBB about 20 years ago was precisely because it was played below the rim. I found that when the game was played well (as in UConn WCBB), it was much more enjoyable than the type of basketball played by the men, which I see as a marriage of Rollerball and the WWE.

Now, I have no illusions about my feelings about dunking. Dunking is a proxy for the many things I do not like about men's basketball: The chest-thumping "It's all about me" attitude of most players. The quick trip from freshman year in college to the pros, and the accompanying lack of basketball and educational experience that results (It is said that one of the top NBA players has asserted that the world is flat. I cannot prove that he said it, but iI absolutely believe he could have). The body-as-human-billboard tattooing. The fact that actual plays involving multiple players have been replaced with (as Johnny Most would say) fiddlin' and diddlin'.

If a fan wants to watch this stuff, fine. It's not for me. Fortunately, as I was making up my mind about all these things, I discovered UConn WCBB. When done correctly, having to play below the rim creates a game whose beauty is unsurpassed. An occasional dunk or two will not change that, but dunks as a regular part of the game will, IMHO, ruin the game. Once you get over the novelty of a woman dunking, the fact of a dunk is NOT, repeat NOT more exciting for the fans. It will reduce the team's reliance on those wonderful plays that cause us to "ooh" and "aah." It will fundamentally change the game in ways that will not be an improvement.

It is hard for me to believe, but I think there are people out there who are convinced that as many people would watch the women's game as the men's if only the women could be more like the men. If only they could dunk. If only they could be more athletic. I believe that those folks, and they include many WCBB coaches and officials, are wrong, because the more the women's game resembles the men's, the more the new fans will see it as a weak substitute for the men's game, and they will be right.,

WCBB needs to be a different game. It needs to preserve the things the fans love about it. I know I am in the minority here, but it would not bother me at all if the sport banned dunking. Let the Laeticia Amiheres of the world focus their energy on perfecting their basic skills and on teamwork. WCBB, played correctly, is smart. It needs to stay that way.
right on ...there is real basketball and then there is the game that the men play(boring one on one ) simple truth which takes more skill a three point shot or a dunk!

Reaction Score
right on ...there is real basketball and then there is the game that the men play(boring one on one ) simple truth which takes more skill a three point shot or a dunk!

depends how tall you are..................:confused:

JordyG

Reaction Score
depends how tall you are...:confused:
Frankly I've seen a bunch of under 6 footers in men's and women's ball over the years dunk in contests and at practice but rarely if ever (and I don't remember ever) in game. If someone cares to correct or aprise me?

Reaction Score
no doubt that there are highly ranked players that find Geno's strict rules regarding tattoos, social media etc. a turn off....that's one of the reason's players end up at Maryland, Louisville and South Carolina.....I've heard that Dawn and Jeff have offered to pay to send Geno on a long religious retreat in the Italian Alps so that he could hear daily fire and brimstone sermons .....:rolleyes:

Well Dawn also makes the players deactivate all of their social media accounts during the season. She has been doing it for years now and the players buy in and have less distractions from other fans bases and via social media.

As far as Tattoos go I know quite a few of them have them. Sometimes their covered up other times their not. But I'm sure Dawn hasn't put a restriction on them or turn down a recruit because she's covered in ink.

Reaction Score
Frankly I've seen a bunch of under 6 footers in men's and women's ball over the years dunk in contests and at practice but rarely if ever (and I don't remember ever) in game. If someone cares to correct or aprise me?

Spudd Webb 5'7" Check out #'s 8,6,5,2,1

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom