Steelers Game, Mora Take Notice… | The Boneyard

Steelers Game, Mora Take Notice…

Reaction Score
I am also a Steelers fan and we’ve struggled quite a bit, in some ways much like UConn at QB position. Our number 1 is good (Pickett) but not great and our back up, Mitch Trubiski is just not a QB for this level of football - not anymore anyways.

But yesterday, they took a chance and put their 3rd string QB Mason Rudolph against a surging Bengals team, and what do you know? This kid looked like Terry Bradshaw out there for a day and posted 124 QB Rating and hung 30+ pts on Bengals.

My point with UConn is we didn’t have to ride the Roberson train all season - he was playing good at times - definitely, but there were times he was really stinking it up out there. I wish we had the opportunity for a fair evaluation of ZT before he left or seen Tucker for a half. I’m excited for Cole W. To join out team but if and when we hit bumpy patches we’ve got to let some others get some time in at the QB position - make sure we are putting the best player at that particular time, out on the field.

Reaction Score
That is just as dumb a post as if every time a backup QB failed someone came on and said see, that means we can’t bench Roberson and anyone thinking an unseen backup must be the answer is an idiot.

Every situation is different. You think ZT should have played? Great, make your case. We all saw him play for a season and can have a discussion. But your “evidence” is beyond irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That is just sa dumb a post as if every time a backup QB failed someone came on and said see, that means we can’t bench Roberson and anyone thinking an unseen backup must be the answer is an idiot.

Every situation is different. You think ZT should have played? Great, make your case. We all saw him play for a season and can have a discussion. But your “evidence” is beyond irrelevant.
Biz,

Tell us how you really feel! Happy Holidays.

;)

Reaction Score
I think the QB plan for this year was start Fagnano, wait for Roberson to be more recovered from injury and then decide between Fagnano and Roberson. Then redshirt Turner and see how he developed. Tucker was also to redshirt and got some time in the UMass game. Fagnano got hurt which meant Roberson was in, but to my eye, Roberson hadn't recovered from his injury until perhaps the end of the season.

I don't think they were going to play Turner more than 4 games to preserve his redshirt and he played in 2 and he was the backup for most of the season.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think the Steelers QB did a great job intercepting all those Bengals passes from their 3rd string QB. Lol.

Reaction Score
I think the Steelers QB did a great job intercepting all those Bengals passes from their 3rd string QB. Lol.
Um… the interceptions didn’t impact that 124 QB Rating. Rudolph was awesome yesterday. And he did something I wish Roberson would have done more - when we desperately needed a 1st down he ran for it when nothing was there. He dove for a first down for the team.

Reaction Score
I think the QB plan for this year was start Fagnano, wait for Roberson to be more recovered from injury and then decide between Fagnano and Roberson. Then redshirt Turner and see how he developed. Tucker was also to redshirt and got some time in the UMass game. Fagnano got hurt which meant Roberson was in, but to my eye, Roberson hadn't recovered from his injury until perhaps the end of the season.

I don't think they were going to play Turner more than 4 games to preserve his redshirt and he played in 2 and he was the backup for most of the season.
Yes, all good points. I think it was mike tyson who famously said “everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.”

Whatever the plan was for Zion, he was apparently not a fan of it and bolted.

Reaction Score
Mason Rudolph has been extremely pedestrian at best in his career which spans much more than this one game. He's best known for getting hit with a helmet. Maybe UCONN could get a Gus Frerotte type to headbutt a lightly-padded concrete wall..

Reaction Score
Mason Rudolph has been extremely pedestrian at best in his career which spans much more than this one game. He's best known for getting hit with a helmet. Maybe UCONN could get a Gus Frerotte type to headbutt a lightly-padded concrete wall..
Well, if we are going to be factually accurate his record is over .500 as a backup and he’s led some incredibly mediocre steeler squads.

I am saying that based on how bad we’ve been, no more anointing a starting QB if we lose game after game after game Next season. Make sure whoever is on the field is our best option and more opportunities for someone to step up and CLAIM the position.

Reaction Score
Yes, all good points. I think it was mike tyson who famously said “everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.”

Whatever the plan was for Zion, he was apparently not a fan of it and bolted.
I think he was a fan of being redshirted if he wasn't going to start as he still has 3 years of eligibility left.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Doubt I'll be listening to sports radio until Tuesday, but they're gonna have a field day with this.

Last week it was:
  • George Pickens should be benched/cut
  • Tomlin should be fired/traded
  • Steelers should draft a QB in 1st round because Pickett gets injured too much/isn't all that good

Rudolph throws the best deep ball of the three Steelers QBs. But he's far more prone to judgement errors than Pickett. And Tomlin is all about ball security. Yesterday was basically desperation, so the typical conservative game plan went out the window. Not sure if any of the Steelers issues were actually "cured" because of this one game.

Anyway, UConn doesn't have a Pickens, who, despite being a total jackass, had his career game and helped Rudolph look like Drew Brees. Until UConn gets a burner who can actually create space, the point of this thread is pretty moot.

Reaction Score

Any sci fi fans? Isaac Asimov Foundation trilogy,.
Mora is Harry Selden inventor of PsychoHistory, NIL and the portal are the Mule, a mutant who disrupts all that is predicted in psychohistory.

Mora had a good plan based on his experience, it got destroyed by the mutant Mule, or another way, got Mike Tysoned by the NIL/Portal.

Adapt and move on, survival of the fittest.

Reaction Score
Doubt I'll be listening to sports radio until Tuesday, but they're gonna have a field day with this.

Last week it was:
  • George Pickens should be benched/cut
  • Tomlin should be fired/traded
  • Steelers should draft a QB in 1st round because Pickett gets injured too much/isn't all that good

Rudolph throws the best deep ball of the three Steelers QBs. But he's far more prone to judgement errors than Pickett. And Tomlin is all about ball security. Yesterday was basically desperation, so the typical conservative game plan went out the window. Not sure if any of the Steelers issues were actually "cured" because of this one game.

Anyway, UConn doesn't have a Pickens, who, despite being a total jackass, had his career game and helped Rudolph look like Drew Brees. Until UConn gets a burner who can actually create space, the point of this thread is pretty moot.
Well, we don’t really know what could have been which I guess is my point.

Rudolph threw some beautiful passes yesterday but I freely admit Pickens was incredible Yesterday.

We have issues that transcend the QB position - agreed. But at very least next year, we need a QB that adapts to whatever the reality is. I said it before and say it again, we aren’t good enough for a pocket passer and whoever takes over will need to R….U…N a bit to open things up.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Keep playing as an independent and getting your kicked every weekend and you’ll see every QB

Reaction Score
If mora ever started a 3rd string QB and lost the yard would want him Kiffin’d

Reaction Score
Any sci fi fans? Isaac Asimov Foundation trilogy,.
Mora is Harry Selden inventor of PsychoHistory, NIL and the portal are the Mule, a mutant who disrupts all that is predicted in psychohistory.

Mora had a good plan based on his experience, it got destroyed by the mutant Mule, or another way, got Mike Tysoned by the NIL/Portal.

Adapt and move on, survival of the fittest.

Mora riled up the base and that played a big part of raising some NIL for football.

Reaction Score
I’m glad they benched qb1 in Pittsburgh. He was not winning and Tomlin had the strength of courage to bench his struggling qb and go with #3.

Reaction Score
People loved the idea of ZT more than they actually want ZT. A running QB who doesn't run and also doesn't pass. We already have one of those in TR.

Reaction Score
That is just as dumb a post as if every time a backup QB failed someone came on and said see, that means we can’t bench Roberson and anyone thinking an unseen backup must be the answer is an idiot.

Whoa, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

Reaction Score
I am also a Steelers fan and we’ve struggled quite a bit, in some ways much like UConn at QB position. Our number 1 is good (Pickett) but not great and our back up, Mitch Trubiski is just not a QB for this level of football - not anymore anyways.

But yesterday, they took a chance and put their 3rd string QB Mason Rudolph against a surging Bengals team, and what do you know? This kid looked like Terry Bradshaw out there for a day and posted 124 QB Rating and hung 30+ pts on Bengals.

My point with UConn is we didn’t have to ride the Roberson train all season - he was playing good at times - definitely, but there were times he was really stinking it up out there. I wish we had the opportunity for a fair evaluation of ZT before he left or seen Tucker for a half. I’m excited for Cole W. To join out team but if and when we hit bumpy patches we’ve got to let some others get some time in at the QB position - make sure we are putting the best player at that particular time, out on the field.
I disagree, We had a full season to evaluate Zion, albeit as a freshman.

He threw for barely over 100 yds / game & I thought he was slow footed. And then he ended the season with probably his worst performance in the bowl game. On the plus side - he managed to mostly avoid reckless turnovers & that was enough, along with a better defense that year, to get Uconn to 6 wins. But we still needed an upgrade at QB though because ZT showed he wasn’t the answer.

To me - Roberson, while not great, was a clear upgrade over Zion. There were other reasons Uconn took a step backward.

Reaction Score
I think he was a fan of being redshirted if he wasn't going to start as he still has 3 years of eligibility left.
Well can we have his the 80K back we likely spent on him this year?

I am not saying anything to criticize you post - it is what it is and thanks for insight.

But once we started going down the tubes as someone with 4 season tix I don’t care what ZT wanted - put him on the field.

In fact this whole idea of red shirting should be mostly trashed IMO. Medical issue, documented, miss 90% of season okay I guess But that’s it.

Reaction Score
Whoa, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed!
Yeah I guess that happens sometimes. I respect businesslawywer as he is solid contributor here.

But we all have those days and I too am not immune!

For this thread, I was just venting a bit because Steelers remind me a bit of UConn. If we want to dig into it even more, Mason Rudolph was playing with a whole sh@tload of backups Sat. including some off practice squad. We were really banged up and honestly it was a legendary performance.

Maybe it was just for one game but got me to thinking about the games Roberson had where I couldn’t believe Mora kept sending him back on the field.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom