Stewie had a great weekend..... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stewie had a great weekend.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is hard to compare Stewie, or anybody for that matter, to Maya as a shooter. I don't think anyone shoots they ball as perfectly as Maya. I remember Geno said one time that he was always amazed when her shot didn't go in .

I think Stewie's problem is her fingers are too long. She should curl them in a bit when she grabs the ball. That would offset her elbows sticking out. :D

2 TO GO

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Problem with all these pictures is that they are from different camera angles and not say taken from the basket or at least the basket stanchion. Until I see pictures taken from dead straight on and preferably not from below it is impossible to judge the exact alignment or to compare the different players.
What I do know is that Stewart has an incredibly heigh release point, probably higher than either Maya or Kaleena though I am not exactly sure of that. And that she has a very repeatable motion that has led to her shooting a high percentage throughout her career. While everything may not be perfectly aligned on all her shots, that is true for every player as well, and if her 'prefect form' shot is not exactly aligned I don't think there is any analytical data that suggests say a 5 degree change in angle on an elbow results in a change in accuracy for a specific player. Human bodies are infinitely variable and while you can say statistics prove that for the 'average body' this is the best possible, most repeatable, and simplest form - finding that 'average body' will take you the rest of your lifetime and your heirs lifetimes.
And she has had some bad shooting nights as have every other great shooter I have watched regardless of their form.
I will also admit that as a whole this year while Stewart has been playing at a very high level, she has not been shooting quite as well on the year as I expected, but that is as much a factor of her having missed a number of layups hooks and scoops around the basket that I don't remember her missing last year as her distance shooting, and those shots are completely different from her jump shot so have no bearing on this discussion.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Don't like it, then don't read it.
Impossible when you post more than anyone else combined.

If you can't take the comments then don't post.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
It is remarkable that Stewart shoots as well as he does, considering the length of the levers involved. Her small mechanical inconsistencies get magnified just because of the length of her arms. Great shooting tends to correlate with shorter wingspans. That a player with the wingspan of an NBA center shoots as well he does is remarkable, but it is magnified when she is off. Especially because she doesn't have the consistent mechanics of someone like Maya.

I hope you don't mind me attaching my own amendment to you position, but I believe that you should include her huge hands in your statement above. All that you said plus her hand size as compared to the ball make it more difficult to have a consistent release from below and have good spin.

I think it's remarkable/amazing she has the outside game she does with her frame.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Miami, I agree with everything in your posts. Camera angles are huge as is stop frame photos rather than video. I have been watching Stewie's shot on the game video like all of us. That is where I noticed the form issues initially.

Biff, Her hands are, also, very large but so are Maya's.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Hey, Icebear what's up this elbow being 3.5 degrees to far west ? Explain please.
West? Where Phil? Might be an auto spell error I didn't catch. Sorry.

In the video you and I posted there is a great shot from directly behind Maya that shows her alignment shooting straight down her arm alignment. It is at 2:35-2:42.

Last edited:

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
This conversation reminds me of a story I read years ago about Lou Little, the legendary football coach at Columbia (yes Columbia) from 1930 into the 1950's.

Seems he had a punter who could kick the ball 70 yards in the air with great hang time, with either foot, barefooted. One day Little caught an assistant coach trying to teach the kid proper punting technique.

Little fired the assistant on the spot.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Impossible when you post more than anyone else combined.

If you can't take the comments then don't post.
Comments are fine. I wouldn't take the time if I didn't enjoy the exchange of ideas. But your comment was literally comatose. ;)

Just be glad I didn't intro muscle train theory into the discussion. It is my current reading. http://www.anatomytrains.com

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Comments are fine. I would take the time if I didn't enjoy the exchange of ideas. But your comment was literally comatose.

Just be glad I didn't intro muscle train theory into the discussion. It is my current reading. http://www.anatomytrains.com
It was your posts that made me that way.

Reaction Score
Never seen quite so much rubbish in one thread.:eek:
Oh well at least one of our most popular feuds has been rekindled; very entertaining guys.:)

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Never seen quite so much rubbish in one thread.:eek:
Oh well at least one of our most popular feuds has been rekindled; very entertaining guys.:)

My fault for starting this...:eek: But I sure got the OP picture right....;) I include myself...:rolleyes:

Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
Why don't you try and engage and maybe we both can learn instead you resorting "I'm rubber and your glue," playground answers.

Icebear, I like your counter punches!!! Don't forget the left hook once a while...Ha ha..

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I do apologize if this is boring to some of you but this is the type of stuff that get's the coach in me jazzed up and going. There is material in this thread that is helpful to understand when helping to teach anyone to shoot. Small corrections when practiced until implanted in muscle memory can yield big results.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Why don't you try and engage and maybe we both can learn instead you resorting "I'm rubber and you're glue," playground answers.

Engage? Sorry, I tried that in the "jump shot" thread and it went on forever. I don't believe you even think it's possible you could be wrong on anything. So why bother.

If you can't take some ribbing, you are in the wrong place. I thought my bow and arrow comment was hysterical.

Reaction Score
I do apologize if this is boring to some of you but this is the type of stuff that get's the coach in me jazzed up and going. There is material in this thread that is helpful to understand when helping to teach anyone to shoot. Small corrections when practiced until implanted in muscle memory can yield big results.
I didn't say boring; I said entertaining.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
:eek: OMG

I could be mistaken but I think this player has his hand on top of the ball...

ray-allen-jump-shot1.jpg

Or maybe this one is better....

743352_f520.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ray shoots more open open than most would teach. So did Reggie Miller. Noone can deny the greatness of either one on the long shot. As I said earlier it is possible to cite a dozen or more great shooters in the NBA who shoot with a variety of forms. They do it by shooting hundreds and thousands of shots. It does not mean their form is the most efficient. It means they are gloriously skilled.

The best bio-mechanical form for the simplest and most repeatable action produces the best results for most. That is what you see in Maya and KML and it is something we all recognize for its artful simplicity. Your eye tells you it is pure.

Ray's hand is not as far on the top of the ball as Stewie's is. His runs from 1:00 to 4:00. Stewie's in several pictures is running from 12:00-3:00.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom