Stop-over city in CT? | The Boneyard

Stop-over city in CT?

Reaction Score
Hi everyone! Going up to Maine in June with an 18 month old. Looking for a good idea to stop in either CT or thereabouts on the drive back to Manhattan. We are pretty flexible and easy to please; beaches, towns, etc., all of interest. I've been up to Hartford, Storrs, and New Haven a bunch but not with an infant.

Thanks in advance, go huskies!!!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Greenwich, New Haven, Storrs. BDL best. Don't waste your time in CT summer except at beach

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Is the steam train in Essex still going? I remember taking that to the ferry and going across to Gilletes Castle. (sp)

Reaction Score
Mysitc is probably the right answer but going to throw my city Middletown into the mix. Great restaurants, amatos toy store, kid city, Wesleyan. Our downtown is 2nd to none in CT in my opinion.

Also a Middletown guy--and completely agree. Middletown has its warts in the north end, but overall it's a fantastic place to live.

Reaction Score
If it's just a couple and an infant, I'd recommend Stonington. Super relaxing, good food, pretty downtown by the water and if your kid is too young to even take it in, it doesn't have the same tourist hustle as Mystic.

Reaction Score
Mystic is the correct answer... However, the Middletown option is an interesting one. Besides those two, I can't think of another place that would legit be "nice" to stop in with an infant.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Driving from ME to NYC will take you through Worcester to 90W to 84W.

Why anyone would spend extra time on 95 is puzzling to me.

With an 18 month old, do you self a favor and find a decent hotel with a pool and don't over complicate it.

Or do it in one trip if you are starting from the Portland area or south (downeast).

Reaction Score
If you don't like tourists, long lines/waits or even people, try Bridgeport. No hotel there so you can't stay the night.

It's the perfect pandemic spot, if that's an issue.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Driving from ME to NYC will take you through Worcester to 90W to 84W.

Why anyone would spend extra time on 95 is puzzling to me.

With an 18 month old, do you self a favor and find a decent hotel with a pool and don't over complicate it.
To that end, when our kids were young we used to stay at a hotel in Northampton, MA that had an indoor pool surrounded by hotel rooms, and we would book one of the rooms right on the pool so we could have easy access while the kids were swimming. The Eric Carle Museum and Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory were nearby attractions that they liked. And we liked the craft beer joints and good restaurants.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To that end, when our kids were young we used to stay at a hotel in Northampton, MA that had an indoor pool surrounded by hotel rooms, and we would book one of the rooms right on the pool so we could have easy access while the kids were swimming. The Eric Carle Museum and Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory were nearby attractions that they liked. And we liked the craft beer joints and good restaurants.
Just don't go here. Indoor Water Park & Resort | Boston Resort | Great Wolf Lodge You'll want to claw your ears off (thank God I'm mostly deaf). The chlorine is suffocating as well.

@baako1 I think the answer depends on that I-90 to I-84 vs I-95 decision. If I-95, Mystic could make sense. In summer it will tend to be mobbed. Not sure I'd want that with an infant. Providence could work as well. What do you want? A place to stay the night? Or just to stop for food and drink? Do you like beer? Averse to bringing the kid to a brewery (I used to with mine)?

Reaction Score
Depending on which highway you want, I would just do UConn. The campus hotel has been completely redone some time in the last few years and is nice enough. Downtown storrs, walk about campus, dairy bar… good easy stuff for a 18 month old

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom