Tennessee Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Tennessee game:
  • These are the games that players come to UConn to be a part of: Tennessee, on the road in front of a big crowd, and on national TV. The game was physical and maybe a little chippy, but the Huskies came out on top, and I'll take it.
  • It’s been a long time, if ever, when UConn started a BIG GAME on the road with a first qtr like tonight’s game in Knoxville. 71% from the floor, 60% from the arc, 10 assists, 4 steals, 0 turnovers & 33 points!!!!!
  • Unfortunately, UConn was not able to maintain their 1st qtr production. The second qtr started as a bit of a turnover competition as both teams initially struggled to take care of the ball. But the LV’s picked up their effort at both ends of the court, got to the FT line a bunch and closed to within 4 at the half.
  • Lou & Aaliyah both with one HUGE basket after another tonight. They came up BIG tonight when the Huskies really needed them.
  • Nika with yet another really, really tough effort: 14 assists, tough defense, while playing all 40 minutes!!!
  • Prior to tonight’s game only ND has outrebounded UConn this season. Tonight the Huskies lost the rebounding battle but managed to hold on for a hard-earned victory.
  • Finally, for many of us, the titanic rivalry between Pat’s LV’s and Geno’s Huskies was the foundation for our love of WBB. I was pleased Geno and KJH revived the rivalry after a long hiatus. Discussing UConn and Tennessee’s long history, Geno commented, “We’re still standing.” UConn-Tennessee is great for WBB!!!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
A great road test with the Huskies surviving a hostile crowd and questionable officiating. Probably their best win of the year.

Not a bad game for a four year player from Fairfield.
:)

Horston has not played at anywhere near the level that she played tonight. She looked like a first round pick.

I agree completely with what Geno said to Holly Rowe.

The Huskies giving up 23+ offensive rebounds. When was the last time that happened?

Aaliyah did nothing but enhance her All-American status.

Dorka needed a game like this. She just wasn’t as aggressive underneath as she normally is.

Was happy with the minutes Ayanna was able to give them.

Geno may not agree at this moment but this game needs to played. Too much intensity to ignore.

Great win. Back to the league.

Reaction Score
Watching Lou being interviewed by Holly Rowe and she's tearing up a little thinking about what she contributed tonight to the storied rivalry between UConn/TN. Was very sweet to see it. I love seeing Lou being so successful; the sky's the limit for her. Amazing to think she was playing at Fairfield and now is a star here.

Reaction Score
Geno summed it up well:
in the 1st quarter we had all the energy and practically ran Tennessee off the court.
In the 2nd quarter, we got tired and they have a lot of subs and they outran us, and we made some tired fouls -- and yess, there were a few bad foul calls and non-calls
In the 3rd quarter, we were rested again and ran them off the floor again
In the 4th quarter, both teams were tired, but the refs had found an even keel, and Lou and Aaliyah shot the lights out

Reaction Score
Watching Lou being interviewed by Holly Rowe and she's tearing up a little thinking about what she contributed tonight to the storied rivalry between UConn/TN. Was very sweet to see it. I love seeing Lou being so successful; the sky's the limit for her. Amazing to think she was playing at Fairfield and now is a star here.
I think that was sweat. Happens when you bust your butt for 38 minutes.

Reaction Score
Great overall game the first quarter was fine display of offense but no depth killed us in the 2nd half UConn was winded and Lou picking up a cheap foul didn’t help ..
2nd half team came out focused and the game was never in doubt after the 3rd quarter
Only complaint I have you Dorka needs to pull down those boards she let Tennessee have a least 6 offense put backs maybe it’s because her wrist has a not 100% ..

Overall great team win and btw never seen Geno that fired up before halftime ..

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I'm just going to say this once in this thread because I went crazy in the GT about it. Just one last vent. No followup or arguing. Geno was right on at the half. Anyone doubting it just has to watch the video of that 2nd quarter. The worst officiated quarter of the year by far. UCONN overcame that and gutted this out. Just thankful for no injuries. Lots of character tonight. Other teams would have folded.

Reaction Score
The refs backed themselves into a corner. They let them play in the 1st quarter & then tried to keep the game close for Tennessee. When they realized they overcompensated, they started calling fouls on the Vols. These are final 4 refs who sabotaged a great game!

Reaction Score
I admit that I was apprehensive about playing Tenn in its own backyard. .They played their hearts out during that first period and got tired which then swung the momentum to Tenn. Resting up at half time they came back like a thundering horde. What a great Team win. Lou is special. All the kids are special. Just wonderful to see this group compete and win under adverse conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom