Tennessee Postgame Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Something interesting happened during the live action last night. When I am watching the game on my TV, I also watch the live stats on my phone. Normally, the live stats are a few seconds (usually about10) ahead of the video. However, last night it was the opposite, the ESPN video was at least 10-15 seconds ahead of the stats. It was an interesting change to my viewing.
Perhaps the difference between ESPN and Fox Sports on an SNY feed????

Reaction Score
Don’t particularly care for Alexa’s tweet that Tennessee “allowed “ UConn to shoot 55% and 57% from three. Makes it sound like they forget to play defense. Sure there were a few easy layups but there were also a lot of contested shots, especially by Lou. Perhaps UConn is a very good shooting team and I think the season stats will also show that.
Tennessee should have put Horston on Lou. The point guard was too small. When she did contest, Lou shot over her.

Reaction Score
Joe loves to call the charge. I think most charge calls should be blocks. Defensive player is rarely set and often still moving laterally. Refs want every screen to be perfect but let a lot go on calling the charge.
Joe loves to call the obscure fouls & violations while missing obvious calls. He looks to inject himself in the game (Just like Dee Kantner). While some his calls might be correct, there is no need for his over the top officiating.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Interesting comments by Horsten and Jolly. Horsten said that it was the largest crowd at home for Tennessee in 15 years. Jolly commented that the atmosphere was great and she’s glad that the team got to experience it.

I remember when Pat refused to play UConn anymore, that there were predictions by some that ‘Connecticut would sink into obscurity.’ As it turns out, Yukon is doing fine, but the end of the rivalry likely contributed to Tennessee’s slipping back into the pack.

[Shrugs]

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sometimes @JordyG I have a hard time reading your post. Need emojis I do.
1674846599102.png

Reaction Score
One last observation of last night’s game.........the UConn starters got 11 minutes and zero points from their bench. Tennessee got 93 minutes and 38 points from its bench. Every UConn starter played at least 36 minutes. Nika played 40. No LV starter played more than 28, yet the UConn core group persevered and won in what was less than an optimum environment.

Knowing this I personally find it difficult to criticize any of our players on their performance last night. Oh yeah, UConn won CONVINCINGLY by 17 points with basically 6 players. :cool:

Horsten came off the bench to score 26, 27?? That's the majority of their bench points right there.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree. The close calls should go the offensive players way (not a charge). This is the way it is in soccer and makes sense. The defender has to guess, the offensive player just chooses to make a play. Well, you know what happens when you guess? You may get it wrong. Therefore, it is overall likely the defender fouls. Not all the time, and unless it is an obvious offensive foul, any "bang-bang" charge into the lane should favor the offensive player. IMHO.
For my perspective, as a fan, the charge call should be in place in the case where a defensive player is blatantly run over. It has turned into a strategy for getting fouls on legitimate offensive moves and is hurting the game.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Maybe Kellie knew something about the shape she was really in. Horston looked pretty gassed in the 4th.
In Horston's defense, she missed the last game (and I assume some practice time) with an illness. If it was any of the flu/upper respiratory crud that has been going around this winter, it's no wonder she was gassed.

Reaction Score
A great road test with the Huskies surviving a hostile crowd and questionable officiating. Probably their best win of the year.

Not a bad game for a four year player from Fairfield.
:)

Horston has not played at anywhere near the level that she played tonight. She looked like a first round pick.

I agree completely with what Geno said to Holly Rowe.

The Huskies giving up 23+ offensive rebounds. When was the last time that happened?

Aaliyah did nothing but enhance her All-American status.

Dorka needed a game like this. She just wasn’t as aggressive underneath as she normally is.

Was happy with the minutes Ayanna was able to give them.

Geno may not agree at this moment but this game needs to played. Too much intensity to ignore.

Great win. Back to the league.
I admit that I was apprehensive about playing Tenn in its own backyard. .They played their hearts out during that first period and got tired which then swung the momentum to Tenn. Resting up at half time they came back like a thundering horde. What a great Team win. Lou is special. All the kids are special. Just wonderful to see this group compete and win under adverse conditions.
But we all must, for the moment, conclude that UCONN has no bench. Certainly coach plays it that way. Patterson played 10 minutes and that is something, but she reveals no "game" other than being tough and fighting for rebounds ( she can jump ). Amari played one minute; touched the ball once and, immediately, turned it over on a lame pass. Geno took her out right then and there for the rest of the night. Probably deserved. I see little reason that Ines wasn't used to give Nika a rest, but she went all 40 minutes. Sorry to say, folks, but that will take a toll. Luckily, many of our games are against the dregs of the Big East, and she ( and the other starters ) can rest then. I'm sport sure we should expect either Azzi or Caroline to return in February.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
So Geno assumes when they are on the road the refs are what? Paid off? Rigging the game against them? This is the one time I will agree with Cornelius. Given how tired the team looked in the 2nd quarter, I figured that was going to be the basis of Geno's comments at half time which is basically how he framed it post-game. One thing is for sure: Geno's not a coach that should be interviewed in the heat of the moment like that.
I have been around this Tenn garbage since 1995. I read some of the posts about Genos comment. I dont think UConn should play Tenn ever again. When Jackson and Edwards were on the floor and there was a T called and we dont know who it was on but Edwards reacted like it was on her and Jackson banged Edwards when she was trying to get up well Jackson shouldve been thrown out of the game. IMO If Edwards had gotten hurt we would be playing without her. It was unsportmans like. Then the refs review the call and they come up with a double foul I rewatched it a few times and saw nothing from Edwards. Guys you have no idea whats been going on at Tenn for years against many times but always against UConn. Ive seen it and dealt with it over the years. If I were UConn I would NEVER play Tenn again.
Let me address the refs in Tenn. I am not happy with the officiating last nite. Frankly Im P.O.ed. I mentioned it in several of my posts what would happen with the foul situation and it did. Its nothing new when you go to Tenn. Thus Genos remarks at half time.

Here are a few situations. I will not get into the 37 page NCAA violation in this thread.

Last nite first. UConn was blowing Tenn out and was playing aggressive. Tenn was shell shocked. Then the second quarter everything was called on UConn and against UConn which let Tenn back in the game. The reason UConn didnt look the same in the 2nd Qtr was a direct result of how the game was being called. You cant score if you dont have the ball or are being called for fouls which makes you back off to avoid foul trouble. One other point when your opponent is slapping and pushing you out of the way and reaching over you to get rebounds and nothing is called thats how you loose rebounds and your opponent gets second and third chances. The one thing to understand is that with UConn in foul trouble UConn couldnt play aggressive and they were limited on playing defense because they couldnt afford to foul out. This allowed Tenn to play more freely. Thats what happens when you get in foul trouble and the refs are calling the game the way they did. You cant play defense like you would. This is nothing new when UConn plays at Tenn its been happening since 1996. I commend Geno for going off during his half time interview. He's tired of it. Then the pushing and shoving and over the the top to get rebounds and no calls on Tenn and we still won by double digits. They could do what they wanted and get away with it. The second quarter was all about letting Tenn back in the game.

This has been going on for years. Let me reminisce. It doesnt happen to UConn alone it happens almost every time Tenn is getting blown out or in a close game and Tenn needs something to happen to give them a shot at winning. Back in the day my post about Clockwork Orange when Tenn was loosing I think to Rutgers and there was something like 2 seconds on the clock. Tenn inbounded the ball, got a shot off got the rebound and another shot off got the rebound and Im not sure how many times and kept shooting and a foul was called on Rutgers. Tenn made the foul shot(s) Im not sure how many and won the game. After the game was over the announcers realized the shot clock had not started. The NCAA tourney game against Baylor where Tenn shot the ball and missed the ball was loose and bouncing away a Baylor player reached for it and was shoved by a Tenn player. Foul on Baylor. Tenn made the foul shots and faced UConn in the Final. A game in Tenn where Tenn went to the line 40+ times and UConn something like 10 and UConn almost pulled it out . Geno said at one point something like you have to have a 10 pt lead with 2 minutes left when you play at Tenn.

This is one really really great UConn team. They are truly a T.E.A.M. Together Everyone Achieves More. I will end with this. It would make me very happy if Geno doesnt ever play NEVER EVER PLAY TENN again.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Most of the VolNation fans seem to be pretty reasonable, considering what they have been through since Pat. The real rabid UT fans stuck with The Summitt when it went subscription only. There was a great deal of rabidity on the Summitt.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I believe so because I am streaming each broadcast.
Not sure what stat feed you had but my cable provider was 10-12 seconds behind the Tennessee stat feed from their website, so it was like it usually is For all the games.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Not sure what stat feed you had but my cable provider was 10-12 seconds behind the Tennessee stat feed from their website, so it was like it usually is For all the games.
I use the live stats link provided on the uconnhuskies website for each game.

Reaction Score
Have you ever had a broken bone? It takes time for it to heal properly and any jolt or hit causes pain. She has had a broken wrist and thumb in less than a year and most likely the jarring of either is still bothering her. Those people that wear Orange were hacking away at both last light when they were fighting for rebounds. I'm proud of what she is doing because most likely she is doing it while suffering the pain.
While I don’t disagree , I would point out that Dorka has always had weak hands even prior to her injuries.

Reaction Score
I have to give credit when it's due. When the game is big...Horston always shows up.
You're right--Horston did show up. My only critique of her is that when Nika picked her pocket and was headed for a lay up, Horston just cooly strolled behind her. I'm reasonably sure, had she put some effort in it, with her speed and athleticism, she could have easily caught up with Nika...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom