Stop-over city in CT? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stop-over city in CT?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Correct answer. BTW, is there anyone out of state that takes a vacation in Connecticut?

Depends on how you define "vacation" New Yorkers come to CT to say they are going to the suburbs or the hills... but the places they are going to are really New York light.

Reaction Score
@husky429 and @Kemba Time , I am a big Middletown fan and go there very often, especially en route too and/or from UConn games.

Once upon a time, @tentoes4rings , @Huskybass , @Dove, @DogsBreath2u (rip) and I met up at La Boca for an @August_West show and UConn game watch.

Middletown is aptly-named, i.e., conveniently located mid-way between many points of interest.

Keep us in the loop for a meet-up.
Sicily treated me and Matty Ahbeetz well. Possible meet up spot?

Reaction Score
Depends on how you define "vacation" New Yorkers come to CT to say they are going to the suburbs or the hills... but the places they are going to are really New York light.
All new yorkers who come to ct to vacation own a home or cottage on the shoreline. Some might stop at mystic or the blackjack table on the way to the cape.middletown is not a destination

Reaction Score
You're probably going to get a hundred different answers but I'd suggest Mystic. Right off of 95 and with decent weather there will be enough to walk around and see/do.
Going this way on the way back from Maine takes you way out of the way but if you are travelling this way try Newport, RI

Reaction Score
Sicily treated me and Matty Ahbeetz well. Possible meet up spot?

Agreed Sicily along with Eli’s or Celtic are probably the best options.

If enough people are interested we could do a meet up sooner than a UConn game next season. Say maybe to watch an upcoming NBA finals game?

Reaction Score
All new yorkers who come to ct to vacation own a home or cottage on the shoreline. Some might stop at mystic or the blackjack table on the way to the cape.middletown is not a destination
New Yorkers also go to the Northwest Hills in droves. They drive the real estate prices. You’d be very surprised how many go to the northeast corner too. Brian Dennehy and Rene Zellweger were both Quiet Corner long timers. Quite a few titans of industry and Wall St hiding out there too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You’d be very surprised how many go to the northeast corner too. Brian Dennehy and Rene Zellweger were both Quiet Corner long timers. Quite a few titans of industry and Wall St hiding out there too.
Does Calhoun still have a house in Pomfret?

I know he sold his Madison house a few years ago and bought one in Green Hill, RI. but I don't remember if he kept his Pomfret place.

Reaction Score

I know he sold his Madison house a few years ago and bought one in Green Hill, RI. but I don't remember if he kept his Pomfret place.
I’m sure he did. He needed somewhere to live while coaching St Joe’s and he’s been at UConn a ton in the last year. Unless he downsized and moved to Glastonbury or something, I’d bet he’s still there.

Reaction Score
New Yorkers also go to the Northwest Hills in droves. They drive the real estate prices. You’d be very surprised how many go to the northeast corner too. Brian Dennehy and Rene Zellweger were both Quiet Corner long timers. Quite a few titans of industry and Wall St hiding out there too.
Denney was born in bpt .zellweger from tejas,..there not n.y.ers

Reaction Score
Litchfield county on a summer weekend is like 25% New Yorkers. Litchfield, Washington, Kent, Salisbury, just so many New Yorkers.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Put it on my tombstone
I remember that the bartender heard me expressing my dislike for Malbec. He listened, said he understood why I had that reaction, and then offered me a taste of one that he thought might change my mind. He was right. I didn't love it, but it was totally quaffable and I didn't didn't dislike it. Nice touch.

Reaction Score
That explains why a ham on rye a pickle and a bag of chips put me out 27 bucks

Reaction Score
First of all, not including Vecchitto's is sacrilege. I spend way, way too much there over the summer.

Makes me happy to know that place is still around. Almond and watermelon were my go-tos when I was a kid.

Reaction Score

Found a retirement article from November 2021. Calhoun said, “There is a very happy lady back home in Pomfret right now”. So, yep.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Don’t know where home is. If you are headed down the I95 corridor then Mystic and New Haven are great choices depending on what you like to do. If you are headed further west head over to the northwest corner of Connecticut say Kent Falls. Personally I was born and raised in Norwalk and my bride was from Stamford and we both worked at Greenwich Hospital so we would tend to stop there to see family and relive

Reaction Score
I’ll add to the Middletown love, it’s a great place to live and a great place to visit. We have a 9-month-old and absolutely love taking him around town.

Breakfast at O’Rourke’s or cross the bridge to Sarah’s on Main in Portland, Coffee at Perkatory, take a walk down the harbor, your kid will love Amato’s toy store and RJ Julia bookstore next door to each other and there’s even a place called Kid City downtown.

Way too many lunch/dinner options to list here but Krust, Mondo, Celtic Cavern, Sicily and Whey Stationary are some of our favorites. Beers on the beach at Eli Cannon’s or a trip over to Stubborn Beauty/Spoke & Spy/Forrest City for brews, cider and a food truck.

Wesleyan’s campus is beautiful and very walkable with a baby in the summer, Wadsworth Falls is right there and there are a ton of trails in the area.
Red Fox has become a food destination.

Reaction Score
Thanks, everyone. This is super helpful. We're still figuring it out but will report back!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom