Study says Louisville has college basketball’s best fanbase; Kentucky 7th | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Study says Louisville has college basketball’s best fanbase; Kentucky 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
Wow, you sure are a self-important little twit. How was my sentence structure?

I commented on what I thought was a poster's misperception of the city. Catching you up would have included correcting you on your lack of understanding (comprehension?) of what I was referencing. For example, I said that the area of Bardstown road that he was referring to is actually nationally known as an area to visit while in Louisville because of its restaurants and other points of interest however, the road is quite long and there are some dodgy areas at the end of it. Somehow you interpret that to be my agreement with him that the area is terrible. I also thought it interesting that in a thread citing an article saying Louisville's fan base is the best, he felt it important to say that overall, he didn't like the city.

So I commented to that effect - period.

Yes, I am when people make no sense.

Don't know, and don't care.

You assume I've never been to Louisville and thus have a lack of understanding. I have been, I worked (I actually liked it) with Yum Brands (KFC if you want more details) for a few years before I got bored there. Bardstown is decent for Louisville but it's really nothing to brag about. I think Louisville is better than Hartford or New Haven but it's nothing great relative to other cities I've lived in (which to be fair were mostly major metropolitan areas).

Your reading comprehension (lack thereof) is showing again. I never said you agreed it was terrible, I said/wrote, "Both agree that outside the downtown center are some dodgy areas on Bardstown Road."

I asked straight up why you were offended and instead of answering the question, you decided to be a whiny prepubescent girl, assume I knew nothing about Louisville, and say the question wasn't worth your time.

Do you really need to be shown why commenting on the city makes sense in regards to the article? Or are you just being obtuse?

Reaction Score
Yes, I am when people make no sense.

Don't know, and don't care.

You assume I've never been to Louisville and thus have a lack of understanding. I have been, I worked (I actually liked it) with Yum Brands (KFC if you want more details) for a few years before I got bored there. Bardstown is decent for Louisville but it's really nothing to brag about. I think Louisville is better than Hartford or New Haven but it's nothing great relative to other cities I've lived in (which to be fair were mostly major metropolitan areas).

Your reading comprehension (lack thereof) is showing again. I never said you agreed it was terrible, I said/wrote, "Both agree that outside the downtown center are some dodgy areas on Bardstown Road."

I asked straight up why you were offended and instead of answering the question, you decided to be a whiny prepubescent girl, assume I knew nothing about Louisville, and say the question wasn't worth your time.

Do you really need to be shown why commenting on the city makes sense in regards to the article? Or are you just being obtuse?

"Before everyone freaks out -- and I admit it may be too late for that now -- this should be rage-inducing only up to the point that you don't understand the methodology Dr. Michael Lewis and Dr. Manish Tripathi used to calculate their findings. The two professors at Emory University's Goizueta Business School built a regression model "that predicts team revenues as a function of the team’s performance, as measured by winning rates and postseason success" to calculate "fan base quality [as] reflected in a school’s men’s basketball revenue relative to the team’s performance." The result is what Lewis and Tripathi call "Revenue Premium Brand Based Equity Rankings." In less business-speak terms, the two are basically comparing the durability of a program's revenue against the success it has had over the years.

That's why Louisville is No. 1. The Cardinals have huge revenues --
more than $40 million a year -- with projected profits between $23 million and $28 million. Louisville has hardly been a bottom-feeder over the years, but relative to their success -- even before the 2013 national title -- Cardinals fans keep their favorite program steadily flush with cash."

The thread was about a study completed that rates fan bases on the basis of revenue produced relative to the program's performance. And based upon that, you and your little friend inexplicably feel the taxi ratio of the city of Louisville is somehow germane to the conversation. And, I'm obtuse?

Reaction Score
"Before everyone freaks out -- and I admit it may be too late for that now -- this should be rage-inducing only up to the point that you don't understand the methodology Dr. Michael Lewis and Dr. Manish Tripathi used to calculate their findings. The two professors at Emory University's Goizueta Business School built a regression model "that predicts team revenues as a function of the team’s performance, as measured by winning rates and postseason success" to calculate "fan base quality [as] reflected in a school’s men’s basketball revenue relative to the team’s performance." The result is what Lewis and Tripathi call "Revenue Premium Brand Based Equity Rankings." In less business-speak terms, the two are basically comparing the durability of a program's revenue against the success it has had over the years.

That's why Louisville is No. 1. The Cardinals have huge revenues -- more than $40 million a year -- with projected profits between $23 million and $28 million. Louisville has hardly been a bottom-feeder over the years, but relative to their success -- even before the 2013 national title -- Cardinals fans keep their favorite program steadily flush with cash."

The thread was about a study completed that rates fan bases on the basis of revenue produced relative to the program's performance. And based upon that, you and your little friend inexplicably feel the taxi ratio of the city of Louisville is somehow germane to the conversation. And, I'm obtuse?

You're not obtuse. You're batshit insane! Read your last paragraph.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What is it with you Louisville denizens? I didn't detect such an inferiority complex when I've visited there. For the record, I've lived in other smallish cities, like New Haven, Providence, and Albany. I mean, it really does suck being stranded in strip mall hell for 3 hours waiting for a taxi. It's bad. It's really indefensibly bad. It would never happen in Providence and Albany. And yes, I am not a fan of cities with empty downtown cores, but with everyone congregating along strip malls. This is the same reason I don't much like Atlanta, even though it has a lot more going on than Louisville. Ya know, when you go to a place, you're downtown at a nice hotel, you don't expect to have difficulty finding food and transportation.

Here's the thing: I think I was actually nice to Louisville. I've often defended small industrial cities on this board--even Syracuse (because I like BBQ!). But Louisville has always left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm also a city person--have only lived in cities. So I tend to judge cities and not the beautifully lush surrounding countryside (which I rarely visit when I'm in a town for only a few days). Great for the people that live there. For outsiders, the city is rather less than charming, to be kind.

Louisville denizen?
Not this 50 year Husky fan who was raised in West Hartford, and has lived in Rochester, Boston, and NYC in addition to Westport, New Haven, Fairfield, Norwalk, Bridgeport and 3 places on Long Island. I like Dinosaur, but Louisville has more and better BBQ options, just as New Haven can top Spaghetti Factory. Ya got stuck in a medium US city with bad taxi response. You've revealed what you look for in a quick visit, probably on business. Louisville didn't work for you. Past that you've been reaching the whole time, and you're still not there. At least CAW goes apples to apples . . .

Reaction Score
You're not obtuse. You're bat insane! Read your last paragraph.

I guess based on your logic, if Louisville had a hundred more cabs, the basketball team would have generated 80 million in revenue. That and you wouldn't have stood for three hours on Bardstown Road like a two bit hooker...

Reaction Score
Louisville denizen?
Not this 50 year Husky fan who was raised in West Hartford, and has lived in Rochester, Boston, and NYC in addition to Westport, New Haven, Fairfield, Norwalk, Bridgeport and 3 places on Long Island. I like Dinosaur, but Louisville has more and better BBQ options, just as New Haven can top Spaghetti Factory. Ya got stuck in a medium US city with bad taxi response. You've revealed what you look for in a quick visit, probably on business. Louisville didn't work for you. Past that you've been reaching the whole time, and you're still not there. At least CAW goes apples to apples . . .

I wasn't judging Ville as a place to live. My first post was about visiting Ville. That's it.

Reaction Score
I guess based on your logic, if Louisville had a hundred more cabs, the basketball team would have generated 80 million in revenue. That and you wouldn't have stood for three hours on Bardstown Road like a two bit hooker...

You are getting nuttier with every post--and that is quite a feat!! Literally mixing crazy things together. Wow!

Reaction Score
Clearly, you don't. See Senore's posts. He knows his audience. Take meds, then post next time.

Tell you what, if you can logically explain how your post about your experience in Louisville is pertinent to the study cited as the basis for this thread, I'll stop posting here. If you can't - then you stop posting. Deal?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I wasn't judging Ville as a place to live. My first post was about visiting Ville. That's it.

I've ONLY visited Louisville, never lived there. Face it: you overreached. Maybe you can edit the Wikipedia entry and mention the cab situation.

Reaction Score
I've ONLY visited Louisville, never lived there. Face it: you overreached. Maybe you can edit the Wikipedia entry and mention the cab situation.

Sorry I mentioned I waited 3 hours for a cab. sorry I mentioned not seeing any food downtown other than Spaghetti factory. Sorry I don't like strip malls. I apologize. And really, sorry for liking the Seelbach, jazz in Louisville and sports. Because, if I never visit that town again, I'll be a happy man.

I actually wish what you wrote was true. I actually wish my exposure to that hole came from Wiki, and that I had no personal experience.

Reaction Score
Tell you what, if you can logically explain how your post about your experience in Louisville is pertinent to the study cited as the basis for this thread, I'll stop posting here. If you can't - then you stop posting. Deal?

Someone mentioned that Louisville sux. I verified.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned that Louisville sux. I verified.

Yes, the idiot that referenced "mayonnaise balls". While I'm not surprised that you threw in with that genius, I am surprised that you didn't list mayonnaise balls as something else you enjoy...

Reaction Score
So then, I guess you can't. Case closed.

I'm not surprised you don't understand logic. You asked for how my post followed logically, I showed you. Someone said he didn't like the city of Louisville much. I concurred. Actually, I didn't even do that. I gave a quick assessment by listing 3 things I liked, 3 things I didn't like. Then some prickly jackarse weighed in with idiocy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom