Tennessee Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know nobody wants to hear it, but she is soft.
Yes, a bit soft, but so many seem to forget Dorka is recovering from a broken thumb. Usually takes a year or so to fully heal so happy she is out there. Not her best game, but when everything was on the line at the end of the game, she made some key shots and stole the ball at a critical moment. I'm happy to make the tradeoffs.

Reaction Score
Terrific win on the road against a good team and playing essentially only 6 players. A total of 11 minutes from the bench and no points. I’m not sure many teams or any teams can do that.

Players get tired, they make mistakes and that is why we have stretches of bad basketball. It would be better if NM, Lou and AE could play 32 minutes and AG and DJ around 22-25. Fatigue is real and it shows up more on the road. I think DJ is affected the most by this.

AE was great again. She needs to be careful coming across the lane and getting the offensive foul. She has been prone to this for almost 3 years now. Wish she could have gotten a few more rebounds. I hope she can play as strong or stronger against SC. That will be her litmus test.

DJ – good game. Hit some shots, made some good passes, rebounded (wish she could have had more) and made good decisions. She does play smaller than her size however. Brings the ball down, can’t finish in traffic. Doesn’t look weak but often plays that way. I don’t think this will change. Still a good player but may not have a good game against SC. Need her to player stronger.

NM – terrific game against a team that clearly has superior physical talent than her. TN is long and quick. But there aren’t many teams that can put a 6’1 player on NM. She could have come close to 20 assists in this game – I’m sure she had more than TN had in total. Has a great knack of finding open players in a split second and with pinpoint passing. Loved how she didn’t back down when TN got chippy with her. I think she gets tired and trapping and making her work for 40 minutes takes its toll. Had some lapses on D, but who doesn’t when you play the entire game. TN has some good players and they are going to win some possessions too. Has a great deal of responsibility, and say what you want, but we scored 84 points on the road against a good team that is an even better defensive team. NM had a hand in close to half those points. Throw in 4 rebounds and 4 steals – just a really good, tough BB player.

Lou – wow, hope this is a sign that she is still ascending as a player and not just a one off hot night. She did this against a good team on the road – almost like D did many years ago. Wish she could fill up the stat sheet on something else, but if she can score like this, I’m pretty happy with that.

AG – another solid game – all over the place. Showed she is getting more comfy shooting the outside shot – even when she misses, it looks good coming out of her hands. More of a chess piece type of player but forced to play almost the entire game. One player that doesn’t seem to ever wear down however. She makes a huge difference on defense and rebounding the ball at a smaller size.

AP – still waiting for the breakout game. Happy with her energy but expecting a bit more.

You got to love this win and our players' efforts in this game.
I'm confused. Lou has been one of our best offensive threats (AE being the other) all season long, scoring in double figures every game she has played. Not sure why you think this may be a one-off. Also, she's a designated shooter. She's not going to have NM's assists or DJ's rebounds. She's doing her primary job very well, as is NM.

Reaction Score
Dorka had a broken wrist followed by a broken thumb. Probably not as strong as she’d like to be, but she was getting hacked every rebound. It was a very physical game against a very tall and long team. She probably would like a few shots back too.
Agreed, rebounding was a problem! Luckily shooting 3's wasn't!
Geno's right about needing to make more layups!
This was an important test for UCONN at Tenn., their height, and Horston's shooting ability is a good test for when you play against other tall teams with a good shooting guard like Stanford and South Carolina!

Reaction Score
Women's basketball this year has had more fights break out then I ever remember, and it just seems refs need to step it up from the beginning, nationwide to keep a lid on it!

Reaction Score
Tennessee just demolished us on the offensive boards. They got to the basket a lot and were in a position to get the rebounds. We are more of an outside shooting team. We have to hit our shots to win against top competition.
We played a zone very often in which you lose responsibility for your player in man to man. This allows more rebounding penetration for the offense. When you have an all-gang rebounding game plan we were nearly overwhelmed on the boards. Despite this Nika in particular, late in game, came up with a number of tied-up balls or quickly sprinted out of the scum heading downcourt with the ball. She has a rebounding nose few possess.

Reaction Score
Is there a better shooter in the country? Lou is so unique in that in addition to being a lights out 3-point shooter, she has one of the best midrange games in the US, gets lots of layups on cuts to the basket, and has the basketball IQ to manufacture shots even when seemingly guarded.
You normally don't see this much disparity between top teams, but UConn come out well prepared for Tenn, the Volunteers not so much. All those q1 UConn layups didn't happen by accident. Great job of scouting by the UConn coaches. Suspect Kelly Harper learned a coaching lesson last night about preparing for UConn.
Amazed at the composure of the UConn team, Nika and Edwards in particular. I don't know how Edwards can play such a physical game and still seem so composed, letting the game at both ends of the court come to her.

Reaction Score
Co
A great road test with the Huskies surviving a hostile crowd and questionable officiating. Probably their best win of the year.

Not a bad game for a four year player from Fairfield.
:)

Horston has not played at anywhere near the level that she played tonight. She looked like a first round pick.

I agree completely with what Geno said to Holly Rowe.

The Huskies giving up 23+ offensive rebounds. When was the last time that happened?

Aaliyah did nothing but enhance her All-American status.

Dorka needed a game like this. She just wasn’t as aggressive underneath as she normally is.

Was happy with the minutes Ayanna was able to give them.

Geno may not agree at this moment but this game needs to played. Too much intensity to ignore.

Great win. Back to the league.
Completely agree about Horston, has to be mental with her, cause she displayed she has the talent to be one of the best in the country.
Too bad she didn't chose UCONN which recruited her, cause I think she would have had a better career with UCONN under Geno!

Reaction Score
We played a zone very often in which you lose responsibility for your player in man to man. This allows more rebounding penetration for the offense. When you have an all-gang rebounding game plan we were nearly overwhelmed on the boards. Despite this Nika in particular, late in game, came up with a number of tied-up balls or quickly sprinted out of the scum heading downcourt with the ball. She has a rebounding nose few possess.
Rebounding is a problem against the taller teams cause they're more likely to stay close to the basket, so you need your bigs to shoot well, and in the second UCONN bigs didn't shoot well, plus the turnovers came at the same time!
We'll see a repeat of this against SC and if we don't shoot well, it won't be pretty!
UCONN's big advantage is if Azzi and Caroline can come back healthy, 3 great outside shooters no other top team has, really opens up the inside for our bigs!

Reaction Score
Really all she need do is, as most teams that have any success against UConn this year, is pressure the guards (Nika) on the perimeter with length or speed, and force the offense to start further out and above the nail. By the time the posts can set on the block or under the basket it's so late in the clock that the offense either needed to hurry, which led to bad passes and poor sets for the forwards, or they just went one on one, the results of which were horrible in the 2nd period. Dawn won't need to gum up the handoffs too much, not at first anyway. Note how few handoffs UConn had this game and how few real post entries. UConn however responded well in the 2nd half by having one forward set better screens off the arc for the guards, and the cutters set more false screens moving toward the basket then ran out for down screens which got Lou open. UConn also used Nika's ability to get out into space better out of the defensive end in the second half. Dorka's inability to work any pick and roll off her smaller mark was very discouraging to me though. Glad to see you check in though.
I agree. I meant a cause and effect. Pressuring the guards and the screens will accomplish screwing up the handoffs and taking away the entry passes. Forcing the offense out so high will often leave them with bad shots trying to beat the shot clock as you say. Maybe UConn can play good defense, keep it a close, low scoring game and try to steal it late.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
RE: giving up offensive rebounds

nika should give lessons to her teammates. all year i've noticed that she's a beast on the boards. even though she's shorter than everyone other than inez (disproving some BYers' fetishism about height, BTW}. all this while her other duties take priority over clearing the glass.

why? because she does a great job blocking out and desires the ball ... she fights for it and holds onto it; nobody ever yanks it from her hands once she latches onto it. she has passion when she attacks the boards. admittedly, this sacrifices defense against the foes' running game, but when the team is getting overwhelmed by offensive rebounds, it's a worthwhile gamble. if her teammates were more effective preventing second-chance points -- blocking out and fighting for the 'bound -- her efforts wouldn't be so notable, or needed. it ain't her primary job!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I just wish he hadn't said the bit about "what do you expect when you come down here." That was unnecessary. If he wants to go off on the refs have at it, though it's not a great look, but there's no need to insinuate there's some impropriety about playing "down there."
Hmmm, well there are things that happen down there......remember Rutgers and the clock controversy?

Reaction Score
I agree. I meant a cause and effect. Pressuring the guards and the screens will accomplish screwing up the handoffs and taking away the entry passes. Forcing the offense out so high will often leave them with bad shots trying to beat the shot clock as you say. Maybe UConn can play good defense, keep it a close, low scoring game and try to steal it late.
I agree on this strategy as a good one to stop some of UConn's game, but this year, unlike others, Huskies have a midrange game and the ability to drive to the basket. Boston is still one of the best in the country, but when we play SC, this year she will never have played someone as strong as her. Predict Boston still has a strong game, but Edwards has been as disruptive on defense as offense and will be a handful to guard while at the same time shutting down UConn's 3-point shooters, Lou in particular.

Reaction Score
A great road test with the Huskies surviving a hostile crowd and questionable officiating. Probably their best win of the year.

Not a bad game for a four year player from Fairfield.
:)

Horston has not played at anywhere near the level that she played tonight. She looked like a first round pick.

I agree completely with what Geno said to Holly Rowe.

The Huskies giving up 23+ offensive rebounds. When was the last time that happened?

Aaliyah did nothing but enhance her All-American status.

Dorka needed a game like this. She just wasn’t as aggressive underneath as she normally is.

Was happy with the minutes Ayanna was able to give them.

Geno may not agree at this moment but this game needs to played. Too much intensity to ignore.

Great win. Back to the league.
I too agree 100% with what Coach Geno said to Ms. Rowe, But I did not like how he spoke to her and that he didn't apologize to her later on TV. Maybe he did say something to her off the camera but I do believe he owes her a good one on one interview.

Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Those who watched and sweated through this game know that it was tight and tense for most of the game. But those who look only at the final score will see a 17-point blowout. I wonder if this score will influence next week's rankings, much as the downward influence we got from beating Georgetown by "only" 15 points a couple of weeks ago, after leading that game by a much greater margin until garbage time in the 4th quarter..

The box score was most revealing. Only 2 UConn players went to the foul line the entire game -- our two bigs. And Aaliyah and Dorka came through big-time at the line. Aaliyah's foul shooting this year has been a big part of her transition from last year.

We really got wiped out on the offensive boards, and barely held our own on the D-boards. We often got our hands on a lot of rebounds, but couldn't hold on. IMO, there were two reasons for this.

-- First, we often didn't box out the shooter, and were out-hustled to the rebound. That's usually a sign of fatigue, a direct result of our short roster. Probably more energy is expended in boxing out and fighting for rebounding position than any other aspect of the game.

-- Second, there's been some criticism of Dorka for failing to hold onto rebounds. I think we ought to give some credit for this to Tennessee's scouting. They were obviously aware that Dorka has been somewhat handicapped from her broken wrist and thumb, and they took advantage of that knowledge by aggressively contesting every rebound she grabbed.

Finally, I think coaching -- often considered one of those "intangibles" in the pre-game prognostication -- played a big role in the outcome of this game. Geno, with his 5 studs, out-coached Kellie, with her full bench. He had 4 of his starters in foul trouble, but none fouled out. Had any one of them fouled out, it could have turned the game.

Reaction Score
My biggest takeaway - I've never seen this year's team so focused. The 2 losses came in very hostile road environments, where their shooting, ball-handling, defense, stamina, etc. was altered & just wasn't where it needed to be for 40 minutes to win. Tonight showed a lot of growth in all areas. The team was able to shoot at a very good % throughout the game, and when things got tight in the 2nd-quarter, they were able to overcome it. A great mental and physical step forward.

Reaction Score
I would guess Kellie Harper, if she didn't have any appreciation of Nika 's game prior to this, certainly does after last night. I'm sure a part of her pregame strategy was to make Nika and Aubrey take shots. Nika accepted the challenge at the get go and much to Kellie's chagrin she hit a couple and then we were off to the races. Kind of blew up the Vols defensive gameplay. Couple that with the fact that, I would guess, Kellie hoped to get both Nika and Aaliyah to lose their cool at some point and get into foul trouble - that didn't happen either!

Those two have matured in their game tremendously since their freshman campaigns. Both know their roles and how important it is to the team that they bring their A games (in Aaliyah's case AA) every outing and that they need to be on the floor for nearly every minute of every game. As Geno has said, dialing back her intensity and staying out of foul trouble is against ever part of Nika's nature but she has reinvented herself to be exactly what the team needs. She's like a volcano, with bubbling lava seeping out the cracks that can erupt at any moment. The fire is always churning within her. Her intensity has been contagious to the point that it has become a large part of the team identity.

Gotta note here what an absolute terror Lou has become. My goodness, she came here as a phenomenal scorer and will leave here as a tremendous all around basketball player. She now has an unquenchable fire that can burn any team she faces. Her ability to relentlessly find the bottom of the net under constant defensive pressure is remarkable and she has developed an intensity on both ends that I don't think was fully realized at Fairfield. She is going to make some lucky WNBA squad a way better team next season.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Something interesting happened during the live action last night. When I am watching the game on my TV, I also watch the live stats on my phone. Normally, the live stats are a few seconds (usually about10) ahead of the video. However, last night it was the opposite, the ESPN video was at least 10-15 seconds ahead of the stats. It was an interesting change to my viewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom