Stop-over city in CT? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stop-over city in CT?

Reaction Score
Middletown and New Haven would certainly be a lot closer to the highway but if you don't mind taking a little jaunt you can't go wrong with my hometown Litchfield or the other towns in the Litchfield Hills. Tons of food options from laidback to fine dining, ice cream shops, nice walking in town, Whites Woods and other state parks to walk in, vineyards etc.

I was in New Haven the other day and it's nice to walk around in and the Yale art gallery is top notch. Stonington/Mystic are great but again a longer drive from the highway.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was in New Haven the other day and it's nice to walk around in and the Yale art gallery is top notch. Stonington/Mystic are great but again a longer drive from the highway.
Where did you end up getting pizza?

I feel like the Mystic Aquarium is pretty close to the highway.

Reaction Score
Where did you end up getting pizza?

I feel like the Mystic Aquarium is pretty close to the highway.
Went down for the day with my mom and she didn't really want pizza but I still thought I would be able to get lucky and get one while she had a sandwich at the Atticus bookstore next to the Yale art gallery. I forgot the pizza is at Atticus Market. I've had a bunch of pizza since I've been back but nothing in New Haven. I thought the pizza at Sauced in the Kinsmen Brewery was pretty great. The pizza around this state is so much better than the rest of the country.

I haven't walked around New Haven in many years, I forgot how nice all the Yale buildings are. It's a really nice little city these days.

Reaction Score
Greenwich, New Haven, Storrs. BDL best. Don't waste your time in CT summer except at beach
Whoa. Summer is nice here in Hartford county and northwest corner, and I have Farmington river and trails and small lakes. Not everything is urban amenities.

Reactions: GG
Reaction Score
I’ll add to the Middletown love, it’s a great place to live and a great place to visit. We have a 9-month-old and absolutely love taking him around town.

Breakfast at O’Rourke’s or cross the bridge to Sarah’s on Main in Portland, Coffee at Perkatory, take a walk down the harbor, your kid will love Amato’s toy store and RJ Julia bookstore next door to each other and there’s even a place called Kid City downtown.

Way too many lunch/dinner options to list here but Krust, Mondo, Celtic Cavern, Sicily and Whey Stationary are some of our favorites. Beers on the beach at Eli Cannon’s or a trip over to Stubborn Beauty/Spoke & Spy/Forrest City for brews, cider and a food truck.

Wesleyan’s campus is beautiful and very walkable with a baby in the summer, Wadsworth Falls is right there and there are a ton of trails in the area.

Reaction Score
Hi everyone! Going up to Maine in June with an 18 month old. Looking for a good idea to stop in either CT or thereabouts on the drive back to Manhattan. We are pretty flexible and easy to please; beaches, towns, etc., all of interest. I've been up to Hartford, Storrs, and New Haven a bunch but not with an infant.

Thanks in advance, go huskies!!!
Springfield, MA and Basketball HOF. Then in an hour, choice of PMS for apizza.

Reaction Score
I’ll add to the Middletown love, it’s a great place to live and a great place to visit. We have a 9-month-old and absolutely love taking him around town.

Breakfast at O’Rourke’s or cross the bridge to Sarah’s on Main in Portland, Coffee at Perkatory, take a walk down the harbor, your kid will love Amato’s toy store and RJ Julia bookstore next door to each other and there’s even a place called Kid City downtown.

Way too many lunch/dinner options to list here but Krust, Mondo, Celtic Cavern, Sicily and Whey Stationary are some of our favorites. Beers on the beach at Eli Cannon’s or a trip over to Stubborn Beauty/Spoke & Spy/Forrest City for brews, cider and a food truck.

Wesleyan’s campus is beautiful and very walkable with a baby in the summer, Wadsworth Falls is right there and there are a ton of trails in the area.

First of all, not including Vecchitto's is sacrilege. I spend way, way too much there over the summer. My dogs and I split a pint of lemon-lime on our walks down from the north end. If you ever see a skinny white boy with a pitbull and rottweiler eating off a spoon, that would be me lol.

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't go to O'Rourke's anymore. Spring 2021, they were totally ignoring Covid protocols when I went there, and the owner and a waiter were screaming at each other for half an hour. It was a hell of a time lol.

Are you planning to stay in Middletown when your kid gets older? That's a decision my wife and I are grappling with because when we buy a home we're hoping to be there for a while. I really don't know anything about the schools other than the superintendent getting fired recently. There's a bunch of data on EdSight, but I haven't bothered to look. People tend to say they're bad, but I wonder if that's more a function of having poor brown kids in the north end and people making assumptions.

Re: A Middletown meet-up for some big away game next season. Absolutely.

Reaction Score
Charlton, Mass is literally the midpoint between Manhattan and Portland, Maine. So… Treehouse is the no-brainer answer. Strap on the baby backpack and walk the beautiful trails, have a pour, and stock up on some canned or bottled beverages to do some taste testing against the bountiful beer options in Maine.

Reaction Score
First of all, not including Vecchitto's is sacrilege. I spend way, way too much there over the summer. My dogs and I split a pint of lemon-lime on our walks down from the north end. If you ever see a skinny white boy with a pitbull and rottweiler eating off a spoon, that would be me lol.

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't go to O'Rourke's anymore. Spring 2021, they were totally ignoring Covid protocols when I went there, and the owner and a waiter were screaming at each other for half an hour. It was a hell of a time lol.

Are you planning to stay in Middletown when your kid gets older? That's a decision my wife and I are grappling with because when we buy a home we're hoping to be there for a while. I really don't know anything about the schools other than the superintendent getting fired recently. There's a bunch of data on EdSight, but I haven't bothered to look. People tend to say they're bad, but I wonder if that's more a function of having poor brown kids in the north end and people making assumptions.

It’s not a bad school system by any means. I went through it K-12 and I turned out ok. I post here so I’m not completely ok but you get the point.

I also have 3 younger cousins in the school system now and all 3 are doing well academically, socially, etc.

Reaction Score
It’s not a bad school system by any means. I went through it K-12 and I turned out ok. I post here so I’m not completely ok but you get the point.

I also have 3 younger cousins in the school system now and all 3 are doing well academically, socially, etc.

Good to know. I'm pretty meh on Cromwell/Portland because the schools are SO small. Unlike most teachers, I'm a pretty big proponent of tracking and course choices... you don't get so much of that in tiny schools.

Reaction Score

This seems more like a DM me and we can talk more question than a derail the thread about best places to spend a day in CT convo, so I'll just say we built a house in Middletown near the Middlefield line about 6 years ago and have no plans to ever move again. Happy to talk more about the schools etc. offline.

And 100% in for a Middletown/UConn meetup for a game or happy hour.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@husky429 and @Kemba Time , I am a big Middletown fan and go there very often, especially en route too and/or from UConn games.

Once upon a time, @tentoes4rings , @Huskybass , @Dove, @DogsBreath2u (rip) and I met up at La Boca for an @August_West show and UConn game watch.

Middletown is aptly-named, i.e., conveniently located mid-way between many points of interest.

Keep us in the loop for a meet-up.

Reaction Score
@husky429 and @Kemba Time , I am a big Middletown fan and go there very often, especially en route too and/or from UConn games.

Once upon a time, @tentoes4rings , @Huskybass , @Dove, @DogsBreath2u (rip) and I met up at La Boca for an @August_West show and UConn game watch.

Middletown is aptly-named, i.e., conveniently located mid-way between many points of interest.

Keep us in the loop for a meet-up.

I'm in East Hampton if anyone ever wants to get together...

Reaction Score
Good to know. I'm pretty meh on Cromwell/Portland because the schools are SO small. Unlike most teachers, I'm a pretty big proponent of tracking and course choices... you don't get so much of that in tiny schools.
SO small? Good thing you don't live in Litchfield county.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I’m addicted to Celtic Cavern and don’t feel bad about that in any way.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’m addicted to Celtic Cavern and don’t feel bad about that in any way.
Went there for the first time before heading to the Senior Night game vs. Houston at Gampel on March 5, 2020, so I have a very fond memory of it as one of the last times anything felt remotely normal. Good booze, solid food, nice people.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom