Te'a Cooper, no mention of her transferring? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Te'a Cooper, no mention of her transferring?

Reaction Score
If that's the case why was Cooper the only one dismissed and not the teammate she fought with? Or the teammate that filmed it? Why are coaches circulating the video? Whole situation seems strange. Can't understand why UT would let their star PG go when they have such a HUGE year ahead (w/DD, Mercedes, Nared, and the 4 incoming AAs).

Cooper is visiting South Carolina now... so you released her just so she could take her talent to your conference rivals and make them even BETTER? Wouldn't UT have to give her special permission to transfer to another SEC school? Like I said...STRANGE. Has to be more to the story

Is there any source that said she's visiting SC? I haven't heard anything about it yet.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
If that's the case why was Cooper the only one dismissed and not the teammate she fought with? Or the teammate that filmed it? Why are coaches circulating the video? Whole situation seems strange. Can't understand why UT would let their star PG go when they have such a HUGE year ahead (w/DD, Mercedes, Nared, and the 4 incoming AAs).

Cooper is visiting South Carolina now... so you released her just so she could take her talent to your conference rivals and make them even BETTER? Wouldn't UT have to give her special permission to transfer to another SEC school? Like I said...STRANGE. Has to be more to the story

It may seem strange but it's 100% accurate. Video proof is pretty convincing. What it should have way to the end results.

Reaction Score
It may seem strange but it's 100% accurate. Video proof is pretty convincing. What it should have way to the end results.

Wow. Lots of questions but all in all just an unfortunate situation... hopefully they can smooth everything out. They're loaded talent-wise but seems to be a lot of discord on the team [how did the coach(es) get the video?]. I wish they could have found a way for her to stay...she's a great player. And seems to be a nice girl in spite of the circumstance. Wish her the best (even if it's with SC
:confused: lol)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wow. Lots of questions but all in all just an unfortunate situation... hopefully they can smooth everything out. They're loaded talent-wise but seems to be a lot of discord on the team [how did the coach(es) get the video?]. I wish they could have found a way for her to stay...she's a great player. And seems to be a nice girl in spite of the circumstance. Wish her the best (even if it's with SC
:confused: lol)
Not that I want to add to unsubstantiated rumors as most of our knowledge iswhat we read on this site or on VolNation: however what I read on here and on VN is
-Te'a did not have a fight with Diamond and they have been seen together since this episode occurred and as chatting via Twitter and Snapchat
-Te'a had a handful of incidents that put her in various penalty box scenarios
-this video fight was the last straw for the Athletic Administration and they booted her.
-As the Coach, Holly tried to present the best front for the situation (and rightfully so in my opinion) as the program is high profile and news is required to be released of her leaving the program
-While not 100% positive of the specific rules on Scholarship athletes, I believe if a school releases you at their behest, the athlete can go anywhere. I do believe she must still sit out the year (she can claim a "hardship case" to be granted a 6th year to complete her 4 years of eligibility).
-in regards to the opponent, if it was their 1st infraction, then they are granted a "stay of execution" vs. Te'a who, mentioned above had prior incidents.
-in regards to the video person, Was it smart to video it, probably not, however that is what this generation does. Now it has been mentioned that this person should have injected themselves further into this issue by trying to break it up which while it sounds logical and correct, I know I did not jump right in when some of my college team mates went at it due to a) Not wanting to get hit unwittingly b) They most likely had the issue stemming for a while and frankly need to get it out c) After 30 seconds when the main testosterone was spent and energy significantly spent, it's easier to break up. As I have not read of anyone who said they saw the video, we don't know how it started or how long it lasted or who broke it up.
-on the coaches having the video: all athletes have to disclose their social media accounts which are then monitored by the various teams and staff. Whether it is Holly directly or members of her direct staff is unknown. However, while they did get it, I seriously doubt anyone of them posted it. I suspect a follower of the poster would have made it available for others.
That is what I have ascertained. It is unfortunate and I harbor nor disgust or animosity at any these players or coaching staff as all have followed protocol since it surfaced. I wish the young lady well an hope she has self assessed and learned a lesson as well as shows more maturity.

Reaction Score
Not that I want to add to unsubstantiated rumors as most of our knowledge iswhat we read on this site or on VolNation: however what I read on here and on VN is
-Te'a did not have a fight with Diamond and they have been seen together since this episode occurred and as chatting via Twitter and Snapchat
-this video fight was the last straw for the Athletic Administration and they booted her.
-As the Coach, Holly tried to present the best front for the situation (and rightfully so in my opinion) as the program is high profile and news is required to be released of her leaving the program
-While not 100% positive of the specific rules on Scholarship athletes, I believe if a school releases you at their behest, the athlete can go anywhere. I do believe she must still sit out the year (she can claim a "hardship case" to be granted a 6th year to complete her 4 years of eligibility).
-in regards to the opponent, if it was their 1st infraction, then they are granted a "stay of execution" vs. Te'a who, mentioned above had prior incidents.
-in regards to the video person, Was it smart to video it, probably not, however that is what this generation does. Now it has been mentioned that this person should have injected themselves further into this issue by trying to break it up which while it sounds logical and correct, I know I did not jump right in when some of my college team mates went at it due to a) Not wanting to get hit unwittingly b) They most likely had the issue stemming for a while and frankly need to get it out c) After 30 seconds when the main testosterone was spent and energy significantly spent, it's easier to break up. As I have not read of anyone who said they saw the video, we don't know how it started or how long it lasted or who broke it up.
-on the coaches having the video: all athletes have to disclose their social media accounts which are then monitored by the various teams and staff. Whether it is Holly directly or members of her direct staff is unknown. However, while they did get it, I seriously doubt anyone of them posted it. I suspect a follower of the poster would have made it available for others.
That is what I have ascertained. It is unfortunate and I harbor nor disgust or animosity at any these players or coaching staff as all have followed protocol since it surfaced. I wish the young lady well an hope she has self assessed and learned a lesson as well as shows more maturity.

Fantastic summary, THANK YOU. I'd been trying to put together bits and pieces of information but couldn't make any sense of it. You cleared up most of the points of confusion. I thought this was all based on one incident...didn't know there was anything prior.

"Lol" at not trying to break up fights between teammates...I didn't either. My understanding was that the person filming was also encouraging the fight, thus had a larger role. Again, didn't know the decision was based on more than one event. The transfer rules explanation makes sense. School released the athlete = options are open. Athlete requested to leave school = options restricted. Got it.

I thought the video was sent directly to the coaches...didn't know it was posted to social media. I pray it stays wherever it's at or gets deleted! No need for the world to know. These are kids, they make mistakes...and we've all had our fights. As you said we don't know what started it and in some cases an old fashioned duel is necessary....it's just that most don't happen in the public eye. I'm sure everyone will learn from this especially Te'a. Wish them all the absolute best... onward and upward.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@DefenseBB this question was asked previously: Was the fight with a Lady Vol teammate and did that teammate face any discipline?

Reaction Score
Holly stated publicly that Cooper asked for a transfer. In my memory, that's the only fact that has emerged. Then, unsubstantiated rumors began to circulate. T'e'a has always been a problem, there was a fight, the fight was filmed. These rumors morphed into Te'a being not a good a player, that she was violent and had mental issues. It's strange to me that a player who was considered a great one with fan joy at her return, has now morphed to a so glad she's gone attitude.

This smacks of an attempt to protect a struggling program's reputation after 2 players requested transfers by casting the blame on the players instead of Holly or her program.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
It's no longer a mystery obviously, but just to confirm, Te'a is definitely at SC. She was out with the team celebrating Bradshaw's birthday last night. Wearing South Carolina gear, interestingly enough.

That still doesn't mean she's going to SC (maybe she was chilly last night?) but it's definitely interesting..

Reaction Score
It is strange..... if this was an NCAA team on the male side..... a fight between theammates.... even if they were best friends.... would not raise an eyebrow.....

yes women fight too.....

wherever Te'a ends up good luck to her

Reaction Score
Put your tinfoil hats on with me guys. Te'a didn't ask for the transfer and when they say it was mutual that just means the coach told the player I don't think it's going to work out for you here. If it was her intentions to transfer she would have did it back in December and she wouldn't have made a post a week before the transfer news broke that she couldn't wait to get back out on the court and include a picture of her teammates. As an observer that whole situation regarding the acl injury seemed shady to me. Te'a never had an ACL injury to begin with.
Then it was her being away from the team in January after Christmas break in which it was reported Holly extended her break, because of her injury. In which I don't think she's ever done before. It probably was a series of unfortunate events that led to her being asked to leave.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Put your tinfoil hats on with me guys. Te'a didn't ask for the transfer and when they say it was mutual that just means the coach told the player I don't think it's going to work out for you here. If it was her intentions to transfer she would have did it back in December and she wouldn't have made a post a week before the transfer news broke that she couldn't wait to get back out on the court and include a picture of her teammates. As an observer that whole situation regarding the acl injury seemed shady to me. Te'a never had an ACL injury to begin with.
Then it was her being away from the team in January after Christmas break in which it was reported Holly extended her break, because of her injury. In which I don't think she's ever done before. It probably was a series of unfortunate events that led to her being asked to leave.
A while back we were talking about the need for a sarcasm emoji.. Just saying! :eek:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Side note: thanks to a separate thread on the men's board, I learned that P5 schools cannot take away a player's scholarship (except for disciplinary issues). You could kick someone off the team, but you'd still have to honor the scholarship. Tenn has scholly room, so I'm guessing Cooper was told "you're no longer part of the team; would you like to transfer?"

Hmmm. Another interesting point here is how some universities deal with disciplinary issues. Schools are telling kids they can face discipline, e.g., suspension/dismissal from the team or school, or transfer out. If a student athlete is dismissed from school the program loses at least one APR point (two points if not in good academic standing). If, instead, the student athlete transfers to a 4-year institution and is in good academic standing there is no APR hit and the school accomplishes its objective of washing its hands of the student athlete. A student athlete can be dismissed from a team, finish out the semester in good standing and then transfer to a 4-year institution with no APR hit to the program. This approach has received attention in the area of sexual assault as now conferences and some universities are adopting policies that forbid schools from accepting as transfers student athletes with a history of sexual assault or domestic violence. Some are also calling for changes to the APR metric which provides an incentive for schools to handle discipline problems by encouraging the student athlete to transfer.

I've seen reports that Cooper was told she would face discipline (suspension) from UT (for conduct including but not limited to the fight) or she could transfer. She opted to transfer. Interesting that there were no restrictions placed on her transfer. Some claim this is an example of Warlick's generosity and integrity (contrasted with the restrictions Staley placed on Bone's transfer). Maybe that's the case, or maybe UT just wanted her gone and granting her release to any school of her choosing would better ensure that outcome. Some LV fans claim Middleton's release does prevent her from transferring to another SEC school.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
@DefenseBB this question was asked previously: Was the fight with a Lady Vol teammate and did that teammate face any discipline?
Nothing substantiated with only inferences it was a teammate who was a starter. I know many people on this board and others are aghast as to why Te'a would be summarily dismissed by the school and the other "teammate" not mentioned nor given similar discipline. As it has been noted, Te'a evidently had a handle of infractions that had resulted in suspensions. This then caused the school AThletic Department to rescind her scholarship and remove her from the team. That is actually a very last straw. The teammate (if true) could only have committed a 1st offense which none of us would know about. Only when players miss games do we hear of discipline. Not sure we will ever hear it.

Reaction Score
Whatever happened involved no one else on the Lady Vol team or within the Tennessee Athletic Department. The incident occurred outside of the athletic department and disciplinary action would have been taken at a higher level within the university had Cooper not chosen to leave the university. HW chose not to pile on and gave her an unconditional release. Please, please stop speculating that teammates or coaches were involved. That is just not true. Cooper was well liked by all of her coaches and teammates. She just made a tragic mistake. She is now officially a Gamecock and I, for one, wish the best for her.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Margo on Te'a going to South Carolina

Reaction Score
Always like getting Margo's take on things... sometimes she has good points... i think she is delusional here though

Comparing 2004 to this year for the LVs? Difference is that Pat had the reins then As long as Holly has control of the ship it will always be sinking.... It is surprising that LV fans cannot see how incompetent she is.... and nothing is hidden.... the mistakes she makes in coaching... basic stuff... is all out there for people to see.....

How can Margo say that with the recruits coming in TN will have a great year..... Remember not long ago when Pat was trumpeting Massengale, even guaranteeing her the starting PG role as a freshman before she ever got to campus.... she was as highly rated as Westbrook.... Te'a Cooper herself was as highly rated as Hayes, who Margo sees as a savior..... Te'a had a good first year, not a great one.....

Expectations for the Orange are far too high.... Margo is a great Cheer Coach.... but overly optimistic here

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Might be better to just sign your LOI on the hood of your Dad's car...just sayin'! :cool:

She was also featured on MTV's reality show "True Life: I'm Being Recruited" Her dad made her do her due diligence when looking at schools. (Diamond was seen in a part of it because she [Te'a] went to visit UNC to watch UNC vs Duke in the show.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I guess as a transfer Cooper can't travel with the team to the game in Knoxville next season. Im sure the Lady Vol faithful would have been a welcoming crowd :rolleyes: Guess they will have to wait til 2019 or 2020.

Lordy I hope there are tapes :cool:

Reaction Score
I guess as a transfer Cooper can't travel with the team to the game in Knoxville next season. Im sure the Lady Vol faithful would have been a welcoming crowd :rolleyes: Guess they will have to wait til 2019 or 2020.

Lordy I hope there are tapes :cool:

U a bad baaaad man.:p

Reaction Score

Lordy I hope there are tapes :cool:[/QUOTE

With the absolute control Holly has over all members of the Vol Team and Tn Fans--you must have serious doubts anything
other than those of the highest standards would prevail. (Cocohusky--emoji please)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom