Tennessee Postgame Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I too agree 100% with what Coach Geno said to Ms. Rowe, But I did not like how he spoke to her and that he didn't apologize to her later on TV. Maybe he did say something to her off the camera but I do believe he owes her a good one on one interview.

Go Huskies!!
Are you kidding? Holly is a pro and that got a lot more attention and buzz than the usual pablum. Interviewers want emotion and uncensored talk.

Reaction Score
I tried to write this last night...

I feel bad for the Tennessee kids, program, and coaches
They produced a mighty fine effort
Never gave up.
Took their lumps with the uneven officiating as well as did we...
Ran into a UConn team on an especially motivated, hot-shooting
well-coached evening.

And what do they get for it?
Quite profound derision from their fanbase, message boards and press.
They deserve better.
Tennessee can’t lose enough for me.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
My wonder is what sold her on Tennessee. Just posting out loud.
Been a mystery to me since 2008 why any top ten would choose TN! The coaching just hasn't been good and players really do not develop there - they may grow older and stronger and therefore become 'better' but they don't expand their games or their basketball smarts. It has been difficult for me to watch a few players wither who showed talent in age specific USA basketball stints. 'They coulda been contenders!' :eek:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I know this sounds heretical, but I'll be rooting for the LVs Monday night against LSU.
That would enhance our claim on a 1 seed.

Of course if we should happen to knock off South Carolina that would ice it.
NCAA seedings make for strange bedfellows.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
My favorite line in the broadcast was when Lobo, with a nod to Seinfeld, described Lou's jumpshot as, "Real and spectacular.";)
Ha! I wondered what the story was with that. I figured it was an inside joke with Ryan. Did he say something to set that up?

Thanks for the insight.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The loss of Key was a major blow to what was a talented team already in disarray. Kellie may have miscalculated in scheduling so many tough opponents early for a team that had so many new pieces. Mulkey may have understood this problem better and scheduled a bunch of cream puffs to give her patchwork team time to gel.

I also wonder if Jackson wasn’t going to be a problem no matter what Kellie did. I mean, she’s a substantial talent but never much of a team player. It was probably impossible not to sign her, given where Tennessee was. But fitting her into a coherent team culture may have been just too difficult.
If I'm a WNBA GM, I'm going to give a lot of thought to the fact that Rickea was suspended four times by four different coaches.

Reaction Score
If I'm a WNBA GM, I'm going to give a lot of thought to the fact that Rickea was suspended four times by four different coaches.
This is weird, in Dec.5, 2022.

Amid a difficult start to the season for Tennessee, leading scorer Rickea Jackson will be out “indefinitely,” coach Kellie Harper said Sunday.

The senior forward didn’t play Sunday in the Vols’ loss to Virginia Tech. Instead, she appeared on the bench in street clothes.

Yet Jackson doesn’t seem to be injured, and Harper called it a “coach’s decision” to keep the player off the floor.

Reaction Score
As much as I admire Gustav Mahler, not just for his symphonies, but especially for his Lieder...Tennessee won't be able to steal a #1 seed from UConn in March Madness, depending on how the chips fall...LSU could. Of course I expect UConn will get that 1 seed regardless.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
My wonder is what sold her on Tennessee. Just posting out loud.
She stated she wanted to go to a school that would prepare her for the WNBA. I believe that was one of the reasons many thought she would choose UConn. When the BY read that statement, some asked if that is true, then why did she choose Tennessee?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
As much as I admire Gustav Mahler, not just for his symphonies, but especially for his Lieder...Tennessee won't be able to steal a #1 seed from UConn in March Madness, depending on how the chips fall...LSU could. Of course I expect UConn will get that 1 seed regardless.
OK. It's always a pleasure to meet a Mahler fan. I'm a little lost regarding where I wrote that they could. Maybe I typed a wrong note?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Oh! You thought I was referring to @MSGRET being a troll? Not a chance. He's solid.

I was getting at the fact that a poster was curiously disliking several posts, ones which seemed innocuous and/or on point. That sometimes indicates deliberate contrarianism which then dissipates relatively quickly.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've been thinking about Tony C's post most of the afternoon. I read every comment in that thread. Most WCBB fans want the series to continue, a scant few don't. Well, I had an epiphany this evening. One that just might work if the powers that be agree. ESPN was solely responsible for the resumption of the series.

If I'm Geno, I don't want to expose my players anymore to the "reception" they get when they visit Knoxville. Since this is a made for TV game, let's let TV have it. I believe I have the perfect solution IF the series must continue.

Play the game every year at a neutral site. They can play in the Jimmy V Foundation game, The Pat Summitt Foundation Classic, the Massachusetts Hall of Fame Game, the Kay Yow Cancer Foundation Classic, or any other showcase or exhibition they choose. They can play this game in any state in any arena except Tennessee or Connecticut. They can move this exhibition/showcase around the country to different states to garner more fan interest and support.

Fans from both programs that wish to attend can. This way the series can continue, and neither school has to physically set foot in the other's arena again. The game can be scheduled during the second week in November every year as a kickoff for the new season. 100% of the proceeds raised for this game can go to various charities. Thoughts...................

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've been thinking about Tony C's post most of the afternoon. I read every comment in that thread. Most WCBB fans want the series to continue, a scant few don't. Well, I had an epiphany this evening. One that just might work if the powers that be agree. ESPN was solely responsible for the resumption of the series.

If I'm Geno, I don't want to expose my players anymore to the "reception" they get when they visit Knoxville. Since this is a made for TV game, let's let TV have it. I believe I have the perfect solution IF the series must continue.

Play the game every year at a neutral site. They can play in the Jimmy V Foundation game, The Pat Summitt Foundation Classic, the Massachusetts Hall of Fame Game, the Kay Yow Cancer Foundation Classic, or any other showcase or exhibition they choose. They can play this game in any state in any arena except Tennessee or Connecticut. They can move this exhibition/showcase around the country to different states to garner more fan interest and support.

Fans from both programs that wish to attend can. This way the series can continue, and neither school has to physically set foot in the other's arena again. The game can be scheduled during the second week in November every year as a kickoff for the new season. 100% of the proceeds raised for this game can go to various charities. Thoughts...................
My reasons against a neutral site:
They won't draw the types of crowds that they are presently.
You're not going to get 13,000 to attend the game if they play, for instance, in Florida. If Tennessee was still a powerhouse, then the attendance would be more reasonable and a neutral site could be considered. But alas, they are not. It would be just another top ranked UConn team overwhelming an unranked opponent.
But I do think the "rivalry" should continue. I rather enjoy reading the complete meltdown of the Tennessee fans during and after the game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My reasons against a neutral site:
They won't draw the types of crowds that they are presently.
You're not going to get 13,000 to attend the game if they play, for instance, in Florida. If Tennessee was still a powerhouse, then the attendance would be more reasonable and a neutral site could be considered. But alas, they are not. It would be just another top ranked UConn team overwhelming an unranked opponent.
But I do think the "rivalry" should continue. I rather enjoy reading the complete meltdown of the Tennessee fans during and after the game.
Thanks for your response. It was just a thought. I was thinking the game would be more for a TV audience than a live audience, but your point is well taken.

Reaction Score
I tried to write this last night...

I feel bad for the Tennessee kids, program, and coaches
They produced a mighty fine effort
Never gave up.
Took their lumps with the uneven officiating as well as did we...
Ran into a UConn team on an especially motivated, hot-shooting
well-coached evening.

And what do they get for it?
Quite profound derision from their fanbase, message boards and press.
They deserve better.
fan base doesnt even support their own coach

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I would say Nika's fitness level is "out of the roof." Check the 6:20 mark of the most adorable postgame interview ever.

Yes, they sure had fun with that one. "We listen to Paige, we-I-don't care [what Geno says]"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom