Tennessee Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some of the worst reffing jobs I have seen. What a tough group of players we have, and what a great game they played....Everyone did more than usual....Lou and Aaliyah were incredible.
I texted a friend tha they need to send these three back to officiating school, maybe do some high school games for a while. And agree while the second quarter was skewed to Tenn. the rest of the game they blew fairly equally.

Reaction Score
Now that is the way you take a crowd out of the game in the first quarter. If the country was unaware of Lou Lopez-Senechal, you have your introduction. Aaliyah stamped her All-American credentials tonite, and if there is a tougher junkyard dog than Nika Muhl, I'll have to see it to believe it.

The first quarter was a masterclass in moving, distributing and shooting the ball. UT came out in the 2nd and tried to make it a physical game. Upon got punched in the 2nd and appeared to be on shaky legs. After recovering at halftime, they counterpunched with Lou and Aaliyah leading the way.

The beauty of this starting five is that everyone contributes. They understand how to exploit their teammates' strengths and despite the TO's, they are in sync.

Like so many others on here, I am just so happy Lou is wearing UConn blue.

Reaction Score
Great win! Anytime you can come away from Rocky Top with a W, it's a good thing. LOOOOOOOOOOOU, 'nuff said. Starters played their hearts out. 14 assists is insane, way to go Nika - love the aggressiveness. Edwards is a warrior, timely shots by Dorka, but forgot to wipe the butter off her fingers tonight. Aubrey was steady, eddy. Horston was terrific!!!

Reaction Score
only got to see the last several minutes. In what I saw, UCONN was obviously the better team. Dont know what happened in Q2 but Geno’s comments in the postgame interview with Holly Rowe seemed to sum things up perfectly.

Reaction Score
A great road test with the Huskies surviving a hostile crowd and questionable officiating. Probably their best win of the year.

Not a bad game for a four year player from Fairfield.
:)

Horston has not played at anywhere near the level that she played tonight. She looked like a first round pick.

I agree completely with what Geno said to Holly Rowe.

The Huskies giving up 23+ offensive rebounds. When was the last time that happened?

Aaliyah did nothing but enhance her All-American status.

Dorka needed a game like this. She just wasn’t as aggressive underneath as she normally is.

Was happy with the minutes Ayanna was able to give them.

Geno may not agree at this moment but this game needs to played. Too much intensity to ignore.

Great win. Back to the league.
The game needs better referees then the ones tonight.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some of the worst reffing jobs I have seen. What a tough group of players we have, and what a great game they played....Everyone did more than usual....Lou and Aaliyah were incredible.
Right!! No magicians on this team. EVERYONE showed up tonight. That was not the case in recent years past in BIG games. I got my wish. I hoped that Geno was smiling as he left the floor tonight, he was. He was smiling the whole time he was talking to Holly Rowe (ESPN) after the game. :D

I know Geno is "elated" to have this game behind him. CD (on Bob Joyce's post game show) said the fans booed our girls when they came out on the floor. LV fans............a real class act. This was the level of a NCAA tournament game the 2nd weekend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My God, if we had the whole team healthy...wow! The core group out there NOW is a contender. If we had healthy Azzi, Paige, Caroline and Brady....wow. That team would be legit 10 deep and we could press all day long. Team out there today has grit.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
WOW!!!!!!

That was a war on the court.

The officiating was a disgrace to the game and both teams. Geno was spot on in his interview with Holly at halftime.

We are a tough, gritty, battle tested team.

Lou was sensational. Shot after shot going in all night.

Aaliyah proves she's an AA. So strong and powerful in the paint.

Dorka and Aubrey battled all night and play some solid defense.

Nika with her assist magic - 14. Pius 7 points. And her tough as nails attitude the whole game.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Agree wholeheartedly and some posters may not like hearing that, what with such a big win, but she needs to grab the ball and hold onto it.
I wasn't Dorka tipping the rebounds, it was Tennessee all night.

Reaction Score
Djorka looked tired from the start.

I don't get why Geno didn't have Edwards being fouled near half court reviewed. It wasn't vicous, but there was no realy play on the ball and she helf onto Edwards shoulder trying to rag her across the halfcourt stripe well after the whistle was blown.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Unbelievably, UT was more gassed than UConn at the end. A tribute to the fact that when you play your regulars so much their conditioning is incredible. This team shot really well tonight at every level, and that was the reason they won the game. But man, where were the rebounds? AE had one rebound the entire 2nd half, Dorka had 2. Dorka had perhaps her worse game all year. She was continually out of position on defense all game, and when she was in position she couldn't get rebounds or even loose balls. Tenn's physicality really had UConn reeling in the first half, and yes, the refs were really bad tonight. First time in a long time I've complained about the refs. In the second half, after Geno's explosion, the refs played even up. AE had a great game at both ends but, needless to say, it was Lou who saved the day offensively. Nika had a lot of problems, again, when pressured on the perimeter. When Azzi was healthy, it was she that often brought the ball up and handled it on the perimeter. When she went down that was left to Nika and Lou, and they've had their issues. When Nika is stuck at the perimeter because of pressure, the offense has to come above the nail to help, and that slows the offensive pace, and makes the team run their actions late in the clock. UT also showed that when AE sits, full court presses are very effective. Geno previously had AE come in the center of the press, but UT smartly had a forward press AE tight, Dorka and Nika had issues with it. However, this team finds a way. Ladder screens, down screens, flair screens, cross screens, all worked this game. 57% from the arc is tough for any defense to handle. 83% from the foul line is just as tough. Nika got beat time and again to her left until the 4th period when she said, "no more", and shut that stuff down. Again, as Joe Louis used to say, "tough fight, glad I won". On to the next.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Man, I about jumped ship when the Vols cut the lead to 2. The game was almost too nerve wracking for me. I thought between the refs changing the complexion of the game in the 2nd quarter, us getting tired as a team in the 2nd quarter and the Vols seemingly having all the momentum, I was about to quit. But I didn't, we played the second half like we were the (way) better players and team and what another Magnificent game it was. Gonna love watching the @MJL243 replay tomorrow!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
While everyone deserves their due credit, I need to throw in some love and respect for Aubrey this game. Active on offense early on. Defended very well all game (unfortunate bad calls lead to a slight dip in aggression) but everyone did their part. Someone HAS to step up at every moment and it looks like our 5 all have the ability to do so.

Personally, after the week I’ve had I’m happy to rest my head tonight after this win.

Proud Huskie

Reaction Score
What a game, about two weeks ago I said Yolo and bought a plane and game ticket. I am happily walking back to my hotel in the cold. That first quarter in person was something else. I absolutely love this team they have no quit in them. Now back to my walk these hills are trying to kill me

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Now that is the way you take a crowd out of the game in the first quarter. If the country was unaware of Lou Lopez-Senechal, you have your introduction. Aaliyah stamped her All-American credentials tonite, and if there is a tougher junkyard dog than Nika Muhl, I'll have to see it to believe it.

The first quarter was a masterclass in moving, distributing and shooting the ball. UT came out in the 2nd and tried to make it a physical game. Upon got punched in the 2nd and appeared to be on shaky legs. After recovering at halftime, they counterpunched with Lou and Aaliyah leading the way.

The beauty of this starting five is that everyone contributes. They understand how to exploit their teammates' strengths and despite the TO's, they are in sync.

Like so many others on here, I am just so happy Lou is wearing UConn blue.
@Surly1's first paragraph sums up our year so perfectly - with Lou, nika, and Edwards, we will prevail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom